Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Actually, I think both J. Michael Straczynski's Thor and Amazing Spider-Man are super overrated.

Thor wouldn't be anything special without Coipel's art, and ASM is buoyed by nostalgia for the pre-OMD era.

Quote Originally Posted by KC View Post
    Jim Starlin's cosmic stuff like Infinity Gauntlet.
    Hopefully you're referring to the later stuff and not his original runs on Captain Marvel and Warlock.
    I’ll don the mask and wear the cape
    If I am super, how can I wait?

Extraordinary Member Omega Alpha's Avatar

Jason Aaron's Thor. The God Butcher story is great, but afterwards (even before Jane becomes Thor) becomes unreadable

Extraordinary Member Zero Hunter's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Steroid View Post
    Morrison's New X-Men is one that comes to mind for me. The whole Xorneto reveal was just weak AF.
    People get pissed when I point it out but all Morrison did was a "greatest hits" of Claremonts run. Every story he did is just a knock of of one Claremont did a decade or more earlier. There was nothing really "fresh" about his run.

Extraordinary Member Zero Hunter's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Omega Alpha View Post
    Jason Aaron's Thor. The God Butcher story is great, but afterwards (even before Jane becomes Thor) becomes unreadable
    Aaron took so much from Dan Jurgens run and just repackaged it. Look at his big creation Gor. It is basically just a copy of Desak the God Slayer from Jurgens run. Even their origins are pretty close. Same with having a female Thor. Jurgens did it first only his wasn't Jane and was an alien in a teen body.

I'll add my voice to the Bendis haters. I haven't read anything by him that I have enjoyed.

I'm also going to add Hickman's work in general. I don't think his work is bad, but it's not as great as everyone touts it to be. I feel that he doesn't think through the implications of how his work will impact the greater MU and often moves things too far in a direction that future writers won't be able to continue with (not due to lack of skill, but just because they have been written into a corner).

Quote Originally Posted by Zero Hunter View Post
    People get pissed when I point it out but all Morrison did was a "greatest hits" of Claremonts run. Every story he did is just a knock of of one Claremont did a decade or more earlier. There was nothing really "fresh" about his run.
    Morrison uses they/them/their pronouns.

Not really a run but a Marvel event I find a bit overrated and it's called World War Hulk. I found Planet Hulk far more interesting but of the two it gets less recognition then it's sequel which just boils down to a WWE meme "Cena wins lol" only insert the Hulk in Cena's spot. This might be a hot take but at times WWH felt like a Hulk fanfic. I guess I just prefer Planet Hulk and am bummed it gets less attention and whenever it does it gets overshadowed by WWH.

Quote Originally Posted by ComicNoobie View Post
    Not really a run but a Marvel event I find a bit overrated and it's called World War Hulk. I found Planet Hulk far more interesting but of the two it gets less recognition then it's sequel which just boils down to a WWE meme "Cena wins lol" only insert the Hulk in Cena's spot. This might be a hot take but at times WWH felt like a Hulk fanfic. I guess I just prefer Planet Hulk and am bummed it gets less attention and whenever it does it gets overshadowed by WWH.
    I can get that. I think for fans at the time it felt cathartic because so much of the Illuminati had gotten away with their crimes or being jerks or their general hubris to the point where Hulk steamrolling them felt like actual justice. It's why Bill Fosters' son joined up with the Warbound because his dad was killed in Civil War.

But Planet Hulk is top tier.

Astonishing Member your_name_here's Avatar

After Absolute Carnage (and I suppose Venom Island wasn’t terrible) Donny Cates’ Venom was very poor.

Never really quite understood the hype surrounding New X-Men, but maybe I came into it late. My issue with Morrison is they miss out the personal elements. Wiping out Genosha was a statistic, not a tragedy.

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    I can get that. I think for fans at the time it felt cathartic because so much of the Illuminati had gotten away with their crimes or being jerks or their general hubris to the point where Hulk steamrolling them felt like actual justice. It's why Bill Fosters' son joined up with the Warbound because his dad was killed in Civil War.

But Planet Hulk is top tier.
    When you put it like that, it makes sense. The Illuminati totally had that beatdown coming. Especially Dr. Strange! How could Strange backstab his old Defenders teammate? I didn't hate WWH, it had some cool scenes like the fight with the X-Men. I think I just prefer when Hulk uses his smarts and uber strength to overcome the odds, which is one of the aspects I enjoyed about Planet Hulk's story. But I think my favorite iteration of a overpowered Hulk has to have been the Immortal Hulk run, because of how unique the Devil Hulk was and using his undead powers in really awesome fights, but also gave him weaknesses so he's not too broken to the point of unbeatable.

Fantastic Member

Glass half full with Hickman. Truly enjoyed the Fantastic Four work, truly despised the Avengers run. Found it disjointed, though I did enjoy the cast he played with, beyond setting up Secret Wars, which I passed on, and creating a Rogers/Stark rift again, what was the point? I’ve not read a single issue of the X-Men yet but I intend to at some point. Monthlies are winding down for me, so one that’s over, I plan to catch up.

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by ComicNoobie View Post
    When you put it like that, it makes sense. The Illuminati totally had that beatdown coming. Especially Dr. Strange! How could Strange backstab his old Defenders teammate?
    Not for nothing, but it wasn't the first time Strange exiled Hulk. See Hulk attacking the sanctum in #299 and then after the Avengers fight in #300 Strange sends him to the crossroads of reality because he REALLY WAS a serious threat to everyone. It's not like the Illuminati suddenly decided "Hulk Bad" and sent him off world. Someone with that much power, with anger management issues, and SERIOUS mental illness? Same with Sentry.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by charliehustle415 View Post
    I'm that renegade, I love that run and I mostly enjoy most of Bendis' works (no being facetious)
    I love the Bendis Avengers run through the end of Siege; after that I only like it.

He really has dropped in recent years, though. For example, I had trouble getting through the first 30 pages of his new OGN series Phenomena. Put it down; don't know if I'll pick it back up.

Incredible Member

Squadron Supreme (Gruenwald).

Starlin cosmic stuff. His stuff only clicked for me in the original Infinity Gauntlet; then a long gap for cosmic Marvel until DnA happened.

Anything written by Stan Lee. I understand his stuff is foundational, but it's not enjoyable to read. Most comics from the 60s and 70s aren't, unless you grew up on that stuff. For me, if someone came out of an MCU Spidey movie and wanted to read the comics, I would hand them Ultimate Spider-Man. Never in a million years would I hand the first ASM omni to a non-comics reader or anyone under 30 years of age. Not to say Bendis is a better writer than Lee (though for my money, he is), but that Ultimate Spidey would be a lot more palatable to people that have never read comics and/or only seen the MCU and/or don't have a comics-reading parent putting their thumb on the scale. And it's not that "oh man the kids these days, they need instant gratification and flashy shit and can't grasp the pathos of Spider-Man No More or This Man This Monster"; it's just that, a) the Ditko/Romita artwork, when put next to Bagley, just doesn't compare. Again, not saying Bagley is a better artist (he is, for me; just trying to remain quality neutral); just that his much more fluid artwork would appeal a lot more to new readers, 9 times out of 10. The dialogue and character motivations too are much better and organic under Bendis. I loved how J Jonah Jameson had a change of heart towards Peter, whereas in 616 he was doing the Spider-Man Menace thing for decades.

So yeah, I don't own any omnibus that cover the 60s or prior (except the Steranko SHIELD stuff). It's a slog to get through.
    Last edited by newparisian; 10-16-2022 at 05:53 PM.