Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    ...of the Black Priests Midnight_v's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by newparisian View Post
    Are you saying that's an example of bad writing? Because that reads pretty badass to me. The further Clint moves away from Cap's influence, the more his rough-n-tumble carny brawler side comes out.
    I agree that's good enough that I wanna go and buy that series. I wonder what people are looking for if they complain about strong writing like this.
    My priority is enjoying and supporting stories of timeless heroism and conflict.
    Everything else is irrelevant.

Just about every pre 2000 series I’ve looked at doesn’t grab me. I’ve read some of the 80’s X-Men and the dialogue is just clunky. I see good concepts though. Silver age books I don’t even try to read anymore.

Quote Originally Posted by rhaenylis View Post
    I would say the Outback era (Claremont and Silvestri's UXM)
    Agree on this. Never really got it.

Quote Originally Posted by Panic View Post
    I'm not sure I believe a particular run can be overrated if we're just talking about its popularity rather than saying it's great writing. However, in the spirit of the thread:

Claremont's Excalibur run. I felt it leant very heavily on Alan Davis' art, something that really showed through every time Davis took a break.
    I think I'm the only person that doesn't actually love Davis' art! I can see it's good and all, but the faces all have the same eyes, and are often standing with bent legs. I appreciate I'm ploughing a lonely furrow.

Quote Originally Posted by newparisian View Post
    Are you saying that's an example of bad writing? Because that reads pretty badass to me. The further Clint moves away from Cap's influence, the more his rough-n-tumble carny brawler side comes out.
    Clint distanced himself from Cap back in the '80s, when he was appointed chairman of the West Coast branch & became quite adept at his new job.
    All that, while keeping his mask & costume. Sure, it wasn't "indy" enough for many. But, it was still an enjoyable reading experience (IMHO):

Quote Originally Posted by Midnight_v View Post
    I agree that's good enough that I wanna go and buy that series. I wonder what people are looking for if they complain about strong writing like this.
    Clearly, those people have some sort of agenda going on...

Last edited by K7P5V; 10-19-2022 at 02:24 PM. Reason: Made Adjustments.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by K7P5V View Post
    Clint distanced himself from Cap back in the '80s, when he was appointed chairman of the West Coast branch & became quite adept at his new job.
    All that, while keeping his mask & costume. Sure, it wasn't "indy" enough for many. But, it was still an enjoyable reading experience (IMHO):

I'm not sure I understand what you're saying. Are you saying that because of the above, present-day Clint wouldn't use Cap as an example of an upright do-gooder (to contrast with himself) in order to scare some thugs? The same way we have Cyclops and Wolverine or Batman and Superman. One each of those gets to act like the "bad cop" when the boy scout isn't around.

Formerly Assassin Spider Huntsman Spider's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Solid Snake View Post
    Ed Brubaker's Captain America for me. I think a few years later Nick Spencer showed everybody how it should be done by using similar themes with Brubaker.
    Bold proclamation there. Not that I entirely disagree with it, though.
    The spider is always on the hunt.

Astonishing Member

Infinity gauntlet

I don't get why it pops up in the best runs articles every time, and mostly ranked at number 1. I mean its not bad but not really great either.

Extraordinary Member Zero Hunter's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by milton75 View Post
    I think I'm the only person that doesn't actually love Davis' art! I can see it's good and all, but the faces all have the same eyes, and are often standing with bent legs. I appreciate I'm ploughing a lonely furrow.
    I am with you on this one. It became so much worse when he started working with Mark Farmer as his primary inker. The combo of those two is just not good and ruins Davis's art.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Steroid View Post
    Morrison's New X-Men is one that comes to mind for me. The whole Xorneto reveal was just weak AF.

I wholeheartedly concur

Quote Originally Posted by Username taken View Post
    This.

JMS Thor wasn’t what it’s cracked up to be.
    Especially in comparison with Dan Jurgens's very overlooked and excellent take/run on Thor. As far as modern stories go (Heroes Return and on).

Latverian ambassador Iron Maiden's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Tofali View Post
    I really REALLY tried to get in to it but I gave it up. It was cruelly boring lol! but I did love his New Avengers (I was anticipating each issue)

My take is that the reason why Hickman's Avengers title is lackluster is that it was mostly forced on him when Marvel's CEO at that time Ike Perlmutter angrily ordered the Fantastic Four cancelled because Marvel was having a hard time getting the Fantastic Four movie rights back from Fox. So the title he was working on was the Fantastic Four and he still had some plots going on there. He picks up on some of that in the New Avengers, which IMO was the better of his two Avengers titles.
    Last edited by Iron Maiden; 10-21-2022 at 03:18 PM.

BANNED
    http://www.fantomas-lives.com/fanto47.htm

Quote Originally Posted by H-E-D View Post
    Actually, I think both J. Michael Straczynski's Thor and Amazing Spider-Man are super overrated.

Thor wouldn't be anything special without Coipel's art, and ASM is buoyed by nostalgia for the pre-OMD era.
    and here I thought those were considered fails as the buzz wore off and are now considered detours.

Unfortunately, my pick would hardly be considered a detour but a full ownership of character for more than a decade - Peter David's Hulk leaves me cold. Grey Hulk started well and fresh but by time we get to nut sack version of the Leader the book got too in love with itself and its own universe of sorts.
    Last edited by 4theEarth; 10-21-2022 at 03:25 PM. Reason: adds

BANNED
    http://www.fantomas-lives.com/fanto47.htm

Quote Originally Posted by HaveAtThee View Post
    Especially in comparison with Dan Jurgens's very overlooked and excellent take/run on Thor. As far as modern stories go (Heroes Return and on).
    It suffers for the art IMHO.

Quote Originally Posted by Zero Hunter View Post
    I am with you on this one. It became so much worse when he started working with Mark Farmer as his primary inker. The combo of those two is just not good and ruins Davis's art.
    The majority probably won't agree, but I've always liked the team-up between Alan Davis & Paul Neary (XD)

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by Shadowcat View Post
    Bendis’s Avengers, Morrison’s New X-Men
    I think most of Morrison's creations for his mutants are all edgy and jerk. Especially with Kid Omega. I can't these types of mutants since they all look like they want to kick you a pun.