Extraordinary Member

Default Anyone remember the comic book / records combo from the 1970s?

I remember having all 5 Planet of the Apes movies on comic book/record combos. The comics were really cool with nice art. You would play the record and they had (I'm assuming) actors who would act out the dialog from the comics. It not only entertained you, but it helped teach you to read.

A lot of Disney movies had just the record or sometimes the book/record combo. I remember having The Rescuers before I ever saw the film in the theater. I also had Mickey and the Beanstalk, which I will admit was a little scary for this small child.

I'm pretty sure I also had the Wizard of Oz and the Land of Oz. I loved all of these.

Astonishing Member

I wasn't born. But I do have a few in my collection - Black Beauty, Star Wars, even have a Superman one somewhere I think.

I remember being at a friend's house and reading/listening to a Spider-Man one. I think he fought some sort of lizard man. (not his actual foe The Lizard though)

Extraordinary Member thwhtGuardian's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Somecrazyaussie View Post
    I wasn't born. But I do have a few in my collection - Black Beauty, Star Wars, even have a Superman one somewhere I think.
    I had the Superman Christmas one, it was awesome.

Looking for a friendly place to discuss comic books? Try The Classic Comics Forum!

OMG! Power Records was legendary!! My all-time fave would be the one from Neal Adams about Dracula/Wolfman/Frankenstein

Last edited by K7P5V; 10-17-2022 at 03:06 PM. Reason: Made Adjustments.

I got a Transformers book that came with a record in the mid 80's.

Extraordinary Member

It's cool to see that there were DC and Marvel comics in this form.

I only remember movies and cartoons.

Astonishing Member

I had a few DC records -- there were not books attached as there were with the Marvel records. One had a Neal Adams cover with Batman, Catwoman and what looked like Wildcat. It was actually Bruce Wayne in an outfit similar to Wildcat's, and he was called Catman. The premise was Catwoman hynpotized Bruce Wayne to fight Batman. Obviously, the cover was artistic license. I don't recall much else. I also had a record with Aquaman, and Flash.

I preferred Marvel's comic book adaptations that include the story so you could listen along as you read.

I also had a Spider-Man album that was part of a cereal promotion -- but the stories and villains used were lame.

Power records had some crazy comics that were pretty uncut like tomb of Dracula, marvels Frankenstein and man-thing that did not censor the deaths.

The later ones in the 80s would not have as many deaths!

Here is man-things. Record only not the comic.

As for read along records/ tapes most i grew up with were not comics but books like he-man, transformers, gremlins and alvin and the chipmunks in the 80s.

Our school did have a superman read along comic and record however but only the comic! No record.
    Last edited by Gaastra; 10-28-2022 at 06:22 PM.

This thread sent me searching for Power Records on the web. Holy wow! I had no idea how many titles Power Records produced. There’s a lot of information out there on the web. They’re not even that expensive to pick up off Discogs.com, either.

when i was a kid we had this

and this

i remember the Red Tornado's voice creeping me out.