Page 2 of 16 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Sacred Knight View Post
    I don't think Supergirl should be in it either. If things hadn't been botched for ten years and we were on our fourth or fifth film, sure. But a soft reboot scenario and his first solo in that amount of time? No other hero should be in this. Fudge everyone else, especially Batman.
    When Calle was announced as Supergirl, Routh and Benoist congratulated her but Cavill didn’t. He might want to leave her out, we’ll see, but Flash apparently ends with Cavill and Calle together greeting Barry. That’s an easy segue way into the next Cavill Superman movie featuring her if he wants to. If she’s really as good in the role as leakers think it might be a good idea to have someone for Cavill to bounce off of, because Lord knows he’s not a strong solo act.

But I agree that ideally it would be better if the movie focused just on Cavill. Johns Brainiac arc which I’m certain the next movie will take inspiration from already featured Supergirl in a secondary role. Be simple to just use that.
    For when my rants on the forums just aren’t enough: https://thevindicativevordan.tumblr.com/

Hmm, I guess I could be sold on Supergirl if it was inspired by that arc. I kinda forgot about it. I want Brainiac anyway, so if she were to fit in that way then I wouldn't have a problem.
    "They can be a great people Kal-El, they wish to be. They only lack the light to show the way. For this reason above all, their capacity for good, I have sent them you. My only son." - Jor-El

Hmm, I guess I could be sold on Supergirl if it was inspired by that arc. I kinda forgot about it. I want Brainiac anyway, so if she were to fit in that way then I wouldn't have a problem.
    Something like this would be perfect:

Cavill gets to be comforting and encouraging to Sasha and she gets a cool moment to show her stuff. Meanwhile Cavill gets his own badass moments:

Which lets him be the one who takes down the Big Bad, doing so in a way that lighter than under Snyder, but still retains some edge.
    For when my rants on the forums just aren’t enough: https://thevindicativevordan.tumblr.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Jeffrey2 View Post
    So, no Lois? Give the screen time to Calle? How about giving Jimmy's screen time to Calle too? See the danger of making this a team film? It becomes as much about Supergirl as Superman and as such is not a Superman solo. Cavill gets screwed again a la BvsS. His screen time significantly reduced. I can see that happening if Calle is as great as Supergirl as reports suggest. This is likely the only Superman solo we get so make it a Superman film - not a launching pad for another character WBD may have more faith in.
    I'm not really in favor of a Superman/Supergirl team-up, but if they went that way, I'd be content if the relationship-building were between those two.

My preference which may never happen again in my lifetime is if we got some bread-and-butter Superman and Lois. Everything these days just skips to the middle part of their relationship.
    Last edited by DochaDocha; 10-17-2022 at 06:55 PM.

The Man Who Cannot Die manwhohaseverything's Avatar

The idea of abrams/coates movies was really nice..Too bad might not happen..I just hope(yep!) someone else comes along and decides to make that superman happen..I hate geoff johns writing.Yuck! especially after the doomsday clock dud.
    Last edited by manwhohaseverything; 10-17-2022 at 07:26 PM.
    "People’s Dreams... Have No Ends"

Quote Originally Posted by DochaDocha View Post
    I'm not really in favor of a Superman/Supergirl team-up, but if they went that way, I'd be content if the relationship-building were between those two.

My preference which may never happen again in my lifetime is if we got some bread-and-butter Superman and Lois. Everything these days just skips to the middle part of their relationship.
    If Calle is perfect for the role as reports suggest and Cavill is not - to the point where many here are hoping for a director who can pull out a good Superman performance from Cavill then well, that tells you all you need to know. Calle could overpower Cavill as Affleck did. What happens - the polls after the film have moviegoers clamoring for a Supergirl film but not so much more Superman. If they bring Calle in, I bet it's against the wishes of Cavill. Who knows if he has enough creative control to keep Calle out of the film. There seems to be jealousy there if you read the tea leaves. He likely knows how well she's been received, and this could further solidify the impression he is not right for the role.

In the end it may make no never mind. Cavill, IMO, has signed for just a couple of films. He's too busy with other projects. The plan may be to use the film to launch Calle as the replacement for Superman in the DCEU, assuming Cavill won't do more Superman, until there is a hard reboot of the DCEU at which point a new Superman actor is cast.
    Last edited by Jeffrey2; 10-17-2022 at 08:04 PM.

Extraordinary Member Mantis-Ray's Avatar

Gotta say I'd be glad if this got cancelled. Not a fan of either Abrams or Coates so this would be a blessing in disguise.

We're better off not seeing what Coates would do to Superman, both his runs on Black Panther and Captain America were pretty middling.

Quote Originally Posted by Vordan View Post
    Something like this would be perfect:

Cavill gets to be comforting and encouraging to Sasha and she gets a cool moment to show her stuff. Meanwhile Cavill gets his own badass moments:

Which lets him be the one who takes down the Big Bad, doing so in a way that lighter than under Snyder, but still retains some edge.
    I wonder if they'd have Sasha grow her hair out and develop into a more traditional Supergirl in this movie.

The villain has to be Brainiac or I just give up. He’s one of Superman’s top 3 villains, he’s a physical and psychological threat, and we’ve never seen him on the big screen.

Johns’ Brainiac story would be good source material. Aspects of it were already used for Injustice 2. And I did like the loose animated adaptation Superman: Unbound. Brainiac just freaking out when he is finally forced out of his perfect sterile ship and has to step foot on one of the chaotic worlds he collects was a great scene. His computer brain couldn’t take the randomness of life.

Supergirl needs to be in it because, having seen what Brainiac did to Kandor, she can provide the backstory and convey just how big of a threat he is. Also her connection to the villain gives her character a past trauma to overcome. The storyline can also provide the elusive “relatability” that WB execs (and a lot of comic fans) have said that Superman lacks. Kal has a new young member of his family in Supergirl that he’s trying to mentor and protect while also allowing her to become a hero in her own right. The comic featured the death of Jonathan Kent so I’m wondering if they would kill off Ma Kent in his place. Another parent’s death could be too much but I can definitely see it being an appealing story point for added dramatic effect.
    Last edited by Robotman; 10-17-2022 at 10:43 PM.

If it happens I’m hoping Ma does get killed. Would serve two purposes:

1. After Injustice it would be great to have a big Superman adaption feature the villain killing a loved one of his and him not going nuts over it
    2. The DCEU Kents suck and are shitty people so the sooner they’re both in the ground the better. Burn the farm to the ground too so they don’t get tempted to take Clark out of Metropolis here.

The traditional comic book version of Kandor with mini people waiving from a big bottle probably wouldn’t work in a big budget movie. They could always do something similar to how the animated series did that aspect of Brainiac. Instead of shrunken cities, he just had orbs containing all the information of the planets he destroyed.

1. After Injustice it would be great to have a big Superman adaption feature the villain killing a loved one of his and him not going nuts over it
    2. The DCEU Kents suck and are shitty people so the sooner they’re both in the ground the better. Burn the farm to the ground too so they don’t get tempted to take Clark out of Metropolis here.
    I actually really like Diane Lane’s Ma Kent, but you’re right it may actually be a good move to show that someone close to Superman can die and he doesn’t instantly become a murderous dictator.
    Last edited by Robotman; 10-18-2022 at 12:50 AM.

Oh this entirely. After a decade of evil Superman stories and knockoffs (Brightburn, Homelander) seeing a traditional Superman will be a breath of fresh air.
    T'Challa
    A.K.A. The Black Panther
    King of Wakanda
    King of the Dead and The Champion of Bast
    Two-Time Time Magazine "Person Of The Year"
    Six-Time People Magazine "Sexiest Man Alive"

Extraordinary Member

In the short term Cavill is still okay, but moving forward I still say bringing back a lot of the old DCEU cast is problematic because they're all getting older.
    IMO, Cavill lack the acting chops, the charisma, and the likability needed to pull off Superman. He's okay in other roles, but for my money, they would have been better served to move on and recast in favor of someone who has all those things, and is younger.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by achilles View Post
    IMO, Cavill lack the acting chops, the charisma, and the likability needed to pull off Superman. He's okay in other roles, but for my money, they would have been better served to move on and recast in favor of someone who has all those things, and is younger.
    This is pretty much my take. I don’t think Cavil is a horrible actor or anything but I do think we could do way better than him.
    "I love mankind...it's people I can't stand!!"

- Charles Schultz.

Ultimate Member Last Son of Krypton's Avatar

Oh and Last Son of Krypton: I told you so
    He was in the movie back in June's test screening. The scene was the same, same suit, etc. And in Aug. it was already discovered he was there by some with source at WB like Gonzalez and a few scoopers (when they were all screaming Cavill is back!). I was going off that, as reported in other threads. I can't explain how he could've been already seen in the movie internally at WB if he was supposed to shoots in Sept. The timing doesn't add up.
    Last edited by Last Son of Krypton; 10-18-2022 at 05:54 AM.