Page 3 of 16 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast
    The Man Who Cannot Die manwhohaseverything's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by achilles View Post
    IMO, Cavill lack the acting chops, the charisma, and the likability needed to pull off Superman. He's okay in other roles, but for my money, they would have been better served to move on and recast in favor of someone who has all those things, and is younger.
    Likability of superman is overly exaggerated...Superman was polarising before cavill took the role.
    Last edited by manwhohaseverything; 10-18-2022 at 05:52 AM.
    "People’s Dreams... Have No Ends"

BANNED

There is talk of a Superman movie and the first thing fans do is say that they want another character that takes away Superman's prominence, it's normal for Superman to do poorly in movies, Superman fans don't want a Superman movie.
    If there is a Superman/Supergirl team, let it be in the Supergirl movie, because it always has to be Superman who sacrifices himself in favor of other characters, it's time to use secondary characters in favor of Superman.
    As for the movie, Brainiac is the best villain, it will be something new for the general public and hopefully it helps to see a more intelligent Superman, not just brute strength.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeffrey2 View Post
    If Calle is perfect for the role as reports suggest and Cavill is not - to the point where many here are hoping for a director who can pull out a good Superman performance from Cavill then well, that tells you all you need to know. Calle could overpower Cavill as Affleck did. What happens - the polls after the film have moviegoers clamoring for a Supergirl film but not so much more Superman. If they bring Calle in, I bet it's against the wishes of Cavill. Who knows if he has enough creative control to keep Calle out of the film. There seems to be jealousy there if you read the tea leaves. He likely knows how well she's been received, and this could further solidify the impression he is not right for the role.

In the end it may make no never mind. Cavill, IMO, has signed for just a couple of films. He's too busy with other projects. The plan may be to use the film to launch Calle as the replacement for Superman in the DCEU, assuming Cavill won't do more Superman, until there is a hard reboot of the DCEU at which point a new Superman actor is cast.
    Agreed there's a risk of Cavill looking like a second banana if there's another hero, but it's happened in the past mostly because he got sidelined for large chunks of the ensemble movies. As I like to joke, it's inexcusably bad when a movie's main supporting cast are Lois, Lex Luthor, Perry White, "Jimmy," Doomsday, Wonder Woman, etc. and somehow Superman is not the main character. Keep him front and center and he should be ok.

Quote Originally Posted by achilles View Post
    IMO, Cavill lack the acting chops, the charisma, and the likability needed to pull off Superman. He's okay in other roles, but for my money, they would have been better served to move on and recast in favor of someone who has all those things, and is younger.
    ITA but sadly they chose not to recast at this time. Probably because the plan is to sell the studio in a few years which makes recasting a waste of time and resources. Given Cavill's other projects he'll likely be in no more than two films (major roles) but if he underperforms again, it will further damage the film IP possibly to the point where Superman is relegated tp only jobber status in the DCEU.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by manwhohaseverything View Post
    Likability of superman is overly exaggerated...Superman was polarising before cavill took the role.
    Are we talking about the character’s popularity or the character’s personality? Because comics Superman had charm that’s pretty integral to the character that many feel Cavil hasn’t been able to capture either due to his lack of aching chops or the direction/script he was given.
    Last edited by Amadeus Arkham; 10-18-2022 at 07:51 AM.
    "I love mankind...it's people I can't stand!!"

- Charles Schultz.

I wonder if they'll be able to get Amy Adams and Laurence Fishburne back.

Quote Originally Posted by Amadeus Arkham View Post
    Are we talking about the character’s popularity or the character’s personality? Because comics Superman had charm that’s pretty integral to the character that many feel Cavil hasn’t been able to capture either due to his lack of aching chops or the direction/script he was given.
    Which comics?the character is 80 years old and has been used in various ways.So much so, if i say i am gonna do something different with the character then i would be bullshittin

I am talking about general opinions and popularity.. if people don't like something then how can it generate postive perception..Superman is generally liked and disliked by different people.. General Personality is one of the factors among others. Something that is meant to be liked can disliked..vice versa ofcourse.
    Last edited by manwhohaseverything; 10-18-2022 at 08:15 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Sacred Knight View Post
    The elephant in the room is going to be that Lois will probably have to be recast. By the time filming would start, she'd be pushing 50. I know, people will yell agism and get mad that its a female character that this is happening too, but Adams is nearly a decade older than Cavill. That didn't matter in 2013, a nearly-40 Lois is more than doable, but with the huge gap between projects, it's a problem now.
    No wonder I always liked them together, that's super hot ngl
    #InGunnITrust, #ZackSnyderistheBlueprint, #ReleasetheAyerCut

Quote Originally Posted by DochaDocha View Post
    Agreed there's a risk of Cavill looking like a second banana if there's another hero, but it's happened in the past mostly because he got sidelined for large chunks of the ensemble movies. As I like to joke, it's inexcusably bad when a movie's main supporting cast are Lois, Lex Luthor, Perry White, "Jimmy," Doomsday, Wonder Woman, etc. and somehow Superman is not the main character. Keep him front and center and he should be ok.
    True. Presumably Cavill has some amount of creative control - will he use that with the sequel? Can he block Supergirl from being featured altogether or can he restrict the amount of screentime she gets? As you say he may end up being the second banana in his sequel. As he was in BvsS. Cavill has nowhere near the acting chops of the other JL actors and, seemingly, Sasha Calle. Combine that with the fact that Superman is not as popular a character as some of the others and there is trouble. The Superman actor has to be, if not the best among the others, one of the best. Otherwise, his films are a recipe for disaster.

Check out the Superman/Lois scene from BvsS where Lois pulls Superman out of the bay. Cavill's performance was cringe worthy. Absolutely no chemistry with Adams who, ironically, had chemistry with Affleck. Read the reviews Cavill got for MOS and BvsS. If Cavill does not hit it out of the park in this sequel he will, as you say, become the secondary character to Sasha Calle's Supergirl, the villain actor and others. IMO Superman fans will come to regret that Cavill was brought back.
    Last edited by Jeffrey2; 10-18-2022 at 08:41 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeffrey2 View Post
    True. Presumably Cavill has a certain amount of creative control - how will he use that with the sequel? Can he block Supergirl from being featured altogether or can he restrict the amount of screentime she gets? As you say he may end up being the second banana in his sequel. As he was in BvsS. Cavill has nowhere near the acting chops of the other JL actors and, seemingly, Sasha Calle. Combine that with the fact that Superman is not as popular a character as some of the others and there is trouble in River City. The Superman actor has to be, if not the best among the others, one of the best. Otherwise, his films are a recipe for disaster.

Check out the Superman/Lois scene from BvsS where Lois pulls Superman out of the bay. Cavill's performance was cringe worthy. Absolutely no chemistry with Adams who, ironically, had chemistry with Affleck. Read the reviews Cavill got for MOS and BvsS. If Cavill does not hit it out of the park in this sequel he will, as you say, become the secondary character to Sasha Calle's Supergirl, the villain actor and others. IMO Superman fans will come to regret that Cavill was brought back.
    Ironically, or by Snyder's design?

I don't think Cavill is worse than Gal Gadot as an actor, FWIW. It's just Gal was put in a great position to succeed in the original WW film, whereas Henry was put in a position to fail for the movies after MoS.

I won't regret Cavill returning because it means sidelining ideas I feel were far worse: Supergirl replacing Superman and whatever Coates' contrarian plan was.

I wonder if cavill lurkes around here..i heard,he is a superman guy who does nerdy stuff..He is probably getting a laugh out of all the negative stuff.. Probably smiling at the non-existent camera and winking at it.

Quote Originally Posted by DochaDocha View Post
    Ironically, or by Snyder's design?

I don't think Cavill is worse than Gal Gadot as an actor, FWIW. It's just Gal was put in a great position to succeed in the original WW film, whereas Henry was put in a position to fail for the movies after MoS.

I won't regret Cavill returning because it means sidelining ideas I feel were far worse: Supergirl replacing Superman and whatever Coates' contrarian plan was.
    In hindsight we know Snyder was setting up Batman founding the JL by killing of Superman. Plus, his plan to have Lois pregnant with Bruce's baby. How anyone can want Snyder back to direct the sequel (many do) is beyond me. I'm not too happy with Roven being a producer as he's closely tied to Snyder.

I'm not so sure the old regime wasn't setting up for recasts of Cavill and Affleck via The Flash. Screen Rant reported the killing off of Supes may have been exaggerated. Supposedly a post credit scene had Flash seeing something and smiling. Presumably he saw Superman - Flash is a total Superman nerd in the film.

Give Superman a son, make them go on adventures together. Easy $$$$$$
    #InGunnITrust, #ZackSnyderistheBlueprint, #ReleasetheAyerCut

Quote Originally Posted by Pinsir View Post
    Give Superman a son, make them go on adventures together. Easy $$$$$$
    If they age him up..then all hell breaks loose.

I'm not a huge fan of Cavill as an actor but Gal Gadot is an even more one-dimensional and limited actor and Patty was able to make it work in the first Wonder Woman. I'll gladly take Cavill back if it means not sidelining the character for Supergirl. Get a good director and writer and they can work with Cavill pretty easily. And I won't deny that Henry certainly has the Superman 'look'