Page 4 of 16 FirstFirst 1234567814 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by manwhohaseverything View Post
    If they age him up..then all hell breaks loose.
    I basically quit reading DC comics after I found out they had aged him up.
    #InGunnITrust, #ZackSnyderistheBlueprint, #ReleasetheAyerCut

Astonishing Member The Frog Bros's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    I wonder if they'll be able to get Amy Adams and Laurence Fishburne back.
    I could take or leave Adams (tho I do like her in just about everything else I've seen her in), but I hope they bring Larry Fishburne back. Guy is awesome.
    “Look, you can’t put the Superman #77s with the #200s. They haven’t even discovered Red Kryptonite yet. And you can’t put the #98s with the #300s, Lori Lemaris hasn’t even been introduced.” — Sam
    “Where the hell are you from? Krypton?” — Edgar Frog

Some takeaways:

It looks as if the DCEU will have 3 Batmen - like the MCU has 3 Spidermen. The Reeves' version, Batfleck and Keaton. Guessing that Keaton will be used in a Batman Beyond scenario.

What may be a DC Black Label will get Joker and a slew of other Bat villains with their own theatrical releases or streaming projects. The prequel comic to The Batman mentions Luthor so, with Reeve's getting more solos, will Luthor be brought over as a Batman villain? I'd love that as long as Eisenberg is not Lex.

DeLuca appears to be emerging as the defacto WBD Feige. Not a bad occurrence. He's a DC comics fan, was involved with the Suicide Squad films and loves Batman and Flash. This may be why Batman appears to be set to get a ton of content and The Flash sequel is already written - before the WW3 script is finished. To the end that WBD really does have a plan, its value as a company when sold goes up - in particular if Flash and Aquaman do a billion and BA comes in at north of 700 million with Shazam doing decent at 600 - 700 million.

Duane Johnson is right there in all these stories. Will he become the chief advisor to DeLuca on all things DC? There is speculation he could take on the Feige role, but he demurred when asked about it. Not a firm no. In any case The Rock/Black Adam seems set to supplant Affleck/Batman as the face of the DCEU. When WBD is sold it's a safe bet that Johnson goes over to the new company. Making that a part of the deal enhances WBD's value to potential buyers.

Speaking of DeLuca, it's guessed that no outsider wants the gig as it's likely temporary until the studio is sold/merged. The assumption has been Comcast would buy WBD, but Campea mentioned Netflix as a possibility. Netflix tried to purchase Paramount, but the deal fell through at the last minute.
    Last edited by Jeffrey2; 10-18-2022 at 10:42 AM.

Astonishing Member

Which comics?the character is 80 years old and has been used in various ways.So much so, if i say i am gonna do something different with the character then i would be bullshittin

I am talking about general opinions and popularity.. if people don't like something then how can it generate postive perception..Superman is generally liked and disliked by different people.. General Personality is one of the factors among others. Something that is meant to be liked can disliked..vice versa ofcourse.
    Not sure what you’re trying to get at here. When talking about likability the poster was referring to the actor’s ability to capture the charm of the character. They really wasn’t talking about the character’s current level of popularity…
    "I love mankind...it's people I can't stand!!"

- Charles Schultz.

The Man Who Cannot Die manwhohaseverything's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Amadeus Arkham View Post
    Not sure what you’re trying to get at here. When talking about likability the poster was referring to the actor’s ability to capture the charm of the character. They really wasn’t talking about the character’s current level of popularity…
    I am saying superman the character itself as generally portrayed being likable was always debatable..If superman was likable or having charm he would be less polarising..I don't fault henry.I mean,john cena was called supercena in wrestling for being bland, unbeatable..etc.So you got your answer right there.John cena was written to be likable for the kids.
    "People’s Dreams... Have No Ends"

Astonishing Member

I am saying superman the character itself as generally portrayed being likable was always debatable..If superman was likable or having charm he would be less polarising..I don't fault henry.I mean,john cena was called supercena in wrestling for being bland, unbeatable..etc.So you got your answer right there.John cena was written to be likable for the kids.
    Speaking from the comics, and even other media like Reeves movies Superman has had a level of charm or likeability that endears a viewer to them. At least to a legion of comic fans and generations who grew up with the older adaptions. And I don’t even know if polarizing is exactly the right word to describe the character’s current level of popularity. If anything, I’d say the character is still pretty well liked and beloved today, although his popularity has waned somewhat, as he’s been overshadowed by the other heroes. I will say his more recent adaptions, specifically the Snyder movies and Cavil’s portrayal of the character has been what you could call ‘polarizing’ at least within fandom. Superman’s old-fashioned decency and earnestness, while others may find that endearing, others find that as corny and overly saccharine, and more darker characters, like Wolverine and Batman seem to resonant with the current crowd today than Superman. This has lead to some to dismiss the character as boring because they seem to think he’s not interesting, and view him as too goody two shoes. I think that could be fixed with a good and really well loved movie that has a stronger portrayal.
    Last edited by Amadeus Arkham; 10-18-2022 at 12:11 PM.
    "I love mankind...it's people I can't stand!!"

- Charles Schultz.

Extraordinary Member superduperman's Avatar

I'm not a fan of the Snyderverse or the DCEU as a whole and am on the fence about a reboot but I also understand other fans desire to just move on. If Cavill is Superman I can live with it. I don't like the current state of DC/Discovery but I do think they need to get their shared movie universe working again. Trying to salvage what's left of the one they have might be able to work depending on how they do it. I have no desire to see the Flash movie given Miller's behavior. In terms of getting Adams back, I don't think she cares one way or the other based on the interviews I've seen with her. Maybe if they backed a truck up to her house full of money they might be able to get her back. I think fans might be able to overlook the age thing if it means they get the old gang back together again. Put me in the camp that doesn't think they have much chemistry but I also argue that nobody in the Snyder movies had much in the way of a personality.
    Assassinate Putin!

Quote Originally Posted by Jeffrey2 View Post
    So, no Lois? Give the screen time to Calle? How about giving Jimmy's screen time to Calle too? See the danger of making this a team film? It becomes as much about Supergirl as Superman and as such is not a Superman solo. Cavill gets screwed again a la BvsS. His screen time significantly reduced. I can see that happening if Calle is as great as Supergirl as reports suggest. This is likely the only Superman solo we get so make it a Superman film - not a launching pad for another character WBD may have more faith in.
    So much this. Sometimes it look like isn't just the executives who doesn't trust Superman to carry his own weight, but also the fans. Here isn't that bad, we are just speculating, but on reddit is really bad.

The only thing worse, is when they say Braniac is too "big" for a Superman movie and should be "saved" for a Justice League movie.

Quote Originally Posted by Ra-El View Post
    So much this. Sometimes it look like isn't just the executives who doesn't trust Superman to carry his own weight, but also the fans. Here isn't that bad, we are just speculating, but on reddit is really bad.

The only thing worse, is when they say Braniac is too "big" for a Superman movie and should be "saved" for a Justice League movie.
    Yeah. Cavill as Superman is getting trashed by a good number of reddit users. They dislike what was done to the character in MOS and the follow-up films and many think it's crazy to bring the same actor back as it reinforces the negative impression many in the general viewing audience have of Superman now given how badly Superman's character was butchered in the previous films. And that bringing Adams and the others back will make things worse.

Reddit can be over the top. More significant is reaction on general movie sites. Some are glad he's back, but many don't care as they aren't interested in Superman anyway. Posters asking things like why not make a Green Lantern or whatever film instead? That group is more problematic for the film as they won't go to see it. Campea asked is the Superman film franchise viable? He wasn't sure. The odds are stacked against the film being a success. It needs a great script, great direction and a charismatic Superman actor to have a chance. Cavill isn't that actor. Bringing back Adams with whom he has no chemistry is absurd. Basically, Johnson held WBD hostage to get them to give Cavill a solo and WBD may come to regret that. For sure the film will be controversial during development, filming and up to release. Imagine the outrage of Snyder fans if Adams doesn't return. Some may boycott the film. On a positive note, the film is still years away and things can change.
    Last edited by Jeffrey2; 10-18-2022 at 05:19 PM.

Yeah. Cavill as Superman is getting trashed by a good number of reddit users. They dislike what was done to the character in MOS and the follow-up films and many think it's crazy to bring the same actor back as it reinforces the negative impression many in the general viewing audience have of Superman now given how badly Superman's character was butchered in the previous films. And that bringing Adams and the others back will make things worse.

Reddit can be over the top. The more significant thing is reaction on general movie sites to the news. Some are glad he's back, but many don't care as they aren't interested in seeing a Superman film anyway. Lots of folks asking things like why not make a Green Lantern or whatever film instead. That group is far more problematic for the film as in lots of folks simply won't go to see it. John Campea recently asked the very real question - is the Superman franchise viable in today's movie world. He wasn't sure. The odds are stacked against the film being a success. It has to have a great script, great direction and a charismatic actor in the role of Superman to have a chance. Cavill is not that actor and bringing back Adams with whom he has no chemistry is absurd. Basically, Johnson held WBD hostage to get them to give Cavill a solo and WBD may come to regret that. One thing for sure is that the film will be controversial during development, filming and up to release. Imagine the outrage of Snyder fans if Adams does not come back. Some will boycott the film. On a positive note, the film is still years away and things can change.
    I believe, as have been pointed out, that part of the lack of chemistry between Cavill and Adams have a lot to do with Snyder's choices in regard to the future plots he had in mind, is good to remember that a great part of his planed character arc for Superman revolved around him learning to connect to people by raising Batman and Lois kid (WTF?!). Cavill have some good chemistry with Anna Chalotra on The Witcher for example, and Amy Adams is a great actress, she can do chemistry. The only reason I see to not bring Adams in, is if she doesn't want back.

My problem is with the possibility of populating Superman's movie with a bunch of other heroes and the necessary nerfing that comes with it.
    Last edited by Ra-El; 10-18-2022 at 04:24 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Vordan View Post
    When Calle was announced as Supergirl, Routh and Benoist congratulated her but Cavill didn’t.
    I'm guessing that's because Cavill was likely told that Calle was his replacement, and he wasn't too happy about that. I wouldn't be happy about being replaced, either. But I do agree that we need Superman to have the focus of a movie - especially this one, because I've seen more character exploration in a 10 minute short film than he's had over three friggin' movies.

Quote Originally Posted by Vordan View Post
    Something like this would be perfect:

Cavill gets to be comforting and encouraging to Sasha and she gets a cool moment to show her stuff. Meanwhile Cavill gets his own badass moments:

Which lets him be the one who takes down the Big Bad, doing so in a way that lighter than under Snyder, but still retains some edge.
    YES. That would seriously be amazing. As long as Henry gets a large part of the focus (and not just "we spent 20 minutes on long shots so that counts as time we spent on Superman"), I'm ok with him having someone to play off of - if... IF used correctly, it could be good. They could both have character growth together, and it wouldn't feel like anyone was getting sidelined.

If Calle is perfect for the role as reports suggest and Cavill is not - to the point where many here are hoping for a director who can pull out a good Superman performance from Cavill then well, that tells you all you need to know. Calle could overpower Cavill as Affleck did. What happens - the polls after the film have moviegoers clamoring for a Supergirl film but not so much more Superman. If they bring Calle in, I bet it's against the wishes of Cavill. Who knows if he has enough creative control to keep Calle out of the film. There seems to be jealousy there if you read the tea leaves. He likely knows how well she's been received, and this could further solidify the impression he is not right for the role.

In the end it may make no never mind. Cavill, IMO, has signed for just a couple of films. He's too busy with other projects. The plan may be to use the film to launch Calle as the replacement for Superman in the DCEU, assuming Cavill won't do more Superman, until there is a hard reboot of the DCEU at which point a new Superman actor is cast.
    Funny enough, as horrible as the theatrical "Justice League" was, everyone I saw came out with one takeaway: "at least I liked Superman." That's not nothing. Cavill would be fine with a better director - but it's not just that. He needs a writer with a sense of vision, too. I'm betting that Calle was perfect for the role, in part, because the writing and the direction wasn't for her to be mostly dour for dour's sake. I'm guessing she got to enjoy herself. And even as far back as MoS, there were stories about Henry having misgivings about a scene or two, but going with Snyder's direction because it's "his vision." That's also quite a difference from Affleck, who brought in his own writer and directed himself.

Likability of superman is overly exaggerated...Superman was polarising before cavill took the role.
    These are because you've grown up in (I did, too, to a degree) an era where DC doesn't know how to market Superman, and just kept pushing Batman because it's easy (and then tried to market Superman just as they did Batman, to disasterous results). Superman has charm for days, but that charm was poisoned by things like DKR, and the company was too stupid to put together it's own counter-narrative to make sure that cynicism didn't take over the general thoughts on the character. That said, however, Superman still enjoys a lot of support - especially if you weed out the generic comics crowd. It honestly amazed me how many "normies" like Superman - and shows that, against all odds, Superman is stronger than some may think.
    Hear my new CD "Love The World Away", available on iTunes, Google Music, Spotify, Shazam, and Amazon: https://smile.amazon.com/dp/B01N5XYV..._waESybX1C0RXK via @amazon
    www.jamiekelleymusic.com
    TV interview here: https://snjtoday.com/snj-today-hotline-jamie-kelley/

Cavill is being trashed talked by some at Reddit and other places. That is not called for, but it is driven by a belief, which I share, that giving Cavill this sequel will put the final nail in the coffin of the Superman film franchise. Already there is controversy. Just wait - remember the controversies prior to the BvsS release. That Cavill was getting sidelined - Snyder denied that, but it was true. Cavill got 41 lines to Affleck's 140 or so. Batman got the best FX - the car chase for instance.

What could happen is WBD starts to have doubts about Cavill's ability to carry the film by himself - this is the reason WB followed up MOS with BvsS - to get Affleck in there to boost the film's chances. WBD "suggests" others make appearances - Batman, WW, whomever. At that point Cavill might walk. It is very early yet, and it is not out of the question that the film gets derailed.
    Last edited by Jeffrey2; 10-18-2022 at 04:51 PM.

r/superman is useful for seeing what the average casual thinks of Superman. Way too many people there think Batman needs to show up, but I wouldn’t say it’s everyone. Plenty of others would be fine with Brainiac and Supergirl
    For when my rants on the forums just aren’t enough: https://thevindicativevordan.tumblr.com/

Mighty Member

Reddit can be over the top. More significant is reaction on general movie sites. Some are glad he's back, but many don't care as they aren't interested in Superman anyway. Posters asking things like why not make a Green Lantern or whatever film instead? That group is more problematic for the film as they won't go to see it. Campea asked is the Superman film franchise viable? He wasn't sure. The odds are stacked against the film being a success. It needs a great script, great direction and a charismatic Superman actor to have a chance. Cavill isn't that actor. Bringing back Adams with whom he has no chemistry is absurd. Basically, Johnson held WBD hostage to get them to give Cavill a solo and WBD may come to regret that. For sure the film will be controversial during development, filming and up to release. Imagine the outrage of Snyder fans if Adams doesn't return. Some may boycott the film. On a positive note, the film is still years away and things can change.
    You should we gamefaqs comic boards yeah they are probably worse

I believe, as have been pointed out, that part of the lack of chemistry between Cavill and Adams have a lot to do with Snyder's choices in regard to the future plots he had in mind, is good to remember that a great part of his planed character arc for Superman revolved around him learning to connect to people by raising Batman and Lois kid (WTF?!). Cavill have some good chemistry with Anna Chalotra on The Witcher for example, and Amy Adams is a great actress, she can do chemistry. The only reason I see to not bring Adams in, is if she doesn't want back.

My problem is with the possibility of populating Superman's movie with a bunch of other heroes and the necessary nerfing that comes with it.
    Hadn't heard that. If true, that is director malfeasance. Destroy Superman and Clark/Lois over 5 films to let Superman shine in the final act of the last film? No wonder Superman is no longer a popular pop culture character. I really doubt Snyder did that and I'm not a Snyder fan.
    Last edited by Jeffrey2; 10-18-2022 at 06:16 PM.