Page 17 of 21 FirstFirst ... 7131415161718192021 LastLast

Phase 4 was a mess, i think its too early to really say the same for phase 5 but i'd say 2 out of the 3 projects have been disasters (Quantumania and Secret Invasion), while GotG altho great felt like a leftover from the earlier phases.

It fees like Marvel is undergoing an accelerated version of what happened with Star Wars where they are now undermining previously well-liked characters. Came away from Quantum and SI liking Ant-Man and Nick Fury less than i did before and not wanting to see either character again.

Marvel actually does continue to introduce new and compelling characters but feels like they are mostly stuck as supporting characters in mediocre movies or in lesser D+ series. Shang-Chi and crew are the exception imo.

Feels like we are almost returning to pre-mcu status where Batman and Spidey are the only guaranteed sure-fire hits and everything else is a roll of the dice.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by basbash99 View Post
    Phase 4 was a mess, i think its too early to really say the same for phase 5 but i'd say 2 out of the 3 projects have been disasters (Quantumania and Secret Invasion), while GotG altho great felt like a leftover from the earlier phases.

It fees like Marvel is undergoing an accelerated version of what happened with Star Wars where they are now undermining previously well-liked characters. Came away from Quantum and SI liking Ant-Man and Nick Fury less than i did before and not wanting to see either character again.

Marvel actually does continue to introduce new and compelling characters but feels like they are mostly stuck as supporting characters in mediocre movies or in lesser D+ series. Shang-Chi and crew are the exception imo.

Feels like we are almost returning to pre-mcu status where Batman and Spidey are the only guaranteed sure-fire hits and everything else is a roll of the dice.
    Everything is always a roll of the dice. Nothing is guaranteed. Even Batman and Spidey have had misses and needed to course correct.

Quote Originally Posted by basbash99 View Post

Would you mind clarifying your first paragraph? Because it reads like you believe there are only 3 movies/shows in Phase 4.

Quote Originally Posted by Bunch of Coconuts View Post
    People have a habit of answering questions directed at you. It’s getting…weeeeeiiiiird.
    its a conspiracy please don't tell anyone.

Quote Originally Posted by choptop View Post
    its a conspiracy please don't tell anyone.
    Gotcha.

Care to indulge me and at least answer these few questions, then?

Being that all 3 MCU Spider-Man movies have A or A+ Cinema Score ratings (which is the metric you apparently use to gauge fan reaction) and you deem two of those movies as “just ok,” would you say that your personal reaction often differs from the general audience reaction? Or is this an outlier?

Astonishing Member

Wait…so…two “bad movies” (I think Cinema Score classifies B as “shaky”; C score is “terrible”) indicates a downward spiral?
    The lack of quality new IPs, the lack of excitement from new characters that have appeared onscreen and on the TV shows, The Eternals flopping, the last three TV shows that either lacked large viewership numbers or alienated fans or was a complete turd, the lack of buzz The Marvels is not creating.

Hopefully Blade, Fantastic Four, and The X-Men can be a success. At this rate a Young Avengers movie would flop.

Quote Originally Posted by Colossus1980 View Post
    The lack of quality new IPs, the lack of excitement from new characters that have appeared onscreen and on the TV shows, The Eternals flopping, the last three TV shows that either lacked large viewership numbers or alienated fans or was a complete turd, the lack of buzz The Marvels is not creating.

Hopefully Blade, Fantastic Four, and The X-Men can be a success. At this rate a Young Avengers movie would flop.
    So a repeat question: What are you using to gauge some of this stuff?

Like, where can I go to measure the excitement around a character?

Astonishing Member

You mean MoM with 85% audience score on Rotten Tomatoes?

Thor: L&T with 75% audience score Rotten Tomatoes?

Ant-Man 3 (the one people usually refer to when they proclaim "MCU is bombing!") with 82% audience score on Rotten Tomatoes?

These scores are pretty solid in the "average" range as far as other MCU films go, with L&T being a slight outlier to that and GotG3 being an outlier in the other direction with a 94% audience score.

The lowest audience rated Spider-Man movie sits at 87%, which means at least 1 of the 2 that you think are "just OK" rates in the high 90's.

The bottom 1/5th-ish of the MCU movies (that's 6 total) were released pre-Phase 4. If we stretch that to the bottom 9, only 2 out of 7 are "recent" (post-Endgame) movies. The audience score ranges from 78% to 45% on these 9 movies.

What metrics are you using to form your opinion?
    A Sea of mediocre products makes these MCU movies no longer feel like event films. The MCU seems tired and played out. Stuff like Super Mario and Barbie seems more fresh and new. Disney needs to pull back the amount of MCU content.

Gotcha.

Care to indulge me and at least answer these few questions, then?

Being that all 3 MCU Spider-Man movies have A or A+ Cinema Score ratings (which is the metric you apparently use to gauge fan reaction) and you deem two of those movies as “just ok,” would you say that your personal reaction often differs from the general audience reaction? Or is this an outlier?
    Why are you so hung up on the spiderman thing? I never said It was everyone's opinion they definitely make money the GA seems to like them I never said anything definit.....

Quote Originally Posted by choptop View Post
    Why are you so hung up on the spiderman thing? I never said It was everyone's opinion they definitely make money the GA seems to like them I never said anything definit.....
    Why are you so hung up on the quality of the MCU?
    Last edited by Bunch of Coconuts; 08-08-2023 at 08:54 PM.

Astonishing Member

So a repeat question: What are you using to gauge some of this stuff?

Like, where can I go to measure the excitement around a character?
    Lack of discussion here on CBR on new characters introduced, growing disinterest from posters here on CBR on MCU new projects, no internet articles anywhere on how fans want to see _____ make a return onscreen after a debut, talking IRL with MCU fans who have lost interest and either have given up or just waiting for streaming, hardly seeing any MCU topics trending.

I'm not a Castle but the MCU doesn't seem that exciting to fans overall.

Why are you so hung up on the quality of the MCU?
    Er I feel like im missing something like I'm Leonard Shelby or something I simply made a comment in a thread called THR
    MARVEL PHASE 5 PROBLEMs I'd gave my opinions one of my opinions was that the mcu spiderman has had 1 good movie and 2 ok ones (something you say is not a bad thing and I agree) I'd hardly call that being hung up on the quality of the MCU at least not anymore then any other movies I talk about on here....

Meanwhile choptop goes to he's Bat phone to call on other posters to answer questions directed him the conspiracy is real j/k

Quote Originally Posted by Colossus1980 View Post
    Lack of discussion here on CBR on new characters introduced, growing disinterest from posters here on CBR on MCU new projects, no internet articles anywhere on how fans want to see _____ make a return onscreen after a debut, talking IRL with MCU fans who have lost interest and either have given up or just waiting for streaming, hardly seeing any MCU topics trending.

I'm not a Castle but the MCU doesn't seem that exciting to fans overall.
    That’s a rather limited scope.

Just saying that all MCU products are bad and everybody agrees with you is not the most refined critique.
    Be kind to me, or treat me mean
    I'll make the most of it, I'm an extraordinary machine

Quote Originally Posted by The Overlord View Post
    A Sea of mediocre products makes these MCU movies no longer feel like event films. The MCU seems tired and played out. Stuff like Super Mario and Barbie seems more fresh and new. Disney needs to pull back the amount of MCU content.
    I would say one film and show per year.