Page 14 of 21 FirstFirst ... 4101112131415161718 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by phonogram12 View Post
    That's because he was pretty one note on the show.
    Hawkeye? I mean, his personality was he was a cocky, aggressive, and snarky guy but I think that played off the team really well and had different relationships/dynamics with them.

It made him stand out to me and felt truer to the character more than Renner's Clint did.
    So pretty much the way every other middle aged white dude writes a token woman on a superhero team.
    Is it? I feel like that's usually a serious, no-nonsense, type who doesn't have a very memorable personality.

Kind of like Hope .
    Fair enough. That said, in the episodes where it was the original creative team, there really wasn't much than the status quo with Tony.
    We saw over time him reckoning with the fallout of his actions and growing into a leader (or just being plain bad at it) as he tried to be a better person, even if his personality flaws didn't always make it easy, but he tried to recover from that. So I don't think it was 100% just status quo.

Extraordinary Member

Why Phase 4 MATTERS - Marvel's True Meaning Revealed

Quote Originally Posted by Peyton Westlake View Post
    This is all my opinion, so take from it what you like.
    It appears evident to me, going all the way back to Phase 1, Marvel, had a clear direction in which they wanted to go.
    Starting with Iron Man....the casting, writers & directors of all their characters seemed to be home runs.
    And each movie built on the next, setting up the future & bigger picture.
    It was so well done, even the post credit scenes with hints, were almost as popular as the movie & stories itself.
    And I assume all 'godfathered' by Kevin Feige....it was an imagination machine with no stopping it.
    But now with the close of phase 4........something seems .... off? Disjointed? Unclear? Disconnected?
    You see what I am getting at.
    To me, it almost seems Mr. Feige planned 3 stellar phases & stopped?
    Or someone else we are not aware of took over plotting the course for the MCU?
    Maybe Mr. Feige wanted a little break & entrusted someone else to chart it out?
    Whatever the reason is, something is clearly off.
    The direction & ideas of phase 4, don't seem to flow or lead to a logical end point, it's not cohesive.
    It seems even more so with the cancellation of or rather, HUGE delays that have been announced with their movies.
    Yes, I know they laid out a timeline leading to 2 more Avenger movies......but how the story & ideas connect (even using the Disney+ shows involvement) seem to be forced.
    Maybe it's just me being spoiled with how well phases 1 to 3 were smooth, but its apparent to me, MCU is hitting a wall.
    Anyone agree or like to add their thoughts?
    I disagree because phase 1 is the only phase that felt like it had a plan and was moving towards it. Phase 2 felt like it was spinning its wheels till Ultron. I agree with Nando V Movies as Civil War felt like a better end to phase 2 than Age of Ultron. Phase 3 had a great beginning and end but mostly wobbles in the middle.

Ironically you could've done a whole phase between Infinity War and Endgame.

So far phase 4 just feels like a better version if phase 2 with more variety. But that variety lead to them spreading themselves thin with the various casts to juggle. So there is a side effect.

In a loose sense, phase 4 is about consequences and legacy. The multiverse is a way to explore that.

I don't think the MCU's greatest strength is it's plan but it's ability to adapt. Phase 4 is just testing how far it could adapt.
    Last edited by the illustrious mr. kenway; 12-13-2022 at 03:50 AM.

Extraordinary Member

Ant-man was the end of phase 2.

I will say I like the introduction of Namor into the MCU ( I did not see Black Panther 2 yet so can no comment on if it was succesful)
    But I have always liked Namor as an anti-hero as he is portrayed in the comics.
    He has a LOT of ties to the Avengers , Black Panther as well as the FF4, so he can be used in various ways if done properly.
    I am not entirely sure about his ownership rights ( it seems muddled to me at best) but from what I understand he can be used like the Hulk as a supporting character in the MCU.
    So I would assume a solo Namor movie is out of the question.
    BUt when you think about it, if he is able to be on screen & tell a story within the MCU, does it matter if he doesnt get a solo film?
    I mean , someone would be his adversary anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by mace11 View Post
    Ant-man was the end of phase 2.
    This question isn't aimed at you specifically, but having just been reminded by your post...what did the first Ant-Man add to the overall "The Avengers will eventually fight and defeat Thanos" storyline?

Quote Originally Posted by Bunch of Coconuts View Post
    This question isn't aimed at you specifically, but having just been reminded by your post...what did the first Ant-Man add to the overall "The Avengers will eventually fight and defeat Thanos" storyline?
    Not much other than setting up the quantum realm but that was in the sequel. I'd say it's more about the fallout of Ultron than anything else.

Quote Originally Posted by the illustrious mr. kenway View Post
    Not much other than setting up the quantum realm but that was in the sequel. I'd say it's more about the fallout of Ultron than anything else.
    Oh, so not every MCU movie has moved along the overarching plotline for their respective phases?

Quote Originally Posted by Bunch of Coconuts View Post
    Oh, so not every MCU movie has moved along the overarching plotline for their respective phases?
    Lol no. The MCU is more standalone than anything after 1. There are loose connections but I wouldn't say Thanos was driving every film.

Extraordinary Member

Marvel Boss Kevin Feige Responds to 'Superhero Fatigue' Concerns
    https://thedirect.com/article/kevin-...fatigue-marvel

It’s kind of a nothing complaint anyway. One day superheroes will not be the most popular kind of film, and something else will annoy people by being overbearingly omnipresent instead.

Extraordinary Member

Kevin Feige Divulges What Marvel's Phase 4 Was All About
    As the fifth phase of the MCU opens up with Ant-Man and The Wasp: Quantumania, studio president Kevin Feige told all about the just-finished Phase 4.
    Phase 4 saw a lot of new characters introduced to the MCU, from Kate Bishop to Kamala Khan, and it also saw saga-defining new chapters from returning heroes like in Spider-Man: No Way Home and Black Panther: Wakanda Forever.

Further, Phase 4 allowed the MCU to discover new storytelling mediums, from Disney+ shows like WandaVision to specials like Werewolf by Night. All in all, Phase 4 saw great change and progress in the MCU.

Feige echoed these statements in a recent interview.

What Was the Purpose of Marvel's Phase 4?
    In an interview during the Ant-Man and The Wasp: Quantumania red carpet event, Marvel Studios president Kevin Feige opened up about what he felt the MCU's Phase 4 "was all about."
    He explained that "experimentation, introduction, [and] reintroduction" defined Phase 4 for him, having "play[ed] in genres [Marvel Studios] hadn't play[ed] in before:"

Interviewer: You've said that Phase 4 was very much about introductions. We met a lot of new characters. We've got a lot of new heroes, we've got America Chavez, we've got Shang-Chi, we've got so many people coming in. But now, [Phase 5] is about connecting everybody, right?

Feige: Absolutely. We wanted the Infinity Saga to feel complete after 'Endgame' and 'Far From Home.' But Phase 4, as I've said, was all about experimentation, introduction, reintroduction. And we took our time to have fun, and play in genres we hadn't play in before, and do all sorts of fun things with these characters.

He then looked forward, explaining that Phase 5 will "continue that" while also "heading towards the very, very big picture:"
    "Kicking off Phase 5, we'll continue that. Like in the Infinity Saga, there will be standalone films within the next two phases. But it really is, as you will certainly see in 'Quantumania,' heading towards the very, very big picture. And as we've already announced, that big picture is the Multiverse Saga in a very, very big way."

What's Next for Phase 5?
    As Phase 5 approaches, fans can get excited about the "big picture [that] is the Multiverse Saga." After the "experimenting" and "introducing" in Phase 4, it is becoming time to see what the hard work was building up to.

Perhaps Phase 5 films will use some of the new genres Feige alluded to in fun new ways, like Werewolf by Night's horror tone, or She-Hulk: Attorney at Law's legal comedy style.
    Further, Phase 5 will seemingly emphasize a shift in focus away from the universal and toward the multiversal — a shift in scale certainly (and aptly) going to be explored in the upcoming Quantumania.

Phase 5 begins with Ant-Man and The Wasp: Quantumania, releasing in theaters on Feb. 17.
    https://thedirect.com/article/kevin-...marvel-phase-4

MCU Writer Confirms How the Multiverse & Quantum Realm Are Connected
    https://thedirect.com/article/mcu-mu...ealm-connected

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Frobisher View Post
    It’s kind of a nothing complaint anyway. One day superheroes will not be the most popular kind of film, and something else will annoy people by being overbearingly omnipresent instead.
    Meanwhile super hero movies, including those based on comics, will still be made. Just less frequently or as heavily hyped up as over the last decade. But once something had been an "it" genre for a while it seldomly goes away completely and occasionaly might get a "revival".

Long term, I am sure that studios will no longer view superhero films as just a fad. They've been a huge cash cow for Disney and even WB, for at least some of their films. They aren't necessarily going to be seen as risky anymore.
    Every day is a gift, not a given right.

Incredible Member Geraldofrivia's Avatar

The problem with MCU is there is too much heroes and too much questionable decisions like turning Secret invasion into a tv show instead of turning into a proper CM sequel which would have done very well.
    Last edited by Geraldofrivia; 07-09-2023 at 11:44 AM.