Super Moderator

Default REVIEW: Superman Unchained, #8

In "Superman Unchained" #8, Superman and Wraith duke it out in a globe-spanning fight in the penultimate issue of this series written by Scott Snyder and drawn by Jim Lee.

Full review here.

BANNED

I personally didnt find this issue too thrilling.

3/5, dialog was a bit too generic. The ending seemed moderately interesting but no details have been foretold.

Incredible Member

Enjoyed this issue and was happy that Superman took care of Wraith all by himself. Would have liked more interaction between the Lanes.

For a series that's been delayed so often, it's remarkable how it keeps finding a way to be so enjoyable. This issue was so satisfying in that it had Superman finally confront all the scathing criticisms that Wraith and General Lane had levied against him in previous issues. They constantly berate him for not picking a side or being more active in shaping global affairs. Then Superman finally turns it on them and reveals why he does what he does. It made the battle against Wraith all the more epic. I really enjoyed it and I also enjoyed seeing Lex Luthor in his more classic persona, before he made it his mission to join the Justice League. I don't know how long it'll take for the next issue to come out, but this issue gives me confidence that the wait will be worth it.
    Join me on the official website for X-men Supreme, home of Marvel Universe 1015. Want a fresh take on X-men? Click below to enter the official home of Marvel at it's most Supreme!

Or if you want, check out my YouTube channel, Jack's World.

Fantastic Member

Good issue, but the issues on this series are so far apart that I can't recall some of the major plot developments from the past. I'm going to have to go back and dig up past issues to remember what happened with Jimmy and Lex.

Lane has always been a jingoistic moron. The idea that Superman should allow himself to be used as a tool by the US military and govt is horrifying and it's nice to see that the kid from Kansas has a mind of his own. It is also, finally, nice to see that Wraith's mysterious willingness to simply allow himself to be used as an American weapon had an ulterior motive.

The fight itself was fine, though I have a hard time buying that Superman is such a good fighter. In the first issue of Superman/Wonder Woman, Diana is talking about training him in how to fight; maybe she gave him lessons in-between issues and this is the result. Also, this plotline demonstrated why Diana should kick Supe's butt every time they fight - she is such a superior fighter to him. Add in the facts that she is in the same class of strength and speed and his ability to last three seconds becomes even more curious. Indeed, this issue of skill vs. strength is one that most writers don't handle well. The tendency in comics seems to be to have the less physically powerful characters be enormously skilled (which makes sense) while the physically powerful characters rely mostly on their strength and invulnerability. WW is one of the few characters who has both but is rarely depicted in a way that utilizes the obvious advantages of having such a combination.

Spectacular Member

Jim Lee's art seemed a lot sharper in this issue than normal, so that was pretty great.

I don't know if Scott Snyder raises expectations, but from a writing standpoint there's nothing really that notable throughout this whole series that I can recall. It doesn't really feel like he's really done anything that interesting with Superman or his gang.

The plot is kind of all over the place. I still don't really get what the deal was that anti-tech group from the start who did...something? And they were...robots...or magic, I guess? I may be misremembering but who can fully recall when this title has such a sporadic release schedule?

I'm keen for the last issue because it's certainly an entertaining (but very quick) read and I'll be keen to see how it all plays out at the end.

The story is good for what it is: a drawn-out fight between Supes and Wraith. Art is good for Jim Lee standards, and I like Jim Lee's art.

BANNED

I'd be impressed, IF IT HADN'T TAKEN THEM FOREVER TO PUT OUT JUST 8 ISSUES!!!!!!!!!!!

THE MARK OF MY DIGNITY Superlad93's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by ShaunN View Post
    Good issue, but the issues on this series are so far apart that I can't recall some of the major plot developments from the past. I'm going to have to go back and dig up past issues to remember what happened with Jimmy and Lex.

Lane has always been a jingoistic moron. The idea that Superman should allow himself to be used as a tool by the US military and govt is horrifying and it's nice to see that the kid from Kansas has a mind of his own. It is also, finally, nice to see that Wraith's mysterious willingness to simply allow himself to be used as an American weapon had an ulterior motive.

The fight itself was fine, though I have a hard time buying that Superman is such a good fighter. In the first issue of Superman/Wonder Woman, Diana is talking about training him in how to fight; maybe she gave him lessons in-between issues and this is the result. Also, this plotline demonstrated why Diana should kick Supe's butt every time they fight - she is such a superior fighter to him. Add in the facts that she is in the same class of strength and speed and his ability to last three seconds becomes even more curious. Indeed, this issue of skill vs. strength is one that most writers don't handle well. The tendency in comics seems to be to have the less physically powerful characters be enormously skilled (which makes sense) while the physically powerful characters rely mostly on their strength and invulnerability. WW is one of the few characters who has both but is rarely depicted in a way that utilizes the obvious advantages of having such a combination.

He's a good fighter in nearly EVERY other book but SM/WW. That was Soule's views on things and trying to create forced issues that simply aren't. This along with Action comics, and BM/SM are MUCH better representations of his great skill and lightning quick thinking.

This is the Superman story Snyder always wanted to tell? There's really nothing interesting about it.

Incredible Member

Yes, the delays have been horrible, but I've enjoyed the story, Superman's portrayal, as well as the best written Lois since the New 52 started!

Incredible Member

I wonder if future arcs will have Superman learn to manipulate the electromagnetic spectrum like Wraith.

Well, I think this will be a fantastic read once its collected into a trade. Hopefully they'll release it will all 9 issues collected.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by tib2d2 View Post
    Well, I think this will be a fantastic read once its collected into a trade. Hopefully they'll release it will all 9 issues collected.
    Like always.

I'm at least a C-Lister! exile001's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by tib2d2 View Post
    Maybe they'll collect the first 6, then make us wait a year for the last three so Jim Lee can draw a new cover?

Seriously, though, I think I will enjoy this a lot more reading it all in one go.
    "Has Sariel summoned you here, Azrael? Have you come to witness the miracle of your brethren arriving on Earth?"

"I WILL MIX THE ASHES OF YOUR BONES WITH SALT AND USE THEM TO ENSURE THE EARTH THE TEMPLARS TILLED NEVER BEARS FRUIT AGAIN!"

"*sigh* I hoped it was for the miracle."

Dan Watters' Azrael was incredible, a constant delight and perhaps too good for this world (but not the Forth). For the love of St. Dumas, DC, give us more!!!