Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

From a tv point of view, this seems logical to me. It would be up there with allowing say Nightwing to have his own tv show. You get a "b-list" version of a greater/more known hero & for a tv show, there is alot you can do with a teenager with powers, cause they have normal lives too.

I had already suggested that a Supergirl cartoon show would also work really well as the character of Supergirl lends itself to an easier episode-esque style of story telling. You can support her with new & interesting characters & villains.

I hope the show gets made!

BANNED

Supergirl is cool,but Superboy would be a better character to get his own tv show.he would only need the slightest connection to Superman,just to say he was cloned from him.the rest would be about who cloned him,and how he can become a great hero in his own right.they could go the Young Justice route,or the kesel route to make him cool.

Kara would probably be played like a emotional or emo teen on the show,but kon would probably be played as the ultra cool or ultra pissed clone which would work better.

Plus, Wonder Woman is probably getting a movie in 2017 (they registered the domains for a site), so that will definitely put off any tv shows ideas with the character in mind.

"You're dead!"- Soldier
    "You first"- Lightning, Final Fantasy XIII

"Yes, boo, cause this is Calvin Klein and I don't play that ****" - Tanisha

"You look like a fairy princess...that resides over the pits of hell." - New York

Fantastic Member

Quote Originally Posted by daBronzeBomma View Post
    Plus, we already had 10 seasons of SMALLVILLE which already featured a live-action Kara Zor-El as a recurring character, so there's a lack of newness with this idea.
    She appeared for very few episodes all considered and didn't turn up at all until Season 7, so that's not even close to being true.

Quote Originally Posted by The Red Monk View Post
    How can you have a Supergirl show set in a universe where Superman doesn't exist? It's as stupid as having a Batgirl show where Batman doesn't exist.
    Very easily. Do you really find it that hard to imagine?
    Last edited by confusiongrows; 09-04-2014 at 07:35 AM.

Extraordinary Member

It was teased in the MOS prequel.

Spectacular Member

Quote Originally Posted by stephens2177 View Post
    Supergirl is cool,but Superboy would be a better character to get his own tv show.he would only need the slightest connection to Superman,just to say he was cloned from him.the rest would be about who cloned him,and how he can become a great hero in his own right.they could go the Young Justice route,or the kesel route to make him cool.

Kara would probably be played like a emotional or emo teen on the show,but kon would probably be played as the ultra cool or ultra pissed clone which would work better.
    Actually this could work if it's set in a world where Doomsday and Clark killed each other, then Kara gets out of stasis to find her cousin dead and she is really alone. Then as her main antagonist you for the first season you could have, Kon-El. Superman's clone who is being manipulated by Cadmus, his creators into seeing Kara as a threat, then the two become allies and develop a bond because they are the only link to Krypton that either has left in the world.

Quote Originally Posted by confusiongrows View Post
    Very easily. Do you really find it that hard to imagine?
    I tend to find most stupid ideas hard to imagine as workable.
    "If you're afraid - don't do it - and if you're doing it - don't be afraid!" - Genghis Khan

Fantastic Member

Superman does not need to exist for Supergirl to exist. I know it's never been the case, but there is nothing stopping them from doing that if that's what they decided to do.

Quote Originally Posted by confusiongrows View Post
    Superman does not need to exist for Supergirl to exist. I know it's never been the case, but there is nothing stopping them from doing that if that's what they decided to do.
    Wow, you are categorically wrong on that score. Superman DOES need to exist for Supergirl to do so. She is a direct derivative. It's her biggest flaw as a character. She copies his origin (planet Krypton), his insignia (S-shield) and costume scheme (Blue suit and red cape), his powers (flying brick, heat vision, sensory, weakness to Kryptonite, etc). She owes her very existence to Superman. He would HAVE to be accounted for, as there are wayyy more casual Superman fans than Supergirl fans.

This will likely not get past the pitch stage for the same reason you'll never see a BATGIRL tv show without accounting for Batman: direct derivatives never escape the shadow of their alphas.

Retired

All that's needed for a Supergirl to exist is a magic totem to rub and a young man to wish really hard.

Mind you, it's not going to be easy to replace Laura Vandervoort.

At the very least it has to be a acknowledge that Superman exist here. And he has to show up at some point.

Astonishing Member

Yeah not sure how this would work without Superman. Maybe set it in the Smallville universe? Get Brian Q Miller.

Extraordinary Member Vanguard-01's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Kid A View Post
    Yeah not sure how this would work without Superman. Maybe set it in the Smallville universe? Get Brian Q Miller.
    A simple explanation could simply be that Superman IS in the world, but Kara is trying to strike out on her own, so he just won't be appearing that often. Or maybe Superman had to go off on a long off-world mission and he's left the Earth in Kara's hands. Or maybe Superman has temporarily lost his powers. Or maybe he's just......gone missing, and part of the story of the show is Kara trying to find out what happened to him.

The Birds of Prey series didn't exactly do real well, but it had a bunch of Gotham heroines in a show in which there was no Batman. Why was there no Batman? Because Batman had basically retired. He was still a presence in the show. He was frequently talked about. But he just wasn't physically in the show at all. Oh, if the show had lasted longer, I'm sure he would've eventually made some appearances. But the idea of the show was that Batman was around. He mattered. He just wasn't part of THIS story.

So, I'd say it can be done in a similar way here.

And I will totally lose my $#!^ if Bryan Q. Miller is in any way involved in this series! That man did my favorite Batgirl run ever. He can write ANY positive female character he wants to, in my book.
    Though much is taken, much abides; and though
    We are not now that strength which in old days
    Moved earth and heaven, that which we are, we are,
    One equal temper of heroic hearts,
    Made weak by time and fate, but strong in will
    To strive, to seek, to find, and not to yield.

--Lord Alfred Tennyson--

Or maybe you make it a show set in the future, where Superman has been gone for some time and Kara arrives on Earth essentially a generation later than classically written.

Retired

Given that more recent origin stories have Supergirl born before Superman, they could just say that she arrived on Earth first and has become a teenager, while Kal-El/Clark is still just a little kid. They could do a show following the same pattern as GOTHAM. How that would be different from SMALLVILLE, I don't know, but ARROW has managed to create an Ollie Queen that is distinctly different from the one on SMALLVILLE.