Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast
    Extraordinary Member Vanguard-01's Avatar

I think I want Kara to be fun, good-natured, and fully of sarcastic wit. Add superpowers and ass-kicking to the party, and this show could be the worthy successor to Buffy that I've been pining for ever since Season 7 ended.
    Though much is taken, much abides; and though
    We are not now that strength which in old days
    Moved earth and heaven, that which we are, we are,
    One equal temper of heroic hearts,
    Made weak by time and fate, but strong in will
    To strive, to seek, to find, and not to yield.

--Lord Alfred Tennyson--

Since now word is Supergirl television show is from the creators of Arrow I am interested to see what there take is. Also Supergirl can exist in a world without Superman easy enough. There was a prequel comic for Man of Steel movie the scouting ship that Kal-El found arrived on earth 20,000 years ago easily enough they can create a story for her. I do hope this does happen it would be a great show bring new life to another character.
    former Terrifan2

If this proposed SUPERGIRL tv show is going to be set in the universe of the CW's ARROW and THE FLASH (and thus cross over with them), that's really the only way I can see there possibly being no Kal-El in the story. Because at that point, this TV universe becomes a DCU without any of it's Big 3: Kal-El or Bruce Wayne or Princess Diana (sorry, that AMAZON tv show idea is dead). The CW-DC Television Universe effectively becomes the Earth-2 to the WB-DC Cinematic Universe's Earth-1.

I meant done by the same producer as Arrow and The Flash but totally different writer so Supergirl is not the same universe as the two. The producer Greg Berlanti who has several other projects coming. The idea for Supergirl tv series came up once before when Supergirl appeared in season 7 of Smallville as a spin-off but that never happened. So don't count out Amazon the idea is shelved for now not dead it can always come up again. Who says Amazon could be centered around Diana but why not center around Donna Troy or Cassandra Sandsmark.
    former Terrifan2

I'm pretty sure there was an article a while ago that said that Amazon was completely dead.

No great loss, anyhow. If we're going to get a Wonder Woman TV show, I want it to be about WONDER WOMAN. Not teenaged Diana on Paradise Island doing her very best to avoid anything that associates herself with her name.

--Lord Alfred Tennyson--

If it does get to TV, which I'm not finding too likely, for a few reasons, then the TV-verse (if it's put on the CW which I'm almost 90% it will be) will have its own big three: Ollie, Barry, and Kara. I think that would be pretty neat, and an interesting way to set it apart from the movies.

[EDIT: Just heard from the TV/Film Forum that CW passed on it.]
    Last edited by Charmed; 09-07-2014 at 12:14 PM.

"You're dead!"- Soldier
    "You first"- Lightning, Final Fantasy XIII

"Yes, boo, cause this is Calvin Klein and I don't play that ****" - Tanisha

"You look like a fairy princess...that resides over the pits of hell." - New York

Quote Originally Posted by Charmed View Post
    [EDIT: Just heard from the TV/Film Forum that CW passed on it.]
    Oh so it's a non-starter then? Too bad. I think TV is really doing better than ever and skipping on a potential Supergirl tv show, with all the current demands for more female led roles in everything, is a mistake by them. Oh well!

Well, there's still hope from other networks so that's a good thing.

This site: http://screenrant.com/supergirl-tv-show-details/

Is saying that the CW has 'seemingly' passed on the show. So, where that's true or not remains to be seen. I'll wait to here from an actual CW exec, rep. or whoever makes those statements.

Heck, if The Flash does pretty good, then they could introduce Kara's character there kind of like how they did with Barry on Arrow, though in a different way since they're dealing with different characters and what not. Besides, the two shows would be ripe for crossover potential and its would be a great way to build an even bigger audience.

Hopefully, the CW gives it another chance, if that statement about it passing it over is true. (I hope it's not)

"You're dead!"- Soldier
    "You first"- Lightning, Final Fantasy XIII

"Yes, boo, cause this is Calvin Klein and I don't play that ****" - Tanisha

"You look like a fairy princess...that resides over the pits of hell." - New York

Quote Originally Posted by Xhatch View Post
    Oh so it's a non-starter then? Too bad. I think TV is really doing better than ever and skipping on a potential Supergirl tv show, with all the current demands for more female led roles in everything, is a mistake by them. Oh well!
    Only CW passed on it. There are plenty of other networks that could pick it up. The only downside of that is now there's pretty much no chance that this show will be part of the shared universe with Arrow and Flash.

As long as it's a fun and entertaining Supergirl show? I couldn't care less.

--Lord Alfred Tennyson--

Fantastic Member

Quote Originally Posted by Vanguard-01 View Post
    As long as it's a fun and entertaining Supergirl show? I couldn't care less.
    I completely agree.
    Last edited by confusiongrows; 09-07-2014 at 01:40 PM.

So, apparently the SUPERGIRL TV show has been green-lit and is actively in development at WB.

The guy behind ARROW and the upcoming FLASH TV show, Greg Berlanti, and Ali Adler (Chuck) are producing this would-be show. It has NOT been officially pitched to any channels yet, including the CW.

It seems that, outside of ARROW and THE FLASH, none of the other DC TV series will be connected to each other. GOTHAM, CONSTANTINE, IZOMBIE are all completely independent of each other, the CW DC TV universe, or the WB DC Cinematic Universe. SUPERGIRL (probably not its title) looks like it may be its own universe, esp if it's not picked up by the CW.

What are your top 5 must-haves for this SUPERGIRL TV show, should it actually make it to your TV screen?

Mine, off the top of my head right now, from least important to most important:

5.) Have the courage to embrace the Superverse. Do not shy away from Clark Kent. Don't say he doesn't exist in this universe, or that he vanished, quit, retired, died, or left Earth. He should be around. Chances are, the costumed Superman will be mostly reserved for the DCCU movies anyway, but the bespectacled Clark Kent as a recurring, civilian guest star is still completely doable. Clark Kent should be accounted for, but in a manner that keeps him from overshadowing Kara. Just have him in the pilot episode to set up the premise and then have him show up maybe once a season strictly in a visiting civilian role just there to offer support and advice. If the Kents are involved (and they should be), that gives Clark the excuse to come home and briefly visit before he has to leave to go back to his own busy life. Kara should be the undisputed star of this show, but Kal-El is inextricably a part of her story.

4.) Have the foresight to manage expectations. The full Kryptonian power/skill-set is the most expensive of all super-heroic power/skill-sets to showcase in live-action. You're not going to have the big-time movie money to make her feats looks anything close to what Henry Cavill did in MAN OF STEEL. It's going to be a lot closer to the budget level of SMALLVILLE, whose F/X were ... good for the small-time TV money they had.

3.) Have NO shame of the source material. It's a comic book super-hero TV series. Romance, comedy, drama, action, adventure, mystery, etc all well and good. Include them in abundance, or as you see fit. But don't deny her roots. Don't be embarrassed that she comes from the world of flights and tights. SMALLVILLE struggled mightily with this, and for the worse, I feel.

2.) Have the preferred ending of the show's run already in mind. Know what your long-term story arc for the entire show's run is before the very first episode ever airs, even if it's just an outline right now. Where do you want Kara to be at the start of the show's run? Where do you want her to be at the end of the entire show's run? What major plot points should she and her cohorts hit along the way? Does she ultimately graduate from the young Supergirl to the adult Power Gal? SMALLVILLE botched this right after Clark graduated high school (starting with season 5), IMHO.

1.) Have a great cast and crew. Need the mix of the right actors, the right writers, the right budgets, and the right directors for SUPERGIRL episodes, etc, as well as the right overall showrunners. The show will need great talent both in front of the cameras and also behind the cameras. You especially need to have the right actress to play the lead role of Kara and whatever her alter ego winds up being (Linda Lee, Linda Danvers, Karen Starr, Matrix, etc). Whoever plays the lead role needs to knock it out of the park.
    Last edited by daBronzeBomma; 09-12-2014 at 10:40 AM.

You pretty much nailed the important parts, Bomma.

I would add to #3? Because it's a comic book show from a world of "flights and tights," don't be afraid to go optimistic. Any character who wears the "S" shield is supposed to be an inspiration for the demographic he/she represents. Supergirl should be an inspiration to young girls. She should be strong, smart, and utterly fearless. She should overcome her problems, not be ruled by them. She should be funny and sarcastic in the face of overwhelming odds. She should be a loyal and protective friend and an absolute inspiration to watch.

Basically? Think Buffy, just with WAY better powers. Buffy was everything I would want Supergirl to be. Oh, she had her ups and her downs. She had moments where she wasn't even that likeable. But at her core, she was strong, brave, and often laughed in the face of danger. Supergirl should be all that and more.

--Lord Alfred Tennyson--

Quote Originally Posted by Vanguard-01 View Post
    Basically? Think Buffy, just with WAY better powers. Buffy was everything I would want Supergirl to be. Oh, she had her ups and her downs. She had moments where she wasn't even that likeable. But at her core, she was strong, brave, and often laughed in the face of danger. Supergirl should be all that and more.
    Yeah, Buffy had a great balance a tv show needs. It had it's fun moments, but also had drama and danger too. So if they get the Supergirl show similar to Buffy, then they would have a successful show in my opinion.

Another thing I would want to see is the costume. I don't want the Supergirl series to be the very, very last episode before we get a glimpse of the costume. She should embrace wearing it, since it's the outfit she will arrive on Earth with. It won't feel like a costume to her anyway, it's just Kryptonian clothes to her.

I also think, with a show like this, they are most likely going to cast a relatively unknown young actress in the lead role, so I think trying to guess who will play Supergirl would be a waste of time. Just will have to wait and see.

And if it is truely greenlit now, the great thing about tv shows, is that they get them out fast, so we have less of a wait to see the first series!

Quote Originally Posted by Xhatch View Post
    Yeah, Buffy had a great balance a tv show needs. It had it's fun moments, but also had drama and danger too. So if they get the Supergirl show similar to Buffy, then they would have a successful show in my opinion.

Another thing I would want to see is the costume. I don't want the Supergirl series to be the very, very last episode before we get a glimpse of the costume. She should embrace wearing it, since it's the outfit she will arrive on Earth with. It won't feel like a costume to her anyway, it's just Kryptonian clothes to her.
    I totally agree about the costume. If it really is Kryptonian clothing to her, then she should have no shame about wearing it at all. If some fans complain about it looking silly? Embrace that. Put some characters in the show who criticize Kara for what she wears, and have Kara stand strong and say "Screw you! This is what I wear! Deal with it!"

I agree. I don't want to go through season after season of Kara just running around in whatever off-the-rack clothing she bought at the mall last week. She's Supergirl. Embrace the cape, dammit!

I also think, with a show like this, they are most likely going to cast a relatively unknown young actress in the lead role, so I think trying to guess who will play Supergirl would be a waste of time. Just will have to wait and see.

And if it is truely greenlit now, the great thing about tv shows, is that they get them out fast, so we have less of a wait to see the first series!
    Yeah. My first reaction to this show was "Can we get Laura Vandervoort back?" But then, I realized that probably wouldn't be the best idea. Laura was great on Smallville, but A) She's on another show right now; and B) She's kind of known to the role now. People would have expectations that the show may not fulfill.

A new, unknown actress is definitely the way to go. It'll be a great opportunity for some aspiring new actress out there, and it will keep people from having any real pre-formed expectations about the show. Unknown Supergirl? No idea what to expect until you watch the show.

--Lord Alfred Tennyson--

Astonishing Member

Does Supergirl have her own rogues gallery and supporting cast or would she get Superman's hand me downs in a TV show?