Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast
    Extraordinary Member Vanguard-01's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by The Overlord View Post
    Does Supergirl have her own rogues gallery and supporting cast or would she get Superman's hand me downs in a TV show?
    Across different eras, she's had her own rogues and she's borrowed from Superman.

From the New 52? Simon Tycho would be a good villain for her. Basically, he could be her Lex Luthor. Corrupt business man who wants to exploit her. Easily done.

H'el could also work pretty well. A seductive guy who emotionally manipulates her with promises of restoring what she lost? Also works fine.

It seems like Silver Banshee has become more her villain than Superman's lately. This was starting to happen even before Flashpoint.

Near the end of the pre-Flashpoint universe, it looked like she was also inheriting Insect Queen from Superman as well. Suitably creepy and disturbing for Kara.

Those are some good candidates. It's also possible they'll come up with a whole new rogue's gallery for her. If they're done well, I won't mind.
    Though much is taken, much abides; and though
    We are not now that strength which in old days
    Moved earth and heaven, that which we are, we are,
    One equal temper of heroic hearts,
    Made weak by time and fate, but strong in will
    To strive, to seek, to find, and not to yield.

--Lord Alfred Tennyson--

There is a character who could make a good addition to a SUPERGIRL story, particularly b/c I can't see ever really getting used in live-action SUPERMAN projects.

Lena Thorul.

Lex Luthor's secret younger sister.

She has the legitimacy of actual comics history, provides a link to Lex Luthor without being a pale imitation of him.

I realize in the final season of SMALLVILLE, Tess Mercer was revealed to Lena "Thorul" (i.e. Lena "Luthor"), but that seems like such a misdirect after several seasons believing that she was supposed to be a combination of S:TAS's Mercy Graves + SUPERMAN: THE MOVIE's Eve Tessmacher.

Besides Lena Thorul, you could have new versions of
    Maxima,
    Silver Banshee,
    Livewire,
    Volcana,
    BizarroGirl,
    Faora/Ursa,
    Mala,
    Zod,
    Jax-Ur,
    H'El,
    Cyborg Superman (New52's re-animated Zor-El),
    maybe a radically updated version of Selena the witch and her henchwoman Bianca from SUPERGIRL THE MOVIE (1984),
    Brainiac,
    Mxyzptlk

Lots of possibilities here ...

Ultimate Member

-Silver Banshee.
    -H'El.
    -Zor-el (the New 52 version).
    -Livewire.
    -Parasite.
    -etc.

They might also pull an Arrow and take some lesser-known rogues from other heroes and have them become Supergirl enemies.

BANNED

H'el is a character that i would pass, I really tired of teenagers girl being seduced by villains/creeps/vampires

Astonishing Member

What if it's set on Krypton? She was grown up before it exploded so it's possible to have a series there.
    Rules are for lesser men, Charlie - Grand Pa Joe ~ Willy Wonka & Chocolate Factory

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Blacksun View Post
    H'el is a character that i would pass, I really tired of teenagers girl being seduced by villains/creeps/vampires
    They don't have to do him the exact same was as in the comics. CB movies and TV shows have shown MANY times in the past that they have NO problem making changes to the source material if they feel that it will make for a good story/fit their universe and vision.

Quote Originally Posted by The World View Post
    What if it's set on Krypton? She was grown up before it exploded so it's possible to have a series there.
    I don't know about anyone else, but I wouldn't want to watch an entire series about a completely powerless Kara. On Krypton, she's under a red sun. No powers. The show would basically be several seasons of "Veronica Mars on an advanced world" or something like that.

I want Supergirl to be Supergirl. Powers, costume, supervillains, the works.
    Last edited by Vanguard-01; 09-15-2014 at 10:34 AM.

--Lord Alfred Tennyson--

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Punisher007 View Post
    They don't have to do him the exact same was as in the comics. CB movies and TV shows have shown MANY times in the past that they have NO problem making changes to the source material if they feel that it will make for a good story/fit their universe and vision.
    well they can change, of course they will change. I really don't trust one of the arrow producers and one writer/producer who worked on Glee and family guy to handle it. I really have good reasons to trust them on handling this story.

Fantastic Member

I was going to say that H'el is a character who needs a TV appearance like a fish needs a bicycle and needs to be forgotten along with everything else Scott Lobdell contributed to the Superman books as soon as possible, but...

If they got him to actually work, it would be fine. What I think they were trying to do - and I emphasise trying - with H'el on Earth is create a situation where Kara is forced to choose between something she desperately wants and something she knows to be right. It was just so badly written and H'el himself was a major part of that, he was so unsympathetic and obviously evil that Kara's interactions with him came off as cringeworthy. Any hope of a meaningful character arc for Kara or a good story for the other Super-characters more or less imploded around him. If they made a character like that with a more nuanced characterisation and a more subtle plan (not to mention a less stupid name) it might actually have worked and would have been a step forward on her heroes' journey.

There should be no quasi-romantic BS though, at least nothing like the way they played it in the comics. That was not only superfluous, it was cringeworthy and I don't think they would have done that to a male superhero. You can add a romantic angle to a hero/villain conflict, like Buffy/Angel in Buffy season 2, but that took a lot of careful setting up and some thought on the part of the writers. H'el and Kara's relationship was just forced, creepy and uncomfortable.
    Last edited by confusiongrows; 09-15-2014 at 11:39 AM.

Extraordinary Member John Ossie's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by The World View Post
    That could be a way to get out of mentioning Clark (assuming this is before he's born). I can certainly see the series starting from there but as for setting the entire series there? Guess we'll just have to wait for more details (assuming this gets picked up)

Ultimate Member

CBS, that's interesting. So we have:

-Arrow and Flash on the CW.
    -Constantine on NBC.
    -Gotham on Fox.
    -Supergirl on CBS (potentially).
    -Teen Titans on TNT (potentially).

To those for whom the link wouldn't initially open (like mine), here's the text:

Greg Berlanti and Ali Adler's Supergirl has a home: CBS.

CBS has landed the high-profile DC Comics adaptation, handing out a hefty series commitment, The Hollywood Reporter has learned.

The hourlong drama, taken out last week, centers on Kara Zor-El, Superman's cousin, who was born on the planet Krypton and escaped amid its destruction years ago. Since arriving on Earth, she has been hiding the powers she shares with her famous cousin.

But now at age 24, she decides to embrace her superhuman abilities and be the hero she was always meant to be. (The character was previously played by Laura Vandervoort on The CW's Superman origin story Smallville.)

Berlanti and Adler, who previously teamed on ABC's superhero drama No Ordinary Family, will pen the script and executive produce the drama via Berlanti Productions' Warner Bros. Television-based banner. Berlanti Productions' topper Sarah Schecter also executive produces.

The Supergirl pickup also means all five of the broadcast networks could have superhero-themed series on the air next season, with DC properties on four of the five. Fox on Monday launches its highly anticipated Batman prequel Gotham — which like Supergirl started with a series commitment; NBC has Hellblazer take Constantine due in October; CW has Flash and Arrow; and ABC, via Disney's deal with Marvel, has Agents of SHIELD and bridge series Agent Carter. For its part, Netflix also has four Marvel series and a mini, starting with Daredevil.

Comic adaptations are the fall's biggest bet, with many producers telling THR that the wave comes as superheroes continue to dominate the box office and as the technology to tell such stories has evolved, among other factors. AMC's The Walking Dead, TV's biggest drama in the key adults 18-49 demographic, is also based on a comic and the network is tapping that well for a companion series eyed for 2015. Other cable networks — as well as Sony's PlayStation — have also joined the fray, with comic takes on Powers, Preacher, Outcast, Ronin, Clone, Titans, Scalped and more.

Supergirl now gives Berlanti three shows based on characters from the DC Comics universe. It joins The CW veteran Arrow and upcoming spinoff The Flash. It also comes as Berlanti's newest drama, NBC's Mysteries of Laura adaptation, opened to strong viewership this week.

Supergirl is Berlanti's third sale this development season and second at CBS. He also has supernatural procedural The Things They Left Behind based on a Stephen King short story set up at CBS with a put-pilot commitment and FBI thriller Blindspot at NBC with a script plus penalty attached.

Berlanti is repped by WME and Felker Toczek; Adler, whose credits include NBC's The New Normal, Glee and Chuck, is with WME.

First thought: Sounds pretty official.

Second thought: 24 years old? That's beyond college-age. That is pretty old to still be called a "girl". "Gal" or "Woman" works better, but there's no recognition of a "SuperGal" or a "Superwoman" like there is with "Supergirl".

Third though: Sounds like we're getting Clark in some form as part of the package

Fourth thought: Please don't suck.

Quote Originally Posted by daBronzeBomma View Post
    To those for whom the link wouldn't initially open (like mine), here's the text:

First thought: Sounds pretty official.

Second thought: 24 years old? That's beyond college-age. That is pretty old to still be called a "girl". "Gal" or "Woman" works better, but there's no recognition of a "SuperGal" or a "Superwoman" like there is with "Supergirl".

Third though: Sounds like we're getting Clark in some form as part of the package

Fourth thought: Please don't suck.
    You hit all of my concerns pretty well.

I'm glad this seems like it's going to happen, but 24 does seem an odd age for her to get started as a hero. For one thing, Supergirl should be intended as an inspiration to younger girls. Teenagers, and the like.

But, whatever. I just want a fun, awesome Supergirl show. I'm flexible on the details.

--Lord Alfred Tennyson--

Retired

The thing is if Kara escapes at the time of the destruction, then she has to be the same age as Clark or older. If there's no Argo City or Phantom Zone or Kandor, then she can't be younger. Unless she escaped Krypton in suspended animation and revived on Earth years later, but still the same age as she was when she escaped Krypton.

Maybe, like Power Girl, she had a slow rocket ship and arrives fully grown on Earth. Going the Power Girl route might be the best bet--as PG had 1938 level Superman powers when she arrived on Earth-Two originally. I can see them doing a character with that power set on TV. The full array of Superman's powers would require a much bigger budget than what TV shows usually have.