Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Kelly View Post
    Unless she escaped Krypton in suspended animation and revived on Earth years later, but still the same age as she was when she escaped Krypton.
    In the New 52 comics, that's the way it happend. Her pod arrived years after Clarks did, but she was still the same age as when it left Krypton. I think they stated it circled our Sun afew times before it finally crashed onto Earth. That could be why she remained the same age as when she left Krypton, that or something in the pod itself kept her from ageing.

As for her age being 24 in the show, I think that's their first mistake already. Kinda missing the point of "Supergirl" when she's no longer a "girl" and more a woman. So many good story arcs going to be missed out because of this move. Maybe they just want to be allowed to make her more sexual as a 24 year old, instead of say a 16 year old. But then, this isn't supposed to be a Powergirl show.

Aside from that, I'm really looking forward to seeing this take on the character.

Ultimate Member

I don't see why she couldn't still be a role model for teen girls while being 24. It's not like they made her 40 or anything like that. She'd barely be out of college (or still in college depending on what kind of degree she was pursuing). Or they might be taking some elements from Power Girl and folding them into Kara.

They haven't written a single script or shot a single scene yet nor committed to a single lead actress yet.

Plenty of time to change the detail of age 24 down to age 18 or so.

Also they can change the casting call for someone who can believably pass for 18 years old.

Astonishing Member

I just can't imagine this happening. Think I'm gonna faint.

OK, so the ball is in motion, so to speak.

If you could ask 5 questions to the SUPERGIRL showrunners about this upcoming pilot/show before they start casting/writing/shooting, what would you ask, as a Supergirl/PowerGirl/Superman/Superverse fan?

My questions would be:

1.) What lessons, good and bad, from any previous Superverse TV show, be it ADVENTURES OF SUPERMAN, SUPERBOY, LOIS & CLARK or SMALLVILLE would you apply to your show?

2.) How much/which of the Superverse comics material (supporting cast/villains/love interests/places) are you going to look for story material?

3.) Since it sounds like Kal-El is alive and active in your universe, how are you going to account for his presence?

4.) What, if any, plans would there be for Power Gal (eventual identity of adult Kara, separate universe Kara, or Galatea from JLU)?

5.) Can you move down from proposed 24 years old to an age more appropriate to be called "girl", like 18 maybe?

Oh god can you imagine the cross promotion between this and Big Bang Theory?

Extraordinary Member Vanguard-01's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Sacred Knight View Post
    Oh god can you imagine the cross promotion between this and Big Bang Theory?
    I'm almost wondering if they should have Supergirl guest-star on the show before her show begins. Or maybe the BBT guys can guest-star in HER show?
    Though much is taken, much abides; and though
    We are not now that strength which in old days
    Moved earth and heaven, that which we are, we are,
    One equal temper of heroic hearts,
    Made weak by time and fate, but strong in will
    To strive, to seek, to find, and not to yield.

--Lord Alfred Tennyson--

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by daBronzeBomma View Post

If you could ask 5 questions to the SUPERGIRL showrunners about this upcoming pilot/show before they start casting/writing/shooting, what would you ask, as a Supergirl/PowerGirl/Superman/Superverse fan?

My questions would be:

1.) What lessons, good and bad, from any previous Superverse TV show, be it ADVENTURES OF SUPERMAN, SUPERBOY, LOIS & CLARK or SMALLVILLE would you apply to your show?

2.) How much/which of the Superverse comics material (supporting cast/villains/love interests/places) are you going to look for story material?

3.) Since it sounds like Kal-El is alive and active in your universe, how are you going to account for his presence?

4.) What, if any, plans would there be for Power Gal (eventual identity of adult Kara, separate universe Kara, or Galatea from JLU)?

5.) Can you move down from proposed 24 years old to an age more appropriate to be called "girl", like 18 maybe?
    I'm going to speculate on the answers.

1) We're not really familiar with most of those other than Smallville. Obviously that was a prequel series whereas we are catching up with her as she's actually beginning her super-career. But we do see an opportunity for great relationships to form which we think was a strong factor on Smallville.

2. We're also looking through the comics for good material, while also trying to make our TV version unique and stand on her own. There will probably be a few winks to the comics fans though!

3. We are definitely going to make his presence known, although we obviously don't want him overshadowing our girl. Wait and see!

4. We are focused on Supergirl for now, letting her develop and grow before bringing in other, similar characters. But down the road - why not?

5. We really believe we have some great stories to tell around that early 20-'s timeframe that we think you're going to really enjoy!

Retired

I don't usually advoctate all of Jack Kirby's Fourth World simply being a prop for Superman. But in a TV show with Supergirl, there are attractive possibilities. If Kara took the place of Scott Free--born elsewhere, raised on Apokolips, escapes to Earth, is pursued by others from Apokolips--that could be a good story. That would allow some great female characters--Big Barda, the Female Furies, Granny Goodness, Amazing Grace.

I like the idea of Supergirl coming to Earth, having suffered some trauma. So maybe she was abducted as a baby from Krypton just before it exploded, but unlike her cousin she wasn't raised in a nurturing environment. And when she arrives on Earth, she's in hiding from those who would harm her.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by daBronzeBomma View Post

My questions would be:

1. Get a good Lex Luthor if he's going to show up. Shea and Rosenbaum both showed that Lex can be awesome both as a supporting character and as the dreaded guest antagonist. Only follow the romance arc with chemistry, and don't go too fast, especially for a character with no "classic" beau like Supergirl, so there's no excuse to have the Laurel-Ollie BS from Arrow. Yes to the tights, and yes to the flights, but have a real person for the characterization. Smallville's second wind only came when they began to acutely embrace the heroic personality (though it dragged when they made him Superman in all but name), but because Clark was a sincere character, he was still watchable, like on L&C, and unlike the other shows.

2. I'd say that considering the wealth of Superman mythos to approach, use any and all you can. With over sixty years of story, most "original" ideas will have some kind of precedent that can help inspire some arc-welding.

3. Either by making it clear that Supergirl is trying to quietly do her own thing, or that he is frickin' busy with perpetual horrors from outer space and Earth. If it's clear that this Superman is in near constant conflict, the need for a Supergirl becomes apparent. Also, I'd have Clark be the only way we see him, and the honest and sincere Post-Crisis Clark, not the characters popular from the Silver Age.

4. I've been thinking you could weld Power Girl (and another Supergirl) and Superboy's plot arcs together. Introduce Superboy first, with the cover of no-one knowing Lex designed him, and then on the side, show that Lex has a new set of bodyguards, with one (Karen) who's vivacious and idealistic (think Hope from Lex Luthor: Man of Steel) and the other (Cir-El) is a bit more angry and rough. Once Lex activates Superboy, Kara manages to defeat him pretty handily, but realizes that Luthor had access to her blood and has to take on both ladies with the freed Superboy (who's also a kind of prototype to the finished Supergirls). Karen is freed, and Cir-El sacrifices herself. Since Karen has combat training, she immediately becomes a major fighter and is adopted as a bigger sister for Supergirl.

5. Whatever works, man. I do think Teenager has more room for growth than young adult though.

Extraordinary Member Primal Slayer's Avatar

Even though I doubt it will happen, I would love it if they had adapted aspects of The Girl From Krypton B/S arc and the following series for the show. Having Kara trained by the Amazons and have Cassie Sandsmark as her best friend. We know that Superman is around, but I hope other establish heroes and sidekicks are around.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Primal Slayer View Post
    Even though I doubt it will happen, I would love it if they had adapted aspects of The Girl From Krypton B/S arc and the following series for the show. Having Kara trained by the Amazons and have Cassie Sandsmark as her best friend. We know that Superman is around, but I hope other establish heroes and sidekicks are around.
    I think they would very likely take inspirations from the girl from krypton. Except without batman/superman/wonder woman in it.

Fantastic Member

Quote Originally Posted by nightrider View Post
    I think they would very likely take inspirations from the girl from krypton. Except without batman/superman/wonder woman in it.
    If you take those three characters out of the story, it's not got a lot left in it.

Spectacular Member

Unless this show is shared with the Man of Steel movieverse, I don't see how this show is gonna work. You can't just have Supergirl in a vacuum. It ignores the elephant in the room.

BANNED

While not my favorite, what I suspect is that we'll get an actor playing a generic Superman who shows up in the first episode or so and then we never see him again.