Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 345678 LastLast
    Savior of the Universe Flash Gordon's Avatar

Just get Brandon Routh (Tom Welling most likely wouldn't do it) to show up as Kal once or twice and you're done. It doesn't have to be the supergirl we'll eventually get in the films- since I'm sure that'll be cooler than CBS.

Even if he only comes around as Clark Kent- you need him in the story or else why bother calling her SUPERgirl?

Quote Originally Posted by daBronzeBomma View Post
    Out of their 7 choices, two of them stand out: Leven Rambin (SARAH CONNOR CHRONICLES) and Britt Robertson (UNDER THE DOME) look the most like what I think of Supergirl.
    On a purely visual scale yes, those two stand out above all the others for my part.

Some good ideas in the comment section too, if one wants to navigate the trolling and the morons.
    Last edited by Sacred Knight; 09-22-2014 at 09:53 PM.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Flash Gordon View Post
    Just get Brandon Routh (Tom Welling most likely wouldn't do it) to show up as Kal once or twice and you're done. It doesn't have to be the supergirl we'll eventually get in the films- since I'm sure that'll be cooler than CBS.

Even if he only comes around as Clark Kent- you need him in the story or else why bother calling her SUPERgirl?
    If this is in the CW-verse, Routh already has a character.

Savior of the Universe Flash Gordon's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Kid A View Post
    If this is in the CW-verse, Routh already has a character.
    I highly doubt (and hope) it has nothing to do with ARROW, but even so that wouldn't matter.

Re member

Quote Originally Posted by Jon Clark View Post
    What is with the need to kill or banish Clark?
    I think some of it is the concern that if he shows up the story and show will become about him. He tends to dominate whatever he's in, much the way Batman does.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Iopy View Post
    I think some of it is the concern that if he shows up the story and show will become about him. He tends to dominate whatever he's in, much the way Batman does.
    Yeah, as sexist as it sounds, it does seem a bit unnatural to have a Supergirl series if you could have a Superman series instead. Or rather, it would seem more natural to have a Superman series and then spin a Supergirl series out of that. Which would in fact be a vote for a clear connection to the cinematic universe, but whatever.

Quote Originally Posted by Iopy View Post
    I think that was part of the reasoning behind making Bruce Wayne abandon Gotham in the 2002/2003 tv show BIRDS OF PREY. From the sounds of it, that show was mediocre at best with one or two bright spots. But I wonder if part of the reason it was not well-received (aside from bad writing/acting/directing) was that it was set up as a "kinda" Bat-show with Batman completely marginalized that turned Batman fans off.

I can understand the concerns about an uber-alpha like Kal-El stealing Kara's thunder on her own show, but the other problem is the nature of her very character will ALWAYS be derivative of him: same interplanetary origin, same power-set, same costume/color scheme, same S-shield, same first part of codename, does the same secret identity bit (which her cousin basically invented). It's too big a pill to swallow if Kal isn't a part of the show in some way. More importantly, CBS knows that his fans outnumber her fans by a ridiculous margin, and that most of his loyal fans will not watch out of protest if they know their guy has been excessively marginalized (doesn't exist, is missing, quit, retired, lost his powers, is dead or trapped somewhere).

There is an easy solution: Just have Clark Kent, but not Superman, appear in the pilot ep to help Kara get set up and recur again only once a season at most, always in civilian gear and only to offer advice or support to Kara, not aid her in battle or solve her problems for her. He's got his own stuff elsewhere that keeps him very busy, and Kara presumably will be working on her own corner of Earth and not be flying all over the world all the time like Kal does, so the show can allow room for both of them to exist.

Retired

I don't see how you can have Superman or Clark on the series. If it's young Clark, then that just reminds us of SMALLVILLE. If it's grown up Superman/Clark that reminds us of MAN OF STEEL. And if another actor is playing those parts, I think it confuses the public and feels wrong.

BIRDS OF PREY was okay. We saw flashes of Batman but as a shadowy figure and not up close. I think the series would have done better, if they had the freedom to use more of Batman, the Joker, Catwoman and Batgirl--in flashback sequences.

We'll see what solution the SUPERGIRL series comes up with. Maybe Kara doesn't know who her cousin is or where to find him and part of the series is her search for him. Superman has been known to go missing on occasion.

Telling y'all, set it in the future. 2035 or some such. Superman's in his 50's and has maybe gone off into space or something, and Kara takes up the mantle of Metropolis's protector. Figures out the Superman conundrum cleanly, and who doesn't love a futuristic city, budget permitting.

BANNED

Because of her power set I would like to see characters like the Omega men and Lobo appear on the series. If they go the Military route they should direct it like the Hurt Locker movie and have an appearance by Metallo. It would be cool if they include Green Lantern John Stewart as a love interest or introduce obscure villians like Tank from the New Teen Titans Annual # 2 I always thought he had potential.

Bane from Batman would also be a good choice since I'm sure he will not appear for a good while in the Movies anytime soon.

Fantastic Member

*sigh* It's getting very boring seeing tons of discussion about how Superman will be involved. He's the thing that interests me least about this whole setup, it's not his damn show. If they wanted to make a Superman show, they'd probably be making one - but they're not. I'm sure they'll handle this question just fine.

More importantly, CBS knows that his fans outnumber her fans by a ridiculous margin, and that most of his loyal fans will not watch out of protest if they know their guy has been excessively marginalized (doesn't exist, is missing, quit, retired, lost his powers, is dead or trapped somewhere).
    It's hard to marginalise a character who just had a huge hit movie last year with another on the way, a TV show relatively recently which ran for an entire decade, and the kind of pop-culture presence most characters can only dream of. Are Superman fans really that juvenile? I have slightly more faith in the audience, myself. But for what it's worth, Birds of Prey's failure had nothing to do with Batman or lack thereof. It was just plain bad, showing more Batman or Catwoman would not have helped one bit.

Onto more interesting topics, I hope they can use whatever villains they want although maybe avoid the overexposed ones or the ones they plan to use in the movies. But that still leaves plenty of Superman villains as well as the rogues who Kara herself has faced and who knows who else - Arrow is using villains from all over the street-level DC canon and Supergirl could do the same with characters from the more cosmic books too. I'd like them to use a New52-style Silver Banshee. I like that version of her a lot.

I'm all for it. Was just talking to my bro the other day about DC's success in the TV medium and how there's no major Supergirl role/show. I just don't know how she'd be brought in, with all these other shows, schedule seems like it going to be crowded for a good time. If a Supergirl show is eventually picked up, I'd be ecstatic. Though, I'd prefer New 52 Supergirl (just started reading Loeb's Supergirl, as well), any iteration would be nice to see, so long as she is able to retain some concurrency in the topical world. Gotta connect with that demographic.
    "Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature, nor do the children of men as a whole experience it. Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure, or nothing."

Astonishing Member

I kinda want this to be connected to man of steel so that we don't have to see Superman and that perhaps wb can save the first meeting between Kara and Kal on big screen. That would be pretty exciting.

Phantom Zone Escapee manofsteel1979's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Sacred Knight View Post
    Telling y'all, set it in the future. 2035 or some such. Superman's in his 50's and has maybe gone off into space or something, and Kara takes up the mantle of Metropolis's protector. Figures out the Superman conundrum cleanly, and who doesn't love a futuristic city, budget permitting.
    OR...set in in modern day...have a vague refernce to a Superman once having existed 20-30 years ago having disappeared around or shortly after the turn of the century. Metropolis is without a protector...and into this comes Linda Danvers, fresh off the bus from Midvale...a Rookie Cop on the MPD under Maggie Sawyer. A new protector shows herself wearing familiar colors and displaying famous powers...named Supergirl by the Daily Planet's star reporter James Olsen. Meanwhile The new head of Luthorcorp Sydney Happerson has an invested interest in our new girl of Steel....and watches...and waits.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by manofsteel1979 View Post
    OR...set in in modern day...have a vague refernce to a Superman once having existed 20-30 years ago having disappeared around or shortly after the turn of the century. Metropolis is without a protector...and into this comes Linda Danvers, fresh off the bus from Midvale...a Rookie Cop on the MPD under Maggie Sawyer. A new protector shows herself wearing familiar colors and displaying famous powers...named Supergirl by the Daily Planet's star reporter James Olsen. Meanwhile The new head of Luthorcorp Sydney Happerson has an invested interest in our new girl of Steel....and watches...and waits.
    Sounds a bit like the Birds of Prey TV show, frankly.