Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Obsessed & Compelled Bored at 3:00AM's Avatar

Default Battle of the Super-Sons CGI movie *spoiler free thread until 10/20*

The film has just come out so I'd like to give people a couple days to watch it (legally) before we delve too deeply into spoilers.

I really enjoyed the film myself. There were so many moments that brought a big goofy smile to my face. This is 100% a love letter to the Tomasi/Gleason/Jimenez comics.

Anyone missing kid Jon should absolutely check this movie out. I'd rank it higher than Super-Pets, which I also enjoyed. It's not going to reinvent the wheel, but this is a solid film I'd use to introduce Superman to any kids.

It was great! People should definitely watch it!

Loved it. Loved every second of it! Y'all, please buy this movie (if you can, of course). I need more of this.

This was fantastic! Hope they make some more adventures with these two.

It's also a sobering reminder of what we've lost in the comics. Bring the Super Sons back, DC!

Kids loved it. And I think I might have enjoyed it more.

Very Super-centric, which was a nice surprise, but both Bats and Supers get plenty of screen time. Damian is an absolute joy of a miserable little twit, Jon is a lovable dumb puppy disguised as a Kent. Clark and Bruce are both handled well here, Clark more than I expected him to be, and Lois absolutely shines.

I'm pretty lukewarm on the Tomasi run. Started out decently enough but ran out of gas real quick, and I never cared for the sickeningly sweet Rockwellian Superdad bullshit. I have few good things to say about that run, and almost all of them end after issue 7. But this movie manages to avoid just about everything that annoyed me about Tomasi except the basic premise of Clark being a father.

One little tiny not-quite-a-spoiler, in case any parents out there were worried about this film repeating the "cat" incident with Jon; that doesn't happen. No innocent housecats were murdered in the movie. In fact the film is extremely tame. Little blood, some lite swearing, that's it, nothing I'd consider being even close to a parental red flag.

Between this and Super Pets, I wonder if DC isn't finding it's niche in the kids market? Really hoping this movie performs well.
    "We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe."

~ Black Panther.

I liked this movie a lot,and I think another superboy exists in this universe,possibly Conner
    Created from 2 of the greatest men,made with 2 powersets thst are both SUPER,and has 2 cool asf looks and attitudes.

Quote Originally Posted by Ascended View Post
    Kids loved it. And I think I might have enjoyed it more.

Very Super-centric, which was a nice surprise, but both Bats and Supers get plenty of screen time. Damian is an absolute joy of a miserable little twit, Jon is a lovable dumb puppy disguised as a Kent. Clark and Bruce are both handled well here, Clark more than I expected him to be, and Lois absolutely shines.

I'm pretty lukewarm on the Tomasi run. Started out decently enough but ran out of gas real quick, and I never cared for the sickeningly sweet Rockwellian Superdad bullshit. I have few good things to say about that run, and almost all of them end after issue 7. But this movie manages to avoid just about everything that annoyed me about Tomasi except the basic premise of Clark being a father.

One little tiny not-quite-a-spoiler, in case any parents out there were worried about this film repeating the "cat" incident with Jon; that doesn't happen. No innocent housecats were murdered in the movie. In fact the film is extremely tame. Little blood, some lite swearing, that's it, nothing I'd consider being even close to a parental red flag.

Between this and Super Pets, I wonder if DC isn't finding it's niche in the kids market? Really hoping this movie performs well.
    Always has been. They made the best Superhero cartoons especially in comparison to some of Marvel's efforts.

Even Batwheels is pretty well-produced.

The Man Who Cannot Die manwhohaseverything's Avatar

As a guy who pretty much loves supersons by tomasi..this was dud.Jon was a batfanboy who never dishes it back to prince damian.There was zero chemistry between jon and Damian.My nephew said it was boring.Also think that any of jon's "**** got real" moment wasn't in the movie.it's because of children..
    Last edited by manwhohaseverything; 10-18-2022 at 11:48 PM.
    "People’s Dreams... Have No Ends"

A very fun movie! Hope to see more of the Super Sons going forward.

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    Always has been. They made the best Superhero cartoons especially in comparison to some of Marvel's efforts.

Even Batwheels is pretty well-produced.
    Usually, yeah. Animation is one of the few places where DC traditionally dominates. But in the last few years there hasn't been a lot of kid-oriented animation has there? Super Hero Girls, and I don't even know if that's still a thing. Justice League Action, which ended years ago. The Tomorrow-verse movies don't seem overly bloody, violent, or sexual, but they don't seem to be made for kids either.

Maybe some stuff flew under my radar but I feel like it's been a minute since DC really knocked out a solid cartoon that was meant for children.
    "We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe."

~ Black Panther.

Quote Originally Posted by Ascended View Post
    Usually, yeah. Animation is one of the few places where DC traditionally dominates. But in the last few years there hasn't been a lot of kid-oriented animation has there? Super Hero Girls, and I don't even know if that's still a thing. Justice League Action, which ended years ago. The Tomorrow-verse movies don't seem overly bloody, violent, or sexual, but they don't seem to be made for kids either.

Maybe some stuff flew under my radar but I feel like it's been a minute since DC really knocked out a solid cartoon that was meant for children.
    I think there have been some kid friendly DTV's in the past few years...

Black Belt in Bad Ideas Robanker's Avatar

Loved it. Only two nitpicks.

1. Jon saying Batman is a greater Superhero is annoying, even if it makes sense a young child could think so. Is it really such a stretch to ask that Superman's own son, who shares his values, thinks Superman is the best? I guess so. Like Man of Tomorrow, it feels like WB is committed to comparing them at Bruces's benefit no matter what.

2. Lois addressing Jon directly on national TV, even name dropping him. She's too smart a reporter to basically dox her family that way. It's a very easy thread to follow once you have her do that. She really should have just said that the aliens hate fire. It's enough.

Wait. Three.

3. Lois has green eyes, not purple. Unforgivable!

Honestly, it's a great movie and probably my favorite World's Finest adaption. Lois steals the show every time she's on screen. Absolutely getting the blu-ray.

It's definitely for kids, but that's perfectly fine. I did miss Jon punching Damian in the gut, though. Ultimately the movie forgives Damian constantly, but it actually feels more like exemplifying the Super family's patience and kindness than worship.
    Last edited by Robanker; 10-20-2022 at 12:21 PM.
    May we never forget:

Quote Originally Posted by Gaius View Post
    Daddy Zeus can hit the bricks.
    Truer words never spoken.

The Man Who Cannot Die manwhohaseverything's Avatar

Jon is kind to damian and sympathetic in tomasi's run with talia and bruce being neglectful.Jon becomes the little brother damian has fun with.
    Damian gives it back ten fold when jon get's in trouble,superman being an ass and when jon gets rejected.But,boundaries are kept.Their fights become banters.Jon doesn't save damian.They protect each other like brothers.All for one and one for all.So there was no question of kindness and patience.They were equals..
    "People’s Dreams... Have No Ends"

Incredible Member

Loved this.

The only thing I didn't like was the animation style.

Quote Originally Posted by Robanker View Post
    Loved it. Only two nitpicks.

1. Jon saying Batman is a greater Superhero is annoying, even if it makes sense a young child could think so. Is it really such a stretch to ask that Superman's own son, who shares his values, thinks Superman is the best? I guess so. Like Man of Tomorrow, it feels like WB is committed to comparing them at Bruces's benefit no matter what.
    He just got some costume inspiration from it, I don't think it was that big of a deal.