Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Shalla Bal View Post
    On the map MajorHoy posted:
    the WTC was located in the green section (labeled on this particular map as Financial District)--it was located in the area between Liberty Street and Vesey Street.

I lived in Battery Park City 20 years ago (near the North Cove label on the map, shown just above the word BATTERY) and every morning I took a shortcut through the WTC everyday to get to the subway. I moved further uptown shortly after 9/11.
    That's amazing. Where were you during 9/11?

Most of my friends who live in the outer boroughs--Staten Island, Queens, etc.-- tell other people they live in NYC.
    Last edited by Shalla Bal; 11-06-2022 at 03:20 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by MajorHoy View Post
    A very wide open question.

Remember, New York is a state, and a decent sized one at that.
    New York City is made up of five boroughs: The Bronx, Brooklyn, Queens, Staten Island, and Manhattan. And when most people are referring to "New York City", unless they're from NYC they are likely referring to just Manhattan itself.

Thanks for pointing this out. When folks say they are heading to "New York" when they are referring to "New York City," I wince. For me, when I think of "New York," I think New York state, of forests and mountain areas, which is different from New York City. And I think a lot of the northern NJ folks can back me up when I say we don't say, "I'm heading to New York City this weekend." We'd say "I'm heading to the city this weekend."

Or wait on line for tickets to the Broadway show. (What is this in line phrase that you talk about? Seriously, what alternate reality is that from? Is that phrase even proper English?

Still, the phrase "the city" gives me pause. I never realized that I used it as a stand in for Manhattan until just now. If I was going to the other boroughs, I'd say I'm heading over to Brooklyn or Queens. Those are not part of "the city" to me, but still part of NYC. (I was interested in learning that a friend of mine from Queens used "the city" to refer to Manhattan. Felt that was cool.)

Quote Originally Posted by Tami View Post
    As someone from the West Bank of the Hudson, I've used either terms to describe the area. Downtown or the Financial District.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kirby101 View Post
    But do you consider the WTC as part of the Financial District, or more it's own thing? I never use the term Financial District anyway, when I talk about that area, I just say Wall Street. To me the whole bottom of Manhattan is Downtown, then there is Wall Street, WTC, Battery Park, City Hall, Bowling Green, etc... all parts of Downtown.
    Hmmm, I think I've used Financial District on occasion to talk about Wall Street, not so much WTC area. As a whole though, I'm more likely to use "Downtown." Still "Downtown" encompasses a lot. Anything below 14th. St is downtown to me. But places like Soho, Tribeca, Chinatown, Wall Street, Battery Park, City Hall, etc. are distinct areas. Of course, I'm just like Tami, a native of the west side of the Hudson . I think a couple of the other NYC posters might roll their eyes on my "authentic thoughts" on the city. Apologies!

As for the opening post, bro, hope you enjoy your stay. Yes, it's pretty cool to see how NYC in the comics matches up with NYC in real life. There were plenty of times when I walked on Bleeker Street thinking I'd passed by Dr. Strange's house. Or look up to some of the buildings around Union Square and hope to see Daredevil or Spider-Man swinging around.
    Last edited by Tien Long; 11-04-2022 at 08:09 PM.
    "I am a man of peace."

"A man of peace...who fights like ten tigers."

When I lived in Brooklyn, I would often refer to Manhattan as "the city." When I left work on Friday, if someone asked what I was doing for the weekend, I would sometimes say, "Oh, I'm going into the city tomorrow night."
    Watching television is not an activity.

Quote Originally Posted by Tien Long View Post
    Thanks for pointing this out. When folks say they are heading to "New York" when they are referring to "New York City," I wince. For me, when I think of "New York," I think New York state, of forests and mountain areas, which is different from New York City. And I think a lot of the northern NJ folks can back me up when I say we don't say, "I'm heading to New York City this weekend." We'd say "I'm heading to the city this weekend."
    As a guy who was born and raised in Essex County, NJ (Montclair to be precise), I agree on referring to Manhattan as just "the city". If I was going to the city of Newark, NJ (the NJ city probably closest to Montclair), that would be referred to as "Newark" as opposed to "the city". Hell, I use to walk only half a block from the house where my family use to live to catch the bus into "the city".

As a guy who was born and raised in Essex County, NJ (Montclair to be precise), I agree on referring to Manhattan as just "the city". If I was going to the city of Newark, NJ (the NJ city probably closest to Montclair), that would be referred to as "Newark" as opposed to "the city". Hell, I use to walk only half a block from the house where my family use to live to catch the bus into "the city".
    I was less inclined to refer to it as "The City" since I grew up in Jersey City. If anything I'd say I was going into New York and leave it at that. I'd take the PATH train into New York. If pressed for more details, I might say Manhattan.
    Original join date: 11/23/2004
    Eclectic Connoisseur of all things written, drawn, or imaginatively created.

Incredible Member

Of course, I'm just like Tami, a native of the west side of the Hudson . I think a couple of the other NYC posters might roll their eyes on my "authentic thoughts" on the city. Apologies!
    This reminds me of the How I Met Your Mother episode where Ted gets so incensed that a pair of girls say they're "basically from New York" when they're from New Jersey!

Incidentally, since I've been talking a lot about filming locations, I've been trying to find out where the fictional Dunder Mifflin Corporate building is, and it turns out, it's in the Simon and Schuster Building!

Quote Originally Posted by Malvolio View Post
    When I lived in Brooklyn, I would often refer to Manhattan as "the city." When I left work on Friday, if someone asked what I was doing for the weekend, I would sometimes say, "Oh, I'm going into the city tomorrow night."
    Ha quoted for truth. And that's something unique as well to a lot of people in this area. The NY/NJ area has many cities. Newark, Jersey City, and Elizabeth come to mind. But the city is designated for NYC. There's something special in that.

Quote Originally Posted by Tami View Post
    I was less inclined to refer to it as "The City" since I grew up in Jersey City. If anything I'd say I was going into New York and leave it at that. I'd take the PATH train into New York. If pressed for more details, I might say Manhattan.
    Very interesting. Big respect to Jersey City. I taught there for a number of years and visited it often before that. I'm amazed to see its growth, especially its downtown area, close to the Marin Ave. PATH station. Have you ever used the term "JC" for Jersey City?

Quote Originally Posted by Slimybug View Post
    This reminds me of the How I Met Your Mother episode where Ted gets so incensed that a pair of girls say they're "basically from New York" when they're from New Jersey!

Incidentally, since I've been talking a lot about filming locations, I've been trying to find out where the fictional Dunder Mifflin Corporate building is, and it turns out, it's in the Simon and Schuster Building!
    Ha, maybe check out the New York Public Library on 5th and 42nd. That was featured in the Ghostbusters film. Or head up to 116th for Columbia University and Low Library. The 2002 Spider-Man movie filmed the school trip scene there.
    "I am a man of peace."

Incredible Member

Ha, maybe check out the New York Public Library on 5th and 42nd. That was featured in the Ghostbusters film. Or head up to 116th for Columbia University and Low Library. The 2002 Spider-Man movie filmed the school trip scene there.
    Oh, my friend, there's so much from the world of filming locations! But most of it seems to be in Midtown or around there!

So anyway, I recently learned that the actual street BROADWAY isn't actually in The Theater District. All the theaters I've heard about before are there in the theater district, Richard Rogers, St. James, Majestic. But they're all on different streets, not on a street called Broadway!

What the hell?

Oh, my friend, there's so much from the world of filming locations! But most of it seems to be in Midtown or around there!

So anyway, I recently learned that the actual street BROADWAY isn't actually in The Theater District. All the theaters I've heard about before are there in the theater district, Richard Rogers, St. James, Majestic. But they're all on different streets, not on a street called Broadway!

What the hell?
    Broadway runs through Times Square from 42nd Street to about 49th. All the B-Way theaters are on either side of it. Broadway IS the Theater District.
    There came a time when the Old Gods died! The Brave died with the Cunning! The Noble perished locked in battle with unleashed Evil! It was the last day for them! An ancient era was passing in fiery holocaust!

Broadway runs through Times Square from 42nd Street to about 49th. All the B-Way theaters are on either side of it. Broadway IS the Theater District.
    Here are maps of the Broadway theaters: https://www.walksofnewyork.com/blog/...broadwaymap_sm

http://www.discoverbroadway.com/Dire...a-dist-map.htm

Ambassador Theatre - 8
    American Airlines Theatre - 41
    August Wilson Theatre - 03
    Belasco Theatre - 38
    Bernard Jacobs - 26
    Booth Theatre - 28
    Broadhurst Theatre - 33
    Broadway Theatre - 02
    Brooks Atkinson Theatre - 15
    Circle in the Square Theatre - 07
    Cort Theatre - 12
    Ethel Barrymore Theatre - 13
    Eugene O'Neil Theatre - 09
    Gershwin Theatre - 06
    Hilton Theatre - 40
    Hirschfeld Theatre - 24
    Helen Hayes Theatre - 37
    Imperial Theatre - 23
    John Golden Theatre - 25
    Longacre Theatre - 11
    Lunt-Fontanne Theatre - 16
    Lyceum Theatre - 21
    Majestic Theatre - 34
    Marquis Theatre - 20
    Minskoff Theatre - 29
    Music Box Theatre - 22
    Nederlander Theatre - 43
    Neil Simon Theatre - 04
    New Amsterdam Theatre - 42
    Palace Theatre - 14
    Richard Rogers Theatre - 19
    St. James Theatre - 36
    Shubert Theatre - 32
    Studio 54 Theatre - 01
    Schoenfeld Thetre - 27
    Winter Garden Theatre - 05
    Walter Kerr Theatre - 10

Incredible Member

Ah, it appears I was mistaken. This happens from time to time.

I just saw a street called Broadway in lower Manhattan, and then looked up the addresses of the three theaters I listed above, that I already knew, and saw they weren't on Broadway. I figure dthey'd all be on the same street, theaters on both sides running all along it.

Ah, it appears I was mistaken. This happens from time to time.

I just saw a street called Broadway in lower Manhattan, and then looked up the addresses of the three theaters I listed above, that I already knew, and saw they weren't on Broadway. I figure dthey'd all be on the same street, theaters on both sides running all along it.
    Broadway actually extends beyond New York City into Westchester County, running up to the town of Sleepy Hollow.
    (Yes, there actually is a "Sleepy Hollow" in reality; it's not just a fictional place in a story about a headless horseman.)

Broadway actually extends beyond New York City into Westchester County, running up to the town of Sleepy Hollow.
    (Yes, there actually is a "Sleepy Hollow" in reality; it's not just a fictional place in a story about a headless horseman.)
    That's what got me about Broadway when I was learning about it, just how broad it actually is. As a kid, I just knew Broadway as being the place with all of the theaters and musicals and associated strictly with Times Square. However, as a college student, I was surprised to learn that Broadway cut into 14th St. and the Union Square area and went deeper into Lower Manhattan and eventually into Wall St. Nothing better than walking up Broadway (or Westside Highway or 5th Ave.) when classes let out and just going up to midtown.

If anyone is really into NYC history, check out the Museum of the City of New York: https://www.mcny.org/ . It has an excellent permanent exhibit on the history of NYC, plus great rotating exhibits on a myriad of topics.
    "I am a man of peace."

The current name of the town is Tarrytown, but Washington Irving did live there for some time.
    Watching television is not an activity.