Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Extraordinary Member CaptainEurope's Avatar

Default Energy Crisis: What are you doing to help?

I've always tried to conserve as little as possible because I've always believed in man-made climate change, like I never had a car. but I must admit that exploding prices after the war against Ukraine started have shown me that I can do more.

I'm taking shorter showers, interrupting the flow of water to lather up with a sponge and then rinse off quickly.
    I don't have the TV on in the background when I am not actively watching.
    I eat sandwiches for dinner a few times a week instead of cooking a warm meal.

Is there anything you have changed or are planning to change?B

Not yet, but we'll try to heat a bit less at home. What I hope for the most is that offices, shops, etc. will do that, because even before the crisis, I always complained about overheating during winter. In my previous job, I had some of those colleagues who think they should wear short sleeves during winter and have 25 degrees inside and would complain about me opening window to let some fresh air in. And in some shops or public transport, they also seem to believe that drivers and cashiers should be dressed like in summer and when you come in from outside with warm jacket, you get a heat shock. So I hope that this habit will end at least.

I don't drive and don't have a car for other than environmental reasons, so there's that. I'm certainly not going to change my habits around showering or eating, but I'll try to make sure I don't have a light on in room I'm not in, stuff like that.
    Slava Ukraini!
    Truth and love must prevail over lies and hatred

Quote Originally Posted by Catlady in training View Post
    Not yet, but we'll try to heat a bit less at home. What I hope for the most is that offices, shops, etc. will do that, because even before the crisis, I always complained about overheating during winter. In my previous job, I had some of those colleagues who think they should wear short sleeves during winter and have 25 degrees inside and would complain about me opening window to let some fresh air in. And in some shops or public transport, they also seem to believe that drivers and cashiers should be dressed like in summer and when you come in from outside with warm jacket, you get a heat shock. So I hope that this habit will end at least.

I don't drive and don't have a car for other than environmental reasons, so there's that. I'm certainly not going to change my habits around showering or eating, but I'll try to make sure I don't have a light on in room I'm not in, stuff like that.
    The local "Kaufhof-Galeria" department store put up signs that they lowered the temperature and hope customers will understand. Also, our government passed a law that shops need to have the doors closed in fall and winter now, though I have mixed feelings about that because of the "fall wave" of covid and the need to ventilate places well. Discount grocery chain Aldi just announced closing shops at 8 PM instead of 9 to conserve energy.

BANNED

I've finally stopped hoarding Twinkies

Quote Originally Posted by Micabe View Post
    I've finally stopped hoarding Twinkies
    But what if you are attacked by super villains?

Astonishing Member

My trip to the USA taught me, that this great country has a lot to learn from Europe regarding energy conserving.

They still serve plastic bottles and plates in many diners. I pay 20 Dollar for a meal and have to eat from plastic. Hilarious. You couldn't do that to your customers in Germany. They would outright leave the restaurant. (McD or Burger King doesn't count)

The city's and even the coast is completely lit in the night. Everywhere the signs from shops are blinking and flashing or just permantely switched on.

In two of our hotels the light in the staircase were on the whole day and night. (maybe its still cheap?)

No return system with bottles. Just throw everything in one trash can.

Worst thing, air conditioning is going full tilt in many shops, so that you are freezing to death and leave early. I will never understand why every shop powers up the air conditioner even when its not hot outside.

I observed many people leave the motor running when they hit the supermarket, one even let his F150 truck running while going into a pick up restaurant. I mean it takes a few minutes to get back. The first one I noticed I told him he forgot to turn off the engine, he just laughed and walked off into the shop.

Not to piss on your country, I love it over there. Just what I noticed.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by DanMad1977 View Post
    My trip to the USA taught me, that this great country has a lot to learn from Europe regarding energy conserving.

They still serve plastic bottles and plates in many diners. I pay 20 Dollar for a meal and have to eat from plastic. Hilarious. You couldn't do that to your customers in Germany. They would outright leave the restaurant. (McD or Burger King doesn't count)

The city's and even the coast is completely lit in the night. Everywhere the signs from shops are blinking and flashing or just permantely switched on.

In two of our hotels the light in the staircase were on the whole day and night. (maybe its still cheap?)

Worst thing, air conditioning is going full tilt in many shops, so that you are freezing to death and leave early. I will never understand why every shop powers up the air conditioner even when its not hot outside.

I observed many people leave the motor running when they hit the supermarket, one even let his F150 truck running while going into a pick up restaurant. I mean it takes a few minutes to get back. The first one I noticed I told him he forgot to turn off the engine, he just laughed and walked off into the shop.

We have a return system with bottles. Just, IMO, not worth the effort but our garbage is separated by recyclables so I just throw all my plastic/paper there.

I run my heat less. When it gets cold and it has been getting cold here so far I put on a sweatshirt or cover up with a blanket on the sofa. We have a couple small space heaters that is cutting way down on our electric consumption. Less lights on in the house.

I dont drive and when I have my case manager drive me places I combine my trip and do many things in one go. I am also using a lot less water and in warm weather I dry my clothes from the wash outside rather then in the Dryer.

I also do recycling. As well there is a bin where we can recycle our plastic bags that we get from the store.
    Last edited by babyblob; 10-19-2022 at 06:13 AM.
    This Post Contains No Artificial Intelligence. It Contains No Human Intelligence Either.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by shooshoomanjoe View Post
    We have a return system with bottles. Just, IMO, not worth the effort but our garbage is separated by recyclables so I just throw all my plastic/paper there.
    I didnt know that. The return system should be easy to handle, or people are not using it. We can throw the bottles in a special automation in the supermarket and get money out of it. 8 to 30 cents per bottle or so

Where exactly were you visiting where you witnessed this? I've never seen many people doing this in Texas or Florida or heard of it happening honestly.

Astonishing Member

I didnt know that. The return system should be easy to handle, or people are not using it. We can throw the bottles in a special automation in the supermarket and get money out of it. 8 to 30 cents per bottle or so
    That'd be nice to have. Here, you have to hoard your plastics until you have a bunch then take it to the recycling plant that gives you a few dollars.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Dalak View Post
    Where exactly were you visiting where you witnessed this? I've never seen many people doing this in Texas or Florida or heard of it happening honestly.
    Cocoa Beach twice (okay it was hot), Key Largo and Key West. I suspect they did that the air condition keeps the car cold inside?

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by shooshoomanjoe View Post
    That'd be nice to have. Here, you have to hoard your plastics until you have a bunch then take it to the recycling plant that gives you a few dollars.

Its a start. But I can imagine how long I would wait till I transport them over to the place :-)

Cocoa Beach twice (okay it was hot), Key Largo and Key West. I suspect they did that the air condition keeps the car cold inside?
    Not my area as I'm in Tampa, but you say you saw many people? I know there are some delivery drivers who do stuff like that but when I see them I mention how much they're wasting on Gas $.

I'm just a bit surprised and doubtful that many people would be doing this considering how much Gas prices are an issue nowadays.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Dalak View Post
    Not my area as I'm in Tampa, but you say you saw many people? I know there are some delivery drivers who do stuff like that but when I see them I mention how much they're wasting on Gas $.

I'm just a bit surprised and doubtful that many people would be doing this considering how much Gas prices are an issue nowadays.
    Hm, is it technical possible that the engine is off but the air conditioning is still running, so that it does make a sound outside?

I myself am forced to turn the heaters off at home, because gas prices almost triplet. I have an stack where I can fire wood now, but paid double the price for the wood. Electricity prices soared too, so I switch the lights out wherever I don't need it.

I wanted to buy a pool for the summer, but thats out of the question now.

Sad thing is, I only do something for the environment when it hurts my wallet.