Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567

Congratulations to foxley for a cover which brilliantly combined detail with an exquisite representation of insect wings. Rite purdy and in French, too.

In this Peak of the Week, the captain has learned that there are numerous examples of comics in languages other than English. The focus the US took with a heavy reliance on cape comics is something that is tragic (to an extent). Comics are a brilliant medium for telling stories and have been one of the first to tell stories going back to animals painted on cave walls before written languages were developed. It is enjoyable to see how other parts of the world use pictures and word balloons to tell stories.

Quote Originally Posted by Kirby101 View Post
    It wasn't a rule, just my personal preference on this subject. There is never a "no frogs" rule.
    I get this. Our views on the strictness of the theme rules are noticeably different and that is a good thing. I agree with your desire to see non-translated comics to get a much better idea of other nations' production. I regret not putting an emoji signifying my comment was a joke even though I love pushing envelopes and playing the Rule 7 card at every opportunity possible. Thank you for understanding.
    I’ll don the mask and wear the cape
    If I am super, how can I wait?

Quote Originally Posted by Iron Maiden View Post
    I did but found the choices to be very limited or not one I wanted to use.
    "Doom Comics Group in Latverian" didn't show anything? I guess Victor is really anti-piracy.
    I’ll don the mask and wear the cape
    If I am super, how can I wait?

Well done foxley!
    Thanks for your vote Stony!
    The Cover Contest Weekly Winners ThreadSo much winning!!

"When fascism comes to America it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying a cross." - Sinclair Lewis

“It’s your party and you can cry if you want to.” - Captain Europe

Quote Originally Posted by Iron Maiden View Post
    I have to add that I found this topic challenging. I had to first of all find out the names of any non-American comic book publishing companies, then look then up on mycomicshop. A lot of times there were no covers there because the comics were out of stock so no cover image was posted there.
    For me, I thought about doing what you describe here, but ultimately just decided to go with sentimentality from past travels rather than find a non-American cover that I just randomly found through a search or had no idea about. Each of these challenges tend to leave a lot open to interpretation. After I posted mine, my biggest fear was that it would get votes and then there might be controversy!

Anyway I am happy that a non-American won. I believe foxley is Aussie. Go Aus!
    Last edited by Scott Taylor; 10-26-2022 at 11:18 AM.
    Every day is a gift, not a given right.

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Taylor View Post

Anyway I am happy that a non-American won. I believe foxley is Aussie. Go Aus!
    Indeed I am.

And if the winning cover has piqued anyone's interest, Titan have published a translated edition.

Congratulations, foxley!

Congrats!

Congrats foxley.
    Original join date: 11/23/2004
    Eclectic Connoisseur of all things written, drawn, or imaginatively created.