Super Moderator

Default Hall & Williams Build Something New Out of Disney & Marvel DNA with "Big Hero 6"

The directors explain how they combined the strongest elements of Disney and Marvel-style storytelling to create a fresh take on superheroics.

Full article here.

BANNED

Good interview. As a Marvel fan I think what Disney has done is brilliant. Disney knows how to make all-ages ( but kid friendly) entertainment..its a natural progression to let Disney do what it does best--and Marvel do what it does best.

Yeah, this was a great interview. Like how Marvel gave them plenty of liberties to do what they wanted to do with the property.

Protect the weak. Darth Phoenix's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Xalfrea View Post
    Yeah, this was a great interview. Like how Marvel gave them plenty of liberties to do what they wanted to do with the property.
    I know my favorite part is how Disney cannot even bother to slap a Marvel Logo on the advertisments to give credit. lol

At the very least they acknowledged it's based off Marvel's BH6 comic in the trailer.

I think maybe the two companies ironed that aspect when it came to this movie pre-production, one of them being not to stamp the Marvel logo anywhere.

So it's not "Disney cannot even bother". Just to let you know.

Protect the weak. Darth Phoenix's Avatar

I saw the logo with the caveman or whatever it was roll after the Disney logo and was just annoyed me that Marvel was left off.

Spectacular Member

Quote Originally Posted by CBR News View Post
    Marvel's Chief Creative Officer Joe Quesada and Head of Television Jeph Loeb screened your film. Tell me what the input from the guys on the comic book side meant to you.

Hall: It meant the world. Unfortunately, I never got a chance to meet Chris Claremont, but Jeph and Joe, in addition to some of the other Marvel guys, came in early on. They would come in probably before the story even started getting storyboarded. We were just in early, early development. They were coming in every three weeks. They'd probably come in, and we'd show them some art work or new thoughts or whatever. And they were all just really supportive. They were just here to support in any way, and then when we actually started the storyboarding process, then they started coming to screenings and giving us creative input just like any of the other directors would. They became just sort of 'friends of the court' and really mixed well with our group of directors, and they gave story notes that were story notes. They weren't coming from a Marvel perspective. They were coming from a story perspective, and they became very clear early on that we speak the same language.

Williams: They were great, yeah. They were very supportive of our process, and at the same time, they were never restrictive, and they never said, "No, you can't do that." They understood that we needed the movie where it needed to go. So they were never limiting.

I always find it odd that Marvel never goes deeper on their bench for these types of things. At best, you get a writer like Brian Bendis to consult on a project, even if he's never handled the property before. But I'm betting Joe Quesada and Jeph Loeb knew next to nothing about Big Hero 6. If I were them, I would've reached out to others and brought along some expertise, like Steven T. Seagle & Duncan Rouleau of "Man of Action" (creators of Big Hero 6), Scott Lobdell (who authored the first "Big Hero 6" mini as well as the guest appearance in "Alpha Flight" which introduced Sunpyre and Ebon Samurai), Chris Claremont & David Nakayama (who created the second "Big Hero 6" series), or even Jordan White (who edited the second series).