Page 1 of 48 1234511 ... LastLast

Default The New Golden Age: Discussion Thread

Someone (D.Z) mentioned in the Flashpoint Beyond thread that we should start a New Golden Age thread to talk all things that are coming out of Flashpoint Beyond and the Stargirl spring break special. What do we have to talk about?

1. We have time travel

2. We have returning characters like Helena Wayne Huntress

3. We have 13 new characters who got sent to the 1940's and are being reintegrated into the timeline

4. We got missing golden age children captured by someone named the Childminder

5. Possibly the Legion of Superheroes

6. Definitely the new generation of Watchmen characters.
    "It's fun and it's cool, so that's all that matters. It's what comics are for, Duh."
    Words to live by.

I'm here for the new Who's Who pages on these characters.

Extraordinary Member DragonPiece's Avatar

I’m hoping one of the unannounced projects will be a time masters miniseries, really want to more with them. Though with them having a supporting role in the first JSA arc(which is already a crowded title), I’m doubtful they get a book so soon.

This all sounds really cool! Johns planning to introduce new Golden Age characters and shake up continuity/DC history reminds me of what Roy Thomas did with All Star Squadron and Infinity Inc.

The Golden Age of comics seemed to introduce a new character every month (companies wanted to cash in on the Superman craze), so there is tons of story potential.

I’m liking the diversity too. Wing was the first Asian superhero. It’s about time they acknowledge that. Plus I’m really interested to see John Henry Jr. Glad it’s not the same guy from New Frontier but the design definitely looks inspired by Cooke.

This is one of the more interesting things DC has done in years. Nice to have Johns back. I’m hoping he just comes up with the stories and characters and then let’s other writers do the actual comic.
    Last edited by Robotman; 10-19-2022 at 08:28 PM.

Astonishing Member

Astonishing Member

JSA Huntress.jpg
    Huntress?

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    I'm here for the new Who's Who pages on these characters.
    Yeah, I'm also want to know more about these new characters.

We've been given some pages from Stargirl: the Lost Children #1, including one with a “conspiracy board” (I don't know what the actual term for it is) which gives more information on the various lost children. There's also an alternate New Golden Age cover that shows seven characters from SG:tLT in the foreground and seven related Golden Age characters in the background. Stargirl pairs with Stripsey; Secret pairs with the Spectre; Salem the Witch Girl pairs with Dr. Fate; Cherry Bomb pairs with the Human Bomb; Wing pairs with the Crimson Avenger; “Hourboy” pairs with Hourman; and “teen Mr. Terrific” pairs with Mr. Terrific.
    Rogue wears rouge.
    Angel knows all the angles.

Johns has said that he's a big fan of James Robinson's The Golden Age, and that he wouldn't be the fan of Golden Age characters that he is without that; so I'm not going to be surprised if New Golden Age turns out to be a spiritual successor/homage to said Elseworld. I also won't be surprised if that book serves as a modern version of The History of the DC Universe, laying out what the new timeline is from the Justice Society's debut to the present day.
    Rogue wears rouge.

Quote Originally Posted by Dataweaver View Post
    Johns has said that he's a big fan of James Robinson's The Golden Age, and that he wouldn't be the fan of Golden Age characters that he is without that; so I'm not going to be surprised if New Golden Age turns out to be a spiritual successor/homage to said Elseworld. I also won't be surprised if that book serves as a modern version of The History of the DC Universe, laying out what the new timeline is from the Justice Society's debut to the present day.
    Just as a side note, Robinson's Golden Age remains one of my favorite books and I'm sad we never got to see his Silver Age follow-up. I'd love to see something tackling all the years in-between the JSA retiring and the continued sliding timeline of the "new heroic age" with Superman, Batman, JLA's debut, etc. How many characters introduced in the 50s-90s could remain native to those years but stay viable as heroes/characters today? And who, if anyone, filled in during those (now) four decades (assuming modern-day DCU "started" roughly twenty years ago).

Quote Originally Posted by Kaijudo View Post
    Just as a side note, Robinson's Golden Age remains one of my favorite books and I'm sad we never got to see his Silver Age follow-up. I'd love to see something tackling all the years in-between the JSA retiring and the continued sliding timeline of the "new heroic age" with Superman, Batman, JLA's debut, etc. How many characters introduced in the 50s-90s could remain native to those years but stay viable as heroes/characters today? And who, if anyone, filled in during those (now) four decades (assuming modern-day DCU "started" roughly twenty years ago).
    Funny you should mention that… One of the JSA covers features a 90s throwback JSA: Jack Knight, Jared Stevens, JLI-style Black Canary, and the JSA's top trio in 90s-style outfits. What if that's in continuity, as a new take on “what the Justice Society was like in the 90s”?
    Rogue wears rouge.

After the long wait, I’m excited to see what happens with the new characters and the JSAers and their families from multiple eras and dimensions.

Quote Originally Posted by scary harpy View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by scary harpy View Post
    That's definitely Huntress. The first image includes the Golden Age Robin; if that's actually in continuity, it raises some questions about what the new timeline's Golden Age was like. Are Superman and Batman being re-inserted into the original Golden Age?
    Rogue wears rouge.

Quote Originally Posted by Dataweaver View Post
    That's definitely Huntress. The first image includes the Golden Age Robin; if that's actually in continuity, it raises some questions about what the new timeline's Golden Age was like. Are Superman and Batman being re-inserted into the original Golden Age?
    Not from the look of things but there is a Golden Age Aquaman whose showing up
    "It's fun and it's cool, so that's all that matters. It's what comics are for, Duh."
    Words to live by.