Page 42 of 48 FirstFirst ... 32383940414243444546 ... LastLast
    Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    I guess now we have four female Speedsters (five if Linda keeps hers, I guess?).
    Avery, Jesse, Judy, XS, Irie.
    Linda would make 6

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by JThree View Post
    More revisionism. In the Pre-Crisis on Infinite Earths history, Helena's mother, Selina, was killed accidentally during a heist, and Bruce Wayne retired from being Batman. Now it's the other way around. Couldn't DC just leave some parts of a disavowed continuity alone. For the sake of us older fans.

--jthree
    Yeah, I kinda expected it to be Selina who died, to be honest. But I'm okay with the twist. Frankly, Batman being killed by Per Degaton as part of a plot to destroy the JSA across centuries is a better story than Batman being killed by a random criminal who just happened to get his hands on a mystical artifact...

Quote Originally Posted by Dataweaver View Post
    1976 is Power Girl's first appearance in DC Comics. No mention of a Golden Age Superman, I'm guessing. I'm also guessing that Johns' intent is that, as much as possible, the JSA adventures occurred in the years they were published right up to 1985, and possible even beyond that. “As much as possible” doesn't include a Golden Age Superman or Batman, and the latter is why Huntress has been moved to the future.
    As I said on the other thread about the timeline, I love the fact that the JSA is now around in the 70's too and have a multi-decade history on Earth 0. And that, as far as possible, Johns is trying to adhere to the characters' actual publication history.

Power Girl existing in 1976 took me aback at first, but the more I think about it, it kinda works. Power Girl simply hasn't been that tied to Superman since COIE (unlike Huntress where even Bertinelli was tied to the Bat-family). She can show up in 1976 in a rocketship as a refugee/remnant of a previous timeline/alternate universe and be discovered by the JSA (instead of Kal-L), and not really know about her past until decades later (which is how they handled it just before IC).

Quote Originally Posted by Dataweaver View Post
    I actually agree with that. What I was saying is that Ragnarok allows them to start out anchored to WWII and later transition to a sliding timeline: everything up to Last Days of the JSA appears to be anxious in WWII while everything from Armageddon: Inferno on is on the sliding timeline. That's what I meant by transitioning from one to the other: not that everything has become a sliding timeline, but that, like Captain America, there's a 20th Century history of the JSA that doesn't slide (1940 to 1985 or so), and then there's a modern history that does slide (roughly twenty years worth of history so far), with the JSA's direct participation starting with Armageddon: Inferno.

There are a few kinks in this theory, which I'll get to in a moment; but on the whole, I think it successfully addresses most of the JSA's history. Those kinks:

1. Silver-Age Justice League was “twenty years ago” (up from the “fifteen years ago” that was originally proposed in Zero Hour's sliding timeline), whereas Silver-Age Justice Society was in the 1960s to the 1980s. That requires Silver Age crossovers between the two to be recast as era-hopping rather than world-hopping, from Flash of Two Worlds to Crisis on Infinite Earths. This gets a bit tricky with the occasional crossover that was originally based on time travel, like the one that brought back the Seven Soldiers of Victory (were they brought back to the 1970s or to “fifteen years ago”?); but for the most part, it works.

2. No Golden Age Superman or Batman. This is less of a problem for the JSA than it is for Power Girl and Huntress. Johns appears to have left Power Girl's arrival in 1976, which is currently over 25 years before Superman's debut “twenty years ago”, while recasting the “Golden Age Batman” stuff that leads up to Helena Wayne as a potential near future. It's not the cleanest solution, in that we now have the 1977–1985 JSA material echoing between those years (for Power Girl) and “twenty six years from now” (for Huntress). This kind of works, but isn't clean.

3. Infinity Inc. was introduced within a year of the Crisis on Infinite Earths. Does their debut occur in 1984, or on the sliding timescale? If the latter, the idea that they're the children of the JSA becomes increasingly untenable as the sliding timeline increasingly distances itself from the 20th century. If they debuted in 1984, when and how did they end up on the sliding timeline?

4. Not so much a kink as a question: did anything JSA-related happen between 1985 and the start of the sliding timeline? Currently, that's a roughly 25-year gap, mostly corresponding to the 90s. My own preference would be to leave that blank and say that everything JSA-based that was published in the 90s is part of the sliding timeline and at this point happened in the early 21st century, probably in the early 2010s; but I can also see some potential in leaving some of it left in the actual 90s (e.g., the “90s throwback JSA” cover). I prefer the former because it's cleaner; but the latter fits better with the notion of every generation having its own JSA.

Finally: although I speak of a “sliding timeline”, Johns has actually been featuring a “stuttering timeline”: rather than smoothly shifting forward as the years go by as originally posited in 1970 are revisited in 1995, Doomsday Clock established that Johns' preferred approach is to try to have the “sliding” timeline skip forward every ten or fifteen years, and remain more or less stationary between the skips. That doesn't really affect my analysis here, because you still have the notion of one part of the timeline that's anchored to 1940 (most of the pre-Crisis JSA stuff) and another part of the timeline that's being dragged forward through time. Whether that's a smooth “slide” or something that happens in fits and starts, the overall effect is the same.

Final note: the increasing disconnect between the 20th century and the modern “sliding timeline” makes the “Aquaman is a legacy” thing increasingly a non-issue, because Golden Age Aquaman is increasingly in the past where the Aquaman mythos is concerned. And as I've said before: even where the connection exists, it's more like the way Alan Scott was Green Lantern before Hal Jordan was, but that doesn't make Hal a legacy of Alan.
    Yeah, I broadly agree with most of this...though it remains to be seen what Johns' approach is.

Quote Originally Posted by sifighter View Post
    Huh how did I notice until just now. Looking at that Annual cover made me realize that Johns had future Batman wear the Earth-2 JSA blue batman suit.
    Nice to see I'm not the only one who caught that!

At first I thought it was just the standard Year One suit with blue highlights (ala Hush), but then I saw the classic capsule belt.

Quote Originally Posted by Will Evans View Post
    Avery, Jesse, Judy, XS, Irie.
    Linda would make 6
    Do we really count XS? She’s currently more of a multiverse flash who shows up every once in a while, which we can blame on LOSH continuity.
    "It's fun and it's cool, so that's all that matters. It's what comics are for, Duh."
    Words to live by.

Preview for JSA #1 let’s go! More Huntress and some Grundy

https://aiptcomics.com/2022/11/23/dc...-of-america-1/
    "It's fun and it's cool, so that's all that matters. It's what comics are for, Duh."
    Words to live by.

Very nice!
    Rogue wears rouge.
    Angel knows all the angles.

Astonishing Member

Wow!

Loads to unpack here.

spoilers:
    I definitely did not expect a breakdown of Batman's timeline that more or less gives us his exact age in current continuity. The Wayne murders happened 31 years ago, and Selina became Catwoman (in a panel straight out of Year One) 13 years ago. That would make Bruce around 39 now (the 18 year gap between the murders and Bruce becoming Batman is from Year One and Bruce was 25, possibly turning 26, in that story, so I'm going with him being 8 at the time of the murders).

Dunno how Damian's age makes sense with Bruce being 39 and becoming Batman at 25-26...guess there is some rapid ageing involved there after all

Anyway, it seems that they're keeping the Earth Two story of Batman being killed by a random criminal (Bill Jensen most likely) empowered by a sorcerer (had to look up Frederick Vaux). It does give the vibe that this is the same Helena Wayne who, like every other DC character, has had her origins pushed forward in time and slightly altered, but fundamentally the same.

I wonder if Batman, in this possible future, became a member of the JSA? He's on the cover as a JSA member (unless that's Wildcat...)
    end of spoilers

spoilers:
    I'm pretty sure she's about to find out that her dad's killer wasn't quite as random as she thought.
    end of spoilers
    Rogue wears rouge.
    Angel knows all the angles.

Oh Johns, why did you have to be so specific with the dates? Lol
    That’s just asking for trouble. Now Damian might be older than Batman Year One?
    All they had to do was say “decades ago”, “many years ago”, “the near future”. It would take away nothing from the actual story and wouldn’t highlight how messy DC’s continuity has gotten.

The art looks great, though.
    I wouldn’t mind if Johns establishes that the Trinity ended up joining the Justice Society in Huntress’s future. It would be a nice nod to their history with the team and would explain why Degaton was supposedly involved in Batman’s death.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Factor View Post
    All they had to do was say “decades ago”, “many years ago”, “the near future”. It would take away nothing from the actual story and wouldn’t highlight how messy DC’s continuity has gotten.

The art looks great, though.
    I wouldn’t mind if Johns establishes that the Trinity ended up joining the Justice Society in Huntress’s future. It would be a nice nod to their history with the team and would explain why Degaton was supposedly involved in Batman’s death.
    Yeah, I'm torn about it. On the one hand, the comic-book geek in me loves specific timelines...on the other hand, I like them to make some sense if they are going to get specific.

Like, it wouldn't have killed them to make it '20 years ago'!

13 years brings us back to the timeline of the Post-IC era (it used to be a 12 year timeline, plus 'One Year Later'), which is back when Damian was first introduced...as a 9 year old (or 10, I lose count). He's currently supposed to be 14, I believe. So we're back to the New 52 idea of him being rapidly aged-up I guess. Are these mental gymnastics really worth keeping Bruce under 40?

Bringing up the Arkhams, why do I get the sense Johns is going to throw in his Earth One plot point about the Wayne Family relations to the Arkhams?

I don't love that Huntress suit.

Astonishing Member

Bringing up the Arkhams, why do I get the sense Johns is going to throw in his Earth One plot point about the Wayne Family relations to the Arkhams?

The simple, not-retconning-Kate-and-Bruce-being-cousins route would be making their grandmother an Arkham, but the recent movie and Bob Kane’s infamy probably allows a wholesale replacement

I've gone and posted this in the Justice Society of America 2022-2023(?) series general thread for anybody who wants to discuss this there.

Yes! Grundy as a member of the future JSA. Love it!

He worked in a Three Jokers reference so it's highly possible.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Factor View Post
    Yup. While certain fans may love concrete dates and timelines, these same fans will absolutely loathe them three years from now and decry why the date from three years earlier is no longer accurate. lol
    Keep in mind that you have about as much chance of changing my mind as I do of changing yours.