Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Magneto Theory

Stop trying to make "Joseph" happen.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Frobisher View Post
    His original storyline might not have been the most impactfull or well remembered (just like the man himself), but at least he died a heroic death (stabilizing Earth's magnetic field to undo Magneto's damage), which would have made it worth it to leave him dead.

A brief but well rounded little arc for a character who never caught on.

Bringing him back has so far only resulted in tarnishing that little worth of story he had, instead of giving him more. So yeah leave the poor guy alone and forget any appearance since Magneto Wars.

Astonishing Member Lucyinthesky's Avatar

I think Joseph always had potential in fact I would have no problem if he was brought back even when Magneto was alive, because they are very different people and despite their conflicts, like Jopseh literally being made to kill him, Magneto never considered him an actual enemy, more like a victim of circunstances. When Astra brought him back to life(Magneto Not a hero) and manipulated him by forcibly inserting in his mind Eirk worst memories to make him more agressive, Magneto fought them both and the politician who wanted to use Joseph for his anti-mutant campaign but while Magneto sent Astra to exile and killed the politician, he brought Joseph back to Utopia as a prisoner so he could be healed by Danger, he even told him he "wasn´t like this" (A villain). I loved that moment because he was like, her don´t mess with my little brother.

When Joseph died the first time, in Magneto war, he conffesed to Charles he agreed with his dream but thought all of them were human and didn´t need to see themselves different from the rest of humanity, he had his own pov, he just wasn´t as passionate about it like Erik and Charles. Seeing this pov being explored on Krakoa would be nice and his second death was so bad, with so little justification that I honestly don´t count it Joseph coming back is not a problem for me, what we need is a story for him.

Another concept I would like to see explored is young Magneto as Max Einsenhart before Anya´s death, interacting with the rest of the X-men or with himself. He wasn´t militant or as mentally damaged by his powers the way silver age Magneto was and had a lot of say about the way humanity treats itself given his recent memories of WWII but he still considers himself just human so him being brought to Krakoa would be a shock for him and bring interesting tension. It will be something similar like when Illyana confronted her young self.
    Last edited by Lucyinthesky; 10-22-2022 at 02:10 PM.
    "To the X-men then, who don´t die the old fashioned way and no matter how hard we try, none of us die forever" Uncanny X-Men #270, Jean and Ororo

Magneto: The master of magnetism Appreciation 2022
    Polaris: The Mistress of Magnetism Appreciation 2022
    House of M Appreciation 2022

Quote Originally Posted by Lucyinthesky View Post
    I think Joseph always had potential in fact I would have no problem if he was brought back even when Magneto was alive, because they are very different people and despite their conflicts, like Jopseh literally being made to kill him, Magneto never considered him an actual enemy, more like a victim of circunstances. When Astra brought him back to life(Magneto Not a hero) and manipulated him by forcibly inserting in his mind Eirk worst memories to make him more agressive, Magneto fought them both and the politician who wanted to use Joseph for his anti-mutant campaign but he brought Joseph back to Utopia as a prisoner so he could be healed by Danger, he even told him he "wasn´t like this" (A villain). I loved that moment because he was like, her don´t mess with my little brother.

When Joseph died the first time, in Magneto war, he conffesed to Charles he agreed with his dream but thought all of them were human and didn´t need to see themselves different from the rest of humanity, he had his own pov, he just wasn´t as passionate about it like Erik and Charles. Seeing this pov being explored on Krakoa would be nice and his second death was so bad, with so little justification that I honestly don´t count it Joseph coming back is not a problem for me, what we need is a story for him.

Another concept I would like to see explored is young Magneto as Max Einsenhart before Anya´s death, interacting with the rest of the X-men or with himself. He wasn´t militant or as mentally damaged by his powers the way silver age Magneto was and had a lot of say about the way humanity treats itself given his recent memories of WWII but he still considers himself just human so him being brought to Krakoa would be a shock for him and bring interesting tension. It will be something similar like when Illyana confronted her young self.
    All new all different Mags?

Quote Originally Posted by DarkMagnus View Post
    All new all different Mags?
    Something like that until the original Mags comes back it would be interesting to explore other kind of Magneto´s, like Old Man Logan was while Wolverine stayed dead. Just an idea or they could appear in a one-shot for Magneto to talk to while he makes his journey back to life.
    "To the X-men then, who don´t die the old fashioned way and no matter how hard we try, none of us die forever" Uncanny X-Men #270, Jean and Ororo

Quote Originally Posted by Grunty View Post
    Plus there is Polaris sitting in the corner waiting for her chance to finaly be written well and taken the mantle of master of magnetism.
    Unfortunately, current X-Men office is too obsessed with treating her like she's a garbage throwback character from the 90s to let her be the awesome character she's supposed to be.
    I can also be reached on BlueSky and Tumblr. Avatar by kahlart.

Ghosts of Genosha minicomic focused on Polaris, written by me and drawn by Fin_NoMore.

Polaris 50th anniversary minicomic written by me and drawn by Mlad!

Gallery of Polaris commissions (without NSFW or minicomics)

Why do Polaris fans have such a victim complex

Amazing Member

I believe Xavier and storm will have a conflict over bringing him back in a future event

Quote Originally Posted by H-E-D View Post
    Why do Polaris fans have such a victim complex
    Victim complex falsely implies there isn't a proven track record of mistreatment and lack of respect toward her.

Also it's a little weird to suggest an entire fandom can be mistaken about something they've plainly seen.
    I can also be reached on BlueSky and Tumblr. Avatar by kahlart.

Ghosts of Genosha minicomic focused on Polaris, written by me and drawn by Fin_NoMore.

Polaris 50th anniversary minicomic written by me and drawn by Mlad!

Gallery of Polaris commissions (without NSFW or minicomics)

Quote Originally Posted by Frobisher View Post
    Magical thinking doesn’t exist.
    “Strength is the lot of but a few privileged men; but austere perseverance, harsh and continuous, may be employed by the smallest of us and rarely fails of its purpose, for its silent power grows irresistibly greater with time.” Goethe

Something like that until the original Mags comes back it would be interesting to explore other kind of Magneto´s, like Old Man Logan was while Wolverine stayed dead. Just an idea or they could appear in a one-shot for Magneto to talk to while he makes his journey back to life.
    Young Mags

The same could have been said for all the X-men: during a long time, they considered themselves as humans. They didn’t feel responsible if they were seen as something else…

There was the appeal of X-men stories for me: as different they could appear from the outside, they were like everyone else in the ways that mattered, feelings, basic needs… You, reader, if you feel different, you are not, you are a part of this society. It doesn’t have this role anymore.
    “Strength is the lot of but a few privileged men; but austere perseverance, harsh and continuous, may be employed by the smallest of us and rarely fails of its purpose, for its silent power grows irresistibly greater with time.” Goethe

Quote Originally Posted by Zelena View Post
    The same could have been said for all the X-men: during a long time, they considered themselves as humans. They didn’t feel responsible if they were seen as something else…

There was the appeal of X-men stories for me: as different they could appear from the outside, they were like everyone else in the ways that mattered, feelings, basic needs… You, reader, if you feel different, you are not, you are a part of this society. It doesn’t have this role anymore.
    Well I didn´t mean him being just humans the way the X-men understand it I meant that he doesn´t know mutants exist so he doesn´t have an explanation to why he can control metal but he was already a freedom fighter before becoming Magneto, without powers, so I could see him bringing some interesting nuance to the debate over mutants vs humans considering his own experiences. He probably would have seen Xavier´s original dream too naive, not because he believes himself to be a mutant but because from his pov it would not work in extreme circunstances, not just for mutants but for humans as well which is the kind of interesting tension I would like to see, not for a lot of issues but one or two would be fine.

Also I think that while the X-men wanted to co-exist and made a lot of efforts towards that end, there was a certain level of separatism practiced even in the school, the "School for young talents" was very isolated from other kind of schools for people their age, I remember just the new mutants interacting sometimes with other humans schools, while Magneto was headmaster and most times it didn´t even was an actual school but a place in which the X-men trained to become X-men and it was part of the debate at the time. I remember Gambit talking with Bishop(Onslaught saga) about this, he told him they had it pretty good at the school so maybe they need to get out more and see how other mutants were doing, like the morlocks, etc.

So I get the criticism on Krakoa but I also think previous stories lead into the actual status quo, I just wish the debate was more nuanced and the stories reflected the complexity of the situation.

Quote Originally Posted by DarkMagnus View Post
    Young Mags
    Yes, Young Man Magneto
    Last edited by Lucyinthesky; 10-22-2022 at 02:09 PM.

Young man Magneo, otherwise known as Joe or Joey
    “Generally, one knows me before hating me” -Quicksilver

Astonishing Member

LOL tbh I've always thought Joseph's biggest enemy was his hair. The long-hair look did NOT work for him and in a medium that's as visually oriented as comics, and has as extensive a history with clone characters gaining sizable fanbases of their own....I've always wondered how much his look played into how little he caught on with people.