Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default My distaste for the 'Lucas' Star Wars

These opinions are for the original Lucas trilogy (Episodes 4 to 6) some of it is for Episodes 1 to 3

Ok, I will try to present my bitter disgust towards Lucas & his universe again. As , for lack of a better term, GOD & creationist of this universe, I guess he wanted to take elements from what he knew as a youth incorporate that into his newly planned universe so all would enjoy.
    Here is my chronic problem with it all.
    If he removed all the bubble-gum, comic, brain dead, kiddie characters and kept it on an ALL adult level, wouldnt you think it would be alot better?
    Kids, just by the subject matter, space wars, Jedi's,etc. would want to see it & become fans anyway.
    There are many franchises in books,TV or movies that have done this and kids still are fans of it.
    Im not saying he had to film it to an 'R' rated movie.....but he could have kept the same rating while eliminating the tasteless sugar.
    Last edited by Wolverine12; 10-26-2022 at 12:21 AM. Reason: Uncalled for

Extraordinary Member thwhtGuardian's Avatar

Is it possible to like them as is and not drink the Kool-aide?
    Looking for a friendly place to discuss comic books? Try The Classic Comics Forum!

Quote Originally Posted by thwhtGuardian View Post
    Is it possible to like them as is and not drink the Kool-aide?
    You can like them for sure as is.
    Nothing wrong with liking them.
    I guess my point was, 'if' Lucas chose not to make it so kid friendly, could it have been so much better in a more adult tone?
    Last edited by Peyton Westlake; 10-21-2022 at 07:37 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Peyton Westlake View Post
    You can lik ethem for sure as is.
    Nothing wrong with liking them.
    I guess my point was, 'if' Lucas chose not to make it so kid friendly, could it have been so much better in a more adul tone?
    Probably not, the whole thing is based on the sci-fi serials of the 30's and 40's which were pretty much their version of Saturday morning cartoons and with out that element it wouldn't be the same.
    Looking for a friendly place to discuss comic books? Try The Classic Comics Forum!

I could bitch all day about the Special Editions, but this seems dumb sorry, but it does.

Lucas created one of the most successful, beloved, and profitable franchises ever you don't get much better than that.

The recent Halloween Trilogy was R rated and made for "adults", yet it had stupid juvenile humor in places does that make it for kids? What is adult no humor, nudity, violence, swearing seriously what is adult?

I love both the X-Men and MCU with the X-Men being my favorite Marvel property, yet some XCU/Fox Films fans would like to say the MCU was juvenile while the XCU was "adult" because it dealt with themes of bigotry. Here's the news flash the X-Men are a simple concept for children meant to teach them judging people for being different is wrong. Because adults realize the inherent flaw of the X-Men which is while bigotry is wrong mutants are also dangerous and not a good allegory for minorities.

When I see these arguments, it always seems less of a reflection of the work being criticized and more of a reflection on someone ashamed they like a property deemed for "Children" which I have to say the issues are more theirs than the property.

These opinions are for the original Lucas trilogy (Episodes 4 to 6) some of it is for Episodes 1 to 3
    It's easy to be an armchair quarterback and say something would have been better "if only..." especially since what you picture in your head naturally appeals more to you. I don't know why it would bother you so much that it fills you with "bitter disgust" though. That's a pretty strong reaction to something that apparently isn't meant for you.

I was never a big fan of the original trilogy so it's not a big deal to me. I rather get more spinoffs like Andor, Fallen Order or the High Republic than do an adult remake.

Extraordinary Member

Ok, I will try to present my bitter disgust towards Lucas & his universe again,
    As , for lack of a better term, GOD & creationist of this universe, I guess he wanted to take elements from what he knew as a youth incorporate that into his newly planned universe so all would enjoy.
    If he removed all the bubble-gum, comic, brain dead, kiddie characters and kept it on an ALL adult level, wouldnt you think it would be alot better?
    Kids, just by the subject matter, space wars, Jedi's,etc. would want to see it & become fans anyway.
    There are many franchises in books,TV or movies that have done this and kids still are fans of it.
    Im not saying he had to film it to an 'R' rated movie.....but he could have kept the same rating while eliminating the tasteless sugar.
    I think the question becomes: "What are the SPECIFIC things you want to sieve out?" and you might genuinely have to go on a case-by-case basis within individual films or shows. Lucas's ideas about how to make Star Wars appeal to kids involved everything from Ewoks, Jar Jar, and Padawans going crystal hunting to zombies, 'Nam homages, child murder, and someone burning alive on screen - with just about every other creative decision falling somewhere eon that paradigm as well, with all of it intended to appeal to kids first.

Lucas is seriously a guy who thought "kids want to see teddy bears beat Space Nazis and they want to see Space Nazis skin burn, blacken and peel." And it's hard for other creators to apply their own POV of a similar holistic look to Star Wars consistency.

For instance, you ask Rian Johnson, and the "tasteless sugar" would be conventional heroism being treated seriously and taking the characters or plot seriously. You ask JJ Abrams, and the tasteless sugar is "lore as a concept." Both guys, though, did have areas where they did kiddy stuff in either inoffensive or actually really cool ways, like with Porgs or The Force Awakens overall.

We can't really tell where Lucas or anyone else's "kid stuff" ends and the "adult stuff" begin until its actually on screen.
    Like action, adventure, rogues, and outlaws? Like anti-heroes, femme fatales, mysteries and thrillers?

I wrote a book with them. Outlaw’s Shadow: A Sherwood Noir. Robin Hood’s evil counterpart, Guy of Gisbourne, is the main character. Feel free to give it a look: https://read.amazon.com/kp/embed?asi...E2PKBNJFH76GQP

Part of Lucas's inspiration for SW is actually Kurosawa films, which also sometimes featured comic relief. C-3PO and R2-D2 are very closely based on Tahei and Matashichi from Hidden Fortress for example, although they're more like 3PO times two...
    chrism227.wordpress.com Info and opinions on a variety of interests.

https://twitter.com/chrisprtsmouth

Quote Originally Posted by godisawesome View Post
    I think the question becomes: "What are the SPECIFIC things you want to sieve out?" and you might genuinely have to go on a case-by-case basis within individual films or shows. Lucas's ideas about how to make Star Wars appeal to kids involved everything from Ewoks, Jar Jar, and Padawans going crystal hunting to zombies, 'Nam homages, child murder, and someone burning alive on screen - with just about every other creative decision falling somewhere eon that paradigm as well, with all of it intended to appeal to kids first.

Lucas is seriously a guy who thought "kids want to see teddy bears beat Space Nazis and they want to see Space Nazis skin burn, blacken and peel." And it's hard for other creators to apply their own POV of a similar holistic look to Star Wars consistency.

For instance, you ask Rian Johnson, and the "tasteless sugar" would be conventional heroism being treated seriously and taking the characters or plot seriously. You ask JJ Abrams, and the tasteless sugar is "lore as a concept." Both guys, though, did have areas where they did kiddy stuff in either inoffensive or actually really cool ways, like with Porgs or The Force Awakens overall.

We can't really tell where Lucas or anyone else's "kid stuff" ends and the "adult stuff" begin until its actually on screen.
    Well one thing you mentioned I will put my 2 cents in.
    Again , is my opinion,

1 example is in ROTJ.
    Since you bring up the Ewoks, we can use that for now.
    I will start saying I know the reason he used them are because it gives the hope aspect, that anyone can rise up & defeat evil.
    I get it.
    But the fact that cute ,cuddly teddy bears , that use primitive spears & stones to defeat the Empire is unimaginable.
    The Stormtroopers are supposed to be the most feared & best fighting force in the galaxy.
    Highly trained, always prepared, & equipped with the best weapons manufactued.
    And a bunch of stuffed animals take them out like nothing?
    You can see , for me, how the absurdity of it turns me off.
    Last edited by Peyton Westlake; 10-21-2022 at 04:37 PM.

Well one thing you mentioned I will put my 2 cents in.
    Again , is my opinion, I dont need any Star Wars/Lucas acolytes jumping down my throat because I disagree with their precious world.
    So if you can stand some criticism & be open...here goes.
    Is anyone doing that?
    You're not exactly proving any real hot takes here and it's not like your criticisms are even that novel.

Fantastic Member

What specifically don't you like about Episodes 4 and 5?

I do agree with you that the stormtroopers are a joke.
    Last edited by evolutionaryFan; 10-22-2022 at 11:33 AM.

Extraordinary Member Zero Hunter's Avatar

Ok, I will try to present my bitter disgust towards Lucas & his universe again, knowing full well I will be attacked by brainwashed Lucas clones who drink often from his Kool-aid.
    I understand he tried to make Star Wars a universe all ages would like.
    As , for lack of a better term, GOD & creationist of this universe, I guess he wanted to take elements from what he knew as a youth incorporate that into his newly planned universe so all would enjoy.
    So your fresh on these boards and you decide to come in acting like and ******* insulting people? You your not going to last long before the ban hammer takes you out kid.

I don't quite understand the OP; they're objecting to the franchise being child-appropriate?
    Doctor Strange: "You are the right person to replace Logan."
    X-23: "I know there are people who disapprove... Guys on the Internet mainly."
    (All-New Wolverine #4)

Adult is such a dumb term.

All the Pixar movies have more mature storylines than most R rated gore/sex/curse fests. IMHO trying to be adult is a sure mark of immaturity.

Star Wars is fine as it is; all ages.

There's plenty of grimdark sci-fi and fantasy in the world if you want that.
    "Always listen to the crazy scientist with a weird van or armful of blueprints and diagrams." -- Vibranium