Page 48 of 62 FirstFirst ... 3844454647484950515258 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Android 17 View Post
    Sometimes I wonder this:

You're in love with your spouse/partner, had a life together, that person passes away. After some time, you move on and you get another spouse/partner and love them too.

In the afterlife, who the hell do you turn to when you're all together?!
    Can you fall in love with someone else in the afterlife?
    There came a time when the Old Gods died! The Brave died with the Cunning! The Noble perished locked in battle with unleashed Evil! It was the last day for them! An ancient era was passing in fiery holocaust!

I always thought that whatever heaven is or Hell for that matter is a personalized thing. For instance Joe Bob dies. What made him happiest in life was reading comics and spending time with his family. So in his heaven he has comic books and his family. So Joe Bob's brother dying and going to Hell would not effect Joe Bob because in his heaven his brother is there with him.

It is the same for Hell If a person goes to Hell they will life out whatever personal nightmare is theirs.
    This Post Contains No Artificial Intelligence. It Contains No Human Intelligence Either.

Quote Originally Posted by Catlady in training View Post
    I used to wonder that too, then I stopped believing in afterlife (not necessarily connected). I guess if there is an afterlife and a one where we meet others and everyone is still basically the same person they were in life, polyamory must be a thing. Sex probably isn't, since... no bodies, so that might make it easier. Who knows.

Similarly, back when I still believe in all of that christian stuff about heaven and hell, I also used to wonder: If someone ends up in heaven with most of their family/friends, but one of their loved ones ends up in hell, how are they going to be happy without them? Assuming it wasn't someone who ends up in hell for abusing them but for something unrelated, they might miss them. Do they see some copy, like an AI or hallucination or something in their place to be happy (that would be a lie, so a contradiction to the idea of heaven being a place of truth and love), is their memory removed (same problem), or are they somehow pressured into accepting it? How could someone accept that a person they love is in hell? Or will they learn that the whole story was a lie and everyone is in the same afterlife? I swear, religion creates so much unnecessary fear ...
    That's just the thing about religion, it does make you think about the most random things that we have no concrete evidence about.

Quote Originally Posted by Kirby101 View Post
    Can you fall in love with someone else in the afterlife?
    Only one way to find out unfortunately.

Quote Originally Posted by babyblob View Post
    I always thought that whatever heaven is or Hell for that matter is a personalized thing. For instance Joe Bob dies. What made him happiest in life was reading comics and spending time with his family. So in his heaven he has comic books and his family. So Joe Bob's brother dying and going to Hell would not effect Joe Bob because in his heaven his brother is there with him.

It is the same for Hell If a person goes to Hell they will life out whatever personal nightmare is theirs.
    LOL I just love that you named him Joe Bob. Never trust a person with two first names.

Old school comic book fan WestPhillyPunisher's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Catlady in training View Post
    I used to wonder that too, then I stopped believing in afterlife (not necessarily connected). I guess if there is an afterlife and a one where we meet others and everyone is still basically the same person they were in life, polyamory must be a thing. Sex probably isn't, since... no bodies, so that might make it easier. Who knows.

Similarly, back when I still believe in all of that christian stuff about heaven and hell, I also used to wonder: If someone ends up in heaven with most of their family/friends, but one of their loved ones ends up in hell, how are they going to be happy without them? Assuming it wasn't someone who ends up in hell for abusing them but for something unrelated, they might miss them. Do they see some copy, like an AI or hallucination or something in their place to be happy (that would be a lie, so a contradiction to the idea of heaven being a place of truth and love), is their memory removed (same problem), or are they somehow pressured into accepting it? How could someone accept that a person they love is in hell? Or will they learn that the whole story was a lie and everyone is in the same afterlife? I swear, religion creates so much unnecessary fear ...
    Well, when I die, I wanna be reincarnated as a tall, busty, magic using smokeshow in a fantasy world!
    Avatar: Here's to the late, great Steve Dillon. Best. Punisher. Artist. EVER!

Extraordinary Member From The Shadows's Avatar

I actually wondered too about the afterlife (If it exists) with someone having more than one love. Titanic, for example. Rose talks to her children about Jack. She fell in love with another man later and had children. But at the end of the movie it shows her going to Jack for a kiss. So does this mean she dumped her husband? How would her kids feel?

Quote Originally Posted by From The Shadows View Post
    I actually wondered too about the afterlife (If it exists) with someone having more than one love. Titanic, for example. Rose talks to her children about Jack. She fell in love with another man later and had children. But at the end of the movie it shows her going to Jack for a kiss. So does this mean she dumped her husband? How would her kids feel?
    Beyond Rose being a murderer. None of what she did makes sense. Including holding on to a diamond that had no significance for her and Jack. It was the Billy Zane's, and Jack didn't even know it was in the pocket. Do you think her kids could have used the money?
    There came a time when the Old Gods died! The Brave died with the Cunning! The Noble perished locked in battle with unleashed Evil! It was the last day for them! An ancient era was passing in fiery holocaust!

Boisterously Confused

I sort of like the idea that death is the end of us as self-contained individuals, and that the part of us that transcends death returns to a greater whole. So, we can rejoin those we love, no matter how numerous without individuality to impose a who-owns-who dynamic on it. A sort of mass harmony. I also hope it includes our dogs.

Quote Originally Posted by DrNewGod View Post
    I sort of like the idea that death is the end of us as self-contained individuals, and that the part of us that transcends death returns to a greater whole. So, we can rejoin those we love, no matter how numerous without individuality to impose a who-owns-who dynamic on it. A sort of mass harmony. I also hope it includes our dogs.
    ^^^This is pretty much how I see it/was gonna reply to Android 17.
    Glad I read through the rest of the thread, as you put it really well.

Boisterously Confused

Quote Originally Posted by Riv86672 View Post
    ^^^This is pretty much how I see it/was gonna reply to Android 17.
    Glad I read through the rest of the thread, as you put it really well.
    You honor me. I just hope I'm right

Old school comic book fan WestPhillyPunisher's Avatar

Gives me something to look forward to as I grow older.
    Avatar: Here's to the late, great Steve Dillon. Best. Punisher. Artist. EVER!

Is a tween the same as a preteen?
    What’s the cut off on these nitpicky age brackets?

And when does a kid stop being a kid and become one of those two?

Reminds me the novel “A Song for Lya” by George R. R. Martin…
    “Strength is the lot of but a few privileged men; but austere perseverance, harsh and continuous, may be employed by the smallest of us and rarely fails of its purpose, for its silent power grows irresistibly greater with time.” Goethe

Boisterously Confused

Quote Originally Posted by Zelena View Post
    Reminds me the novel “A Song for Lya” by George R. R. Martin…
    It's the foundation of a view of Asgardians I formulated after the first Thor movie. I imagine a set up where there are many, extremely long-lived Asgardians, but only a handful of Aesir. Thor, Odin, Tyr, etc. are not names, but titles, and Idunn's tree of golden apples is actually a mechanism for copying and storing the experiences of each Asgardian. The Odin sleep includes a process in which Odin experiences all these memories.

When an Aesir - like Balder, for example - dies, the Asgardian taking up the Balder mantle absorbs all of their predecessors' experiences, which reshapes their mentality a bit, but they still remain distinct, with two exceptions. When an Odin fails to awaken from the Odin sleep, the reining Thor takes up the title by entering the Odin sleep, where his persona is assimilated and supplanted by the Odin persona. There is no Loki persona or title; the name is a pejorative term for a trusted Aesir who has committed high treason, usually involving treacherous scheming.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Android 17 View Post
    Sometimes I wonder this:

You're in love with your spouse/partner, had a life together, that person passes away. After some time, you move on and you get another spouse/partner and love them too.

In the afterlife, who the hell do you turn to when you're all together?!
    I don't know whether you're religious, or if so which religion you believe in, so your mileage may vary. But this is the answer that Matthew 22:23-33 attributes to Jesus:

23The same day came to him the Sadducees, which say that there is no resurrection, and asked him, 24Saying, Master, Moses said, If a man die, having no children, his brother shall marry his wife, and raise up seed unto his brother. 25Now there were with us seven brethren: and the first, when he had married a wife, deceased, and, having no issue, left his wife unto his brother: 26Likewise the second also, and the third, unto the seventh. 27And last of all the woman died also. 28Therefore in the resurrection whose wife shall she be of the seven? for they all had her.

29Jesus answered and said unto them, Ye do err, not knowing the scriptures, nor the power of God. 30For in the resurrection they neither marry, nor are given in marriage, but are as the angels of God in heaven. 31But as touching the resurrection of the dead, have ye not read that which was spoken unto you by God, saying, 32I am the God of Abraham, and the God of Isaac, and the God of Jacob? God is not the God of the dead, but of the living. 33And when the multitude heard this, they were astonished at his doctrine.

In other words (I think!), Jesus is saying that in heaven all the resurrected souls are pure spirits without corporal form, so the whole concept of "family" is meaningless there. Maybe all the souls inhabit a non-material state that's sort of like "The Matrix" in Doctor Who.

Boisterously Confused

I take effort to tell those most important to me that I love them. Most of them are not family, and I fear that they don't understand.