Page 56 of 63 FirstFirst ... 646525354555657585960 ... LastLast
    DC/Collected Editions Mod The Darknight Detective's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by babyblob View Post
    I just turned 43 last week. A little up there but not too old. Normally I dont feel old. But today I feel like a damn senior citizen. Let me explain.

I do not drive. But my mental health office provides me with a case manager who takes me to docotrs appointment and the store. My case manager is 25 years old. She hooks up her iphone to her car and listens to her music. I know none of the artists she is playing never heard of them. I point this out and she says

"Oh I have an artist you may know. Its a really old song but you may like it. I love it even though its so old." What does she turn on? Found Out about you by Gin Blossoms. She was roght I love that song. But it was released in 1989. I would not call that a really old song. But I guess to a 25 year old it is. Sigh.
    So that's ten years before she was born. Ten years before I was born (1965) would have been early rock 'n' roll (which I love, FWIW). Now at age 25, I might have referred to Rock Around the Clock or Maybelline as an oldie, but I wouldn't have thought of them as really old. Something by Al Jolson or Bessie Smith? Different story.

Then to make matters worse she pulled this.

I lost 25 pounds. I am feeling pretty good about it. She says

"Yea I notice the difference. You look really good." She could have left it there and I would have been happy. A cute girl half my age calling me good looking. But she adds 5 words that killed it. "For a man your age."

UGH!
    It could have been much worse. She could have stayed silent about it because she didn't think you looked good regardless of age.
    A bat! That's it! It's an omen.. I'll shall become a bat!

Pre-CBR Reboot Join Date: 10-17-2010

Pre-CBR Reboot Posts: 4,362

THE CBR COMMUNITY STANDARDS & RULES ~ So... what's your excuse now?

Extraordinary Member From The Shadows's Avatar

I'm 48 and I don't have a car either and my aunts Home health care aid, who is in her 20's, drove us to visit my mom in a Nursing Home (she died last Thanksgiving) and I felt the same way when she was playing all this music I didn't recognize. Maybe it's because I don't listen to mainstream music anymore and it's not because I'm old but I still felt like it.

I just turned 43 last week. A little up there but not too old. Normally I dont feel old. But today I feel like a damn senior citizen. Let me explain.

I do not drive. But my mental health office provides me with a case manager who takes me to docotrs appointment and the store. My case manager is 25 years old. She hooks up her iphone to her car and listens to her music. I know none of the artists she is playing never heard of them. I point this out and she says

"Oh I have an artist you may know. Its a really old song but you may like it. I love it even though its so old." What does she turn on? Found Out about you by Gin Blossoms. She was roght I love that song. But it was released in 1989. I would not call that a really old song. But I guess to a 25 year old it is. Sigh.

"Yea I notice the difference. You look really good." She could have left it there and I would have been happy. A cute girl half my age calling me good looking. But she adds 5 words that killed it. "For a man your age."

UGH!
    Happy Birthday, Blob!
    If it's any consolation, I am 10 years younger than you and I'm usually lost when it comes to modern music. I prefer 80's, 90's and early 2000's music and was surprised that some of my favorite 2000's songs that I grew up with are already getting grouped with "oldies".

And don't get me started on technology. I still refuse to buy a smartphone, I want to use my phone for calls and texts only. Why should I destroy my already terrible eyesight even more than I already do by looking at a smaller screen, when I can wait a couple of hours at most and do what I need on normal computer screen?
    Slava Ukraini!
    Truth and love must prevail over lies and hatred

UGH!
    I get the music thing. I'm 63 and my son is 30 years younger than I am. I would constantly call his music "gangster punk rock hoodlum ****" regardless of what it was. He ended up stealing my original vinyl copy of Styx' Grand Illusion album. One of those torn between pride and anger feelings, you know.

And HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!
    I’ll don the mask and wear the cape
    If I am super, how can I wait?

Quote Originally Posted by Catlady in training View Post
    Happy Birthday, Blob!
    If it's any consolation, I am 10 years younger than you and I'm usually lost when it comes to modern music. I prefer 80's, 90's and early 2000's music and was surprised that some of my favorite 2000's songs that I grew up with are already getting grouped with "oldies".

And don't get me started on technology. I still refuse to buy a smartphone, I want to use my phone for calls and texts only. Why should I destroy my already terrible eyesight even more than I already do by looking at a smaller screen, when I can wait a couple of hours at most and do what I need on normal computer screen?
    Thank you for the birthday wishes I agree with you on your taste of music. I love those eras the most and am lost on the new stuff.

I broke down about a month ago and got my first smartphone. But I never use it to surf the net. Just for texts and phone calls and wonder why I even bothered.

Quote Originally Posted by CaptCleghorn View Post
    I get the music thing. I'm 63 and my son is 30 years younger than I am. I would constantly call his music "gangster punk rock hoodlum ****" regardless of what it was. He ended up stealing my original vinyl copy of Styx' Grand Illusion album. One of those torn between pride and anger feelings, you know.

And HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!
    Thank you for the Birthday Wishes

And I am with you on modern music. I have not head a song in the last 5 years I enjoyed. Maybe some T Swift but I dont think that makes me cool to the younger crowd.
    This Post Contains No Artificial Intelligence. It Contains No Human Intelligence Either.

Old school comic book fan WestPhillyPunisher's Avatar

Jeez! How did I miss this? Happy birthday, bb! May you gorge on cake and be hip deep in presents!

By the by, I do lots of stuff on my iPhone other than surfing the net: taking pictures, listening to music, occasionally playing games, keeping track of appointments, etc.
    Avatar: Here's to the late, great Steve Dillon. Best. Punisher. Artist. EVER!

Boisterously Confused

UGH!
    HBD BB! Welcome to the other side of the arc. The one where young women used to smile at us because we were hot, quit smiling at us because we weren't anymore, and resumed smiling because we're cute in a geriatric sort of way.

Mighty Member

Happy Birthday, Blob!

My apologies for not wishing you a happy birthday in my previous post, BB!

Quote Originally Posted by DrNewGod View Post
    HBD BB! Welcome to the other side of the arc. The one where young women used to smile at us because we were hot, quit smiling at us because we weren't anymore, and resumed smiling because we're cute in a geriatric sort of way.
    My 81-year-old father gets the latter. Attractive, unattached middle-aged women are my lot, which isn't bad at all come to think of it. The days of girls that resembled Raquel Welch (not hyperbole - it shocked me at the time) turning their heads my way, though, are long gone.

Happy Birthday BB, about time to be middleageblob.
    There came a time when the Old Gods died! The Brave died with the Cunning! The Noble perished locked in battle with unleashed Evil! It was the last day for them! An ancient era was passing in fiery holocaust!

Thanks to everyone for the birthday wishes. That is why I really love this place. You all are so kind and make me smile and laugh. Thanks to all my CBR friends for the well wishes and making me feel better
    This Post Contains No Artificial Intelligence. It Contains No Human Intelligence Either.

Extraordinary Member From The Shadows's Avatar

Oh, I forgot! Happy Birthday!

Old school comic book fan WestPhillyPunisher's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Kirby101 View Post
    Happy Birthday BB, about time to be middleageblob.
    HA! Why didn't I think of that!
    Avatar: Here's to the late, great Steve Dillon. Best. Punisher. Artist. EVER!

A bit macabre, but in line with getting older, I wonder how many of my elementary school teachers are still alive.