Page 11 of 62 FirstFirst ... 7891011121314152161 ... LastLast
    Old school comic book fan WestPhillyPunisher's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by babyblob View Post
    She hasnt announced yet but rumor is she will go and they will not replace her. The only reason she has been on so long is because Pat fought to keep her with him for so long. But the letters light themselves up she is not needed.
    Well, if Vanna were to follow Sajak out the door, I’d like it if we got someone new to turn the letters, even if in a symbolic role.
    Avatar: Here's to the late, great Steve Dillon. Best. Punisher. Artist. EVER!

Astonishing Member

She hasnt announced yet but rumor is she will go and they will not replace her. The only reason she has been on so long is because Pat fought to keep her with him for so long. But the letters light themselves up she is not needed.
    She's not needed to turn the letters, but she plays an important part in the show. Much of the air time is devoted just to showing the panel of letters. A static image like that is boring television. It is much more interesting to have an attractive model in a glamorous gown walking around and pointing at the panel of letters. "Eye candy" is an important part of game shows, and it helps hold the interest of many viewers who don't really care all that much about the game itself.

Boisterously Confused

Quote Originally Posted by seismic-2 View Post
    She's not needed to turn the letters, but she plays an important part in the show. Much of the air time is devoted just to showing the panel of letters. A static image like that is boring television. It is much more interesting to have an attractive model in a glamorous gown walking around and pointing at the panel of letters. "Eye candy" is an important part of game shows, and it helps hold the interest of many viewers who don't really care all that much about the game itself.
    Sad, but true.

Why are the abbreviations used in English language to indicate year before 0 BC and after 0 AD? BC means Before Christ so it's in English and AD means Anno Domini so it's in Latin. It doesn't make sense to use two different languages in one numbering system. Why not use either English or Latin equivalents for both?
    Slava Ukraini!
    Truth and love must prevail over lies and hatred

Quote Originally Posted by Catlady in training View Post
    Why are the abbreviations used in English language to indicate year before 0 BC and after 0 AD? BC means Before Christ so it's in English and AD means Anno Domini so it's in Latin. It doesn't make sense to use two different languages in one numbering system. Why not use either English or Latin equivalents for both?
    It makes no sense to me. Ac would have been more sense. Before Christ and After Christ
    This Post Contains No Artificial Intelligence. It Contains No Human Intelligence Either.

Ive never seen a dog die from eating dropped food. So what is the big whoop?
    This Post Contains No Artificial Intelligence. It Contains No Human Intelligence Either.

It makes no sense to me. Ac would have been more sense. Before Christ and After Christ
    But A.D. does not represent "After Christ".
    How would you label the years during Christ's time?

Old school comic book fan WestPhillyPunisher's Avatar

At this time of year, AC stands for Air Conditioning.
    Avatar: Here's to the late, great Steve Dillon. Best. Punisher. Artist. EVER!

Astonishing Member

Always thought AD stood for after death.

I don't mind a good click bait list. But I hate it when the image on the link is no where in the list, or it is just the same list I've seen a dozen times, and not the one they offered.
    There came a time when the Old Gods died! The Brave died with the Cunning! The Noble perished locked in battle with unleashed Evil! It was the last day for them! An ancient era was passing in fiery holocaust!

Quote Originally Posted by shooshoomanjoe View Post
    Always thought AD stood for after death.
    According to the Cambridge English Dictionary,
    abbreviation for Anno Domini: used in the Christian calendar when referring to a year after Jesus Christ was born
    So B.C. = before he was born, while A.D. is for after he was born.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Catlady in training View Post
    BC means Before Christ so it's in English and AD means Anno Domini so it's in Latin.
    An especially annoying result of this inconsistency is that the "B.C" has to follow the date (i.e., 275 B.C., meaning 275 years Before Christ), but the "A.D." has to precede the date (i.e., A.D. 1054, meaning In The Year of Our Lord 1054). A lot of people get that wrong and put the "A.D." after the date, because they don't think in terms of what it means in Latin. Of course, the whole B.C. / A.D. system is wrong anyway, because the year 1 B.C. was followed by the year A.D. 1 with no year 0 between them. That's not how integers work.

Quote Originally Posted by seismic-2 View Post
    An especially annoying result of this inconsistency is that the "B.C" has to follow the date (i.e., 275 B.C., meaning 275 years Before Christ), but the "A.D." has to precede the date (i.e., A.D. 1054, meaning In The Year of Our Lord 1054). A lot of people get that wrong and put the "A.D." after the date, because they don't think in terms of what it means in Latin. Of course, the whole B.C. / A.D. system is wrong anyway, because the year 1 B.C. was followed by the year A.D. 1 with no year 0 between them. That's not how integers work.
    And lets not even go into the annoyance this whole thing must cause for non-Christians . . .

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by MajorHoy View Post
    And lets not even go into the annoyance this whole thing must cause for non-Christians . . .
    That's why it is now becoming common practice to use "B.C.E." instead of "B.C." "B.C.E." stands for simply "Before the Common Era". Then instead of using "A.D." it is simply assumed that all dates are in fact post-B.C.E. unless it's explicitly stated that they aren't. This removes all reference to the birth of Christ (which modern historians reckon actually happened several years earlier than A.D. 1, anyway).

Boisterously Confused

Quote Originally Posted by Kirby101 View Post
    I don't mind a good click bait list. But I hate it when the image on the link is no where in the list, or it is just the same list I've seen a dozen times, and not the one they offered.
    Deeply annoying, that.