Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast
    Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    I think out of all of them Deathstroke was probably handled the best.

Azrael and the Court just didn't get enough room to breathe in my opinion.

Jason was basically just bare bones Under the Red Hood, which I get, but I don't think worked to the stories favor.
    I loved their take on Azrael and the Order of St. Dumas and I thought it was clever how they told the story without having to rely too much on comic lore. And I'll have to vastly disagree on that part. I absolutely loved this version of Jason Todd and his origin story. They managed to inset it into the timeline of the show practically seamlessly, too, imho.
    Keep in mind that you have about as much chance of changing my mind as I do of changing yours.

Quote Originally Posted by phonogram12 View Post
    I loved their take on Azrael and the Order of St. Dumas and I thought it was clever how they told the story without having to rely too much on comic lore. And I'll have to vastly disagree on that part. I absolutely loved this version of Jason Todd and his origin story. They managed to inset it into the timeline of the show practically seamlessly, too, imho.
    I think the way they introduced the concept of Azz, Jean-Paul, and the Order worked but they rushed through it too much to make it last one issue (this was back when they were trying to split the story into multiple chapters, but I just don't think it worked as well). Of course that was less problematic than some of the Freeze stuff...

I think they tried their best with Jason although some of the actual chronology of stuff and designs in the flashbacks didn't quite work as well and it was, at the end of the day, just another rendition of Under the Red Hood. And I think they lost some of the nuances of Jason's character in their take on it.

Also Dick really should have shown up in season 1 at some point but that's a personal thing.

Extraordinary Member

I think the way they introduced the concept of Azz, Jean-Paul, and the Order worked but they rushed through it too much to make it last one issue (this was back when they were trying to split the story into multiple chapters, but I just don't think it worked as well).
    Agree to disagree. Since this series is formatted in a way very similar to the original animated comics, many of the stories here can be seen as simpler and shorter than if they were in the mainline DCU, so I'm not necessarily sure they can be judged in such a way.

I think they tried their best with Jason although some of the actual chronology of stuff and designs in the flashbacks didn't quite work as well and it was, at the end of the day, just another rendition of Under the Red Hood. And I think they lost some of the nuances of Jason's character in their take on it.
    Honestly? I don't think Jason had any sort of nuance in the mainline DCU until Red Hood & the Outlaws, so this animated version was an improvement from anything that came before that.
    Keep in mind that you have about as much chance of changing my mind as I do of changing yours.

Agree to disagree. Since this series is formatted in a way very similar to the original animated comics, many of the stories here can be seen as simpler and shorter than if they were in the mainline DCU, so I'm not necessarily sure they can be judged in such a way.
    I get that, but I think in this instance it impacted the overall comic since there was a lot in there that felt undercooked because it had to fit into a single, standalone, issue.
    Honestly? I don't think Jason had any sort of nuance in the mainline DCU until Red Hood & the Outlaws, so this animated version was an improvement from anything that came before that.
    I think they doubled down too much on him being the "edgy and extreme" Robin compared to how it was handled in the comics even prior to RH&TO and he had more of a genuine argument and point in his mainline incarnation so the story worked better. But your mileage may vary.

Extraordinary Member

I get that, but I think in this instance it impacted the overall comic since there was a lot in there that felt undercooked because it had to fit into a single, standalone, issue.
    Like I said, the same can be said for most comics based on cartoons. Even this one, so I'm not sure that's an entirely valid criticism.

I think they doubled down too much on him being the "edgy and extreme" Robin compared to how it was handled in the comics even prior to RH&TO and he had more of a genuine argument and point in his mainline incarnation so the story worked better. But your mileage may vary.
    My problem with Jason prior to RH&TO was that he was never written consistently from writer to writer. One title he was a dick, in the next one he wasn't. RH&TO was the first book where his characterization was not only sympathetic, but also consistent.

Mighty Member

I really liked this issue. It's a (mostly) self-contained story that acts as a sequel to Season 2's "The Muscle", where the hitman/mob goon is put away at Stonegate, but because he's too much of a liability and the possibility of him turning in his employers for leniency, Gotham's underworld puts a hit on him. However, not everything as it seems. Although it's a (mostly) self-contained story, I felt it had the right amount of action and story, with some good twists and turns. Nothing felt too rushed or too slow.

Although the focus is more on The Muscle, I didn't feel like we knew a lot about him beyond his name, his face, and his religion. On one hand, it seems like a missed opportunity, especially since it didn't delve in his faith as much as it seemed it would be. And on the surface, it didn't seem to develop him much since he's still looking out for himself the entire time. On the other hand, I liked that it wasn't a full redemption either. He does grow in being open to work with Batman and saving his life, but even then his self-interest is intertwined a bit. It felt a bit more natural and realistic. spoilers:
    And considering how the issue ends, I have a feeling we'll see more of him in the future.
    end of spoilers I also liked the mob bosses, particularly Black Mask (who actually seems like the most reasonable one of the bunch, for a change), and Esther Valestra, who has a nice connection to Batman: Mask of the Phantasm. She was amusingly bloodthirsty. And of course, we get a funny "it's da bat" line from the goons in the Arkham games, two of them pinned by Paul Dini himself.

Jordan Gibson also does another phenomenal job with this issue. He masterfully combines the sleek TNBA designs with the atmosphere and mood of B:TAS. It's fitting that he was brought in to work on the sequel to Muscle's debut, but it's also a shame that this is the last of him in the book. His work will be missed.

As far as problems go: spoilers:
    As unexpected and cool as it was to see Lock-Up as the true chief antagonist, his motivation is pretty murky. He remarks that he enjoys killing scumbags like Muscle, but then he's working as a mob enforcer himself. Batman pointing out the hypocrisy doesn't make that better. He could've thrown a line about earning money that he needed while doing something he liked, but they never get there. And, this is more of a personal quibble than a genuine complaint, but I'm kind of that annoyed that apparently Task Force X and Amanda Waller might take a bigger role this season. The team has been all over the place, so unless they do something interesting with them, I'm not super excited for it.
    end of spoilers

Still, a strong first issue. I hope the rest of the season maintains the quality.
    Last edited by GamerSlyRatchet; 01-10-2023 at 07:06 PM.
    My blog. Latest entry: November 5th, 2022

My problem with Jason prior to RH&TO was that he was never written consistently from writer to writer. One title he was a dick, in the next one he wasn't. RH&TO was the first book where his characterization was not only sympathetic, but also consistent.
    You're not wrong about his major character inconsistencies. And writers like Morrison certainly did not help. That said;

My main issue, is that Tim in the series, is Jason in all but name already.

Like I said, the same can be said for most comics based on cartoons. Even this one, so I'm not sure that's an entirely valid criticism.
    Batman Adventures had some amazing one-and-dones!
    I was mostly thinking of when Winnick wrote him.

Extraordinary Member

I was mostly thinking of when Winnick wrote him.
    Honestly? Not really a fan of most of Winnick's superhero stuff. Lobdell may have had his issues (and not only as a writer), but he is literally the first writer to convince me that bringing him back from the dead wasn't a terrible idea.

Honestly? Not really a fan of most of Winnick's superhero stuff. Lobdell may have had his issues (and not only as a writer), but he is literally the first writer to convince me that bringing him back from the dead wasn't a terrible idea.
    Well, I really enjoyed Under the Red Hood .

I'm at least a C-Lister! exile001's Avatar

I read season one but was kinda 'meh' on it. I will say the art here is a MASSIVE step up.
    "Has Sariel summoned you here, Azrael? Have you come to witness the miracle of your brethren arriving on Earth?"

"I WILL MIX THE ASHES OF YOUR BONES WITH SALT AND USE THEM TO ENSURE THE EARTH THE TEMPLARS TILLED NEVER BEARS FRUIT AGAIN!"

"*sigh* I hoped it was for the miracle."

Dan Watters' Azrael was incredible, a constant delight and perhaps too good for this world (but not the Forth). For the love of St. Dumas, DC, give us more!!!

Extraordinary Member

Batman: The Adventures Continue Season Three #2 Preview
    Writers: Alen Burnett & Paul Dini
    Artist: Kevin Altieri

Quote Originally Posted by Hypo View Post
    Batman: The Adventures Continue Season Three #2 Preview
    Writers: Alen Burnett & Paul Dini
    Artist: Kevin Altieri

I love how March Harriet has gone through three different costumes in the three seasons of this comic. Now she's straight up wearing a leotard.

It's funny how they keep trying to depict Harley in this comic as over Joker knowing how that doesn't stick in the most dramatic way possible. It's like they're contractually obligated to double down on Harley not being with The Joker.

"I wish you hadn't been" - I honestly thought they'd done it up until she said that.

Mighty Member

So, I think this issue is a bit of a step-down from the strong premiere, much like how the Huntress story was a weak follow-up to the Court of Owls two-parter back in Season 2. I did like this story better than that, though.

My biggest drawback is definitely the art. It's a downgrade from the previous issue's efforts. It looks rough, overly cartoony, and not too in-model to the TNBA-ish look that's been established. I do feel bad since Kevin Altieri is a B:TAS vet, but it just wasn't for me. I do think the stronger shading and "gloss" from the pages make it better than Rick Burchett's. And there are some fun expressions.

The story itself is okay. It tries to evoke the Harley-led episodes of B:TAS like "Harley's Holiday" and "Harlequinade", but the humor wasn't as strong. Those annoying HBO Max references strike again. I think the most amusing part was Batman trying not to react anytime a joke at Bruce's expense was made and Gordon essentially dumping Harley on Batman. Two-Face has some of the best facial expressions. Too bad I wasn't a fan of how he was used in the story. It felt like it undermined his character as established in B:TAS. I also rolled my eyes at the Alfred claiming that Cassie could've been Bruce's true love before Andrea. It felt like it was trying too hard to cram her in established backstory.

I did like how Harley was used in this issue. Although she teams up with Batman, she's not really heroic. She kills people and acts badly at times. Even the reason she and Ivy "took a break" felt like something from Dini's older work with the duo, back when their relationship had some edge. The story is predictable, spoilers:
    the cover literally gives away the final panel of the issue
    end of spoilers, but it can still be fun to see things unfold. So, really, I do have my issues, but it was a harmless story overall. I'm looking forward to the Straightman arc a bit more.
    My blog. Latest entry: November 5th, 2022

Extraordinary Member thwhtGuardian's Avatar

The art here killed it for me.

If this were just another Batman book it wouldn't be an issue as it was okay in and of itself, but this book is supposed to be a continuation of the show so if the art doesn't match that look then it fails to live up to that very basic premise.
    Looking for a friendly place to discuss comic books? Try The Classic Comics Forum!