Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

I actually thought this was a pretty fun issue. The art didn't really bother me because it was so expressive and stylistic, kind of like a more cartoony version of some 80's Batman art.

This felt like it mixed together the plots of Harley's B:TAS episodes (Harley antics and teaming-up with Batman) with that Brave and the Bold segment where Batman and Green Arrow first met (wealthy heiress fakes her kidnapping to steal her own trust fund).

It was nice to see them depict Harley and Ivy on a "break" rather than double-down on them being the ultimate ride or die romance like they sometimes do.

Comparing Cassie to a lost love of Bruce on par with frikkin' Andrea Beaumont was a bit much, although I wonder if that was the point because over the course of the issue they completely destroyed Bruce's image of her and their relationship.

Did Two-Face really deserve to get hit like that? Especially since they were implying Batman would've hit him if Harley hadn't. Like, okay, the way he talked about fooling around with Cassie was a little sleazy (I guess Grace really mellowed him out) but he wasn't doing anything to warrant getting hit in the face.

This isn't the first time Batman has slapped the Bat-Cuffs on a beautiful blonde love interest to close a story out but this is probably the first time he didn't feel bad about it.

Extraordinary Member thwhtGuardian's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    I actually thought this was a pretty fun issue. The art didn't really bother me because it was so expressive and stylistic, kind of like a more cartoony version of some 80's Batman art.

This felt like it mixed together the plots of Harley's B:TAS episodes (Harley antics and teaming-up with Batman) with that Brave and the Bold segment where Batman and Green Arrow first met (wealthy heiress fakes her kidnapping to steal her own trust fund).

It was nice to see them depict Harley and Ivy on a "break" rather than double-down on them being the ultimate ride or die romance like they sometimes do.

Comparing Cassie to a lost love of Bruce on par with frikkin' Andrea Beaumont was a bit much, although I wonder if that was the point because over the course of the issue they completely destroyed Bruce's image of her and their relationship.

Did Two-Face really deserve to get hit like that? Especially since they were implying Batman would've hit him if Harley hadn't. Like, okay, the way he talked about fooling around with Cassie was a little sleazy (I guess Grace really mellowed him out) but he wasn't doing anything to warrant getting hit in the face.

This isn't the first time Batman has slapped the Bat-Cuffs on a beautiful blonde love interest to close a story out but this is probably the first time he didn't feel bad about it.
    The story was indeed fun, and if this were any other Batman comic I wouldn't have minded the art at all, it was clearand told the story well...but it's a comic continuing Batman the Animated Series so it should look like it was an episode of the cartoon.
    Looking for a friendly place to discuss comic books? Try The Classic Comics Forum!

Quote Originally Posted by thwhtGuardian View Post
    The story was indeed fun, and if this were any other Batman comic I wouldn't have minded the art at all, it was clearand told the story well...but it's a comic continuing Batman the Animated Series so it should look like it was an episode of the cartoon.
    That's totally fair. I think Ty Templeton is coming back for the next few issues so that's good .

Mighty Member

I honestly liked this one a bit.

While they honestly have to make sure that they double down that Harley is not with the Joker (despite us all knowing in THIS universe, the only thing that stops her from being with him permanently is his death), I'm definitely glad that the reasoning behind the split with Ivy reads true to how they were in BTAS/TNBA, with Harley being a bit of a screw up.

I like to think that Cassie is basically Bruce's first serious relationship in college, so he seemed to think highly of her as his first girlfriend. Though it has to be something to hear that about 20-30 years ago, your girlfriend was cheating on you, with your best friend at that, and you were on friendly terms with both of them for decades.

Extraordinary Member

The story in this latest issue was absolutely solid, but Kevin's art always translates strangely into comics. Strangely enough, I feel his art style fit much better when he did this Gen13 one-shot back in the '90s.
    Keep in mind that you have about as much chance of changing my mind as I do of changing yours.

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by Mistah K88 View Post
    While they honestly have to make sure that they double down that Harley is not with the Joker (despite us all knowing in THIS universe, the only thing that stops her from being with him permanently is his death), I'm definitely glad that the reasoning behind the split with Ivy reads true to how they were in BTAS/TNBA, with Harley being a bit of a screw up.
    I honestly stopped considering this series as strict canon to the DCAU by this point. Too many inconsistencies. So, if she claims to be over him, sure. But yeah, Ivy leaving Gotham due to Harley's shenanigans felt classic. I missed it when their relationship had a bit of comedic tension.

I like to think that Cassie is basically Bruce's first serious relationship in college, so he seemed to think highly of her as his first girlfriend. Though it has to be something to hear that about 20-30 years ago, your girlfriend was cheating on you, with your best friend at that, and you were on friendly terms with both of them for decades.
    Alfred going out of his way to say she could've been Bruce's reason for leaving Batman if he hadn't met Andrea felt a bit too much to me. You could remove that and I would still buy Bruce feeling betrayed.
    My blog. Latest entry: November 5th, 2022

Quote Originally Posted by GamerSlyRatchet View Post
    I honestly stopped considering this series as strict canon to the DCAU by this point. Too many inconsistencies. So, if she claims to be over him, sure. But yeah, Ivy leaving Gotham due to Harley's shenanigans felt classic. I missed it when their relationship had a bit of comedic tension.
    I'm pretending the Nora Fries stuff never happened.
    Alfred going out of his way to say she could've been Bruce's reason for leaving Batman if he hadn't met Andrea felt a bit too much to me. You could remove that and I would still buy Bruce feeling betrayed.
    Honestly I feel like that was just setup for how awful she ended up really being, almost like the writers were in on the joke .

Amazing Member

https://www.reddit.com/r/DCAU/commen...lm_btas_style/ - mixed the best of animated & cinematic aesthetics together, enjoy!

Extraordinary Member

Batman: The Adventures Continue Season Three #3 Preview
    Writers: Paul Dini and Alan Burnett
    Artist: Ty Templeton

Poor guy survived war only to get experimented on by the government. He seemed like a pretty good dude too.

Extraordinary Member thwhtGuardian's Avatar

I'm enjoying the exploration of Straightman's origins here and the inclusion of Hugo Strange is fun but the addition of his former CO makes me wonder if she might become Batwoman. I mean, I know we got that in Mystery of the Batwoman (which strangely predates Ruka's take) but could there be room for another?
    Last edited by thwhtGuardian; 03-14-2023 at 01:33 PM.
    Looking for a friendly place to discuss comic books? Try The Classic Comics Forum!

Quote Originally Posted by thwhtGuardian View Post
    I'm enjoying the exploration of Straightman's origins here and the inclusion of Hugo Strange is fun but the addition of his former CO makes me wonder if she might become Batwoman. I mean, I know we got that in Mystery of the Batwoman (which strangely predates Ruka's take) but could there be room for another?
    Nothing more B:TAS than taking a supporting or memorable side character and expanding on their tragic backstory! Complete with the redemption of DCAU hugo Strange and some Monster Men thrown in for good measure!

Also the Suicide Squad, with Katana and King Shark 'cuz movies. I liked their take on Katana's classic look, feels like something we probably would've seen in the DCAU. I guess this takes place before the end of JLU season 2 since Waller is still running the Squad like normal.

I also liked seeing Babs do some computer work.

The CO's design looked a lot like Emiko/Red Arrow.

Mighty Member

Ever since Batman mentioned Straightman's story back in the Red Hood story arc during season 1, I always thought it was fairly interesting for one of Joker's goons. So, it was a pleasant surprise that it's getting expanded upon. I didn't think it would be worth doing a three-parter on it, but they introduced enough plot threads to keep the next two issues fresh. I'm especially excited that Hugo Strange has a role in Straightman's origin, since I always thought he was one of the rare misses when it came to villain portrayals in Batman: The Animated Series. Joker of course has a big role, but the comic has avoided overusing him, so it's not as annoying and it balances things out between him, Straightman, and Task Force X.

I'm admittedly not that thrilled about the Suicide Squad's involvement, but I suppose it helps raise the stakes enough to justify a larger story. The line-up is pretty cliche and movie-influenced. Katana at least makes her DCAU debut. The Muscle is fine since it builds off from his appearance a couple of issues ago. In fact, there's a lot of callbacks to this series' continuity, from Joker actually being in Arkham still from the end of the Mayor Mayhem story to the mention of the Ventriloquist's reform, and even King Shark, Captain Boomerang, and Deadshot already being Harley Quinn's work friends from her Christmas party. Though I wonder if Harley is truly in parole, considering the events of the previous issue.

I thought Batman complaining that Tim's at a debate club meeting was cute, especially since he usually admonishes him for skipping school work to fight crime. I also liked Barbara performing her Oracle role, even if she isn't using that codename. Surprise, surprise, Dick is nowhere to be seen.

It's cool to see Ty Templeton back in the game and recovering from his therapy. I do like the consistency of his designs and overall art work, even if the characters can sometimes look too blocky and simple. I do like the freaky visuals of Straightman waking up from his flashback right after meeting Hugo Strange.

Extraordinary Member

Batman: The Adventures Continue Season Three #4 Preview
    Writers: Paul Dini and Alan Burnett
    Artist: Ty Templeton

Mighty Member

Harley getting arrested at the end of the second issue could've led to a cleaner inclusion to Task Force X, but then she wouldn't be finally getting her girls' night out. Or really, all the callbacks to that issue and the previous two issues.

Kind of surreal to see Waller's dry wit against Harley's quips.