Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by GamerSlyRatchet View Post
    Harley getting arrested at the end of the second issue could've led to a cleaner inclusion to Task Force X, but then she wouldn't be finally getting her girls' night out. Or really, all the callbacks to that issue and the previous two issues.

Kind of surreal to see Waller's dry wit against Harley's quips.
    Do you mean if she had been arrested at the end of that issue?

Mighty Member

So how canon is this to Batman Beyond? They are treating Harley like a good guy but............

Quote Originally Posted by NOCTPHOENIX View Post
    So how canon is this to Batman Beyond? They are treating Harley like a good guy but............
    Guess my understanding was that it was a non-canon "what if...?" that assumed that none of the other DCAU series happened and it was just the Batman stuff.
    Doctor Strange: "You are the right person to replace Logan."
    X-23: "I know there are people who disapprove... Guys on the Internet mainly."
    (All-New Wolverine #4)

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    Do you mean if she had been arrested at the end of that issue?
    Yeah, which could've led into this plot, just like the previous big story arcs were led in by a stand-alone story. Though again, I think what we got was fun.

Quote Originally Posted by NOCTPHOENIX View Post
    It was made with the conceit that they just kept making more TNBA episodes instead of being cancelled for Batman Beyond. Though that doesn't track with some inclusions like Jason Todd as Red Hood or the Court of Owls.
    My blog. Latest entry: November 5th, 2022

Mighty Member

This ended up being a fine issue. It mostly focuses on resolving the mystery of the hooded assailant who's been stalking Straightman and attacked Batman in the previous issue, as well as setting up the final battle between the Bat-Family, Joker, Straightman, Task Force X, and the military. Considering how the opening sequence with Harley at the bar didn't really have any follow up at all beyond the continuity references, it made me realize there's too many factions and the Squad can definitely be trimmed to remove some bloat.

Speaking of beyond references, the stalker ended up using a prototype to the Bat-Suit in Batman Beyond. It's a neat reference and I guess she really was more of a Batwoman than we thought. The reveal that she was Hugo Strange's assistant was a neat surprise, especially since she's been in the background, but present throughout the story arc. Another thing I also liked about the reveal is that it slightly retcons Joker's hijacking of the super soldier procedure. I know he's smart, but a neuro-surgeon? The flashback presented here makes more sense. Also, I highly doubt the super-soldiers are actually dead. Maybe they'll resurface next issue as the DCAU version of Hugo Strange's Monster Men?

My other complaint with this story is that there's not a lot of focus on Batman and Straightman. The former is understandable since he's more of a reactive character, but the latter is disappointing since the story revolves around him so much. I also wish his character design was more expressive, especially considering he's going through a severe mental breakdown.

I wish they had come up with a better way of roping in Harley than turning Ivy into a damsel in distress. I mean, Ivy!? It just feels like character favoritism for Harley to get her involved in the story more (which, I get it, Dini can't resist, but still). I did kind of like how Harley broke character for a bit there with Waller though.

Getting to see the prototype for the Beyond suit was pretty cool. I think that's the first time we've seen it outside a nod in Scott Snyder's Batman run.

I like the twist of who the Stalker really was, it was a classic B:TAS twist with a little bit of romance drama peppered into it. I'm guessing Batman won't be pressing charges for her stealing the suit by the end of this, assuming maybe she and Straightman are able to get their happy ending.

Mighty Member

I wish they had come up with a better way of roping in Harley than turning Ivy into a damsel in distress. I mean, Ivy!? It just feels like character favoritism for Harley to get her involved in the story more (which, I get it, Dini can't resist, but still). I did kind of like how Harley broke character for a bit there with Waller though.
    Ever since they had Harley interfering in Jason Todd's death (despite having no qualms over what eventually happens to Tim Drake), I feared they'd play favorites with her again, especially since Ivy's barely been a character in this series. Also, it's kind of contrived that they had them make-up off-screen just so they could do this. Wouldn't Waller threatening Harley's friends be enough for her to go along?

I didn't notice Harley's accent going away for a bit, though. That was cool.

Extraordinary Member

Batman: The Adventures Continue Season Three #5 Preview
    Writers: Paul Dini and Alan Burnett
    Artist: Ty Templeton

Harley sporting a new Suicide Squad suit like her TSS costume.

It's still weird when they try to push Joker vs Harley like the current comics when Return of the Joker still happens. I guess they're not thinking that hard about it.

Some nice intrigue with Straightman.

I wonder if Batgirl will actually show up?

Mighty Member

So, this issue probably had the best conclusion out of the three-part arcs we've been getting so far. It's not without its problems, but I had fun with it.

It was pretty cool that Straightman was the one who broke out of Joker's control to defeat him by the end. It felt rewarding that a character passed around as a dummy got to have the last laugh at him. I'm glad he's free, but unfortunately he seems to be planning revenge against Joker, which might bring him back into conflict against Batman. He also had some chilling scenes when he's casually roasting rats for food and telling jokes, and then at the hospital at the end. I almost didn't notice Joker in the clouds. Kudos to Ty Templeton and Monica Kubina.

I was also impressed with the other villains. Joker was pretty fun here and I appreciated that he went full-on general for the issue. It felt like classic B:TAS Joker. I also liked Strange's obsession with psychoanalyzing everyone. I was surprised Amanda Waller pinned everything on him. Even though he deserves it, I thought it would lead to him joining Cadmus like in JLU. I was also impressed that Waller didn't blow up the Suicide Squad's brains when Joker took hold of them. I think a modern Waller would be that wasteful and blood-thirsty.

My biggest issue with this entire arc is the Squad. They didn't feel that critical to the story beyond being obstacles and that's it. I rolled my eyes at Joker just taking them over so easily. Harley also felt only slightly more useful in giving intel to Batman and Waller and then taking out Katana. King Shark could've conveyed that info to them and Robin or Batgirl could've gotten Katana. Or really, the Squad could've been removed without compromising most of the interesting parts of this story. The final montage also felt really rushed.

I was surprised we saw the proto-Beyond suit in full, but it looked cool, especially when displayed next to the other suits. Is this the first time they've displayed the classic purple-gloves suit in this series?

Extraordinary Member

This is one of the only arcs of this book that I kinda found dull. I just had no real interest in Straight Man in the least. I honestly much preferred the new twists the creative team were giving to already established DC characters like Azrael, Deathstroke, and Jason Todd. I love their animated take on characters they never got a chance to tackle on TAS or JL.
    Keep in mind that you have about as much chance of changing my mind as I do of changing yours.

Quote Originally Posted by phonogram12 View Post
    This is one of the only arcs of this book that I kinda found dull. I just had no real interest in Straight Man in the least. I honestly much preferred the new twists the creative team were giving to already established DC characters like Azrael, Deathstroke, and Jason Todd. I love their animated take on characters they never got a chance to tackle on TAS or JL.
    Felt like there was more of a story here with Straightman than we got with, say, Azrael and it fit better in the B:TAS world compared to how they adapted Jason in my opinion.

I do think they handled Deathstroke pretty well.

Extraordinary Member

Felt like there was more of a story here with Straightman than we got with, say, Azrael and it fit better in the B:TAS world compared to how they adapted Jason in my opinion.

I do think they handled Deathstroke pretty well.
    Yeah, I just wasn't engaged in the least with Straight Man (I loved the new twists they gave with Azrael and Jason). I generally don't mind new characters, but the fact that they didn't bother to make him the least bit visually interesting in the least certainly didn't help, either.

It kinda bummed me out that they devoted three issues to this, but maybe the next arc will be better.
    Last edited by phonogram12; 05-19-2023 at 08:55 AM.
    Keep in mind that you have about as much chance of changing my mind as I do of changing yours.

Quote Originally Posted by phonogram12 View Post
    Yeah, I just wasn't engaged in the least with Straight Man (I loved the new twists they gave with Azrael and Jason). I generally don't mind new characters, but the fact that they didn't bother to make him the least bit visually interesting in the least certainly didn't help, either.

It kinda bummed me out that they devoted three issues to this, but maybe the next arc will be better.
    I thought he was kind of cute. Reminded me of Tintin .

Extraordinary Member

I thought he was kind of cute. Reminded me of Tintin .
    It was a decent look for a kid for the time. But these days, Straight Man just kinda reminds me of this line from the Harley Quinn show Poison Ivy used to describe somebody:

"Oh, look! An unremarkable white guy!" LOL