Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678
    Mighty Member

This was probably the best ending they've given to their three-parters, but it's not without its issues. It's somewhat rushed, of course, but there's something else that bugged me too, which I'll get to later.

spoilers:
    The reveal that Ra's al Ghul is the mastermind that's controlling the Court of Owls' Talons isn't too surprising (though I was sure he was the head Talon). It's not the first time these factions have been linked and they even acknowledged the similarities between Hamilton Hill's new lease on life and the Lazarus Pit. The role of the Gaia Grain felt like classic Ra's and I appreciated that Poison Ivy made the connection. Ra's has a gory send-off that seems like it could lead to his body swap with Talia. Or not. But Gotham's villains would certainly consider this event a Near Apocalypse.

Speaking of, using the imprisoned villains like that was a neat way to make the issue more of a send-off to the series as a whole. While some are just static cameos (Kite Man, Calendar Girl, Clock King, Straightman, Roxy Rocket), most of the villains that have been featured in the comic get some dialogue and fight scenes. The highlights for me where Penguin and Esther Valestra, Killer Croc and Clayface, and Scarecrow. It made me wish the last villain had a more prominent story. Langstrom also helped by turning into Man-Bat, but he otherwise was pretty useless. It's not like they were setting up a more heroic Man-Bat or anything, so that whole part left me confused.

One aspect I enjoyed in this arc was Catwoman and Talia's interactions. Again, the comic explores something new to the DCAU and I liked that even while they're bickering, it's not over Batman. Robin has some amusing bits making fun of them, and even he gets humbled by the end.

My biggest issue is the final note the comic ends on, where Robin points out Ra's tried to persuade Batman by using his lack of family against them. Batman rightfully points out he has a family and he didn't want to ruin his relationship with them. Yet, we only saw Barbara briefly in this arc and Dick has been absent this entire season. I feel this story warranted a full Bat-Family team-up more than season two's Mayor Mayhem arc. Their absence undermines the ending's sentiment, which is a huge shame.
    end of spoilers

Overall, I felt season three was the strongest of the comic's seasons. While I was glad to revisit B:TAS with some of the talent behind it (and its tie-in comic), and there were some fun stories, art, and dialogue, I'm surprised that this series doesn't rank that high in my list of recent tie-in and continuation comics. It makes sense that it ended since the toy it was tying into has long been cancelled, but I wouldn't be surprised if DC changed its mind later. Alan Burnett teased that he and Paul Dini are working on something. Maybe it's a different project, maybe it's that Jason Todd/Deathstroke story they wanted to do. I guess we'll see.

Quote Originally Posted by Aahz View Post
    spoilers:
    Not sure if are going to do another season, but if not I feel like they should have revisited the red Hood Story line.
    end of spoilers
    Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    spoilers:
    Oh yeah, they completely forgot about the Deathstroke/Red Hood thing.
    end of spoilers
    spoilers:
    Dini or Burnett mentioned in the past they wanted to save that story fr either a one-shot issue or a graphic novel. Nothing's been confirmed, but I wouldn't be surprised if this was happening.
    end of spoilers
    My blog. Latest entry: November 5th, 2022

Extraordinary Member

The Batman and Robin Adventures Omnibus Hardcover – July 9, 2024
    by Paul Dini, Ty Templeton, Hilary J. Bader, Rick Burchett, 904 pages

The Caped Crusader and Boy Wonder return for another rousing round of adventures in this companion volume to The Batman Adventures Omnibus! Collects The Batman & Robin Adventures #1-25, The Batman & Robin AdventuresAnnual #1-2, The Batman Adventures: The Lost Years #1-5, and The Batman &Robin Adventures: Sub-Zero #1, and more!

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Hypo View Post
    So glad this has been announced!

Hopefully we can then get omnis of Gotham Adventures & Batman Adventures (vol 2)

Quote Originally Posted by Hypo View Post
    I already have it in trade form, so the only thing I'd be missing is Lost Years.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    I already have it in trade form, so the only thing I'd be missing is Lost Years.
    The Batman & Mr Freeze: Sub-Zero comic adaption also wasn't in the TPB's either just FYI

Plus whatever they are referring to when they say "and more!"

Quote Originally Posted by JAG2045 View Post
    The Batman & Mr Freeze: Sub-Zero comic adaption also wasn't in the TPB's either just FYI

Plus whatever they are referring to when they say "and more!"
    True, but I value Lost Years more .

I assume a Gotham Adventures Omni is next (or they'll do a compendium).