Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Did You Have a Marvel Subscription as a Kid and what Books?

So, it's simple. Did you have a marvel subscription as a kid and if you did what books did you have?

Most of my books were raceway gas station spinner rack or collectors den back issues but sometime later as a christmas gift from my aunt and uncle got avengers spotlight/ solo avengers and amazing spider-man. Lead to getting west coast avengers and marvel age.

Pretty great memories of waiting for that months issue!

[IMG][/IMG]
    [IMG][/IMG]
    [IMG][/IMG]

Absolutely.

I was so compulsive, I didn't open some of them(so they "were never touched by human hands"). In the pre-Internet days, that meant going to the LCS and reading them(and then buying some others to compensate the owner for their time/library). They are still sitting in a box, unopened.

My go-to subscriptions were Avengers and Uncanny X-men. As a treat, I got Hulk and FF for a year or two.

Yep! And i guess you can even tell when that was

I pulled:

Ultimate X-men
    Ultimate Spider-man
    ASM
    Avengers

Huh, looking at those old ads the sweet spot seems to be 30 to 35 titles. Would be interesting to see the Superhero line cut down to around that number.
    "The Marvel EIC Chair has a certain curse that goes along with it: it tends to drive people insane, and ultimately, out of the business altogether. It is the notorious last stop for many staffers, as once you've sat in The Big Chair, your pariah status is usually locked in." Christopher Priest

A few more--

[IMG][/IMG]
    [IMG][/IMG]
    [IMG][/IMG]

90s. A bit more titles!

[IMG][/IMG]
    [IMG]

Extraordinary Member Zero Hunter's Avatar

I had subscriptions to Uncanny X-Men, Star Wars, Iron Man, Captain America, Avengers, Fantastic Four, and New Mutants. This was way back when the books used to come individually in plain brown sleeves in the mail.

The Fantastic Four
    The X-Men
    The Avengers
    All around the late 1970's

Astonishing Member OBrianTallent's Avatar

The only book I ever subscribed to via mail...Alpha Flight just because I was so excited about the book, I wanted it as soon and direct as possible.

BANNED

The Amazing Spider-Man, and the Fantastic Four. It was convenient for a while because I lived far from any LCS. Once we moved closer to a town that had one though, I dropped the subs and opened a box at the store because I was fed up with the delay in receiving the mail subscriptions. The delays could be anywhere from a couple weeks minimum to well over a month behind the LCS deliveries.

Now I'm back to living far from a LCS, but won't ever mail subscribe again. So I let the pull list accumulate after a few weeks and go pick them up.

Mighty Member McFarlane's Green Hulk's Avatar

1990-1993; Amazing Spider-Man, Thor, Uncanny X-Men and the Hulk.
    I got lucky on some of those Jim Lee issues getting delivered with little or no damage, but damn, the mailman really liked to thrash up my Thor deliveries.

Relaunched, not rebooted! SJNeal's Avatar

At my peak, I was getting Avengers, Alpha Flight (v. 2), Doctor Strange, Excalibur, and X-Factor.

I tried subscribing to a lot of titles (both Marvel and DC) in the mid/late 90's, but never renewed beyond my first year, as every single issue showed up mangled beyond belief. The bags & boards were flimsy, and apparently my mailman had a personal vendetta against me.
    SJNeal
    Veteran Member
    Aug 2009

The CBR Community STANDARDS & RULES

Fantastic Member

I started subs in the .65-.75 years. Amazing, both Avengers titles, Cap, Thor, Iron Man, the FF. When Secret Wars 2 came out in 1985 I added the X-Men, the Hulk and Daredevil. Batman and Detective from DC too. I wasn’t collecting much DC after Brave and the Bold ended. I used to spend any and all my Christmas and birthday (January) on renewals. I grew up with a healthy selection on the spinner racks, and my hometown had an awesome bookstore that had comics for Alpha Flight, Green Lantern, the Flash, WW, etc. We used to get $10 a week as an allowance, and that came in handy for before I had a job, and Batman, Amazing, and Uncanny started that twice a month in the summer schedule, which threw me off. Loved seeing the brown envelopes in that mailbox. Good times….

Fantastic Member

Quote Originally Posted by McFarlane's Green Hulk View Post
    1990-1993; Amazing Spider-Man, Thor, Uncanny X-Men and the Hulk.
    I got lucky on some of those Jim Lee issues getting delivered with little or no damage, but damn, the mailman really liked to thrash up my Thor deliveries.
    My original copy of Uncanny #220 and #248 were all but torn in half upon delivery. Luckily I replaced them both off the convenience store spinner rack. Only times that happened. Then I found Westfield.

Latverian ambassador Iron Maiden's Avatar

The only time I got a subscription was for the Fantastic Four but I didn't renew it after a year or two. It ticked me off because they folded the comic in half and put it mailing envelope like for larger letters. A lot of times it was late