Love this era!!!
    SJNeal
    Veteran Member
    Aug 2009

The CBR Community STANDARDS & RULES

Latverian ambassador Iron Maiden's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by MollyBarton View Post
    "And now I have to track down action figures of all of these characters."

Sadly, I don't think there have ever been action figures of Sersi or Crystal.
    I think the EagleMoss figures had them both. I have Crystal anyway.

I loved this era of Avengers. My absolutely favorite stories and line-up. This made the Black Knight my favorite Marvel character. It also introduced Steve Epting, my favorite artist.

So much good stuff happened in the Harras/Epting run.

Do the looks hold up? I think so (except BK's mullet and Sersei's headband). The jacket look was cool and different. Both Sersei and Crystal should go back to these outfits.

Amazing Member

I have a better view of this run than I did at the time I was buying it. It still has too much of that early to mid 90's Marvel (stubble, mullets, matching jackets, teeth gritted) to me. My main problem with Marvel during that period of time was that variety is their line was all but forgotten. The Avengers lost their distinct identity to follow the popular X-trends. My first issues of the Avengers were the Korvac Saga followed by affordable back issues of the Roy Thomas/John Buscema era. So obviously my take on the Avengers Through The Filter Of Early 90's X-Men is going to be colored by how I was introduced to the Avengers. Brett enjoys alot of the things I dislike about 90's Marvel but that's what makes being fans of long running comics fun: the debate over those differences.

A discussion of the 90s Avengers isn't complete without the Black Knight's workout gear:
    90s knight 1.jpg

In the old days, he'd work out in his armor.

BANNED

It's not one of my favorite runs, but the bomber jackets might be the reason why. I just prefer real costumes, and the distraction of those jackets probably messed up my
    enjoyment. I have to say that it was refreshing to read a lighthearted column by Brett this week. No complaining about what's wrong with comics, just things he loves about
    them. It doesn't matter that I don't like the era very much. It's still good to hear somebody say something positive.

Quote Originally Posted by Iron Maiden View Post
    I think the EagleMoss figures had them both. I have Crystal anyway.
    Oh. I've never seen that one. I almost bought the Black Knight figure off ebay.

Fantastic Member

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisGa View Post
    Harras' run on the book is actually my second favorite behind Stern's, not to mention one of my all-time favorite line-ups. Once Epting came onboard the book really gelled and while some of the book's plots and characters were meh--Deathcry anyone?--he and Harras did a great job of mixing great long-term arcs with the more character-driven, "soapy" moments that had been missing from the book since Stern left.
    If I remember right, Deathcry's status as a "Scrappy" character was even recognized in-universe. The only good character moment she ever had was that time when she let her 1990's gritty attitude down and revealed that she was just a lonely teenager (to Hercules? I don't remember).

Quote Originally Posted by Rene Narciso View Post
    If I remember right, Deathcry's status as a "Scrappy" character was even recognized in-universe. The only good character moment she ever had was that time when she let her 1990's gritty attitude down and revealed that she was just a lonely teenager (to Hercules? I don't remember).
    Yep. Herc became sort of a father figure for her, even though at first she used to behave all sedutive with him, which ended up being kind of creepy.

Peace

Fantastic Member

There is another unique thing about this run. It's probably the only time in comics when Captain America and Black Widow were shown to have "chemistry". And that decades before Captain America 2: The Winter Soldier.