Page 21 of 26 FirstFirst ... 11171819202122232425 ... LastLast

The story in CBR makes it sound like he has always been a problem and this was bound to happen.

https://www.cbr.com/jonathan-majors-...im-filmmakers/

On Twitter, Your Turn and Uncle Frank director A.B. Allen posted a series of tweets after learning of Majors being taken into custody for allegedly assaulting his girlfriend during an incident in New York City. Allen stated in February that "there's a particular actor, relatively new on the scene, who Twitter has violently fallen head over heels for who, in actuality, is a vicious, cruel, abusive human being, both professionally and in his personal life, and every new viral thirst tweet about him drives me insane." Following the breaking news about Majors' arrest, Allen responded to a user's repost of his statement in February, confirming it was Majors he was referring to.
    As for the girlfriend, she was sent to the hospital with bruises on her neck, and I believe there are witnesses to him slapping her.
    There came a time when the Old Gods died! The Brave died with the Cunning! The Noble perished locked in battle with unleashed Evil! It was the last day for them! An ancient era was passing in fiery holocaust!

Astonishing Member

Had the pleasure of meeting Jonathan Majors at a charity do once. He was surprisingly down to earth, and VERY funny.

Mighty Member

Ant-Man 3 Likely to Be the MCU's First Non-Pandemic Movie to Lose Money

Following reports Ant-Man and the Wasp: Quantumania is on track to become the lowest earner in the Ant-Man film trilogy, the recently-released threequel looks set to earn another dubious record for the Marvel Cinematic Universe.

It really seems like Ant-Man should have been a success. The big heads at Disney and the MCU have got to be having a bit of an identity crisis right about now. Losing money is the one cardinal sin for Disney.
    Every day is a gift, not a given right.

Ultimate Member

I liked it overall, but it needed some damn tweaking. Wonder who decided against it

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Taylor View Post
    It really seems like Ant-Man should have been a success. The big heads at Disney and the MCU have got to be having a bit of an identity crisis right about now. Losing money is the one cardinal sin for Disney.
    I could see why it didn't do as well.
    It takes a character who was one of the most normal of the Avengers, and sends him into another universe. The first two Antman movies were caper films.
    It started with minor bad publicity by recasting Cassie.
    The film mainly sets up Kang as the bad guy in Avengers 5. That narrative is a bit flawed since Kang loses too easily. This could be part of why the second weekend dropoff was so bad.
    The special effects were universally critiqued. There are rumblings that Marvel prioritized Black Panther 2.

https://www.vulture.com/2023/02/marv...antumania.html

There may be a version of the movie that is a big hit, where the special effects teams were given more time to make the Quantum Realm special, where there's a narrative that isn't a teaser for the next Avengers film, and where Kang (the casting is well-regarded) finds the balance between not squashing Antman and being tough enough to be an obvious challenge for the Avengers.

Quote Originally Posted by The Cool Thatguy View Post
    I liked it overall, but it needed some damn tweaking. Wonder who decided against it
    Part of it may be that they left too much until the last minute, and with all the Covid delays they already had, they weren't going to hold up Antman, especially since this was seeding Loki Season 2 and the next Avengers.
    Sincerely,
    Thomas Mets

Extraordinary Member Captain Craig's Avatar

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by Mister Mets View Post
    It takes a character who was one of the most normal of the Avengers, and sends him into another universe. The first two Antman movies were caper films.
    The film mainly sets up Kang as the bad guy in Avengers 5. That narrative is a bit flawed since Kang loses too easily. This could be part of why the second weekend dropoff was so bad.
    The special effects were universally critiqued. There are rumblings that Marvel prioritized Black Panther 2.

There may be a version of the movie that is a big hit, where the special effects teams were given more time to make the Quantum Realm special, where there's a narrative that isn't a teaser for the next Avengers film, and where Kang (the casting is well-regarded) finds the balance between not squashing Antman and being tough enough to be an obvious challenge for the Avengers.

Part of it may be that they left too much until the last minute, and with all the Covid delays they already had, they weren't going to hold up Antman, especially since this was seeding Loki Season 2 and the next Avengers.
    • Spider-man goes into space and no one flutters an eyelid but if Ant-Man isn't a caper film everyone goes crazy. Going to the Quantum Realm was organic to the AM series. It is mentioned in the first film. Seen with more depth and its dangers broadened in the second film to being more fully realized in the third to the point of finding out it was a make shift prison for a really bad guy.
    • Was there bad publicity on the Cassie recast, bad? How attached could anyone get to what little of teen Cassie was in Avengers 4?
    • Kang wasn't at full power for starters. Jan kept him and his ship from going full power. Also, he was overwhelmed in sheer numbers. Plus, part of Ant-Man's gimmick that works in his favor he's that he's underestimated/underappreciated for what he brings. I'm stunned at those who still don't get that about the character.
    • I didn't see F/X problems and I saw it on weekend 3 so I went in looking for the complaints and didn't see them.
    "Freedom is the right of all sentient beings" - Optimus Prime

Astonishing Member

I went to see the first two Ant-Man films in the theatre. Probably won't see this new film until its on cable.

Can only speak for myself, but a little bit of the Quantum Realm in the first film was fine. Basing the entire movie around it, turned me off. Marvel's too-big, too-epic movies tired me. I liked the smaller scale of the Ant-Man movies. Preferred Ant-Man & the Wasp to both of the last two Avengers movies. Didn't need to see a Kang in Ant-Man 3. I would have loved a Lethal Legion with guys like Whirlwind, the Eel, etc. Not everything has to be a world crisis!

Quote Originally Posted by Mister Mets View Post

For me, the FX issue was a minor thing. The Quantum Realm was quite fantastic, and there weren't noticeable moments where a person seemed to be performing in front of a green screen, as had happened in Black Widow. It was mainly MODOK.

Other than that, yah it was underwhelming in other ways as compared to what the movie purported to be.

Disney is laying off a bunch of people, 7000 at least, and let go of Ike Perlmutter who had some level of influence over Marvel Studios. Its cost-cutting that likely stems from COVID mostly, but I bet the Ant-Man movie's failure will also have some bearing on who goes. Kind of bad timing to have worked on that particular movie.
    Every day is a gift, not a given right.

For me, the FX issue was a minor thing. The Quantum Realm was quite fantastic, and there weren't noticeable moments where a person seemed to be performing in front of a green screen, as had happened in Black Widow. It was mainly MODOK.
    I saw pictures of MCU's MODOK. He didn't look bad. I will reserve my judgement when I watch the film.

Disney is laying off a bunch of people, 7000 at least, and let go of Ike Perlmutter who had some level of influence over Marvel Studios. Its cost-cutting that likely stems from COVID mostly, but I bet the Ant-Man movie's failure will also have some bearing on who goes. Kind of bad timing to have worked on that particular movie.
    Laying off 7,000 employees... What is Bob Iger thinking about? Cutting costs due to mainly COVID?

Quote Originally Posted by Kirby101 View Post
    The story in CBR makes it sound like he has always been a problem and this was bound to happen.

https://www.cbr.com/jonathan-majors-...im-filmmakers/

As for the girlfriend, she was sent to the hospital with bruises on her neck, and I believe there are witnesses to him slapping her.
    Domestic violence. If there is no excuse behind Jonathan Majors' actions and his arrest is justified, I hope Jonathan Majors learn his lesson. Charged for Assaulting his girlfriend in public does not bode well for his future acting prospects.

Decided against what? Tweaking the movie? You think they didn't make tweaks?

Or just not the tweaks you wanted?

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Bunch of Coconuts View Post
    Decided against what? Tweaking the movie? You think they didn't make tweaks?

Or just not the tweaks you wanted?
    Modok looked like it was just the actor putting his head through the screen. That certainly needed some tweaking.

Some of the jokes weren't bad, but the timing left something to be desired. Seems like they didn't get finished with their punch list.

Modok looked like it was just the actor putting his head through the screen. That certainly needed some tweaking.

Some of the jokes weren't bad, but the timing left something to be desired. Seems like they didn't get finished with their punch list.
    I don't get all the MODOK complaints. It's a huge, deformed human head. It's going to look weird. Our brains are hardwired to recognize human faces. And when a "human face" doesn't look like a human face, it looks weird.