Page 22 of 26 FirstFirst ... 12181920212223242526 LastLast

The lays offs are a reaction to the latest bunch of movies and projects disappointing at the box office. The sad part is that Disney is not losing money at all, they just aren't making the amount they would like to make. None of the movies' I've watched have been really good. Mostly meh, and many people are turning away from this genre. Maybe comic movies are being to fade away.

Quote Originally Posted by icctrombone View Post
    The lays offs are a reaction to the latest bunch of movies and projects disappointing at the box office. The sad part is that Disney is not losing money at all, they just aren't making the amount they would like to make. None of the movies' I've watched have been really good. Mostly meh, and many people are turning away from this genre. Maybe comic movies are being to fade away.
    This isn't true. The movie division isn't the problem and are actually profitable. Disney isn't restructuring based on a couple of underperforming films. The parks division and streaming service are where they aren't getting a good ROI.

Quote Originally Posted by 80sbaby View Post
    This isn't true. The movie division isn't the problem and are actually profitable. Disney isn't restructuring based on a couple of underperforming films. The parks division and streaming service are where they aren't getting a good ROI.
    "We're not making trillions a year for the last three years, only hundreds of billions! We don't have time to wait for the pandemic effects to wear off, so let's layoff the low end and minimum wage workers!"

"Yay, go Mickey!"
    "Always listen to the crazy scientist with a weird van or armful of blueprints and diagrams." -- Vibranium

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Bunch of Coconuts View Post
    I don't get all the MODOK complaints. It's a huge, deformed human head. It's going to look weird. Our brains are hardwired to recognize human faces. And when a "human face" doesn't look like a human face, it looks weird.
    It's not that he was a big head, I knew to expect that.

It's just that whatever special effects used to create him, looked different from the other special effects in the movie.

It wasn't that he didn't look like a human face, it was that he kinda looked too much like one.

Marvel's 1st Superhero Reviresco's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Taylor View Post
    Disney is laying off a bunch of people, 7000 at least, and let go of Ike Perlmutter who had some level of influence over Marvel Studios. Its cost-cutting that likely stems from COVID mostly, but I bet the Ant-Man movie's failure will also have some bearing on who goes. Kind of bad timing to have worked on that particular movie.
    Quote Originally Posted by 80sbaby View Post
    The movie division isn't the problem and are actually profitable. Disney isn't restructuring based on a couple of underperforming films. The parks division and streaming service are where they aren't getting a good ROI.
    Quote Originally Posted by BeastieRunner View Post
    "We're not making trillions a year for the last three years, only hundreds of billions! We don't have time to wait for the pandemic effects to wear off, so let's layoff the low end and minimum wage workers!"

"Yay, go Mickey!"
    This! Some of less money situation may be partly a result of Covid, but there's other things that have contributed to that, including things like Disney+ price hike and decline in streaming and parks price hikes and other things.

And yes, all these layoffs and cost cutting is so Iger can deliver on the stock holder dividends that he promised to reinstate at the end of the year, NOT because Disney is not profitable. The rich get richer and the rest of us can just get laid off.
    Namor the Sub-Mariner, Marvel's oldest character, will have been published for 85 years in 2024. So where's my GOOD Namor anniversary ongoing, Marvel?

Quote Originally Posted by Reviresco View Post
    This! Some of less money situation may be partly a result of Covid, but there's other things that have contributed to that, including things like Disney+ price hike and decline in streaming and parks price hikes and other things.

And yes, all these layoffs and cost cutting is so Iger can deliver on the stock holder dividends that he promised to reinstate at the end of the year, NOT because Disney is not profitable. The rich get richer and the rest of us can just get laid off.
    Yep. And speaking from Disneyland in the LA area, they've made a couple of big planning snafus in the past 10 years outside of COVID. Some are partly the fault of the City of Anaheim, but I feel like their parks division in general has been on a downward slide for a while. Not that Disney cares about that - they know many people will keep paying in spite of the price hikes, even if they have to get a second mortgage the house or something.

Its funny how the mouse seems to bumble about sometimes, and still get away with it.
    Every day is a gift, not a given right.

All-New Member

Sympathetic without more, as soon seen, as soon as forgotten. So of course there are still nice moments visually speaking, but unfortunately on the script side it's already seen. There is therefore nothing revolutionary in Ant Man and it is regrettable.

Last edited by damiendada; 04-16-2023 at 08:12 AM.

Ant-Man and the Wasp: Quantumania started streaming on Disney+ yesterday, so I watched it. Sort of. I started to tune out the moment the new Cassie was introduced and then shut it off completely sometime shortly after the scene with Bill Murray. Such a shame about this movie. I liked both of the other films, Disney, what have you done!?

Ant-Man and the Wasp: Quantumania started streaming on Disney+ yesterday, so I watched it. Sort of. I started to tune out the moment the new Cassie was introduced and then shut it off completely sometime shortly after the scene with Bill Murray. Such a shame about this movie. I liked both of the other films, Disney, what have you done!?
    Isn't Cassie in the frist 5 minutes of the movie? A little soon to tune out I think.....

Quote Originally Posted by Bunch of Coconuts View Post
    I don't get all the MODOK complaints. It's a huge, deformed human head. It's going to look weird. Our brains are hardwired to recognize human faces. And when a "human face" doesn't look like a human face, it looks weird.
    It's not that it looks weird it looks bad for real he looks like Mr. Electricidad from Sharkboy and Lavagirl and that looked horrible back in 05 much less in 2023.

Quote Originally Posted by choptop View Post
    Isn't Cassie in the frist 5 minutes of the movie? A little soon to tune out I think.....
    Wasn't clear in my post but I had seen it in the theatre already back when it had its run. This time I was seeing it for the second time to see if my opinion might change of the movie, since time had passed.

But yes, too soon to completely tune out. I only mention it because I pinpointed that was where I started to feel disappointed. Not sure why, it was just what I noticed for whatever reason.

Wasn't clear in my post but I had seen it in the theatre already back when it had its run. This time I was seeing it for the second time to see if my opinion might change of the movie, since time had passed.

But yes, too soon to completely tune out. I only mention it because I pinpointed that was where I started to feel disappointed. Not sure why, it was just what I noticed for whatever reason.
    I can't blame you she's horrible.

So I saw it on Disney+.

It's not bad in the sense that it makes some really bad choices. It just fails to deliver on many points.

* The rebellion. Small number of misfits who lacks originality and impact. The leader was just a leader, very 2 dimensional characters. This is fine in itself as the movie had other characters to focus on but the rebellion memebers where given much screentime and if you do so you have to make the seconds count. I liked the telepath, that was about it of that group.
    * Kang builds an empire but it's mostly hollow. We have the dome and his underlings. Not much more. Overall this giant city he constructed feels empty.
    * Bill Murray was a glorified cameo who added very little. Mostly it just took me out of the movie.
    * Cassie's actor isn't the best but she isn't the worst either, still it took me out of the movie at times.
    * A lack of chemistry between many of the characters. I liked Michael Douglas in his relationships, he brought it.

The big one: The script! It reads like a draft more then a full script. Some parts where just transport and nothing more beyond: look at this world! isn't it cool!
    The jokes where very mundane but the timing of them made it fall flat. I think Paul Rudd says that usually they improvise jokes on the set and that's what give them the timing in many cases. Here it was noticabily lacking.

Overall there is a good movie in there but it needs to be leaner and tighter.

A shame that Majors seems to be a horrible person since he was good as Kang.

Watched on Disney +. Mostly fun. Not the best from Marvel, but enjoyable all the way through. I didn't see any of the awful FX I had heard about. Considering it almost all took place in the Quantum Realm I thought it looked pretty good.
    Personally, I would take this over WF any day.
    There came a time when the Old Gods died! The Brave died with the Cunning! The Noble perished locked in battle with unleashed Evil! It was the last day for them! An ancient era was passing in fiery holocaust!

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Kirby101 View Post
    Watched on Disney +. Mostly fun. Not the best from Marvel, but enjoyable all the way through. I didn't see any of the awful FX I had heard about. Considering it almost all took place in the Quantum Realm I thought it looked pretty good.
    Personally, I would take this over WF any day.
    Yea lol I didnt really see anything wrong with the movie. People and expectations now for these movies are off the charts. Its a crazy ant-man movie. I dont know maybe im just to easy to please. We are talking about ant-man here.