Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Jokerz79 View Post
    In the MCU you have to use Jump Point/Gates to travel between solar systems/galaxies. Think of Rocket, Groot, and Yondu making all those jumps to get to Ego. In between jump points you'd have to use sublight speed.

Let's say the enemy has a base on Saturn but the jump point for our solar system is near Earth meaning you'd have to jump to earth and back track at sublight to reach Saturn. With light speed you wouldn't need to use jump points and go directly to locations giving a tactical advantage in space warfare.
    Yeah, I figured it was something like that, and I remembered the scene in GotG 2, but they've never really explained it in the films, let alone in Captain Marvel itself. I mean, how do those jump points work? Why are they jump points? Were they made that way? Are they wormholes? What's going on?

Extraordinary Member

I'll agree that maybe the dumbest moment overall is the live action The Last Airbender's Earthbender Prison scene, mostly because it compounds stupid on top of stupid - yes, the dirt floor nature of the prion is an aneurism-instigating stupid moment in and of itself, but it gets compounded by the Earhtbender's actual rebellion having arguably the most meme-able example of the film's bending choreography with the synchronized dance to either slowly lift a fist sized rock in the air or finish a dance after the rock wall already deployed for some reason.

On a lighter, somewhat more goofy note because of how it's stupid but covered up well by the writing and acting, the Titanic's door-raft scene - a good example of the prop department screwing up the design so that Jack's freezing to death for no reason, but at least we know it's juts a problem with a prop.

For dumb Star Wars movies moments, I feel the list should start with The Last Jedi and end with The Rise of Skywalker - the other films may not be smart, but honestly it's these two that are the dumbest by far, and TLJ especially should be decried as stupid overall because it caused the issues resulting in TROS. In particular:

TLJ-

* The Fireside Crush on a Serial Killer scene and pretty much anything involving Rey and Kylo is just toxic and cancerously bad smut fanfiction without the smut, like 50 Shades of Grey with the BDSM replaced with stroking white introvert males' egos, with no applicable psychology or entertaining reason for her to crush on this boring monster.

* The entire Space Chase plot, so several scenes in a row of arbitrary "rules" the film will ignore in turn to try and punish Oscar Isaac for being charismatic by making him a Hot Blooded Latino Stereotype Who Needs A White Woman To Put Him In His Place, only to resort to writing Holdo as a bipolar incompetent with a military strategy staff that thinks that flying 16 hours in a straight line is a good plan, before resolving with a story-breaking bit of spectacle, all also written to punish the audience for paying attention to TLJ itself.

* Pretty much any scene with the heroic characters, period, in fact; not only are they written in wildly out of character ways, but they're all dumb as bricks and lack any empathy or larger view of the world - even when Johnson is retconning Finn's portrayal to try and argue he didn't already see the big picture (because he sure as **** did in TFA, dammit!) so he can "grow him to that level"... Johnson's idea of that is still a cynical, shallow POV.

TROS-

* The entire dagger subplot.

* "Somehow, Palpatine returned." (...so that Ben Solo doesn't have to be the bad guy because LFL is obsessed with him.)

* Rey kissing Ben.
    Last edited by godisawesome; 10-24-2022 at 03:51 PM.
    Like action, adventure, rogues, and outlaws? Like anti-heroes, femme fatales, mysteries and thrillers?

I wrote a book with them. Outlaw’s Shadow: A Sherwood Noir. Robin Hood’s evil counterpart, Guy of Gisbourne, is the main character. Feel free to give it a look: https://read.amazon.com/kp/embed?asi...E2PKBNJFH76GQP

I posted this in the unanswered Questions thread but it fits here. Not so much one moment but a whole plot line that made no sense and was dumb.

In Batman Begins how did not one in Gotham get effect by the fear gas before they busted the water mains? I mean it is released in steam. Did no one in Gotham boil water for instant coffee or Pasta? No one take a really hot shower? When Scarecrow set fire to the building didnt the fire fighters put it out with water from the Hydrants aka Gotahm's Water supply? So when the water hit the fire and created steam how did everyone in the area not freak out?

This is a huge plot hole and it really does kind of take me out of the movie.

"Honey are you not going to take a hot shower?"

"No mom last time I did I thought the soap was eating my toes!"
    This Post Contains No Artificial Intelligence. It Contains No Human Intelligence Either.

Incredible Member

Off the top of my head-

The "silver nitrate" bullets in Underworld. No that's clearly mercury. Silver nitrate is a colourless liquid that looks just like water.

Also from Underworld. The opening scene where Selene drops five stories straight down and just walks away smooth as glass. I can buy the landing not harming her because of superhuman durability, but all that momentum doesn't just disappear when her feet touch the ground.

A similar moment happens in the Star Trek reboot when they get beamed to the Enterprise just as they're about to smash into the ground and are somehow okay even though the momentum from the fall would have killed them (I suppose you could argue that the transporter can somehow bleed off momentum but it still seems dumb to me).

Quote Originally Posted by caj View Post
    That ending to the 2001 remake of Planet of the Apes when Mark Wahlberg looks at the Lincoln Memorial and it shows General Thade. Dumb dumb dumb.
    I never get people problem with this ending or what they don't get General Thade somehow went back in time and altered the past he had access to the technology and it's shown you can go back further than the people who left before you.

Quote Originally Posted by babyblob View Post
    I posted this in the unanswered Questions thread but it fits here. Not so much one moment but a whole plot line that made no sense and was dumb.

In Batman Begins how did not one in Gotham get effect by the fear gas before they busted the water mains? I mean it is released in steam. Did no one in Gotham boil water for instant coffee or Pasta? No one take a really hot shower? When Scarecrow set fire to the building didnt the fire fighters put it out with water from the Hydrants aka Gotahm's Water supply? So when the water hit the fire and created steam how did everyone in the area not freak out?

This is a huge plot hole and it really does kind of take me out of the movie.

"Honey are you not going to take a hot shower?"

"No mom last time I did I thought the soap was eating my toes!"
    All that probably happened off screen you just didn't see it and it wasn't a large scale thing they probably only put a large amount of the blue poppy in to make any real difference the day of the attack everything before was just small amounts.

BANNED

Off the top of my head-

Star Wars franchise: "I have the high ground". "Somehow Palpatine came back". Seeing Palpatine in the prequels immediately turn into a shriveled monster after using Dark Side lightning, I thought it would have been much better to assume it was continued use of the Dark Side that shriveled/corrupted him over time. My guess is someone thought the audience was too stupid and so had to spell it out for them, "this is that guy, the big bad from the first three in case you didn't know already".

Avatar: the uttering of the word "unobtainium". I immediately thought, "oh go f##k yourself" and would have left the theater if I didn't have my nephew with me. Though it turned out I would have done us both a favor.

Cabin in the Woods: a movie I very much enjoyed, but in the hand-holding/"the audience will never understand this" department showing the bird flying into the open-air TV screen that made up the barrier of the Cabin area. It completely ruined/stepped on the moment when the one guy tried to leap the chasm with a motorcycle. As soon as you saw what he was doing it was obvious he was going to run into the screen too and it was just wasted time, whereas if he'd tried and suddenly hit a giant TV screen in open air it would have been a cool "WTF?" moment.

About the Gremlins thing, Apart from the rules, Billy didn't really know that the Gremlins were going to really be that malevolent (Despite their mogwai being mischievous) until he discovers Mr. Hanson's body.
    chrism227.wordpress.com Info and opinions on a variety of interests.

https://twitter.com/chrisprtsmouth

Quote Originally Posted by Slimybug View Post
    2) 2009 - Transformers: Revenge of the Fallen - When the mom eats the pot brownie and we spend like two minutes of precious screentime watching her run around campus for no reason. The whole Transformers series is full of crap like this, but this is the worst, most time-consuming one.

4) 2019 - Captain Marvel - When multiple alien races come to Earth because there may be a lightspeed engine invented there.....Wait, what? I must have missed something. That can't be the plot! No, seriously, what did I miss? I'm willing to erase this one from the list if there's an aspect of this I just didn't get.
    2. That whole movie was a dumb moment.

4. From what I gathered, the Skrulls needed the lightspeed engine so that they could escape from the Kree and settle a new world. Mar-vel (somehow) found out the tesseract was on Earth, came here (with Skrulls?) and built said engine. But before it could be completed, the Kree tracked her down, and we saw the rest. I think the Kree were just after the power source of the engine, not necessarily the engine itself. That's my take, anyway.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisIII View Post
    About the Gremlins thing, Apart from the rules, Billy didn't really know that the Gremlins were going to really be that malevolent (Despite their mogwai being mischievous) until he discovers Mr. Hanson's body.
    Hey, don't judge a book by its cover! And he was walking around with Phoebe Cates, pretty easy to be distracted.

The ending to Dragon Ball Evolution. They set up a sequel in the ending. They had the gall to think after that insulting mess of a film they could somehow get a sequel.

The same goes for Last Airbender. They set it up by "introducing" Azula (even though they did it earlier in the film) to go after the group, at the ending of a boring, and very bad adaptation that was almost all exposition.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisIII View Post
    True. One thing that is dumb though is one of the rules. As I've said before, "don't feed them after midnight..." Okay, until when? At what point is it safe to feed them again?

Also, slightly off-topic, but I'd like to mention a scene that a lot of people think is dumb but actually isn't. In Santa Claus: The Movie, in B.Z.'s debut scene, a lot of people ask why do the teddy bears his company made have nails and glass in them when that would cost more than regular stuffing? While browsing TV Tropes I was amazed and delighted to see that someone had a real answer, not just the usual "because he's a bad guy" nonsense. It's because the bears are supposed to make a jingling noise when shaken. Nails and glass would make that noise and would be cheaper than using real bells.
    Last edited by hareluyafan1; 10-25-2022 at 05:25 PM.

Astonishing Member

Teaching Kung Fu in Jackie Chans Karate Kid