Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Incredible Member

Default What are the DUMBEST movie moments you've ever seen?

This is bound to lead into some arguments, but what the heck?

1) 2008 - Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull - The fridge nuking.

When this happened, I felt like I was going crazy, like I was strapped down in a room somewhere hallucinating this, or like Spielberg was going to pull aside the curtain and say "Gotcha! Here's the real movie!" I just couldn't believe what I had just seen. It was like the death of cinema. Never experienced anything on the same level before or since, but I will say I've experienced something at least akin to it, still with that stomach-dropping, out-of-body experience, twice more...

2) 2009 - Transformers: Revenge of the Fallen - When the mom eats the pot brownie and we spend like two minutes of precious screentime watching her run around campus for no reason. The whole Transformers series is full of crap like this, but this is the worst, most time-consuming one.

3) 2015 - Star Wars: The Force Awakens - To be fair, this moment wasn't actually watching the movie, it was when the poster came out, and I saw that the antagonist of the film would be ANOTHER Death Star. Yeah, that was definitely the third stomach-dropping moment.

Other than that, I've got a couple more that are pretty high up there.

4) 2019 - Captain Marvel - When multiple alien races come to Earth because there may be a lightspeed engine invented there.....Wait, what? I must have missed something. That can't be the plot! No, seriously, what did I miss? I'm willing to erase this one from the list if there's an aspect of this I just didn't get.

5) 2021 - Spider-Man: No Way Home - Multiple villains come to 616 in the moments before their deaths. Peter decides he can't send them back to those moments before their deaths just to have them die, so he decides instead to cure them...then send them back to the moments of their deaths. That's the plot of the film. It's why I'm not as gaga over this film as everyone else seems to be, and consider it the second-worst of the MCU.

Also, a friend of mine always lists one of his as The Last Airbender (2010) - "They make a prison for Earth-Benders with a dirt floor!"

Okay, now fight...I mean, give me yours!
    Last edited by Slimybug; 10-24-2022 at 11:32 AM.

Not a Newbie Member JBatmanFan05's Avatar

Peter Parker doing a jazz-dance at Mary Jane’s nightclub (Spider-Man 3)
    Sonny's total whiff missed punch while beating up Carlo (The Godfather)
    Things I love: Batman, Superman, AEW, old films, Lovecraft

Grant Morrison: “Adults...struggle desperately with fiction, demanding constantly that it conform to the rules of everyday life. Adults foolishly demand to know how Superman can possibly fly, or how Batman can possibly run a multibillion-dollar business empire during the day and fight crime at night, when the answer is obvious even to the smallest child: because it's not real.”

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by JBatmanFan05 View Post
    Peter Parker doing a jazz-dance at Mary Jane’s nightclub (Spider-Man 3)
    Now dig on this!
    Last edited by Slimybug; 10-24-2022 at 12:11 PM.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by JBatmanFan05 View Post
    Sonny's total whiff missed punch while beating up Carlo (The Godfather)
    I don't know if I'd count that as one of the worst of all time (though I'm biased as it's my all-time favorite movie).
    But as long as we're on the subject of moments like that, the worst ever might be Bullseye impaling Elektra and the knife coming out of her back at an extremely wrong angle. And I usually defend Daredevil as underrated and overly bashed! But that moment....Oof. Just so embarassing.

Not a Newbie Member JBatmanFan05's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Slimybug View Post
    I don't know if I'd count that as one of the worst of all time (though I'm biased as it's my all-time favorite movie).
    It's a very dumb moment IMHO...in a film that's maybe my all-time favorite movie. Coppola effed up big time, got the wrong camera angle, but it didn't ruin the film. But he needed to catch that error, he undermined that scene, those performances, people mock that moment to this day.
    Last edited by JBatmanFan05; 10-24-2022 at 12:37 PM.
    Things I love: Batman, Superman, AEW, old films, Lovecraft

Grant Morrison: “Adults...struggle desperately with fiction, demanding constantly that it conform to the rules of everyday life. Adults foolishly demand to know how Superman can possibly fly, or how Batman can possibly run a multibillion-dollar business empire during the day and fight crime at night, when the answer is obvious even to the smallest child: because it's not real.”

Extraordinary Member

That ending to the 2001 remake of Planet of the Apes when Mark Wahlberg looks at the Lincoln Memorial and it shows General Thade. Dumb dumb dumb.

Incredible Member

I guess it's never really bothered me, but should we mention the fact that in the Ant-Man films, they specifically state that the technology is based on shrinking the space between atoms, but then the whole point of the trilogy, and a major factor in Avengers: Endgame, is that they can go sub-atomic? Or the idea that they can grow things, when all that would be doing would be expanding the space between atoms, so the item in question would just become less and less dense the bigger it got?

And speaking of Avengers: Endgame, I get into arguments with my friends all the time because I don't think it's the greatest film ever made. One of my friends consistently ranks it 10/10 and calls it the best film of 2019. I say it's the ultimate mixed bag ever. It has some of the crowning moments of cinema (Cap wielding Mjolnir and the portals scene) and at least two of the dumbest ever. The dumbest being...

1) There's this big time-heist with the stakes being half the universe, and as par tof it, they send Thor back in time to Asgard and not even cutting his beard or washing his hair. Yet rocke acts like he's supposed to just BE the 2013 Thor, and go seduce Jane. It's made all the dumber by the fact that they're wearing those loose Asgard robes, which actually somewhat covers how fat he's gotten, meaning he might actually have been able to get away with such a thing if he...you know...cut his beard.
    2) They spend 3 hours explaining the rules of time travel to us, then at the end, throw them out the window and say "Cap went back in time and is now here with us."
    Also, I guess he was Peggy's husband and the father of her children the whole time, without the world knowing? ****ing stupid.

Also, I just saw Halloween Ends, and basically the entire movie ranks as one of the dumbest things ever. So I'll put that on the list. Same goes for Star Wars: The Force Awakens.

So, to sum up, I think my list goes something like...

10.Daredevil - Elektra getting stabbed and having the knife come out at a diagonal angle.
    9. Transformers: Revenge of the Fallen - Mom and the pot brownie (Decepticon testicles comes pretty close tho)
    8. Captain Marvel - Aliens travel to Earth...to find lightspeed technology.
    7. Spider-Man: No Way Home - Peter not willing to send the villains to their deaths, so he cures them....and sends them to their death.
    6. The Last Airbender - Earthbenders in a prison with a dirt floor
    5. Halloween Ends - The entire plot.
    4. Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull - Nuking the fridge.
    3. Avengers: Endgame - Steve breaking the rules of time travel because we want this ending.
    2. Avengers: Endgame - Thor not even cutting his beard for the time heist.
    1. Star Wars: The Force Awakens - The entire plot.
    Last edited by Slimybug; 10-24-2022 at 12:56 PM.

1. Paranormal Activity---That scene that started just as the Opening finished that ran until the closing credits.
    2. Amityville Horror---When the house says, GET OUT, and everyone stays...

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by krazijoe View Post
    1. Paranormal Activity---That scene that started just as the Opening finished that ran until the closing credits.
    Need to watch it, I guess.

More nitpicks than dumb but why not--

Alvin and the chipmunks-Spent the entire movie with the "dave tries to get the girl" in our faces---and she dumps him by the second movie anyways. Thanks for wasting our time.

Ewoks 2--The first films plot is "save the parents." We spend the entire film saving them. They are dead 10min into the second. Thanks for wasting our time.

T2--make a big deal ALL cyborg stuff must be destroyed. Then arnold leaves his smashed arm in the machine and does not destroy it. Oops. He killed himself for nothing.

Ghostbusters 2--people think ghosts are fake? Did they miss the tons of videos of the giant stay puff walking down new york or the tons of ghosts everywhere at once and even in time square. Even dan said that was a mistake having it in the script.

Inside out--They were shown a shoot that they send the commercial orb up right away and didn't send the memory orbs up it? They would have been done in minutes!

Hotal Transylvania-- Drak is strait up told there is a ghost of a woman in his old home where his wife died, and he ignored it. They have ghosts there as guests so you know they are real and you are told your wife may be still here and you ignore it and don't check it out. Thought it was going to be the climax but it's never talked about again? Why is that even in the film? All future films ignore it. He says "I'm lonely" in part 3. Maybe if you went to see your ghost wife you wouldn't be dimwit.

Speaking of that movie-they hate humans. Hunchback and invisible man are humans. Oops.

Gremlins-billy had all day to smash the cocoons. And didn't.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Gaastra View Post
    More nitpicks than dumb but why not--

Alvin and the chipmunks-Spent the entire movie with the "dave tries to get the girl" in our faces---and she dumps him by the second movie anyways. Thanks for wasting our time.

Ewoks 2--The first films plot is "save the parents." We spend the entire film saving them. They are dead 10min into the second. Thanks for wasting our time.
    I haven't seen those films, but yes, that is one of my biggest gripes in all storytelling! If one film ends with a certain triumph, that kind of being the whole point, the following film shouldn't renege on that, especially early on!
    It's why I hate Alien 3, The Force Awakens, & Terminator: Dark Fate!

Actually, if you go to Dark Fate's wikipedia page there's a whole section on the fate of John Connor, which cites people talking about what a hypocrite Cameron is because he lambasted Alien 3 for doing the exact same thing!

Goofy movie did the same get the girl main plot also--than dumped her next movie! Luckly house of mouse had the two dating again. Even the house of mouse writers hated that they dumped the plot.

Not my nitpick but have a family member who watched for the first time ask in empire strikes back why did liea choose to save han over luke when she knew both were in danger? "Why did a general pick to save the pilot you can replace or save later as he said jabba was after him more than once so you know where he is going over the only force user who in the enemy hands can be trained kill you all and make the bad guys more unstoppable or if you lose cost your side a force user? If you were a general, who would you pick to save"

Ouch. I never thought of that. Can't say i agree with that. She was getting fired at and had to make a quick choose. Don't blame her for this myself. Her back was to the wall.
    Last edited by Gaastra; 10-24-2022 at 01:43 PM.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Gaastra View Post
    Goofy movie did the same get the girl main plot also--than dumped her next movie! Luckly house of house had the two dating again. Even the house of mouse writers hated that they dumped the plot.
    Like I said, I hate reneging on plotlines, and I will even take that further and say that the love interest should be the love interest! Like, if she's the love interest in one film, and the film ends happily with them getting toegether, he/she should be the love of his/her life!

Examples of reneging on this include The Karate Kid sequels. Dammit, Daniel should have ended up with Ali! Have her be the mother of his children! Not "dumbest of all time" stuff, but still.

In the karate kid cartoon she went back to the bully who treated her pretty bad.

In the MCU you have to use Jump Point/Gates to travel between solar systems/galaxies. Think of Rocket, Groot, and Yondu making all those jumps to get to Ego. In between jump points you'd have to use sublight speed.

Let's say the enemy has a base on Saturn but the jump point for our solar system is near Earth meaning you'd have to jump to earth and back track at sublight to reach Saturn. With light speed you wouldn't need to use jump points and go directly to locations giving a tactical advantage in space warfare.