Default Possible Episode 10 stand-alone film by Lindelof?

https://www.cbr.com/damon-lindelof-s...gy-characters/

Could be an interesting "Coda" to the sequel trilogy if it brings back the main characters (except the dead ones, although I suppose Ben and Luke at least could be force ghosts) and possibly a better send-of, in the same sense some are hoping for in Indiana Jones V (For well, Indiana Jones) and Picard season 3 (For Star Trek:TNG)

Unless of course it's retroactive, in the sense that some sequel characters have been showing up retroactively in comics/novels/games years before-Maz appeared in Battlefront II and a few comics; Holdo in the Leia novel and comics, Ochii in the Vader comics, Knights of Ren are appearing in Crimson Reign, Babu Frik is showing up in Mandalorian season 3 etc.
    chrism227.wordpress.com Info and opinions on a variety of interests.

https://twitter.com/chrisprtsmouth

I like what he did with HBO's Watchmen so I'm curious what he would do with Star Wars.
    Last edited by the illustrious mr. kenway; 10-24-2022 at 08:25 PM.

Damon Lindelof?!

The guy that gave us Mystery Box Island aka Lost?

The guy that managed to con HBO into doing The Leftovers?

The guy that then went on to con HBO into doing that garbage Watchman show and then said that he told the story he wanted to tell and bounced rather than admit it was cancelled? You really think HBO spent all that money just for one season? They were hoping it was good enough for another season, it wasn't.

The guy that gave us Star Trek:Into Darkness? The one where everyone and their mother knew Cumberbatch was playing Khan but they still pretended it was a secret?

The guy who gave us Prometheus? Wait..I kind of liked Prometheus.
    "The Marvel EIC Chair has a certain curse that goes along with it: it tends to drive people insane, and ultimately, out of the business altogether. It is the notorious last stop for many staffers, as once you've sat in The Big Chair, your pariah status is usually locked in." Christopher Priest

Extraordinary Member thwhtGuardian's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Anthony W View Post
    Damon Lindelof?!

The guy that gave us Mystery Box Island aka Lost?

The guy that managed to con HBO into doing The Leftovers?

The guy that then went on to con HBO into doing that garbage Watchman show and then said that he told the story he wanted to tell and bounced rather than admit it was cancelled? You really think HBO spent all that money just for one season? They were hoping it was good enough for another season, it wasn't.

The guy that gave us Star Trek:Into Darkness? The one where everyone and their mother knew Cumberbatch was playing Khan but they still pretended it was a secret?

The guy who gave us Prometheus? Wait..I kind of liked Prometheus.
    I'm not a huge Lindelof fan by any stretch and I wasn't a fan of the Watchmen show...but to paint it as a failure is just silly. It was one of HBO's most watched series to date bringing in around 7 million viewers an episode.
    Looking for a friendly place to discuss comic books? Try The Classic Comics Forum!

Quote Originally Posted by thwhtGuardian View Post
    I'm not a huge Lindelof fan by any stretch and I wasn't a fan of the Watchmen show...but to paint it as a failure is just silly. It was one of HBO's most watched series to date bringing in around 7 million viewers an episode.
    The 7 million figure is a cumulative one, measured from the series premiere on Oct. 20 through Sunday. Its initial audience for the season is 759,000. By "one of" what you mean is eighth most popular show. That just doesn't match up with the internet praise and with the price tag on it. That is why Damon Lindelof didn't stick around, the writing was already on the wall.
    "The Marvel EIC Chair has a certain curse that goes along with it: it tends to drive people insane, and ultimately, out of the business altogether. It is the notorious last stop for many staffers, as once you've sat in The Big Chair, your pariah status is usually locked in." Christopher Priest

Guess tis won't be part of the Skywalker saga but possibly dealing with what happens after the war.
    chrism227.wordpress.com Info and opinions on a variety of interests.

https://twitter.com/chrisprtsmouth

Extraordinary Member

I'm intrigued by what an epilogue film could be... though as a self-admitted Pro-TFA/Anti-TLJ partisan, I'll have to admit my intrigue is formed through that lens.

I intuitively find myself thinking that a single-film epilogue gets made for a very specific set of reasons - LFL being dissatisfied with both the way TROS ended the stories of the Sequel Trilogy and the Skywalker Saga, along with a dissatisfaction-bordering-on-desperation regarding the way the "table is set" after TROS was over.

The Rise of Skywalker is a film that seems to have been made as a compromise from all sides, with very few of its creative forces proud of it beyond the sheer technical impressiveness of pumping out a profitable blockbuster on such short notice with two production companies that bore mild grudges towards each other and competing priorities that had resulted in the crunched time schedule. Abrams, Bad Robot, and others had prioritized Rey, Finn, Kylo-as-a-villain and having the old OT heroes "pass the torch" to the new characters with a very "sequel" plotline; Johnson and Lucasfilm had been profoundly disinterested in Rey, hostile towards Finn, and obsessed with Ben Solo-as-the-real-protagonist, while also pursuing a more "never-ending story" plotline. TROS was the result of those clashing objectives, a film that simultaneously tried to be an epic conclusion to a continuous story (like TFA) but also still packing away the Skywalker bloodline for good (like TLJ), to make Rey the main centerpiece of the story with a dynamic arc (like TFA) but still override her personality and believability so she could be Ben's shallow love interest (like TLJ), and to have Kylo be the main attraction villain (like TFA), but also the protagonist (like TLJ).

Any "epilogue"-style story could really only justify itself if it sought to pick one side or the other on some of these issues.

Like... you could reveal that Luke or Ben has a child somewhere out there for Rey to find an adopt so that the family story continues.

Or it's a story of Rey and Finn hashing out her bad taste in Ben/being brainwashed by the Force to start a romance there.

Or it could retcon out some of Rey's backstory to reveal she is Luke's daughter somehow, or resurrect Ben...
    Like action, adventure, rogues, and outlaws? Like anti-heroes, femme fatales, mysteries and thrillers?

I wrote a book with them. Outlaw’s Shadow: A Sherwood Noir. Robin Hood’s evil counterpart, Guy of Gisbourne, is the main character. Feel free to give it a look: https://read.amazon.com/kp/embed?asi...E2PKBNJFH76GQP

"Watchmen" was awesome.

I look forward to see what he wants to do with the SW universe.

Sui Generis Member Tobei Miyake's Avatar

The latest casting rumor on Damon Lindelof's Star Wars movie:

Another week, another Jeff Sneider tidbit regarding the upcoming untitled Star Wars film being written by Watchmen's Damon Lindelof. On the latest episode of Jeff Sneider and John Rocha's podcast, The Hot Mic, Sneider was asked by the chat if he knew where Damon Lindelof's Star Wars project was set to film, to which Sneider said he had "no idea", and followed up with clarification regarding what gender the lead in the movie is following confusion from a couple weeks ago. As for what it's worth, I believe the project will once again film in the United Kingdom. Previously Sneider revealed on The Hot Mic that Lindelof and Lucasfilm had cast a male person of colour in the lead role, and that this actor had success bouncing between both television and film roles. Less than twenty four hours later, Sneider took to Twitter after a second source reached out and told him that the lead is actually a female POC, before mere hours later revealing the original source is standing by the lead being a male actor of colour.

"I do think I sussed it out. I said it was a man, right? Then somebody reached out and said 'nah, it's actually a woman', then the original source came back and said 'trust me, it's a man.' The truth is that it's both. There's two POC leads. There's one man and one woman, but the man has a little bit of a bigger role than the woman. That's why I was hearing it's a female POC lead – it's two. As far as the names go, I haven't heard anything, but there was somebody though."
    Many fans began to speculate before Sneider's clarification that there'd be more than one lead, and this led to the confusion. Just looking back at Star Wars: The Force Awakens, Daisy Ridley and John Boyega were both cast as the leads of the film, with Ridley being the true lead, and Boyega later getting a more supportive role as the trilogy went on.

Little is known about the Damon Lindelof project, but the film is supposedly slated to film by the Summer of this year, hence why the movie has already cast its two leads.

Lindelof is co-writing the flick with Justin Britt-Gibson (Into the Badlands) with Sharmeen Obaid-Chinoy (Ms. Marvel) onboard to direct.

The film is expected to be released on December 19th, 2025 and is rumoured to be formally announced at Star Wars Celebration which takes place in London in just under three months time.
    "This is getting out of hand! Now, there are two of them."

There's a Star Wars quote for everything in life.

No, this sounds really cool. I'm just so happy that they're moving forward and showing what happens next.

As much as I enjoy Andor, I have grown tired of Star Wars TV shows that fill in the blanks of what happened in the past.

Now with them going forward again, I'm really excited for Celebration this year -- April 7th thru the 10th.

Also, having both a male and female lead sounds great. Both rumored to be POC's is great. Both instances are something different than what we've had before.

So something new, and if either one of them are Jedi (or if both of them are), maybe they'll be a different kind of Jedi than we've seen before. A different kind of Force-user.

Exciting times ahead.

I want to be excited, but for one thing I loved both Lost and Watchmen until I didn't the Dr. Manhattan reveal ruined Watchmen for me.

Lindelof is the Frank Reynolds of Showrunners to me he ends up shitting the bed.

s3e62lcm7gc51.jpg

Somehow, Rey Palpatine has returned. Naw just kidding. At this point they need to cut their losses and just reboot the original trilogy. That was always Disney's plan they just didn't think that they would have to do it so soon.
    Last edited by Anthony W; 02-12-2023 at 05:23 PM.

Mighty Member

LOL. nope.

if Lindelof is involved I am definitely not watching it.

I acknowledge that the man is an accomplished and successful creator. I just hate his stuff.