Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    Extraordinary Member thwhtGuardian's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Brian B View Post
    Well, we’ll see about that, won’t we. Neither you or I can see the future. But this hypothesis is very testable. We will find out if Gunn is allowed to finish.
    ...it's already finished.
    Looking for a friendly place to discuss comic books? Try The Classic Comics Forum!

Quote Originally Posted by signalman112 View Post
    Feige responses to the James Gunn news.

Feige is the consummate professional. I would expect nothing less than that statement from him.

Feige does not necessarily have the final say in such a matter, though. May is a long time away.

For an example of recent things Disney has done that Feige has no control over, see how Disney handled Scarlet Johannson and Black Widow’s release. Then there was Disney’s response to Florida’s “Don’t Say Gay” bill.

I fully expect the Holiday Special to be released with no issues and proper, professional promotion.

Quote Originally Posted by thwhtGuardian View Post
    ...it's already finished.
    Except it is not, as Feige is quoted as saying in that YouTube clip that was shared.

Feige is the consummate professional. I would expect nothing less than that statement from him.

Feige does not necessarily have the final say in such a matter, though. May is a long time away.

For an example of recent things Disney has done that Feige has no control over, see how Disney handled Scarlet Johannson and Black Widow’s release. Then there was Disney’s response to Florida’s “Don’t Say Gay” bill.

I fully expect the Holiday Special to be released with no issues and proper, professional promotion.
    The Black Widow thing was a contractual thing and the Florida bill has nothing to do with Marvel Studios. I'm not sure why you're choosing this hill?

Quote Originally Posted by 80sbaby View Post
    The Black Widow thing was a contractual thing and the Florida bill has nothing to do with Marvel Studios. I'm not sure why you're choosing this hill?
    The Black Widow “thing” was Disney breaking a contract with basically the most powerful and well-paid actress in Hollywood. It shows you Disney is willing to break contracts if it suits their larger corporate interests.

The Florida Bill has everything to do with the boardroom and the C-level executive suite trying to thread a needle that they want nothing to do with and failing. This illustrates Disney does not always handle things so well.

I’m not “dying” on any hill. I am expressing my opinion that I don’t believe Guardians 3 is going to have a smooth rollout with Gunn at the helm. Contrary to what many are expressing here, the film is not complete, as Feige himself said in that YouTube clip. Everyone keeps saying I am wrong, and maybe I am. But no one will factually know that until May.

I guess I'm just not sure how you can reach that conclusion? The logic you're using only works if you ignore the actual time table of things. Like if businesses worked like you seem to think then Gunn would never have been offered the position with DC to begin with, as it looks like they need a "Marvel guy" to fix their issues.

If Gunn's name is going to be on the picture then why fire him?

To reshoot as I pointed out would delay the film, cost millions, piss of Feige, the Cast, and Fans, and again just make Disney look petty.

If they try to release the film without his name and no changes that violates the Director's Guild Rules and if they did that the Guild would boycott Disney which means 90% of Directors couldn't work for Disney because they're Guild Members.

Also this idea that Disney wouldn't want to "promote" their rival is misguided. This isn't oh no we needed the head of DC to save make our movie. This is DC needed our guy who we put on the map to save their butts while we still have arguably the greatest producer of all time run the show.
    Last edited by Jokerz79; 10-28-2022 at 07:02 AM.

Astonishing Member

The Black Widow “thing” was Disney breaking a contract with basically the most powerful and well-paid actress in Hollywood. It shows you Disney is willing to break contracts if it suits their larger corporate interests.

The Florida Bill has everything to do with the boardroom and the C-level executive suite trying to thread a needle that they want nothing to do with and failing. This illustrates Disney does not always handle things so well.

I’m not “dying” on any hill. I am expressing my opinion that I don’t believe Guardians 3 is going to have a smooth rollout with Gunn at the helm. Contrary to what many are expressing here, the film is not complete, as Feige himself said in that YouTube clip. Everyone keeps saying I am wrong, and maybe I am. But no one will factually know that until May.
    That's a very good point. I think as of today, there is a 0% chance Scarlet Johansson or Florida Governor Ron DeSantis will finish any work on Guardians 3.

Of course that has f*ck all to do with James Gunn, who is totally and completely going to finish all work and promotion for GotG 3.

I guess I'm just not sure how you can reach that conclusion? The logic you're using only works if you ignore the actual time table of things. Like if businesses worked like you seem to think then Gunn would never have been offered the position with DC to begin with, as it looks like they need a "Marvel guy" to fix their issues.
    No, that DC example shows me business works as I would expect it to work.

Large, publicly traded corporations are all about Wall St. The stock price in big, publicly traded corporations is god. Contracts, laws and even ethics are inferior to the almighty buck. Executive compensation is all based on revenue growth which pumps up the stock price if growth forecasts are met. Stock options granted as executive compensation are how the executives make their fortunes. Their fortunes rise and fall with the stock price. The stock price is mostly determined by large, institutional investors, not small investors, like maybe you and I.

Warner Discovery has lost half its monetary value as a publicly traded company since Zaslav took over and created Warner Discovery. Warner Discovery was worth more than $60 billion when it was formed and Zaslav began his reign. Warner Discovery is today worth only $30 billion. Zaslav has lost $30 billion in investor money in less than a year. That’s a big problem. Shareholders are lining up for the class action lawsuits against Warner Discovery and its executive team right now.

A small part, not the only part, but a part of that valuation problem is Zaslav and seemingly no one at DC could figure out how to build a reliable, money-making Hollywood franchise out of the DC properties, like Disney has done with Marvel. Zaslav needed his own Feige. It makes total sense that Wall St. would reward Warner Discovery for “stealing” a Marvel director and producer, or sometime Marvel director and producer, to right DC’s sinking ship.

Presto! Zaslav hires Gunn. It does not hurt DC at all. It helps DC. It helps Warner Discovery. Warner Discovery’s stock price is up more than 3% this week, at this moment. That’s almost a billion added to Warner Discovery’s market capitalization. (Only $29 billion more to go and Zaslav has broken even. )

Now, flip that script. At this point, Gunn leaving Marvel has had no effect on Disney’s stock price as near as I can tell. But in the future, if it is perceived that Marvel has a dependency on Gunn and he’s leaving, or even a perception of that, then it could negatively affect Disney’s stock prices or just create worry among the executives that it will negatively affect stock price. I believe in the future that perception will be out there. I think due to that, it will be untenable to just have Gunn continue to man Marvel’s big Guardians franchise within its larger Marvel franchise up until May.

No one knows the future, but I think Gunn will be replaced or there will be big chaos around the Guardians release in May. We’ll all see how it shakes out in the fairly near future, about 7 months away.
    Last edited by Brian B; 10-28-2022 at 08:36 AM.

Large, publicly traded corporations are all about Wall St. The stock price in big, publicly traded corporations is god. Contracts, laws and even ethics are inferior to the almighty buck. Executive compensation is all based on revenue growth which pumps up the stock price if growth forecasts are met. Stock options granted as executive compensation are how the executives make their fortunes. Their fortunes rise and fall with the stock price. The stock price is mostly determined by large, institutional investors, not small investors, like maybe you and I.

Warner Discovery has lost half its monetary value as a publicly traded company since Zaslav took over and created Warner Discovery. Warner Discovery was worth more than $60 billion when it was formed and Zaslav began his reign. Warner Discovery is today worth only $30 billion. Zaslav has lost $30 billion in investor money in less than a year. That’s a big problem. Shareholders are lining up for the class action lawsuits against Warner Discovery and its executive team right now.

A small part, not the only part, but a part of that valuation problem is Zaslav and seemingly no one at DC could figure out how to build a reliable, money-making Hollywood franchise out of the DC properties, like Disney has done with Marvel. Zaslav needed his own Feige. It makes total sense that Wall St. would reward Warner Discovery for “stealing” a Marvel director and producer, or sometime Marvel director and producer, to right DC’s sinking ship.

Presto! Zaslav hires Gunn. It does not hurt DC at all. It helps DC. It helps Warner Discovery. Warner Discovery’s stock price is up more than 3% this week, at this moment. That’s almost a billion added to Warner Discovery’s market capitalization. (Only $29 billion more to go and Zaslav has broken even. )

Now, flip that script. At this point, Gunn leaving Marvel has had no effect on Disney’s stock price as near as I can tell. But in the future, if it is perceived that Marvel has a dependency on Gunn and he’s leaving, or even a perception of that, then it could negatively affect Disney’s stock prices or just create worry among the executives that it will negatively affect stock price. I believe in the future that perception will be out there. I think due to that, it will be untenable to just have Gunn continue to man one of Marvel’s big Guardians franchise within its larger Marvel franchise up until May.

No one knows the future, but I think Gunn will be replaced or there will be big chaos around the Guardians release in May. We’ll all see how it shakes out in the fairly near future, about 7 months away.
    There is nothing to man the film is DONE. All he has to do is ok the final edit, go to the Premiere, and do some interviews where I guarantee you if asked about DC he'll probably "Today is about Guardians and I'll talk about DC later". The only way there is chaos if they fire him.

Incredible Member

Marvel has no dependency on James Gunn beyond GOTG 3. Which was going to be his last movie with Marvel anyway.

Marvel and Gunn have cut ties before. They both survived. This time will be no different, in fact this time seems much less chaotic. I guess some people just like to imagine drama where there is none.

Now, flip that script. At this point, Gunn leaving Marvel has had no effect on Disney’s stock price as near as I can tell. But in the future, if it is perceived that Marvel has a dependency on Gunn and he’s leaving, or even a perception of that, then it could negatively affect Disney’s stock prices or just create worry among the executives that it will negatively affect stock price. I believe in the future that perception will be out there. I think due to that, it will be untenable to just have Gunn continue to man one of Marvel’s big Guardians franchise within its larger Marvel franchise up until May.

Your whole theory falls apart because there's absolutely no reason to think Marvel is dependent on Gunn. He's only directed one franchise (and not even the most popular/lucrative one.) This entire post is insane lol

Retired

All I can think of is Peter Gunn. When those two walk in a room, they should always have the Peter Gunn theme playing, like a boss.

Your whole theory falls apart because there's absolutely no reason to think Marvel is dependent on Gunn. He's only directed one franchise (and not even the most popular/lucrative one.) This entire post is insane lol
    I love Gunn and the Guardians hell I loved The Suicide Squad even more and I'm happy he got to come back and finish the Guardians trilogy. But let's be honestly if Feige had to say "Hey Taika can you do Guardians 3?" it wouldn't had been a tragedy. At the end of the day Gunn was IMO replaceable in his own franchise.

Quote Originally Posted by Jokerz79 View Post
    I love Gunn and the Guardians hell I loved The Suicide Squad even more and I'm happy he got to come back and finish the Guardians trilogy. But let's be honestly if Feige had to say "Hey Taika can you do Guardians 3?" it wouldn't had been a tragedy. At the end of the day Gunn was IMO replaceable in his own franchise.
    Exactly. If this were the Russo's then you might make the argument. Even then it'd be a stretch as plenty of non-Russo MCU directed films have been very successful.