Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

It's not even close. We've definitely dropped a tier or three since Hickman left but it is still so much better than Gold/Red/Blue that preceded this. That's not to say that era was the worst either, but I think a majority would agree we're better off now. I think Austen still holds the title for poorest reception. The biggest issue with this era is story lines that were HUGE at the start that still aren't playing out. It looks like we're finally getting CoTV which is amazing, but we still need Orchis/Nimrod to play out as well as Phalanx/Dominions.

Also I didn't watch the video so if that stuff is covered in the video, sorry for repeating.
    You brought back Wolverine

The CBR Community Standards a.k.a how to get along.

Quote Originally Posted by Krakoa View Post
    Are you the same person who posted this exact thing on Reddit? No, this is not the worst X-Men era or close. Regardless of what you think of it I don't know how you could argue it's the worst.
    I don't use Reddit so no, i am not. Also i am not arguing, i am asking the public, there's a difference.

From what I saw, I didn’t recognize the characters I liked. It’s just a no. No need to go in the details. So I cannot have a well-argued opinion about this era: I’m not that a masochist.

I guess that it must be the case for all the readers, if they read it, that means they like it.
    “Strength is the lot of but a few privileged men; but austere perseverance, harsh and continuous, may be employed by the smallest of us and rarely fails of its purpose, for its silent power grows irresistibly greater with time.” Goethe

Quote Originally Posted by Saithor View Post
    No love for the actual worse era of the X-men? What does Chuck Austen have to do to make you acknowledge his truly awful run?
    Was Austen enought to tarnish that whole era ? He wasn't on the flagship at the time was he ?
    I don't exactly remember what was the flagship of the era though.

It's overhyped but it's not even close.

see beauty in all things. charliehustle415's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Hulkout42 View Post
    So i recently watched this video on YT:

And i do feel they raise some interesting points as i do feel that they have left some plot points unresolved, the resurrection takes away any threat and no stakes at all and finally they are again overboard with events that don't matter at the end of it all.

What do you all think? Is this the worst era ever? or is it not as bad as it seems?
    nah not even close.

I mean I'm still salty for Hickman leaving, but he books still have a cohesion that the line didn't have for a long time; moreover, the mutants are finally back in pride of place after nearly a decade of being sidelined because of corporate bullshit.

I agree with many of the issues raised in the video but I don't particularly like the way they're presented. The speakers should at least have some respect for the creators they're criticising.

I have significant issues with the Krakoan era but I don't think it's the worst era. Chuck Austen and the IvX eras are probably the main contesters for that. Krakoa has brought some interesting new ideas, spotlights for some overlooked characters like Synch and Cypher, and most of all, I would give it credit for refreshing a line that had nearly been killed by IvX and subsequent events.

However, I would say it's probably the most disappointing era for me personally. The sense of excitement I had at the end of House of X and Powers of X has never been fulfilled or reached again and I think it's heavily undermined by weak/lacking characterisation from the outset - plus some strange creative choices that have come across like bad fan fiction. There is a real sense now that the whole line is treading water because Hickman's plan was scrapped (or at least postponed).

Did we completely forget about the previous one? That's complete nonsense.
    Reading List (Super behind but reading them nonetheless):
    DC: Currently figuring that out
    Marvel: Read above
    Image: Killadelphia, Nightmare Blog
    Other: The Antagonist, Something is Killing the Children, Avatar: TLAB
    Manga: My Hero Academia, MHA: Vigilanties, Soul Eater: the Perfect Edition, Berserk, Hunter X Hunter, Witch Hat Atelier, Kaiju No. 8

Fantastic Member

Quote Originally Posted by ChronoRogue View Post
    Not the worst era but do feel it's overhyped at times. It definitely has it's positive but it also feels like it's hit a slump in terms of movement or development. Feels a bit like it's spinning it's wheels at this time.

Also as usual, the amount of events the line gets drawn into is draining. AXE has really been a disappointment.
    I’m of the opinion that Krakoa really is the best thing to happen to the X-men since Giant Size, or the Mutant Massacre (an equally big turning point not in the cast, but the tone and direction of the whole line and the second big pivot). Both pivots had its critics. In that sense, nothing changes.

That said, I also finished Judgment Day just now and won’t spoil anything, except Gillen did a remarkable job with a story that was marketed incorrectly. It would have been an amazing “crossover” a la the 90s understanding of it. With all the one-shots and the meandering, it did not make a great event. That’s on marketing, not Gillen or Ewing — as “events” go they delivered some exceptional storytelling and character studies.

It did incredible things for both Jean and Magneto and set so many future plot points up more organically than “See? I have a Master Plan. IT’s A PLOT POINT” Hickman’s heavyhandedness.
    Last edited by MythicalChicken; 10-26-2022 at 05:00 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Wolverine12 View Post
    It's not even close. We've definitely dropped a tier or three since Hickman left but it is still so much better than Gold/Red/Blue that preceded this. That's not to say that era was the worst either, but I think a majority would agree we're better off now. I think Austen still holds the title for poorest reception. The biggest issue with this era is story lines that were HUGE at the start that still aren't playing out. It looks like we're finally getting CoTV which is amazing, but we still need Orchis/Nimrod to play out as well as Phalanx/Dominions.

Also I didn't watch the video so if that stuff is covered in the video, sorry for repeating.
    This pretty much sums up how I feel. The Krakoa era has been one of my favorite eras and there continues to be great potential and possibilities built-in. I think the creatives could be taking even more advantage of the potential that's in front of them but all in all I'm very happy.

Today's Judgment Day conclusion has changed things quite a bit as revealed at the end. I'm unable to write up a review thread today but I'm happy to throw in some scans if someone wants to tackle it. Onwards!
    "Danielle... I intend to do something rash and violent." - Betsy Braddock
    Krakoa, Arakko, and Otherworld forever!

No. This is one of the best era in decades. The worst era was arguably the late 90s or the Terrigan era

Quote Originally Posted by Saithor View Post
    No love for the actual worse era of the X-men? What does Chuck Austen have to do to make you acknowledge his truly awful run?
    While Austen wasnt a good writer, the era in which he wrote was far from the worst era. You cant discount New X-men, which is what Austen's run fell under. The line was overall strong and on an upsurge

Fantastic Member Ulysian_Thracs's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Wolverine12 View Post

Why can't you both be right? I think that dude's criticisms mostly valid, and I've made several myself here, particularly about the lack of stakes/jeapordy and the shoddy writing refusing to go past surface depth plots and leaving plot threads dangling in the ether.

But this is still definitely NOT the worst era. That's a pretty low bar to trip over.
    I'm not totally useless. I can always be used as a bad example...

Extraordinary Member Omega Alpha's Avatar

Anyone who SERIOUSLY think that wasn't following X-men even one month before House of X. Only a lunatic would look at Rosenberg's run or the Terrigen Era, and say "Yes, more of that please instead of Krakoa! PLEASE!".

Astonishing Member

The following is completely based on personal bias and opinion.

I wouldn't say it's the worst. To me it's just a continuation of mishandling the X-men franchise by moving away from what was established as their pop culture image and state of things (meaning what is generaly loved about them and thought of) via constant status quos that just build on the failures of the previous one.

The moment Hickman essentialy played fast and lose with their legacy and history via the Moira MacTaggert retcon, magically snapped the "super duper perfect high culture island nation of Krakoa" into existence out of thin air via additional retcons, made all X-men heros (except the obligatory grumpy Wolverine moment) unquestionable and downright fanatically loyal and on board with everything, created a narrative system in which most characters are reduced to nothing but "powers as the plot demands" functions that can be drawn and discarded at the writers leisure and broke the inofficial rule that while all heros/villains can magically come back from the dead it shouldn't be presented as easy (by introducing an in universe mass cloning system) i was allready far past buying into the hype.

Basicly a lot of what made people praise HOX/POX allready made be suspicious of the value of this brave new world. Made worse by the firm feeling that Hickman was not planning a new "golden age" for the X-men, but writing an elaborate "Rise and Fall of a super powered society" storyline (which now makes me feel like listening to The Rise and Fall of Ziggy Stardust), which was basicly his "The City" concept from the ultimate universe repeated with the mutants and drawn out over 3 years. He even gave Xavier a creepy The Maker style helmet and black skinsuit look.

Also the happy party with fireworks at the end of the duo-mini series was quite a red flag that things would not end well.

So to me it was just going to be 3 years of seeing the X-men and mutants get twisted into becomming an inhuman bee hive style society of super people, then they get fooled into joining a dominion so it can overcome it's few weaknesses like the Phoenix Force and Galactus, only for one of the main character (likely Wolverine...) mentaly traveling back in time or starting a new timeline ala Moira X herself and reverse everything.
    Which is what i got from the "putting all the toys back into the box" comment.

While that might have made a compelling story in isolation, it certainly wouldn't have felt like the fresh start the X-men needed after over 15 years of terrible status quos, meaning fans would have just gotten fooled into having false hopes for their beloved but battered franchise.

Though in all of this i found at least some interest in trying to figure out how Hickman would be doing that, how the plot lines would be resolved and if there wasn't at least some suprise twists still comming.

But the moment the architect left and the remaining writers seemingly trying to perpetuate the stage 1, which was never meant to be a proper foundation to anything lasting, while moving into a stage 1B i lost even that interest.

However i was still willing to give the whole new status quo the benefit of a doubt, seeing how there was still potential to explore elements of culture, society and world building. At least if the writers can discard the super hero story telling mentality or setup and embrace using full blown different genres, since they clearly didn't used the X-men as real super heros anymore, while showcasing the many facettes of this new world of mutants.

Alas. Instead they still kept using super hero story telling and setups with all it's weaknesses (including making the heros stupid and forget their own tools, just so the villains can have any chance at all) and often badly too, but without delivering super hero feeling stories anymore.

So i'm not even disappointed in the status quo itself, but that most of the writers are wasting even the story telling potential i still see in it, even if i might not like it.

It's like not being mad your bike got stolen, but that the thieves cut off the lamp post to do so.

TlDr:
    I think the last 22 years total had been one continuous "worst X-men era" and we are still not out of it, which was only occasionaly made more bearable by a handfull of good runs or series.

All in a time when the classic publishing and creation system of the big two, with a focus on collectors, seem to be crumbling appart under diminishing returns and general consumer apathy.
    Last edited by Grunty; 10-26-2022 at 06:15 AM.

Fantastic Member

Quote Originally Posted by Ulysian_Thracs View Post
    Why can't you both be right? I think that dude's criticisms mostly valid, and I've made several myself here, particularly about the lack of stakes/jeapordy and the shoddy writing refusing to go past surface depth plots and leaving plot threads dangling in the ether.

But this is still definitely NOT the worst era. That's a pretty low bar to trip over.
    Because it doesn’t resolve everything brought up right away, it’s a Dangling Plot?

Maybe I’m still conditioned to near-decade long plot points in Claremont era, lol, so I personally find it refreshing not every plot-point brought up gets resolved in the space of one trade paperback.