Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

For me, this is one of the best eras to be honest. The books are cohesive with each other, the "X-slack" is really something to be appreciated. Also, they don't feel like random X-men groups in different books just for the sake of it. And Marvel has picked very good artists for the books while in other eras it seemed like we got what was available...

Sure, there are some books that are not good (Marauders, X-Force) but are some really amazing ones (Immortal X-men, X-men Red, Legion of X for me). And the line feels like it has a direction. It has problems, but I don't see many other eras with such good books like we have now.

Quote Originally Posted by Havok83 View Post
    thats like multiple eras:

AVX
    Bendis
    Terrigan/IVX
    Regenesis/Dissassembled
    I would say that it could be counted as the Extinction era, though. But yeah, Utopia, Schism, IvX and Regenesis were probably good divisions. I would maybe fuse the last two but I stopped reading the comics by then.
    We're still in the Krakoa era here. Maybe if Krakoa stays for more years we could divide it in Hickman and post-hickman but we'll see what Fall of X does.

if thinking critical believes that this is the worst xmen era then for sure this must in all actuality be one of the best eras
    Emma is the opposite of a devourer
    She's A Lifebringer

Quote Originally Posted by Diammandis View Post
    if thinking critical believes that this is the worst xmen era then for sure this must in all actuality be one of the best eras
    Exactly what I was thinking.

Quote Originally Posted by Wolverine12 View Post
    It's not even close. We've definitely dropped a tier or three since Hickman left but it is still so much better than Gold/Red/Blue that preceded this. That's not to say that era was the worst either, but I think a majority would agree we're better off now. I think Austen still holds the title for poorest reception. The biggest issue with this era is story lines that were HUGE at the start that still aren't playing out. It looks like we're finally getting CoTV which is amazing, but we still need Orchis/Nimrod to play out as well as Phalanx/Dominions.

Also I didn't watch the video so if that stuff is covered in the video, sorry for repeating.
    I still don't get the "we've dropped since Hickman left" thing. Red and Immortal are better than anything Hickman put out since HoXPoX and everything else is basically the same. Dawn of X vs. Destiny is hard but Destiny is leagues above Reign.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Krakoa View Post
    I still don't get the "we've dropped since Hickman left" thing. Red and Immortal are better than anything Hickman put out since HoXPoX and everything else is basically the same. Dawn of X vs. Destiny is hard but Destiny is leagues above Reign.
    The only thing that’s been dropped is some of Hickman’s plot threads. Ewing and Gillen are doing fine. Most the rest have been there since the start. Except LaValle who is also really good despite the conniptions he might cause for the fandom

People have short memories or just criticize for criticizing what seems to be the norm these days.

Krakoa was not perfect but just thinking about going back to school or extinction makes me want to leave the X-men for good.

I just can't read anything similar to Extraordinary X-men , IvX, AvX, Schism or Decimation again.

The problem is that people just can't move on or try something different but maybe that's the point of comics.

Anyway if it's up to me Krakoa could stay for the next 3 years.

Extraordinary Member Master of Sound's Avatar

Not the worst era at all. Remember Bendis?
    "COURAGE, DON'T YOU DARE LET ME DOWN"
    ==================================================
    ==================================================

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Master of Sound View Post
    I think Bendis is trash (Not even with the X-men or DC, he ruined the Avengers for me by doing his best to crap all over Busiek’s run then turned them to street level because that’s all he would write at the time and then made the most overrated villain of Marvel. Fuck the hood. Props to writers since for pointing out what overhyped garbage he was), but no, I’d argue Austen was worse. Yes there were other good X-books made at the same time, but come on…Nightcrawler Pope

No. That goes to the previous era from AvX to HoX.

Second worst is the post Zero Tolerance/Seagle & Kelly run till Morrison's New X-Men.

Third worse is the original run till the ANAD team debuted.

All runs have issues. This era needs to go back to focusing on world building and politics over basic Avengers type stuff. But compared to many runs this is great, although dwindling post Hickman.
    I was trying to do too much and not doing any of it as well as I could. But I've had a change of mind... though not everyone shall enjoy it. I will.

#midnightermonday #uglystepchildren #lolgbtcomedyshow

Tumblr: http://newmutantmayhem.tumblr.com/

IG: https://www.instagram.com/ginger_drew/

The Krakoa era is enjoyable, especially since it doesn't have a depressing extinction cloud hanging over the mutants, but it hasn't maintained the drama, high stakes, and high concepts of the original miniseries.

The sci-fi elements Hickman introduced were thought-provoking but have we heard anything about that since? Has Broo (and by extension Krakoa) controlling trillions of Brood been touched on since? Real questions since I haven't been following every book? What have we gotten instead? Warren and Monet 'running' a business? The New Mutants and Excalibur doing 'whatever'?
    Quote Originally Posted by The General, JLA #38
    'Why?' Just to see the disappointment on your corn-fed, gee-whiz face, Superman. And because a great dark voice on the edge of nothing spoke to me and said you all had to die. There is no 'Why?'

Quote Originally Posted by Nicoclaws View Post
    I would say that it could be counted as the Extinction era, though. But yeah, Utopia, Schism, IvX and Regenesis were probably good divisions. I would maybe fuse the last two but I stopped reading the comics by then.
    We're still in the Krakoa era here. Maybe if Krakoa stays for more years we could divide it in Hickman and post-hickman but we'll see what Fall of X does.
    IVX definitely shouldnt be fused with Regenesis. The entire line had the Terrigen Mist as the backdrop for the stories that were told and that ended with IVX. X-men Prime served as a good reseting point which ushered in the new books (Gold, Blue, Gen X, etc...) and there was a back to basics approach

Quote Originally Posted by Master of Sound View Post
    Nah, I enjoyed Bendis

Extraordinary Member

The Last Will and Testament of Charles Xavier was a dumpster fire, but outside of that I find the Bendis run on Uncanny to be quite enjoyable to reread.

The terrigen and Gold eras are interesting because their primary problems were so different. The primary problem with Extraordinary was the terrible editorial mandates like the repeat of the no more mutants storyarc, fight with the Inhumans, and 'Cyclops is Hitler' thing they had going on. The primary problem with Gold was that Guggenheim was just a terrible writer whose work has more in common with bad fanfiction than good comic writers, and it seemed like the editors went to the opposite extreme and gave him too much freedom. None of the current writers are as bad as Guggenheim, but the editors don't seem to be doing their jobs in ensuring quality control and occasionally saying 'no' or 'this can be better.'

So many ways to define eras. I use a very broad stroke. With that, here are the best in my opinion…

1) original Claremont
    2) HoX/PoX and beyond
    “Generally, one knows me before hating me” -Quicksilver

Quote Originally Posted by Krakoa View Post
    I’ll give you Red has been outstanding, Immortal has had 1 or 2 issues I found lackluster but overall it’s solid. I think the quality of Percy, Alya and Howard all dropped over the years. Percy dropped really far with X-force (although I do think he has rebounded a bit recently) but his Wolverine title remains one of the best. Howard has dropped some but not much and Ayla just wasn’t consistent enough.
    You brought back Wolverine

The CBR Community Standards a.k.a how to get along.