Astonishing Member

Default Your ideas for a potential "X-men Anatomy: A Scientific Study of the Mutants"

So "Marvel Anatomy: A Scientific Study of the Superhuman" comes out today and no spoilers, but seems some are allready either disappointed how their favorits were analysed and presented or would have wished other X-men character ended up being examinded/presented too or instead.

But why not use these feelings and get creative?

Take a X-men character, even better if not allready examinded in high detail in past X-men books or the above mentioned book and present a pseudo-scientific examination of their super powers via in universe characters like Beast, Doctor Nemesis, Kavita Rao, Cecilia Reyes, Mister Sinister, (the real) Moira MacTaggert, or experts from the wider marvel universe.

Have fun.

I don't even begin to know how to explain how turning off Kurt's mutant powers could completely change his appearance to a baseline human, so not sure I can explain any of the other mad **** that happens in these books either lol.

Cable’s was really good. I thought Wolverine’s was kind of uninspired and boring and could’ve been much, much better. They could’ve delved more into his training and brainwashing at the hands of Weapon X, how is mind works when it goes into “berserker rage” mode (i.e., his mental acuity accelerates and he’s actually highly strategic in this mode despite it appearing to be mindless brutality), and so on and so forth.
    “Not as good as I once was… but I’m as good, once, as I ever was.”

Something just came out and people on this form are already disappointed with how their favorites were used? I could never have predicted that one!

can't say I am disappointed as I really was not interested in the book at all in the first place but if I were to make some changes to it, I def would have added characters like Glob Herman, Anole, and Mercury, characters who have a unique physiology, Emma Frost and Cable are also choices I would have made as well
    Emma is the opposite of a devourer
    She's A Lifebringer

Quote Originally Posted by Diammandis View Post
    can't say I am disappointed as I really was not interested in the book at all in the first place but if I were to make some changes to it, I def would have added characters like Glob Herman, Anole, and Mercury, characters who have a unique physiology, Emma Frost and Cable are also choices I would have made as well
    Cable is in there. His entry is quite cool and you can see it in his appreciation thread, thanks to Mercury sharing the pages.
    “Not as good as I once was… but I’m as good, once, as I ever was.”

Quote Originally Posted by Jackraow21 View Post
    Cable is in there. His entry is quite cool and you can see it in his appreciation thread, thanks to Mercury sharing the pages.
    oh well that's good to here, I'm interested to see how they depict his TO virus
    Emma is the opposite of a devourer
    She's A Lifebringer

I was thinking about this and I would like to see either 1) more mixed character powers books (like this issue) or 2) powers-specific books. But instead of just Mutants, I would love to see all of the characters in the MU comics covered, since there is often unique attributes to them.

The mixed books would leave it to chance which characters are chosen by Marvel.

While the Powers-Specific books should include all major characters in that category (such as Magic, Super-strength, Psychics, etc), it would leave out all other type characters that do not fit into that criteria. And of course, perhaps some "Miscellaneous" category books too.
    [Quote Originally Posted by Thor-El 10-15-2020 12:32 PM]

"Jason Aaron should know there is already a winner of the Phoenix Force and his name is Phoenixx9."

Like a Red Dragon, The Phoenix shall Soar in 2024!

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Diammandis View Post
    Mercury, Colossus, Emma, Iceman and Rockslide all intrigue me, since their forms are no longer flesh and blood in their transformed states, and I remember it being interesting back in the 80s when Riptide put a bunch of holes in Colossus and energy was leaking out, since he apparently has energy in place of blood, when he's in his metal state?

And yeah, mutants with primarily physiological changes, like Anole, also could be interesting. How 'lizard-like' are his abilities? Some, like clinging to walls, could use similar mechanics, but others, like his ability to 'chameleon' to the point of being almost effectively invisible, seem likely to at least partially be superhuman/psionic in nature, not just 'my skin changes colors.'

Mystique would definitely interest me as well, or more specialized shifters like Wolfsbane or Catseye.

Pure psychics like Jean, Julian, Charles, etc. least of all. Basic human body with a little nubbin in the brain that's different. Woo. I don't need a page wasted on that. Ditto elementals like Sunfire or Wind-Dancer. There's not really much physiological there. Sunfire doesn't seem to have a 'fire-producing gland' that lets him breathe fire or something. He's just got a super-power.

That all said, I'd love a Marvel Handbook style breakdown. 'Ultimate Handbook of X.' Like the ones in the 80s, full of details of past appearances and how their gear works and lots of pictures from the years (as well as a new pose-shot), not the crappier ones they've done over the last decade which have no real information about powers, usually just one picture, and some stupid bar-chart rating strength, intelligence and 'energy projection' powers on a 1 to 5 scale. Those are just crappy and disappointing. A 'Handbook' entry should be more informative than a freaking Pokemon card.
    Last edited by Sutekh; 10-28-2022 at 04:44 AM.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Sutekh View Post
    Mercury, Colossus, Emma, Iceman and Rockslide all intrigue me, since their forms are no longer flesh and blood in their transformed states, and I remember it being interesting back in the 80s when Riptide put a bunch of holes in Colossus and energy was leaking out, since he apparently has energy in place of blood, when he's in his metal state?

And yeah, mutants with primarily physiological changes, like Anole, also could be interesting. How 'lizard-like' are his abilities? Some, like clinging to walls, could use similar mechanics, but others, like his ability to 'chameleon' to the point of being almost effectively invisible, seem likely to at least partially be superhuman/psionic in nature, not just 'my skin changes colors.'

Mystique would definitely interest me as well, or more specialized shifters like Wolfsbane or Catseye.

Pure psychics like Jean, Julian, Charles, etc. least of all. Basic human body with a little nubbin in the brain that's different. Woo. I don't need a page wasted on that. Ditto elementals like Sunfire or Wind-Dancer. There's not really much physiological there. Sunfire doesn't seem to have a 'fire-producing gland' that lets him breathe fire or something. He's just got a super-power.
    So basicly the more related to natural physics, materials, phenomena or biology a super power is the more interesting and explorable they are, compared to super powers which are more akin to pure "magic" manipulation of the environment or reality?

Yeah i can understand why those seem much more appealing to explore, considering their aspects can be understood or explained by things which can be percieved in the real world, even if their function in the fictional universe is still entirely unrealistic to us.

Seems a bit similar to the still existing stylistic appeal of visualy noticable mechanic/cybernetic augmentations in science fiction works, compared to purely "nano" or "bio-tech" ones. Simply because there is a lot more visual aspects involved and the viewer can understand how they work.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Grunty View Post
    So basicly the more related to natural physics, materials, phenomena or biology a super power is the more interesting and explorable they are, compared to super powers which are more akin to pure "magic" manipulation of the environment or reality?
    Oh, I'm a huge fan of magic, in particular, but also psionics (although I'm beyond bored with Marvel's obsession with omni-telepaths, and would love to see more astral projectors and psychometrists and whatnot get some love). In the case of magic, I love the deep dives the old Marvel Handbooks went into about the different types of magic, personal, trained and invocations of extradimensional power (like the Winds of Watoomb, Images of Ikonn and Crimson Bands of Cytorrak), and wish to hell today's writers had ever read that stuff, and that today's mages used these consistent defined magical traditions and invocations, rather than just generically doing whatever handwavy thing the writer wants in one issue, and then inexplicably not being able to do the *exact* same thing in the very next issue because it's would be inconvenient to the current plot.

But when it comes to a picture book explicitly about showing off the *anatomy* of a character?

Unless the mages and psis of a setting have some sort of unique 'mana glands' or 'psi nodes' in their brains, and the 'psi nodes' are radically different for different psis, so that the psi nodes of Jean and Charles and Julian and Emma and Amahl and Betsy* and Paris would look visually distinct and interesting, then nah, this sort of book I'd want to stick to people whose mutant *anatomy* is interesting.

*Betsy would totally have purple butterfly-shaped psi nodes.

Spectacular Member

Quote Originally Posted by Grunty View Post
    So "Marvel Anatomy: A Scientific Study of the Superhuman" comes out today and no spoilers, but seems some are allready either disappointed how their favorits were analysed and presented or would have wished other X-men character ended up being examinded/presented too or instead.

But why not use these feelings and get creative?

Take a X-men character, even better if not allready examinded in high detail in past X-men books or the above mentioned book and present a pseudo-scientific examination of their super powers via in universe characters like Beast, Doctor Nemesis, Kavita Rao, Cecilia Reyes, Mister Sinister, (the real) Moira MacTaggert, or experts from the wider marvel universe.

Have fun.
    Is there a Quicksilver section in this?