Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Extraordinary Member

Default Your thoughts on Matthew Perry's remarks on Keanu Reeves

In his new book coming out in November, Matthew Perry remarks a couple of times as to why is (River Phoenix, Heath Ledger, Chris Farley) dead while Keanu Reeves still walks among the living.

As a Keanu fan, I'm not thrilled by this. Keanu seems to be a very kind human being. I hate when celebrities kick other celebrities in books. Just say it to their face in private and don't try to humiliate them in public.

Does anyone remember a falling out between Reeves and Perry, because I don't recall one?

https://www.cbr.com/matthew-perry-ra...river-phoenix/

Quote Originally Posted by caj View Post
    In his new book coming out in November, Matthew Perry remarks a couple of times as to why is (River Phoenix, Heath Ledger, Chris Farley) dead while Keanu Reeves still walks among the living.

As a Keanu fan, I'm not thrilled by this. Keanu seems to be a very kind human being. I hate when celebrities kick other celebrities in books. Just say it to their face in private and don't try to humiliate them in public.

Does anyone remember a falling out between Reeves and Perry, because I don't recall one?

https://www.cbr.com/matthew-perry-ra...river-phoenix/
    Aside from asking why Keanu and Perry himself are alive, and why Ledger and River Phoenix are not, does Perry dish on Keanu at all? I never heard anything about Keanu and drugs. Obviously, there’s professional connections and shared screen time between River Phoenix and Keanu.

I understand where Perry is coming from with why is he alive and not these others, given that the people he mentioned were more talented than Perry. But you’re right, it’s funny he brings Keanu into it. He implies Keanu wasn’t leading his best life or at least isn’t so talented. I agree, Keanu is not as talented as Heath Ledger, but it’s odd for Perry to bring that up. I get where Perry’s coming from looking at the talents that have died, and knowing Perry himself doesn’t measure up, but it’s ugly to bring up someone else who is certainly more talented than Perry and never had a public reputation for drug and alcohol abuse.

A psychologist might be able to explain why Perry has written that about Keanu, but I cannot.
    Last edited by Brian B; 10-27-2022 at 06:34 AM.

Not a Newbie Member JBatmanFan05's Avatar

Perry also recently apologized for the remark, saying he should have said his own name instead of Keanu, and said he's a fan.

Obviously, I can only buy that so much. Perry seemed to make a Freudian slip, as it were. But considering the apology, this doesn't seem like the biggest deal.

It's not like Perry is the first person to question the talent of Keanu's acting.
    Last edited by JBatmanFan05; 10-27-2022 at 06:20 AM.
    Things I love: Batman, Superman, AEW, old films, Lovecraft

Grant Morrison: “Adults...struggle desperately with fiction, demanding constantly that it conform to the rules of everyday life. Adults foolishly demand to know how Superman can possibly fly, or how Batman can possibly run a multibillion-dollar business empire during the day and fight crime at night, when the answer is obvious even to the smallest child: because it's not real.”

Extraordinary Member

I'm not going to make too much out of this, but what gets me is that this is a book.

Everyone has been at a social gathering and said something they wish they could take back. But editors had to question him on why he said this - TWICE - in a book.

The apology seems useless at this point, but at least he made one.

https://people.com/tv/matthew-perry-...alks-among-us/

When I was playing Legend of Zelda Link died. I remember dropping to my knees and yelling to the skies

"Why?! Why is Link dead and Keanu still walking around!"

So I get where Perry is coming from.
    This Post Contains No Artificial Intelligence. It Contains No Human Intelligence Either.

Quote Originally Posted by JBatmanFan05 View Post
    Perry also recently apologized for the remark, saying he should have said his own name instead of Keanu, and said he's a fan.

Obviously, I can only buy that so much. Perry seemed to make a Freudian slip, as it were. But considering the apology, this doesn't seem like the biggest deal.

It's not like Perry is the first person to question the talent of Keanu's acting.
    Thank you for the info. I went Googling for an explanation and found what you, obviously, knew.

I see he says he likes Keanu and picked him at random, as well as being sorry for writing Keanu as an example.

This is what was reported at the Hollywood Reporter.

I think Perry’s tales of his dating life from the excerpts published are pretty funny, though I imagine his former paramours might not be too happy. But most of the stories I have read present Perry as the joke, not his lady friends.

Except for Valerie Bertinelli — that whole story is awkward. But it’s still fine. Hey, Eddie had his demons he wrestled with and clearly that sort of behavior is part of the fallout from Eddie’s dysfunctional life at that point in time. No one, even Valerie, should feel too bad about it. Wolfie’s an adult. He can handle it. Valerie is a bit embarrassed. Ah, well. Bertinelli and any Van Halen family members should not get uptight about Perry and Valerie making out. It’s only rock’n’roll, and it’s hardly the craziest thing the Van Halens together or apart got up to, I’m sure.
    Last edited by Brian B; 10-27-2022 at 07:08 AM.

Extraordinary Member Captain Craig's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by JBatmanFan05 View Post
    For awhile there it looked like Keanu was going to be a 90s star and fade, then John Wick re-energized his career.
    There are a number of well loved actors who essentailly have at best the ability to play two roles on the emotional/dramatic spectrum. Some just one and yet they have long, popular careers.
    It is easy to rattle off some.

Jimmy Stewart
    John Wayne
    Clint Eastwood
    Burt Reynolds
    Arnold Schwarzenegger
    Sly Stallone
    Harrison Ford
    Bruce Willis
    Will Smith
    Sean Connery
    Tom Cruise
    Kevin Costner
    Liam Neeson
    Dwayne Johnson
    Vin Diesel
    and sure Keanu Reeves
    "Freedom is the right of all sentient beings" - Optimus Prime

Niffleheim

Quote Originally Posted by babyblob View Post
    When I was playing Legend of Zelda Link died. I remember dropping to my knees and yelling to the skies

"Why?! Why is Link dead and Keanu still walking around!"

So I get where Perry is coming from.
    I say the same things about my favourite entertainers who have died but the things they have in common with Perry is talent and addiction. So it is not Keanu's fault he built an audience and became a fan favourite even though he has no talent in comparison IMHO. The industry doesn't peddle talent it follows ticket sales or currently what Hollywood star one is related to to get one's foot in the door.
    "Dedra Meero is not just a woman in a men’s world, but a fascist in a world of fascists.” - Denise Gough

Not a Newbie Member JBatmanFan05's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Craig View Post
    There are a number of well loved actors who essentially have at best the ability to play two roles on the emotional/dramatic spectrum. Some just one and yet they have long, popular careers.
    Yea, Hollywood has well proven that you don't need to come out of the Royal Shakespeare Company to be a well-loved actor. And I think Perry simply made a Freudian slip of basically revealing that he doesn't think Keanu Reeves would, uh, have made it in the Royal Shakespeare Company like maybe a Heath Ledger might have (perhaps in another life).
    Last edited by JBatmanFan05; 10-27-2022 at 08:30 AM.
    Things I love: Batman, Superman, AEW, old films, Lovecraft

Grant Morrison: “Adults...struggle desperately with fiction, demanding constantly that it conform to the rules of everyday life. Adults foolishly demand to know how Superman can possibly fly, or how Batman can possibly run a multibillion-dollar business empire during the day and fight crime at night, when the answer is obvious even to the smallest child: because it's not real.”

Unadjusted Human on CBR SUPERECWFAN1's Avatar

When Bruiser Brody died I questioned why he was murdered and why Keanu was still walking among the living ?
    "The story so far: As usual, Ginger and I are engaged in our quest to find out what the hell is going on and save humanity from my nemesis, some bastard who is presumably responsible." - Sir Digby Chicken Caesar.
    “ Well hell just froze over. Because CM Punk is back in the WWE.” - Jcogginsa.
    “You can take the boy outta the mom’s basement, but you can’t take the mom’s basement outta the boy!” - LA Knight.
    "Revel in What You Are." Bray Wyatt.

I thought the go to was Keith Richards, or is he just used when a musician dies?

Quote Originally Posted by krazijoe View Post
    I thought the go to was Keith Richards, or is he just used when a musician dies?
    The issue with using Richards as an example is Keef has a lot of talent.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian B View Post
    The issue with using Richards as an example is Keef has a lot of talent.
    4hk8mb.jpg

Speaking of celebrities being alive and dead Matthew Perry is alive? I thought he died years ago wait silly me that was his career that died.

Extraordinary Member

ROFL - a lot of funny and entertaining comments in this thread.