Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Jokerz79 View Post
    Speaking of celebrities being alive and dead Matthew Perry is alive? I thought he died years ago wait silly me that was his career that died.
    Exactly. He probably was thinking "why is my career dead and Keanu's is not?"

Old man yelling at clouds right there.

In all truth, I enjoyed Perry's one movie that I know - "Fools Rush In" - though the stars of the movie were really Salma Hayek and the Mexican culture.
    Last edited by Scott Taylor; 10-27-2022 at 09:38 AM.
    Every day is a gift, not a given right.

For awhile there it looked like Keanu was going to be a 90s star and fade, then John Wick re-energized his career.
    Not just revitalized. Redefined. Before that, Keanu was pretty much just used as a joke when people wanted to talk about actors that couldn't act.

The defining Keanu impression was just delivering a deadpan "whoa".

Unadjusted Human on CBR SUPERECWFAN1's Avatar

Keanu's career got a big shot with the Matrix in 1999. That film really helped him take off again. A fact he bet big on the back end of the film as we know. But that film helped keep his career rolling into through the 2000's and there was maybe a stretch from the late 2000's to John Wick then.

-
    "The story so far: As usual, Ginger and I are engaged in our quest to find out what the hell is going on and save humanity from my nemesis, some bastard who is presumably responsible." - Sir Digby Chicken Caesar.
    “ Well hell just froze over. Because CM Punk is back in the WWE.” - Jcogginsa.
    “You can take the boy outta the mom’s basement, but you can’t take the mom’s basement outta the boy!” - LA Knight.
    "Revel in What You Are." Bray Wyatt.

BANNED

Not a fan of either, but the point about an editor going over it at least once is a valid one. I'm sure they had to go over any potential legal or PR hurdles that might come from sharing stories or strong opinions about other folk with a good legal team.

This seems like something planned to generate controversy, attack the beloved thing/person and sit back and watch the clicks and book sales pile up. I'm sure Keanu was given a heads-up, and his PR team probably saw the smart play was to "take the high road" and let his fans do the defending.

Not a Newbie Member JBatmanFan05's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by CSTowle View Post
    This seems like something planned to generate controversy
    It really, really does. All too familiar trend when memoirs are released. We're getting played and someone is laughing all the way to the bank.
    Last edited by JBatmanFan05; 10-27-2022 at 12:57 PM.
    Things I love: Batman, Superman, AEW, old films, Lovecraft

Grant Morrison: “Adults...struggle desperately with fiction, demanding constantly that it conform to the rules of everyday life. Adults foolishly demand to know how Superman can possibly fly, or how Batman can possibly run a multibillion-dollar business empire during the day and fight crime at night, when the answer is obvious even to the smallest child: because it's not real.”

Niffleheim

Just a few weeks ago we had Alan Rickman's estate releasing a new memoir with contents from his diary slagging off Harry Potter
    Last edited by Tofali; 10-27-2022 at 07:06 PM.
    "Dedra Meero is not just a woman in a men’s world, but a fascist in a world of fascists.” - Denise Gough

If Perry held River Pheonix in such high regard, it's not the most surprising that he'd use Keanu as a counterpoint - he either knew Keanu at some point through River or just watched "My Own Private Idaho" and thought that River was so much better than Keanu, yet River is dead and he's the worldwide movie star despite his limited acting ability. (nothing against the man, but I don't think Keanu's a good actor despite being in some very good movies)
    Last edited by j9ac9k; 10-27-2022 at 06:43 PM.

Well if Perry is implying good actors die young the good news is he'll live to be 120.

Quote Originally Posted by j9ac9k View Post
    If Perry held River Pheonix in such high regard, it's not the most surprising that he'd use Keanu as a counterpoint - he either knew Keanu at some point through River or just watched "My Own Private Idaho" and thought that River was so much better than Keanu, yet River is dead and he's the worldwide movie star despite his limited acting ability. (nothing against the man, but I don't think Keanu's a good actor despite being in some very good movies)
    Keanu and River were both good in that. Gus Van Sant is certainly one of America’s greatest living filmmakers as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian B View Post
    Keanu and River were both good in that. Gus Van Sant is certainly one of America’s greatest living filmmakers as well.
    That's your opinion, which is fine. I'm just trying to connect the dots in terms of why Perry might have chosen to single out Keanu in the way that he did, especially in comparison to Pheonix.

Quote Originally Posted by JBatmanFan05 View Post
    Perry also recently apologized for the remark, saying he should have said his own name instead of Keanu, and said he's a fan.

Obviously, I can only buy that so much. Perry seemed to make a Freudian slip, as it were. But considering the apology, this doesn't seem like the biggest deal.

It's not like Perry is the first person to question the talent of Keanu's acting.
    Questioning Reeves' talent is one thing. Implying he shouldn't be alive is another matter.

Quote Originally Posted by j9ac9k View Post
    That's your opinion, which is fine. I'm just trying to connect the dots in terms of why Perry might have chosen to single out Keanu in the way that he did, especially in comparison to Pheonix.
    I tend to think he just picked on Keanu for his supposed lack of acting abilities, but it’s not due to Idaho, which is such a heartbreaking picture. If it was because he thinks Keanu’s performance in that was lacking, then it helps to explain a lot of Perry’s life and career choices.

my thoughts were "what a dickhead". then i thought the reason keanu was still alive while river is not were obvious, which then made me feel like a dick for thinking it.

It's also easy to knock someone who's on top and considering Perry's low self-esteem, it's not surprising.

Extraordinary Member

You have to admit Keanu has picked some great (and sometimes unpredictable) films to star in. Plus, he was wise enough not to sign on for Speed 2.

But seriously, I could spend an entire weekend watching nothing but my favorite Keanu movies and feel satisfied. Perry should've picked on another actor IMO.