Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
    Extraordinary Member

Default Are you excited Henry Cavill is back playing Superman?

I am.

I think he's the best Superman since Christopher Reeve (who will probably never be topped IMO).

And it seems that Zack Snyder is pleased as well.

https://www.cbr.com/zack-snyder-cant...uperman-again/

Extraordinary Member Captain Craig's Avatar

Yes hands down this is a win!!
    "Freedom is the right of all sentient beings" - Optimus Prime

Niffleheim

There is nothing of Christopher Reeve's Superman in Henry Cavil's portrayal. I'm not excited but I'll still watch it. His superman comes off as aloof and uncaring and I wish they would stop trying to recapture past portrayals and just make their own cold uncaring alien sci-fi version.
    "Dedra Meero is not just a woman in a men’s world, but a fascist in a world of fascists.” - Denise Gough

He was good in the role, he was just given crap to work with. I look forward to seeing how he'll do with (hopefully) a better writer and director.
    Last Read: Aquaman & The Flash: Voidsong

Monthly Pull List: Alan Scott: The Green Lantern, Birds of Prey, Daredevil, Geiger, Green Arrow, Justice Ducks, Justice Society of America, Negaduck, Nightwing, Phantom Road, Shazam!, Suicide Squad: Dream Team, Thundercats, Titans

Quote Originally Posted by caj View Post
    I am.

I think he's the best Superman since Christopher Reeve (who will probably never be topped IMO).

That’s nice Zack wishes Henry well. I wonder what Snyder thinks of Gunn taking over Snyder’s cinematic universe?

Ultimate Member

I’m completely indifferent.

So far, I haven’t been a big fan of his Superman appearances but that has more to do with the movies than Cavill.

Man of Steel was a good start that could have been built upon but BvS was terrible and he literally didn’t have many lines in the movie. Same with Justice League, he didn’t really say much in the movie.

I’m hearing that he’s going to play a more “joyous” Superman in the upcoming movies and that gives me hope. The quality of the movies is much more important to me.

Not a Newbie Member JBatmanFan05's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Tofali View Post
    There is nothing of Christopher Reeve's Superman in Henry Cavil's portrayal. I'm not excited but I'll still watch it. His superman comes off as aloof and uncaring and I wish they would stop trying to recapture past portrayals and just make their own cold uncaring alien sci-fi version.
    Yeah. Henry Cavill has not much impressed me as Superman. Of course, Zach Snyder might be a large reason why.
    Things I love: Batman, Superman, AEW, old films, Lovecraft

Grant Morrison: “Adults...struggle desperately with fiction, demanding constantly that it conform to the rules of everyday life. Adults foolishly demand to know how Superman can possibly fly, or how Batman can possibly run a multibillion-dollar business empire during the day and fight crime at night, when the answer is obvious even to the smallest child: because it's not real.”

Yes, I'm definitely excited. Give him a script that allows the character to really shine.

I don’t really care. Henry Cavill is pretty wooden, IMO, as the Witcher or as Superman.

He’s one of those high-profile actors where I scratch my head and wonder why anyone is a fan. He’s stiff and boring. The best part of Man of Steel was when he snapped Zod’s neck, because it’s the only point Cavill acted in the movie. Cavill’s performance in Zod’s death scene was incredibly hammy and over acted. But it was a better performance than Cavill gave in the rest of the flick.

I kind of think DC is sticking with Cavill because he’s inoffensive and he’s already teed-up from a marketing standpoint.

In the rest of Cavill’s Superman appearances, and the same goes with his Witcher, Cavill resembles nothing so much as Pete Davidson’s Chad character on SNL — “Ok.”

Last edited by Brian B; 10-27-2022 at 08:18 AM.

I think it all depends on the execution and the the type of stories they're able to deliver with him.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Brian B View Post
    I don’t really care. Henry Cavill is pretty wooden, IMO, as the Witcher or as Superman.

He’s one of those high-profile actors where I scratch my head and wonder why anyone is a fan. He’s stiff and boring. The best part of Man of Steel was when he snapped Zod’s neck, because it’s the only point Cavill acted in the movie. Cavill’s performance in Zod’s death scene was incredibly hammy and over acted. But it was a better performance than Cavill gave in the rest of the flick.

I kind of think DC is sticking with Cavill because he’s inoffensive and he’s already teed-up from a marketing standpoint.

In the rest of Cavill’s Superman appearances, and the same goes with his Witcher, Cavill resembles nothing so much as Pete Davidson’s Chad character on SNL — “Ok.”

The Witcher and Snyder's vision of Superman are supposed to be stoic, laconic characters.

Watch Cavill in Mission Impossible: Fallout. You'll see a different side to him.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by caj View Post
    I am.

Neither Zack or Cavil draw any bloody money.

The obsession with both of them is asinine

For the stories he has been involved with, he has done great. Not sure he could do as well as an actually heroic, boy scout type of Superman. But then I am not sure DC will ever even try and do that. Everyone is Batman right now.
    Every day is a gift, not a given right.

He seems a nice enough guy and looks the part, but he hasn't really done anything that really felt like Superman yet.

Latverian ambassador Iron Maiden's Avatar

At least it will kill the click bait posts on the internet that he will be cast as Doctor Doom in the MCU