Page 4 of 11 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Saithor View Post
    That second part is based on one of the worst parts of Morrison, where he had a Holocaust survivor essentially commit the Holocaust in modern day New York.

I have criticized it well, and avoided the hole.

Looking forward to this book.
    Morrison went overboard in relation to his feelings about 9/11 and terrorism. Militant Magneto historically acts and behaves more like the leader of a rogue state not a terror group. However, that issue was very locked in early 2000s post 9/11 politics with Lorna taking the view of the Arab street vs that of the US. It led to a powerful confrontation that I would say without a doubt still stands as Lorna's best single issue.

I do believe Magneto lost too much of his edge in subsequent years and feel he is far better off kept in a broad framework where he is an X-Men foil but will certainly work with them for the betterment of mutants. The X-Men came closer to his old 90s ideology, and he moved closer to their ideology so there wasn't much day light. I actually felt both moves by the X-Men and Magneto created real problems for Lorna and her story compounded by them forgetting Genosha existed for her, but that is a digression.

In terms of this space arc it does look like it could take place pre-Judgement Day. We will know soon enough though I hope it does take place in that timeframe as it avoids obvious storytelling problems for her story.
    Last edited by jmc247; 10-29-2022 at 09:47 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by jmc247 View Post
    Morrison went overboard in relation to his feelings about 9/11 and terrorism. Militant Magneto historically acts and behaves more like the leader of a rogue state not a terror group. However, that issue was very locked in early 2000s post 9/11 politics with Lorna taking the view of the Arab street vs that of the US. It led to a powerful confrontation that I would say without a doubt still stands as Lorna's best single issue.

I do believe Magneto lost too much of his edge in subsequent years and feel he is far better off kept in a broad framework where he is an X-Men foil but will certainly work with them for the betterment of mutants. The X-Men came closer to his old 90s ideology, and he moved closer to their ideology so there wasn't much day light. I actually felt both moves by the X-Men and Magneto created real problems for Lorna and her story compounded by them forgetting Genosha existed for her, but that is a digression.

In terms of this space arc it does look like it could take place pre-Judgement Day. We will know soon enough though I hope it does take place in that timeframe as it avoids obvious storytelling problems for her story.
    I would be pretty surprised if it takes place pre-Judgement Day as the previous Cap Marvel issue was a Judgement Day tie-in.

Quote Originally Posted by PolarIceFire View Post

Jess is me, lol. Knew there was a reason she's always been one of my favorites. Art is great & overall, as eXpected... this looks AWESOME!
    Oh yeah, I am STOKED!!!

So glad to have Rogue, Gambit, and Laura back under KT's cable and actually ENJOYABLE pen. *happy dance*

Carol Danvers is far from a favorite character of mine, but I've actually been enjoying Kelly's run on Captain Marvel quite a lot and that's saying something. Having Spiderwoman involved and the rest of this cast of favorite X-Men is just icing on the cake.

I wonder if we'll get to actually see the inside of the Treehouse at all. I felt robbed the entire first year of X-Men not even seeing Rogue's room. LOL

And I for one am very glad to have Gambit in particular back under Kelly's writing. At least I know he'll be competent and funny and charming and do something useful or badass or heroic. I'm even more glad that he's got some of his very best lady pals in Laura and Lorna to help him track down Rogue and also get their overdue chance to shine a bit.

I must say I'm not big on Captain Marvel but you guys sure do a good on selling me on it

I guess I have become more selective at some point. I mean Psylocke, Gambit and Laura in the same book. That should normally be an instant slam dunk buy for me.
    "This is me being reasonable"

Astonishing Member Cyclone_Ablaze's Avatar

YAY! It's good to see Carol being friends with the X-Men again. Been a long time.

Since this is a Brood thing i'm surprised this is not a Captain Marvel & Storm Team Up because there is nobody else that HATE the Brood more than Storm and Captain Marvel.

Formerly Assassin Spider Huntsman Spider's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by AppleJ View Post
    Oh yeah, I am STOKED!!!

So glad to have Rogue, Gambit, and Laura back under KT's cable and actually ENJOYABLE pen. *happy dance*

Carol Danvers is far from a favorite character of mine, but I've actually been enjoying Kelly's run on Captain Marvel quite a lot and that's saying something. Having Spiderwoman involved and the rest of this cast of favorite X-Men is just icing on the cake.

I wonder if we'll get to actually see the inside of the Treehouse at all. I felt robbed the entire first year of X-Men not even seeing Rogue's room. LOL

And I for one am very glad to have Gambit in particular back under Kelly's writing. At least I know he'll be competent and funny and charming and do something useful or badass or heroic. I'm even more glad that he's got some of his very best lady pals in Laura and Lorna to help him track down Rogue and also get their overdue chance to shine a bit.
    I'll admit I've been reading mostly for the frequent Spider-Woman appearances, as I am a sucker for any Marvel comic with Spider-Man and/or (even loosely) related characters in it, but it has been quite enjoyable. That said, as an X-Men fan also, this should definitely be my jam.
    The spider is always on the hunt.

Astonishing Member

Please let this story be goid. I usually like KT writing, so it should be good, but you never know, so crossing my fingers…

BANNED

Beyond how the Treehouse leads to the recruitment of Polaris, Gambit, Wolverine, and Psylocke [given how none of them are directly associated with it anymore, at this time, or never even have been], a few more things from the premise & the preview that have me curious are:

Why is Rogue in such a dangerous situation all by herself, in the first place?
    Why is her distress call... "coming through an old back channel?"
    And why is it "at the same time" that an "emergency beacon begins screaming with cries from Binary?"

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Gripstir View Post
    As a Gambit fan this just makes me nervous. While I know Kelly is a much better writer than Tini, I just see this news and think “so Gambit is literally in the same token position he was in with Excalibur/Knights of X except with less guys around to be friends with.” Not saying he did much with Rictor or Apocolypse or even guys like Kylun, I just miss the banter with bros Gambit like he had with Bishop and Wolverine and Deadpool and stuff

He’s literally in the same position now as the last comic except replace Betsy with Carol. He’s essentially doing the same thing on a different book.

Also I just noticed Gambit isn’t even in the thanksgiving picture
    https://1979semifinalist.substack.com/p/special-guest
    ... (plus expect some appearances by Binary and Rogue and MAYBE some other guests - wink wink, nudge nudge). ...

Note: Unfortunately Rhodey is only in issue #43 (and maybe issue #49 - we’ll see)

Psylocke from Captain Marvel #43 - art by Sergio Davila...
    Also, while it's not another dude...

https://leagueofcomicgeeks.com/comic...ariant=7820643

and/or confirmed by this variant, I'd be X-static if my girl... Mon-Mon/Photon is 1?!

BANNED

Another li'l tidbit: https://1979semifinalist.substack.com/p/thats-uncanny

... Some of you may have seen this gorgeous Stephen Sergovia variant cover for CAPTAIN MARVEL #44:

And YES. These looks DO appear in the book — and were designed by Stephen! And if some swanky gala looks were not what you were expecting in a horrific Brood story arc, then GOOD! We like to have SOME surprises. ;D

In very related news — our first issue for the REVENGE OF THE BROOD arc kicks off NEXT WEEK! I’ll post some more about it next week before it releases, but this arc has been a very long time in coming and I’m so glad we made it!...

Definitely will be giving this a shot i jump off and on this book more than any other. lol
    Don't let anyone else hold the candle that lights the way to your future because only you can sustain the flame.
    Number of People on my ignore list: 0
    #conceptualthinking ^_^
    #ByeMarvEN

Into the breach.
    https://www.instagram.com/jartist27/

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by jwatson View Post
    Definitely will be giving this a shot i jump off and on this book more than any other. lol
    Me too, I keep jumping off, I love Kelly writing but I'm not too invested on Carol, athough I did get this issue and enjoyed it alot, love seeing Kelly writing Laura, and Remy, and she does a pretty good Polaris and Kwannon, also helps that the artwork is great. I Recommend, atleast fort his arc. not sure if you can say spoilers here..

Quote Originally Posted by Rzerox21xx View Post
    Me too, I keep jumping off, I love Kelly writing but I'm not too invested on Carol, athough I did get this issue and enjoyed it alot, love seeing Kelly writing Laura, and Remy, and she does a pretty good Polaris and Kwannon, also helps that the artwork is great. I Recommend, atleast fort his arc. not sure if you can say spoilers here..
    I think if it’s after 10am est and it’s in one of those yellow spoiler boxes in this thread that it’s okay…

I enjoyed it. It answers the questions of Why This Team. The Treehouse just seems like a thoroughfare for mutants going to NYC. Need some retail therapy? Want a quick slice or a street dog? Want to carry a random mysteriously tied up canvas sack that definitely doesn’t contain body parts and throw it in the East River? Just jaunt on thru the Treehouse.

I like and miss this storytelling style where the characters are in real world situations and feel like actual people. That’s how this story opens. Feels like coming home. They have personalities and aren’t just placeholders. Can I have the next book, like, NOW?

BANNED

SPOILER warning, re. piX & pgs., IF... ya hit the link:

https://twitter.com/CaptMarvelNews/s...48317570826240

✴️Captain Marvel NEWS
    @CaptMarvelNews

OMG! What a START of an arc! All we need! Captain Marvel, Spider-Woman and team visit Krakoa! Teaming up with the X-Men again! Carol and Rhodes! Carol’s secret base! Binary! Space action!!! And the Brood! TOMORROW chapter one in Captain Marvel #43
    @79SemiFinalist @SergioDavila007
    A small, out-of-conteXt 1 tho, courtesy of our very own Merc, I believe: [spoilers apply] https://twitter.com/Jean_RED_Grey/st...59675130122241

It's the X-Men's Lorna & Laura, daughters of Magneto & Wolverine...

2gether AGAIN!!

Also, randomly came across this & it seemed fitting: https://www.zerochan.net/3315338
    X-Men (Marvel) by sushi pizza RRR #3315338

sushi pizza RRR, X-Men, Polaris (Marvel), Domino (Marvel), Gabrielle Kinney, Rogue (X-Men), Psylocke, Deadpool, Taco, Six Fanarts Challenge, Handgun, Adjusting Glasses
    Given all the things involved and/or hit upon, so far.
    Last edited by PolarIceFire; 12-06-2022 at 06:42 PM.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by NicoPony View Post
    I’m glad to have KT handling the characters for a few months because she knows their histories and actually cares about them. She will at least treat Gambit respectfully and not as the butt of every joke or as a airheaded caricature. While I found MMX’s Gambit and XMen Red’s Gambit a little boring, at least he was a competent and likable member of the team. I can’t wait to get back to that feeling.

I’m looking forward to this. The art looks gorgeous! The cast is amazing. I actually think it’s kind of funny Gambit is the only guy. I mean, how many past teams or groups in fiction have a single token female among them, and that’s the norm? (Y’know back in the day when I’d be playing Thundercats with my friends and it’s like, oh I guess I’m Cheetarah bc she’s the only girl and I’ll just be passed out on the ground over here anytime something exciting happens, so maybe I’m sensitive to that). But I think he’ll be living his best life with a team of hot women. Maybe we can look forward to seeing Gambit interact with his brother-in-law Kurt in next year’s Rogue & Gambit series. I would adore that.

Where were Gambit, Rogue and Polaris during this Judgment event? I didn’t read it. Maybe Polaris doesn’t know her dad died? Maybe this mission is happening concurrently? That would be the only acceptable answer, she doesn’t know.
    Quote Originally Posted by LordAllMIghty View Post
    Lorna and Rouge...looks like CM is on my pull list again.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sandmans_Raven View Post
    I for one cannot wait for this. I've been dying for KT to get another chance at Rogue and Gambit and even if they aren't featured heavily, I still trust them in her hands than other writers. I'm really hoping to see some fun interactions
    Quote Originally Posted by thjan View Post
    I am super looking forward to this arc in Captain Marvel. It will be so great seeing my faves written by Kelly Thompson again. She is probably my favorite writer at Marvel right now. Her characterization is always good and she does fun comics. Also, I always love a good Brood story, even if some it's bite has already been removed from this story knowing that as a very last resort any of the mutants taken over by a Brood can just be killed and brought back by the resurrection protocols. The preview has us off to a great start start for sure. The art is really good too.

I agree with everyone that it will be interesting to see how this particular group of mutants come together for this mission(aside from Gambit of course), and getting a better idea when this is set in relation to other comics(Duggan X-Men Year 1?). Kwannon definitely seems like the odd one out at this point. I know she is getting a big push right now and lots of writers seem to want to write her, but I really don't get it and I honestly don't have much attachment to her yet. She is not Betsy and she does not have a large shared history with with all these characters or a long career as a superhero, but she has instantly been given all this cred, trust, and respect by everyone in the comics and it just baffles me. She was a professional killer for the Hand and crime lords for much of her history for goodness sake! Oh well, I am sure Thompson will make her inclusion make sense so sorry for the tangent 8). Anyway, I am especially looking forward to seeing Gambit interact with non-mutant heroes(he doesn't get to do that very often nowadays), and I am interested in seeing how Thompson handles his and Laura's relationship. I wouldn't mind seeing moments like the following-

Agree with all this! Especially the bolded. That was my exact thought when I saw this team. It wouldn't even be questioned or remarked on it if was a bunch of guys with only one woman in the group. ...
    Quote Originally Posted by Saithor View Post
    ... Looking forward to this book.
    Quote Originally Posted by AppleJ View Post
    Oh yeah, I am STOKED!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Galerion View Post
    I must say I'm not big on Captain Marvel but you guys sure do a good on selling me on it

I guess I have become more selective at some point. I mean Psylocke, Gambit and Laura in the same book. That should normally be an instant slam dunk buy for me.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cyclone_Ablaze View Post
    YAY! It's good to see Carol being friends with the X-Men again. Been a long time. ...
    Quote Originally Posted by Huntsman Spider View Post
    I'll admit I've been reading mostly for the frequent Spider-Woman appearances, as I am a sucker for any Marvel comic with Spider-Man and/or (even loosely) related characters in it, but it has been quite enjoyable. That said, as an X-Men fan also, this should definitely be my jam.
    Quote Originally Posted by anyajenkins View Post
    Please let this story be goid. I usually like KT writing, so it should be good…
    Quote Originally Posted by jwatson View Post
    LUVin' all this enthusiastic engagement, and the early...

Quote Originally Posted by Rzerox21xx View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by NicoPony View Post
    I think if it’s after 10am est and it’s in one of those yellow spoiler boxes in this thread that it’s okay…

I enjoyed it. It answers the questions of Why This Team. The Treehouse just seems like a thoroughfare for mutants going to NYC. Need some retail therapy? Want a quick slice or a street dog? Want to carry a random mysteriously tied up canvas sack that definitely doesn’t contain body parts and throw it in the East River? Just jaunt on thru the Treehouse.

I like and miss this storytelling style where the characters are in real world situations and feel like actual people. That’s how this story opens. Feels like coming home. They have personalities and aren’t just placeholders. Can I have the next book, like, NOW?
    REACTIONS!!! NP's posts bookending feels most apropos, 2!! LMAO @ that middle part, in the last 1!