Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    BANNED

Default Incest Relationships Between Siblings? Do you agree?

ok I like to get a little serious here. I know this topic probile has been done already but I noticed there are a some incest relationships in comic. Namor and Namora, 1610 Quicksilver and Scarlet Witch and lets not forget Black Bolt and Medusa and mean others. So my question is this ok ? I mean where dose it stop. whats next billy batson and mary hook up, lightning lad and lightning lass go at it ? oh I know how about X-Man starts dating Rachel Grey ? I mean they are siblings even thought there from different universes.

Black Bolt and Medusa are siblings?

...the things you walk into in the Marvel forum.

Namor/Namora and Black Bolt/Medusa are cousin couples. (Wait, were Namor and Namora even a couple? I thought they acted more like siblings.) Cousins, though universally considered "weird" in the U.S., is still legal in 20 states and is largely still practiced worldwide. It's really only in the last 50 years or so that cousin couplings became taboo. So I acknowledge the weirdness of this and internally think "Hey, not for me" while not really letting it bother me.

Sibling relationships: ew, no. Ultimate Wanda/Pietro was a joke that went too far.

The only other Marvel relationship which came close to crossing the line was Nate Grey and Madelyn Pryor, which was effectively a genetic mother/son coupling. I don't know if they went all the way. This really happened. Best not to think about it.

...why are you going there, anyway?

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by kid_omega_prime View Post
    oh I know how about X-Man starts dating Rachel Grey ? I mean they are siblings even thought there from different universes.
    That's really not all that farfetched. He and Madelyne Pryor were a thing once. She was engineered to want to breed with the Summers line, and, from his perspective, there's genetic sexual attraction (a real thing; look it up, folks) and a hot woman wanting him. Could work for him and Rachel too.

Anyway, I don't have a problem with these things at all -- if it's well written and fits the characters, do it.

Avengers #200, 'nuff said.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by resipsaloquitur View Post
    Namor/Namora and Black Bolt/Medusa are cousin couples. (Wait, were Namor and Namora even a couple? I thought they acted more like siblings.)
    Namor and Namora are not actually cousins either--that was clarified in one of the AGENTS OF ATLAS series. There is not actually a family relationship between them, so there is no incest involved in that one.

Quote Originally Posted by Nite-Wing View Post
    Black Bolt and Medusa are siblings?
    I think they are first or second cousins. As long as they don't have children, I suppose that's okay.

These Incest threads keep popping up
    We need better comics

Cosmic Curmudgeon JudicatorPrime's Avatar

ok I like to get a little serious here. I know this topic probile has been done already but I noticed there are a some incest relationships in comic. Namor and Namora, 1610 Quicksilver and Scarlet Witch and lets not forget Black Bolt and Medusa and mean others. So my question is this ok ? I mean where dose it stop. whats next billy batson and mary hook up, lightning lad and lightning lass go at it ? oh I know how about X-Man starts dating Rachel Grey ? I mean they are siblings even thought there from different universes.
    You have to remember that classic mythology is the forerunner for today's comics. As we all know, incest was commonplace in myths, especially if we're talking about the Greco-Roman myths. Whether you're talking love or war, 10 times out of 10, you can best bet that the gods that are involved are related in some way.

Further, do note that many of the couples that you mention aren't only extremely long-lived individuals, but they come from isolated and/or elitist communities. Whenever that is the case you'll usually see incest. In the real world it wasn't uncommon for royalty to inbreed in order to preserve the bloodline. The same is true in various isolated communities across America, albeit for different reasons.

Incest isn't something that I want to see in comics outside of the already mentioned mythological deities. If Wanda and Pietro are hooking up in any reality I would be both shocked and appalled. That's not a book that I would buy.

Quote Originally Posted by Project Initiative Cascada View Post
    I think they are first or second cousins. As long as they don't have children, I suppose that's okay.
    In most of the world and large parts of the US them having kids would not be any big deal.

Dark Blue means first cousins can marry

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cousin_...riageWorld.svg

Quote Originally Posted by resipsaloquitur View Post
    Too late. 10char.
    Oh my Phoenix no! I certainly hope Inhumans' blood/DNA are different from humans because that certainly does not send a good message out that its okay for family members to procreate together.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Project Initiative Cascada View Post
    Oh my Phoenix no! I certainly hope Inhumans' blood/DNA are different from humans because that certainly does not send a good message out that its okay for family members to procreate together.
    You are aware that there's very little risk involved with first cousins breeding? It's comparable to having a kid with someone of a different race in terms of risking birth defects. Damn near anyone you choose to bone inserts some kind of risk factor.

Not a big deal.

Protect the weak. Darth Phoenix's Avatar

The von Strucker twins were an incest villlian couple, and don't knock it the British Royals have been inbreeding for years and no1 stops them.

Maddie no longer had a physical body when she was doing Nate tho.

So my question is this ok ?
    Aside from royalty, it's never been presented as strictly okay. The Ultimate Quicksilver/Scarlet Witch thing was very clearly intended to be icky. It was Mark Millar in his "trying very hard to be shocking" mode. His Hulk material from Old Man Logan is along similar lines.

Also, as far as Black Bolt and Medusa, I think they're related by marriage, not by blood. Here's the family tree from OHOTMU: