View Poll Results: Who is the definitive Avengers villain?

Voters
242. You may not vote on this poll
  • Baron Helmut Zemo and/or the Masters of Evil

12 4.96%
  • Count Nefaria

0 0%
  • Dormammu

0 0%
  • Grandmaster

0 0%
  • Immortus

1 0.41%
  • Kang the Conqueror

68 28.10%
  • Kree Empire

0 0%
  • Loki

12 4.96%
  • Michael Korvac

0 0%
  • Scarlet Witch

13 5.37%
  • Skrull Empire

0 0%
  • Squadron Supreme

0 0%
  • Thanos

20 8.26%
  • Ultron

116 47.93%
  • Zeus

0 0%
Page 5 of 34 FirstFirst 12345678915 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by AcesX1X View Post
    i think its very weird that the avengers don't have that many noteworthy villains to call their own.
    Kang
    Immortus
    Ultron
    Zodiac Cartel
    Masters of Evil
    Nebula
    Lethal Legion
    Grim Reaper
    the Gatherers
    Master Pandemonium
    Alkhema
    And I really could go on and on...

The thing is, unlike the X-Men or the FF, who are mostly known as a team, the Avengers are a collection of stars that have their own title, and the villians from those own titles end up carrying over to the group book, as has happened with Loki, the Olympian Gods, Red Skull and so many others... The same has been known to happen with DC's Justice League.

Peace

Quote Originally Posted by Nomads1 View Post
    Kang
    Immortus
    Ultron
    Zodiac Cartel
    Masters of Evil
    Nebula
    Lethal Legion
    Grim Reaper
    the Gatherers
    Master Pandemonium
    Alkhema
    And I really could go on and on...
    yes, but no offense i said "noteworthy."

half of those villains you list are very obscure. and no one outside of diehard avenger readers would really know who they are...

Quote Originally Posted by Shadowcat View Post
    Englehart's my favorite writer, and the themes he touched on in that story among his other work just blew my mind.
    Englehart's Avengers run is incredibly creative, and touched upon topics that are an essential part of the Avengers mythos. I just never cared much for his overdramatic dialogue, and his overall use of drama, in fact. Stern, Busiek, Harras, Johns, Shooter, even Thomas, rank higher than him in my list of personal favorites.

Peace

BANNED

i'm curious to know if the mutants would allow scarlet to run free if they knew the truth behind planet x.
    Not just the mutants if everyone knew that she cooperated with the twins she would be in trouble. Even better if what happened to Quicksilver in All New X-Factor 13 happened to the Scarlet Witch, the Avengers and her would be done.

yes, but no offense i said "noteworthy."

half of those villains you list are very obscure. and no one outside of diehard avenger readers would really know who they are...
    Mostly because, in the last decade, the writers haven't bothered much to read the Avengers backstory and feature them, so they did, admitedly, fall through the cracks. However, up untill Bendis, when writers bothered to use history, they were pretty widely known, and many were really awsome (and, with the exception of, maybe, the last three, I'd say the others are pretty widely known, even for people not versed in Avengers history).

Peace

I wouldn't say the Gatherers, Alkhema, Master Pandemonium, the Zodiac, or the Lethal Legion were ever "pretty widely known". And two months ago, I would have included Nebula on that list.
    "It's not whether you win or lose, it's whether I win or lose." - Peter David, on life

"If you can't say anything nice about someone, sit right here by me." - Alice Roosevelt Longworth, on manners

"You're much stronger than you think you are." - Superman, on humankind

All-New, All-Different Marvel Checklist

Mostly because, in the last decade, the writers haven't bothered much to read the Avengers backstory and feature them, so they did, admitedly, fall through the cracks. However, up untill Bendis, when writers bothered to use history, they were pretty widely known, and many were really awsome (and, with the exception of, maybe, the last three, I'd say the others are pretty widely known, even for people not versed in Avengers history).

Peace
    i think you'd be hard pressed to find a casual reader who can recognize something like lethal legion or gatherers, not to mention name you any from memory.

Jewish & Proud Feminist Shadowcat's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Rochedalaix View Post
    Exactly, and this is all before counting her screw up in Uncanny Avengers she helped get the entire world destroyed.

&

Quote Originally Posted by Michael P View Post
    I wouldn't say the Gatherers, Alkhema, Master Pandemonium, the Zodiac, or the Lethal Legion were ever "pretty widely known". And two months ago, I would have included Nebula on that list.
    Alkhema and Gatherers stuck mostly to the Avengers titles, but Master Pandemonium showed up in FF, some of the horror books and even Young Avengers pretty recently, Zodiac Cartel and Lethal Legion have poped up all over the Mu over the years and Nebula was always a big player over at the cosmic side of Marvel, playing an important part in one of Marvel's most popular events, Infinity Gauntlet (and that was even before the movie). Are any of them Dr. Doom? No, but, then again, very few are. Non-comic readers won't know who Mr Sinister, the Marauders, Carnage, the Executioner, or so many others, however, if you read comics, even if you don't follow regularly the X-Men books, the Spidey-verse, Thor, or others, you may have heard of them. Same with most Avengers baddies.

Peace

BANNED

....Master Pandemonium showed up in FF, some of the horror books and even Young Avengers pretty recently....
    He showed up during the last arc of Thomson Venom as well I think. Hellstorm tagged along IIRC.

he also showed up in the young avenger special with wiccan and speed - squatting on vision and scarlet's old new jersey property and watching old movies. i still wouldn't consider him someone casual fans would recognize.

logically scarlet is the avengers greatest villain both in-story and out-of.

she ushered in the biggest sea change for the books themselves. her attacks led to a company-wide crossover, which then drove the line of the x-books and provided the tone for avenger books for years. in-story she has the highest avenger and non-avenger kill-count of any avenger villain.

ultron has never had the sort of antagonistic influence over the avengers that wanda has, and he certainly never hurt them as much as she did. he definitely never killed as many avengers as her. kang has about two stories where he's actually had much influence over the avengers, and neither took place in an avenger book proper.

Well Ultron killed most of them until Logan went back in time and reset everything

right but that was in some satellite book that hardly anyone read.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Shadowcat View Post

&
    You forgot West Coast Avengers 48.

I went with Immortus because has caused several changes to manipulate the avengers and also have not received a single vote.

Anyway, Zeus is not really a villain. Dormammu is not villainous Avengers and Wanda is not a villain.

I would have put Graviton, Grimm Reaper, Squadron Sinister and Super Adaptoid

But would vote for Kang or Ultron.