Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Asian Dramas

Marvel's 1st Superhero Reviresco's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Zauriel View Post
    I forgot to mention I have watched another j-drama called Midnight Diner (深夜食堂, Shinya shokudō) It focuses on a late-night diner called Meshiya in the Shinjuku district of Tokyo, its mysterious scarred chef known only as "Master," and the lives of his customers. The setting of Midnight Diner is a nameless 12-seat Izakaya in Shinjuku Tokyo. Despite being open only from midnight to 7 am, it is popular amongst Shinjuku's busy and diverse nightlife.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Midnig...ese_TV_series)
    I watched this on Netflix and enjoyed it. Very slice of life. I'm going to watch the second series, which is also on Netflix. Waiting to see if we get more on the 'Master.' And will probably track down the movie, though they've got a different actor playing the owner.
    Namor the Sub-Mariner, Marvel's oldest character, will have been published for 85 years in 2024. So where's my GOOD Namor anniversary ongoing, Marvel?

I have truly stumbled down the rabbit hole of Chinese Dramas. I ended up signing up to one of the services (IQiYi) for a month, so I've been madly watching shows and movies on there -- mostly following exclusives, actors, and directors and a few recommendations. Discovering there are a variety of genres and mash ups. It's been fun and I've been lucky in many of my choices, as far as quality / entertainment.

Historical: The Rebel Princess
    Fantasy: Love Between Fairy and Devil
    Historical RomCom: Decreed by Fate
    Historical Detective: Strange Tales of the Tang Dynasty
    TimeTravel / Fantasy: The Journey 1 & 2
    Last edited by Reviresco; 07-06-2023 at 02:52 PM.
    Namor the Sub-Mariner, Marvel's oldest character, will have been published for 85 years in 2024. So where's my GOOD Namor anniversary ongoing, Marvel?

Oh, I adore Asian drama shows, especially on Netflix (they have a large and growing library of such awesome shows)

My current top ten favorite live-action Asian Dramas.

1.) Squid Games

2.) All of Us Are Dead

3.) Move to Heaven

4.) D.P.

5.) Sweet Home

6.) Kingdom (although it is also a historical series)

7.) My Name

8.) Bloodhounds

9.) Juvenile Justice

10.) The Girl From Nowhere
    "So you've come to the end now alive but dead inside."

Extraordinary Member

I enjoyed Squid Game. Haven't finished Beef yet, but it's pretty good so far. Also liked Aggretsuko but it got too serious.
    Last edited by CliffHanger2; 07-03-2023 at 09:13 PM.

Been watching a bit of live-action ANGEL HEART, which is based on a manga/anime that is sort of a spin-off of CITY HUNTER, although a sort of alternate timeline where Ryo's partner dies and her heart/part of her soul are transferred to an assassin who becomes Ryo's new partner.

It's a lot closer to the source material than the old Jackie Chan movie or the Korean drama as far as City Hunter media goes. Kind of entertaining but a bit on the short side.

Kind of interested in seeing the live-action Yakuza stuff as I've been playing those games.
    chrism227.wordpress.com Info and opinions on a variety of interests.

https://twitter.com/chrisprtsmouth

Fantastic Member

I was enjoying the first few episodes of the post-apocalyptic Alice in Borderland on Netflix, but then in episode 4 or so, they stumbled upon an area ruled by a trope. I mean by a despot who was surrounded by subservient, bikini-clad women. I forced myself to get through that episode but when I saw that the rest of the season appeared to include that extremely tired and boring premise that EVERY post-apocalyptic show does, I lost interest.

Ultimate Member

The one that I like is Live Up To Your Name on Netflix about Ho I'm a doctor that uses acupuncture and needles and all of that, the show starts off in about 1500 Korea. Through a series of events Ho I'm finds himself in present day Korea, meets a lady surgeon with her own problems. Drama, romance, and comedy ensue with time travel and a bit of Harry Potter thrown in.

Quote Originally Posted by frankiedetroit View Post
    I was enjoying the first few episodes of the post-apocalyptic Alice in Borderland on Netflix, but then in episode 4 or so, they stumbled upon an area ruled by a trope. I mean by a despot who was surrounded by subservient, bikini-clad women. I forced myself to get through that episode but when I saw that the rest of the season appeared to include that extremely tired and boring premise that EVERY post-apocalyptic show does, I lost interest.
    Yeah, while a few of the characters are interesting, it isn't one of the better shows. The final "twist" was also very predictable. I won't spoil the "twist" here for anyone but I figured it out mid-way through season one (there are two seasons) maybe a bit before.
    "So you've come to the end now alive but dead inside."

Quote Originally Posted by frankiedetroit View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Celgress View Post
    Yeah, while a few of the characters are interesting, it isn't one of the better shows. The final "twist" was also very predictable. I won't spoil the "twist" here for anyone but I figured it out mid-way through season one (there are two seasons) maybe a bit before.
    That's disappointing. Alice in Borderland was on my watchlist. I guess I'll move it down a bit.

Quote Originally Posted by LoganAlpha30X33 View Post
    The one that I like is Live Up To Your Name on Netflix about Ho I'm a doctor that uses acupuncture and needles and all of that, the show starts off in about 1500 Korea. Through a series of events Ho I'm finds himself in present day Korea, meets a lady surgeon with her own problems. Drama, romance, and comedy ensue with time travel and a bit of Harry Potter thrown in.
    Interesting. I think there's a Japanese series that's similar that I enjoyed called Jin.

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisIII View Post
    Been watching a bit of live-action ANGEL HEART, which is based on a manga/anime that is sort of a spin-off of CITY HUNTER, although a sort of alternate timeline where Ryo's partner dies and her heart/part of her soul are transferred to an assassin who becomes Ryo's new partner.

It's a lot closer to the source material than the old Jackie Chan movie or the Korean drama as far as City Hunter media goes. Kind of entertaining but a bit on the short side.

Kind of interested in seeing the live-action Yakuza stuff as I've been playing those games.
    I know there's a ton of Yakuza movies, but it's not a genre that I watch much of.

I read somewhere that a ton of the K-dramas now are based off web comics / comics. Haven't really gotten into either yet. I watched a movie called "Gintama" which was based off a manga, and it definitely had that feel.

Quote Originally Posted by Celgress View Post
    Oh, I adore Asian drama shows, especially on Netflix (they have a large and growing library of such awesome shows)

My current top ten favorite live-action Asian Dramas.

1.) Squid Games

2.) All of Us Are Dead

3.) Move to Heaven

4.) D.P.

5.) Sweet Home

6.) Kingdom (although it is also a historical series)

7.) My Name

8.) Bloodhounds

9.) Juvenile Justice

10.) The Girl From Nowhere
    Thanks for the recommendations. I haven't gotten into the K-dramas yet, but I'm sure that's coming, as I've watched a few Korean movies, and they were amazing. I mostly like costume pieces, so I'll definitely watch The Kingdom, though I've a watched a few modern shows / movies, so I'll try some of the others. Train to Busan was modern, and a great zombie movie.

I've also seen Squid Game, which was beyond awesome. I'm looking forward to the 2nd season.

Sweet Home was great, speaking of it. I would love for Netflix to adapt the prequel to Sweet Home Shotgun Boy, and the creator's other works.
    My Forum check it out

Bruceleegreyhulk's RPG & Story Forum

Characters: Cyber Samurai, Wilima Stonewall, Red Oni, Jaakobah , Giduiz Mazi, Midas Goldsteel

Gambit: Gambit see your bet and raise it, because the cards always be in my favor.

Just binged the C-drama No Boundary 1 and 2, directed by Steve Cheng, who also directed the very popular The Untamed, which I have not watched yet. It's based off a web comic called Demon in Kaifeng.

Basically this is a love story between an 'immortal and a meticulous constable, who meet solving crimes, often supernatural, in very different ways. The story moves into larger plots with conflicts between the three realms (Heaven, Earth, Hell -- Immortals, Mortals, Demons). And then it goes back to the distant past (sort of) dealing with past incarnations of certain characters. Visually, it had its moments. The costumes are nice, though some of the head gear is off. The special effects aren't huge, but most of them are pretty good. I loved the score. Lots of violins.

Enjoyed it, even though I think Darren Chen, the male lead, was miscast -- he looks a bit too young. But he handles the banter with the female lead well, for the most part, and can swing a cape with flair. It had a very strong female lead, Zhang Yishang, who besides playing an 'immortal' also spent several episodes playing a general. Actually, she's really the main lead of the series, given all the main plot revolves around her. Gu Zi Cheng, as a rival / antagonist / friend was great, portraying a range of ages / experiences, especially given he was like 19 at filming. Also, probably because it was so long (52 episodes), all the side characters get great characterization, showing growth and changes how you view them -- the magistrate / 'father' most of all. He was great too.

Oh, and if you like "cute" stuff, it had talking dinner ware, specifically a cup and a pitcher, that, of course, reminded me of Beauty and the Beast.

Last edited by Reviresco; 07-06-2023 at 04:05 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by bruceleegreyhulk View Post
    Sweet Home was great, speaking of it. I would love for Netflix to adapt the prequel to Sweet Home Shotgun Boy, and the creator's other works.
    Cool! I'll move it up on my list. My IQiYi sub ends on the 10th, so I'm going to dive into Netflix and Prime for shows after that.