Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Mercury and Mystique, perhaps having to work together for some important stealth mission. They share enough similarities that the main difference between them is Cessily's youthful idealism, with Raven being the kind of person she might become if it weren't for her dedication to remain a good person.

Hopefully this counts, but my next choice would be...

Scott + Wanda

Quote Originally Posted by K7P5V View Post
    Hopefully this counts, but my next choice would be...

Scott + Wanda
    Oh yes! I too remember this scene from the early X-Men issues.
    [Quote Originally Posted by Thor-El 10-15-2020 12:32 PM]

"Jason Aaron should know there is already a winner of the Phoenix Force and his name is Phoenixx9."

Like a Red Dragon, The Phoenix shall Soar in 2024!

BANNED

I want to see Tyler Dayspring and Hope Summers interact. Would be interesting. Kinda sucks that they havent resurrected him yet

Incredible Member

Bring back Rusty and Skids! They deserve happiness.
    Also Wind Dancer and Hellion.
    Cecilia Reyes and Forge.
    Wildchild and Thorn.
    Last edited by Milici; 11-01-2022 at 03:41 AM.

Fantastic Member

I want Scott to reconcile with Maddie (don't care that she's come back from the great beyond several times, so has Jean).

--jthree

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by MkDiz View Post
    I want to see Tyler Dayspring and Hope Summers interact. Would be interesting. Kinda sucks that they havent resurrected him yet
    Yesssss. This has been on my "I Wish" list from day one. Like, especially if Tyler ends up YOUNGER than Hope because ultimately they decide to resurrect him with his memories just backed up to right before he was kidnapped by Stryfe as a teenager. Since so much of who he became and what he did as an adult was the direct product of Stryfe deliberately torturing him and trying to warp his worldview and responses to stuff and remake him as his own twisted legacy instead of the son/legacy of Stryfe's hated mirror-self, Tyler's dad Cable. And have it so they're not trying to hide info from Tyler or sweep his past under the rug, its out there, its acknowledged - like, intentionally make it something Tyler has to reconcile and that he struggles with.

Knowing that a version of him did all this stuff but only after years of torture and brainwashing that were done to him JUST to fuck with his dad as part of Stryfe's lifelong attempt to prove that Cable's no better than he is and ANYONE can become him or like him in the right circumstances or after going through a specific crucible. That Stryfe being 'the villain' and Cable 'the hero' of their shared story ultimately just came down to the flip of a coin, random chance, as far as Stryfe insists. It was nothing inherent in either's nature, it was just a matter of which one got kidnapped and raised by Apocalypse and which one got saved and raised by a time-traveling Scott and Jean squatting in a couple bodies for twelve years like they were an AirBnB. So ahead of their time, those two. Absolutely iconic of them. Trendsetters always.

There's a wealth of stuff to be explored/unpacked if you bring back a Tyler Dayspring who's plucked from the river of his life experiences just before said river was forcibly diverted down a specific tributary by a villain who never even had any interest in Tyler himself. He just saw him as the perfect case study for his 'Everybody Sucks If You Fuck 'Em Up Just Right' grad school thesis. Have the argument for resurrecting him as a teenager be that Tyler's life and who he became was the end result of someone deliberately hijacking his life and controlling everything about it for years, while Tyler had no agency of his own, and so he deserves the right to see who he can become - might have originally become - via his own agency and choices, now that there's a way to make that possible. That he wasn't predestined to a specific fate, Mr. Tolliver wasn't the inevitable end result of just who Tyler is and always was...that adult version of Tyler was ENGINEERED by someone determined to make him end up that way.

What's it like to be a kid wrestling with all of that.....to know all this stuff about things everyone says you did, that were still your actions....but that you'll never ever remember doing because unlike the Tyler who did those things, the Tyler that you actually are, the only one you can ever remember being....his worldview/mindset can't factor in the inciting variables of torture/brainwashing because this version of him never experienced those things to even use as a frame of reference for why he might make certain choices.

Imagine trying to imagine doing things that you can't imagine ever doing.....because you never would have done them if not for catalyzing factors that you were deliberately rescued from and intentionally spared from ever experiencing, thanks to the decision to resurrect you from a point that was only backed up to before all that ever happened.

How do you accept accountability for deeds that rely on thoughts/ideas/conceptions that literally exist outside of the scope of the only worldview/experiences/perceptions that you actually have? While at the same time, what's it like to know with utter certainty - with proven precedent - that whether or not the you that you think of yourself as, that's lived the life you have, that has the memories you have and no others....like, what do you do with the uncontestable fact that whether THAT you can imagine doing certain things or not, there's actual, literal history that exists proving that you are in fact capable of doing those things, with the right motivations/inciting factors.

What does living with that duality do in terms of how you view yourself and the choices you make, when you're always going to be haunted by the footsteps that a ghost of you once took on a path that no longer exists even as a possibility....thanks to resurrection 'course-correcting' you back onto the path you were originally on, freeing you to resume walking on THAT path where you left off, at the point your memories place you at just before resurrection. With the idea being that it'll be as though you never did step off that path and onto another, and thus there's no reason you can't resume your original trajectory.....but with the reality being that yeah, you may have been steered back onto your original path, but that will never actually lead to the 'life you would have/should have lived' now. Because the path might be the same as it ever was, but now you yourself are forever altered by just the awareness that somewhere out there, another path did exist and you did walk it, making your mark on the world in ways that were real and that lasted, no matter how real or not they may feel to you.

The path's the same as you remember it, but in the blink of an eye (as far as you experienced things), between one step, the one last choice you can remember making before you died....and then the first choices and steps you make post-resurrection....you changed, even though you didn't actually do anything to change, let alone as drastically as it feels you did. Because the you that walked out of Arbor Magna was fundamentally altered by just the knowledge you now possess after having your own autobiography read back to you by people who know a you that you don't even know. You were changed from the moment you were given a forewarning in the form of being used as your own cautionary tale. Told in one breath 'this is who you were/who you could be' and in the next 'this is who you'll never be/the road that led to this you no longer exists thanks to you KNOWING what steps to avoid taking.' And then in a third breath? 'Make sure this is never who you become/always keep an eye out for a road that no longer exists in a way you'd recognize but that you could still find yourself on a near-enough parallel to, if you ever ending up taking a different wrong turn.'

What's it like to go through your second shot at life permanently altered and influenced by the scars and aftermath of torture that never really happened to you, and yet really were defining factors in the shape your life once took. With your personal bogeyman being your own future, a man who literally only existed because of experiences that came after the specific moment in life that was used as the source point for your resurrection, the chapter in your book you were at just before you turned the page and found a fresh, blank one to write on instead of whatever chapter originally came next. When the book that is your life in the only form available for you to actually read it, well, that book isn't just missing chapters that contain crucial plot details you're now expected to write a book report on....no, that book claims those chapters were never even written. And no matter how often other people insist they were and treat the events in those chapters as being critical to the chapter you're currently writing, currently living....the book that is the only life you've actually lived? Its never going to open to those missing chapters, finally available for you to read. Because those chapters aren't hidden, they just aren't there. They only exist in the book about your life that everyone else got to read before it went out of print, and that some people will always treat as your official canon anyway.

As far as you experience time and look back on your life - no matter how many times you do look back after another reminder of 'things you once did,' expecting that to change what you see in the rear view mirror now that you know what to look for....you know that you're still no closer to actually seeing what everyone says should be there, because now you might know what specific event to search for, sure, but you're still searching for it amidst the wrong landscape, surrounded by all the wrong landmarks, ones that will never properly line up. To actually get the whole scene, fully fleshed out and in color? Its not enough to have a specific event narrated to you in detail. Not when there's no narration detailed enough to paint an accurate picture of the backdrop that event is supposed to be set against. The one laying out the course you took to get there, the 'previously on' road that you actually walked, because you didn't just drop out of the sky in the middle of the road one day. It only feels like you did.

Astonishing Member

Imagine being that kid and trying not to dodge accountability for things that can't be directly laid at the feet of anyone other than a Tyler Dayspring. Because whatever went into making that Tyler the way he was, by the time he was running around as Genesis/Mr. Tolliver, he was back in control of his own choices. But, Tyler has to wonder, can you really say its his fault, what he did then, if he never would have done those things or made those choices if he hadn't been first subjected to years of torture and brainwashing that were literally intended to mold him in specific ways? If the whole reason he can't imagine ever choosing to do those things is because the stressors that led to him seeing those as viable choices have never been applied to him, never chipped away at what was originally there and shaped everything that followed....and so no matter how much he squints or changes his POV, the world as the fuller, less eroded/worn away version of him sees it....that view of things is never going to show whatever that other Tyler saw to make those choices seem like they were worth making?

What do the crimes of Tyler Dayspring have to do with Tyler Dayspring, he wants to know, when it wasn't him but it was but it wasn't and where do you even get off that particular carousel, that's what he would really like to know.

And at the end of the day....he's still Cable's kid. The grandson of Cyclops and Jean Grey. A Summers as much as a Dayspring. Self-flagellation, a martyr complex the size of Mt. Everest and a firm 'the buck stops with me' mindset are baked into the core of who he was by the time he was seventeen or eighteen, because....okay, look. Corsair and Scott and Cable and Tyler and Hope are just like that. The Summers family is very good at passing down generational trauma and honoring the family legacy of Having Super-Healthy Tendencies That Aren't At All Rooted In Messiah Complexes Born of the Family Tradition That Is 'People Just Like Calling the Babies in Our Families Savior/Messiah/Chosen One. Weird, huh.'

"Its complicated" would be his theme song, his mantra and the title of his memoir, from the very second a teenage Tyler Dayspring is resurrected, even with the best of intentions. There's no way to avoid it. In order to try and spare him from the horrors that turned him into his worst self, you have to burden him with the mother of all existential crises. Make sure he knows about the scars you've made sure he'll never have, confront him with the sins you want to make sure he'll never commit, and then send him on his way with trauma he can't even try and cite as context for the crimes that people he's never met will always hold against him. Because its not like that trauma ever really happened to him, see? But hey, its okay, because at least the crimes that trauma resulted in never really happened either....oh wait. That's only from his POV. The edited and abridged transcript of his life that he has as a guidebook even though it will never read the same way the memories of Mr. Tolliver's past victims will always play out in their heads. But that doesn't change the fact that the memories everyone but he has of himself, those will always bear his signature, where he once claimed credit for misdeeds that never even make the list of things people remember to tell him he did. Because once upon a time he signed those deeds with intent. He just can't wrap his head around why.

Its a paradox of self, built on and around and attempting to answer the question of "what version of yourself will you become, when the most defining influence on you from this point forward is a string of impossibilities, paradoxes that give you a headache to even contemplate, but that you have no choice but to wrestle with every single day of your life. A life that you still love living, and are grateful to have, because here you are with your dad (who'll never quite be the dad you remember because they can bring you back but they can't bring back the version of him that isn't wary of you, isn't always watching you with a caution you did nothing to earn but can't really protest when you know he's a better authority than you are on the man you feel you could never become and that he knows you already did). And now you even have a sister (who gave you a second chance at life after a death you can't remember but will always be defined by, who rescued you from things that never happened to you, who returned you to your path through life that you can't remember ever stepping off of...because you never did. Except no matter how many times you say that last part, it'll never quite be true.)"

Look, idk, idk. I mean, maybe you could do something sorta like that. Obviously I've barely even thought about it, so who can say, really.

(Okay fine, I may have fixated on this story possibility and specific dynamic a long time ago and am doomed to never be truly rid of it even though I am definitely not a super stubborn person. I 'move on' from things like twenty times a day, even? What, why is that not believable? I don't understand.)

Also, I want it on record that I really do TRY and edit my posts down to fit under the limit when it inevitably tells me my long-winded ass was too long-winded again.

I mean, it never really makes a difference, because I end up just throwing up my hands and going fuck it, I give up. But like. The effort is still there. Its just not a very good effort. Still counts. Kinda? Maybe? Eh, your call.

Astonishing Member

And to keep from it being too mired in angst and philosophical conundrums, and as an apology for all the purple prose, make sure that this completely unorthodox and unprecedented family unit of Cable, Hope and Tyler does love each other in spite of all the reasons they shouldn't. Break up the darker story beats with the signature Summers/Dayspring brand of morbid humor meant to take the bite out of the worst aspects of their lives. Hope and Tyler squabbling like the teenage siblings they are despite a literal thousand years between their birth dates. Cable interrupting them with an exasperated sigh, saying "Shape up or I'm sending the both of you a couple millennia into the future until you mature a bit. Nobody will judge me for it. My Dad did it and look at me, I obviously turned out fine."

Hope: Hilarious, dad. Its nice to know that even if you hadn't been born a 'Chosen One' you'd always have your comedic skills to fall back on.

Tyler: Kids these days, am I right, Dad? I mean, back in my day - three thousand years from now - we knew better than to disrespect our parents like that. I would never make fun of you.

Hope: No, you'd probably just murder all his friends instead.

Tyler: Omg, let it go. You turn on your family and plot the deaths of everyone you or your father have ever loved one time, and nobody ever lets you forget it. Jeez.

Hope: Well if you didn't want to be judged for murdering people, maybe you should just not murder people.

Tyler: Thanks for the super helpful advice, sis. Tell you what, I'll be sure to keep it in mind for the next time I'm dead and with zero control of what a version of me at a different point in his life might be doing. Hey, random question: have you ever had a friend group that wasn't a creepy cult your powers whipped up so you wouldn't be friendless and alone just because you have no social skills and without your powers nobody likes you?

Hope: Ugh, I liked you so much better when you were just the source of Dad's manpain and weekly brooding ritual instead of the loser who can't even clean a gun properly and yet somehow is still tied with Great-Uncle Gabe for Worst Villain Our Family Has Ever Produced. I should have left you dead. I miss being an only child. Never appreciated that properly. Didn't even know what I had until it was gone.

Tyler: Are you done? Is it over? We reach the end of today's Messiah Monologues: My Life Is So Hard? Look, you can cry about your buyer's remorse all you want, but if I may remind you, Dad LITERALLY told you 'sometimes the dead should stay dead' and what did you do? You said "I'm Hope Summers, the Mutant Messiah, I do what I want and assume I'm right about everything and if you disagree I'll sic my weirdo stalker Exodus on you." And then you went and resurrected me anyway. Sides, we both know what you're really ticked about, but its not my fault it only took two whole days for me to become the hotter, more popular Dayspring sib despite my subpar mutation and literal rap sheet. Maybe if you'd spent less time buying your own hype and more time learning how to handle having some actual competition, you wouldn't be so bitter just cuz I can make friends without mass brainwashing and messianic prophecies about like, how totally super special I am, omg!

Hope: I know at least twenty people who would drop everything to throw me a goddamn party if I shot you in the face right now.

Tyler: Aww, is that really the only way you can get people to show up to a party? Gank your adorable little brother that even with the occasional 'murder victim' here and there, everybody still likes better than Little Miss 'saved the entire mutant race all by herself'? Sad.

Hope, ignoring him: Y'know, there's even a few I'm pretty sure would throw me a parade.

Tyler: Weird, I would've thought you got enough of those after you saved our entire race all by yourself. Wait, what's that? Nobody threw you a single parade, not even one? How dare those ungrateful assholes! Hey, you don't suppose its cuz everyone thinks it wasn't even you and the Phoenix did all the actual work, do you? I mean, damn, ride Grandma's coattails much?

Hope, still ignoring her brother: Maybe for the annual family Christmas card, I'll put a photo of your new tombstone and hashtag it #Cainwasright. Fratricide is so underrated.

Tyler: LOL, okay, now you just sound dumb. Have you completely forgotten what family we're part of? Grandpa and his brothers have to use a calendar app to keep track of how many days since one of them last tried to kill the others. Fratricide is literally the most derivative move you can make while using the last name 'Summers.' Do you plagiarize all your greatest hits or have you had at least one original thought, like, ever?

Manifold, visiting to talk shop with Cable and watching 'the kids' with morbid fascination: Wait, and you think they actually like each other? Are you sure? I mean, your family does have a pretty skewed baseline for normal sibling interaction, so you ever consider that maybe you just don't know what it looks like when siblings actually like each other?

Cable: Eh, they're fine. Neither of my kids are subtle. If they actually hated each other one of them would have shot the other way before now, 'stead of just talking about it. This is just how they are.

Manifold: I always forget how quickly conversations with you can turn super awkward and uncomfortable. And all it takes is watching one casual conversation between your kids and it all comes flooding back.

Cable: Watch it. My kids are fucking saints compared to some of the brats running around here.

Manifold: One of your kids is a literal mass murderer and the other one just outsources her hitlist to the omega level mass murderer she has on speed dial.

Cable: Might be some truth to that, but I'm just saying. Its all relative. If their body counts ever catch up to Logan's kids, then I'll worry.

Manifold: I feel like maybe you could set the bar a little higher than that, but honestly, I just hate everything about this conversation so I'm gonna go. See you at work, boss.

Cable: Where we occasionally assassinate people.

Manifold: Point taken. Still leaving now.

(I feel like a core part of both Hope and Tyler's characterizations and dynamics should be the fact that at the end of the day, these are two feral goblin-children who spent most of their childhoods being the sole recipients of their father's affection while raised in two different post-apocalyptic wastelands, and now are expected to ugh, 'share' him, and they're very bad at it. What they're not bad at is being vicious little cutthroat assholes who will snap and snarl at each other all the live-long day, but someone else tries to take a shot at one of them and watch as they instantly segue to being all My Name Is Inigo Montoya, You Lightly Bruised My Sibling, Prepare to Die And Also Be the Reason Everything In a Five Mile Radius Ends Up a Crater. Our father taught us literally everything there is to know about conflict except for 'how to know what a reasonably proportionate response is and do JUST that, the end.')
    Last edited by BobbysWorld; 10-31-2022 at 08:11 AM.

Jesus… I love all of this. Yes to bringing back Tyler, yes to bringing him back younger than Hope, yes to all of the banter above from BobbysWorld. Love it! Well done!!!

And Tyler’s powers were kind of interesting too. Very similar to those of Mirage or maybe even Fantomex…

Empathic Memory Projection: Tyler's mutant powers enabled him to empathically sense the memories of others. He could then form a psionic link with another consciousness and visually project those memories as solid holograms in a manner somewhat similar to Mirage.

He also has similar training to Hope…

Abilities: Trained in military tactics, guerrilla warfare, and other combat disciplines.

From: https://marvel.fandom.com/wiki/Tyler...g_(Earth-4935)
    “Not as good as I once was… but I’m as good, once, as I ever was.”

Cannonball and Hope. As Cable's two main proteges and ersatz children, it would be fun to see them interact, particularly as their lives have taken such different directions. Hope has definitely held onto the military-esque approach, even if it has taken a back seat to her role on the Five, while Sam is more of a traditional superhero and a family man.

Ultimate Member

Everything Bobbysworld just said for Tyler Dayspring, only I want it for Evan Sabah Nur, who'd end up meeting adult Apocalypse, and be all, 'I get that you've seen millions of people die, and are all old and and twisted and broken inside, but I hope I never turn out to be anything like you...'

Astonishing Member gonnagiveittoya's Avatar

Some kind of thing between the Amazing Friends in Dark Web because it wasnt even acknowledged in either the Gala or Spidey's tie in for it

BANNED

Some non-romantic ones for Laura, if we're including those, as well:

Megan and Debbie: Despite the big deal of Laura finally getting to reunite with her family in ANW, they've barely interacted since. Let's see Megan get drawn into zany mutant shenanigans with Laura and Jubilee. Or Laura learning more about her mother from Debbie. Does Laura even know that Sarah had been abused, as well, and that drove a lot of her own actions in Laura's creation? It was alluded to in Sarah's letter, but never explicitly stated.

Kiden Nixon: This is a big one. Despite the importance of Kiden in Laura's history — it's because of her that Laura was able to escape Zebra Daddy's control — they've only interacted once since NYX, in Marjorie Liu's one-shot. There was also Messiah War, but that was an AU version that Laura was unable to bring herself to mercy kill. Kiden is probably one of the best examples of how Laura has honestly become a pretty shitty friend; despite how much help the Xavier School, Utopia, and now Krakoa could provide Kiden and her gang, Laura has apparently done nothing to actually to bring them there.

The New X-Men: Just in general I'd like to see more interactions between Laura and the NXM. Especially Nori, Cessily, and Sooraya, but also to see her reaction to NuRockslide.

Kimura: I always thought it was a massive missed opportunity that we never got to see Laura and Kimura forced to explore how much alike they are. Even if Kimura would be unlikely to learn anything from it, I could see Laura actually coming to pity her. A story where they're forced to put their animosity on hold to work together could be incredibly interesting, and possibly even give Kimura more development so she's not so one-dimensional. That would, of course, require Kimura's resurrection, but, y'know: Comics.

Kingpin: As X-23, Laura was one of Wilson Fisk's favorite assassins. And some of Kyle and Yost's work with her during NXM suggested he may have played something of a mentor role, as Laura does mention having learned a few things from him directly. She also made a promise to the Orphans of X to bring everyone who forced her to kill to justice. This is a relationship that bears more exploration.

Henry Sutter: This goes without saying. Does Laura even know that Henry isn't actually Sutter's son? You'd think she would have smelled it all over him.

Bellona: Apparently everyone has forgotten Laura has an MIA sister, who was last seen being taken into SHIELD custody at the beginning of Civil War II. The Old Woman Laura arc touched on it, but Bellona's whereabouts in the main Marvel universe are unknown.

Lockheed & Rachel

Last edited by K7P5V; 10-31-2022 at 06:14 PM. Reason: Made Adjustments.