Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default What went wrong with Rey's character?

I think EP7 was overall ok other than she probably could have been trained before using lightsaber. Obviously there were setup.

EP8 made a HUGE mistake that trying to focus on Kylo Ren's struggle with Luke, and making Rey a nobody's child. Thus casting Rey out of the problem but instead chose Luke to not only play a unlikeable role, but also stand in to face Kylo Ren's wrath. Rey could not receive much development because the main conflict was not about her.

EP9 made her the grandchild of Palpatine specifically to correct the mistake-LINK her with the main villain to stand in the eye of the storm. But the overall rushed plot just couldn't leave much likeable stuff, same with other characters. Every event just seems like "wut"?

Overall I don't think Rey is a Sue, while she certainly has some traits, but overall she suffered from the bad writing of EP8 and the pace of EP9,

While I don't consider Rey a "Mary Sue" and overall, like her but TLJ does create some issues for me. TLJ is the only Disney made SW product I dislike and one of my issues is there is no time jump between TFA and TLJ. We know not much time pass in the movie due to the fleet being chased and the film starts where TFA left off.

ANH and ESB have a 3-year gap for Luke to grow as a Jedi and he still got his butt handed to him by Vader.

Rey goes from someone who doesn't know the Force exist living on Jakku to the Throne room scene in what? 2 weeks or so and I'm being generous with 2 weeks.

Also, the "Nobody" thing was stupid. I may not be a fan of the prequels, but the Jedi were full of "Nobodies" in them. Unless you retcon her not having midicholorians and still being force sensitive her being a "Nobody" makes her no more special than Mace, Ahsoka, Qui-Gon, or any other Jedi/Sith not named Skywalker, Kenobi, Yoda, or Palpatine.

Extraordinary Member

I think this is the best approximation of where Rey was “done wrong”, provided we all understand that “done wrong” here means that she was underutilized, sabotaged, or ignored compared to the standards set by Luke and Anakin as protagonists of their trilogies:

1. Vulnerabilities in The Force Awakens: As much as this is her best film, by far (and I don’t think it can seriously be argued as close), it must be acknowledged that JJ Abrams and Lawrence Kasdan shackled the character to a mystery box regarding her parentage, power, and significance to the story. She still has her own character arc, mind you, and that character arc does actualize her and motivate her: she has a similar story to Luke in ANH, and while she never explicitly voices “I want to be a Jedi” like Luke does, it’s plainly shown that's her new goal, and she has a more ferocious personal feud with Kylo.

But… TFA *does* still define itself as a film making a lot of drama out of the Saga’s original central story - the Skywalker family drama. And even outside of that, Finn has a more complete and ambitious story than Rey for characters not connected to the Skywalker family drama. So when she has ambiguity and limbo as to her last and how she relates to the family drama, that puts the creators in a tight spot - the best answer to those mysteries almost HAS to be that she’s a Skywalker, or else she’s going to be at a “deficit” in significance to the larger story… and maybe more importantly, in the eyes of the audience and some creators

2. Sexist character assassination in The Last Jedi. And speaking of creators also failing to view her as important enough for the story, Rian Johnson (and sadly much of LFL) clearly became apathetic and purely exploitive of the character after they decided not to make her a Skywalker. It was a worst case scenario for that choice, you might say; the vulnerability opened up by TFA was fully realized as a liability when Johnson and LFL came in and simply focused on two Skywalker dudes instead of her…

…But TLJ also went above and beyond in screwing her over. Finn got it worse, mind you; TLJ and LFL seem to genuinely despise him for standing in a spot they want for Kylo Ren. But much like Finn, Rey also gets her characterization stripped out, as well as any believable human psychology, once Kylo is sharing the screen with her. There’s no fucking excuse for TLJ creating a toxic, cancerous, and ultimately fatal (for Kylo as well as Rey’s popularity) version of “Reylo” for the films; the ‘ship itself has been written better by countless fangirls because they at least didn’t make it about Rey being attracted by torture, mass murder, personal violation, and maiming and murdering of her friends… and nothing else.

Rey after TLJ really isn’t a lead character - and in fact, isn’t much of a character at all. She’s a personality-lacking tool the film deploys to tell the audience to care about Kylo (frankly, Daisy Ridley deserves all the credit that Adam Driver got for supposedly playing a “complex” character - Driver’s acting is wasted on a script that lacks any complexity for his actual role) or to score some shallow “performative” points as a female character in a film that is still inherently about white dudes being entitled to more than everyone else.

TLJ is mostly saying “Women can be strong too!… though they will of course be utterly submissive to the nearest white dude, and don’t really have personalities.”

3. Too little, too late in The Rise of Skywalker. TROS is a film of compromise… and sadly, some of that compromise is impossible. Too much of TLJ’s priorities are kept in TROS to actually make sure Rey get’s an adequate story; what parts of TLJ TROS respects still deprive Rey of her best enemy (Kylo), her best internal conflict (resisting the urge to murder Kylo and thus fall to the dark side), her best on-screen partner (Finn, because LFL wants that to be Ben Solo), and her best significance to the the plot (as either a Skywalker or as their only true heir as heroes.)

Rey can’t be the main star of the story if the story is resurrecting Palpatine just so Ben Solo can help fight him, but Abrams is doing his best to avoid just making the film about Ben the way LFL wants - so you get this rushed, would-work-better-if-Rey-were-a-Skywalker reveal that Rey’s Palpatine’s daughter, some hogwash about possession and a little necromancy so that Ben can “save” her twice, and clearly reluctantly-added-in kiss with Ben - and the film still kills off Ben, and thus the Skywalker family, because we all know that LFL and the audience would have seen the next story, where Ben would take center stage if alive, as the “real” sequel…

TROS, in a lot of ways, just showcases how much TLJ was a horrible film for Rey and the very concept of Rey, since it’s just keeping all the things TLJ did to her, but not concealing it by slavish devotion to Kylo/Ben itself.
    Last edited by godisawesome; 10-30-2022 at 09:15 PM.
    Like action, adventure, rogues, and outlaws? Like anti-heroes, femme fatales, mysteries and thrillers?

I wrote a book with them. Outlaw’s Shadow: A Sherwood Noir. Robin Hood’s evil counterpart, Guy of Gisbourne, is the main character. Feel free to give it a look: https://read.amazon.com/kp/embed?asi...E2PKBNJFH76GQP

Quote Originally Posted by godisawesome View Post
    I think this is the best approximation of where Rey was “done wrong”, provided we all understand that “done wrong” here means that she was underutilized, sabotaged, or ignored compared to the standards set by Luke and Anakin as protagonists of their trilogies:

1. Vulnerabilities in The Force Awakens: As much as this is her best film, by far (and I don’t think it can seriously be argued as close), it must be acknowledged that JJ Abrams and Lawrence Kasdan shackled the character to a mystery box regarding her parentage, power, and significance to the story. She still has her own character arc, mind you, and that character arc does actualize her and motivate her: she has a similar story to Luke in ANH, and while she never explicitly voices “I want to be a Jedi” like Luke does, it’s plainly shown that's her new goal, and she has a more ferocious personal feud with Kylo.

But… TFA *does* still define itself as a film making a lot of drama out of the Saga’s original central story - the Skywalker family drama. And even outside of that, Finn has a more complete and ambitious story than Rey for characters not connected to the Skywalker family drama. So when she has ambiguity and limbo as to her last and how she relates to the family drama, that puts the creators in a tight spot - the best answer to those mysteries almost HAS to be that she’s a Skywalker, or else she’s going to be at a “deficit” in significance to the larger story… and maybe more importantly, in the eyes of the audience and some creators

2. Sexist character assassination in The Last Jedi. And speaking of creators also failing to view her as important enough for the story, Rian Johnson (and sadly much of LFL) clearly became apathetic and purely exploitive of the character after they decided not to make her a Skywalker. It was a worst case scenario for that choice, you might say; the vulnerability opened up by TFA was fully realized as a liability when Johnson and LFL came in and simply focused on two Skywalker dudes instead of her…

…But TLJ also went above and beyond in screwing her over. Finn got it worse, mind you; TLJ and LFL seem to genuinely despise him for standing in a spot they want for Kylo Ren. But much like Finn, Rey also gets her characterization stripped out, as well as any believable human psychology, once Kylo is sharing the screen with her. There’s no fucking excuse for TLJ creating a toxic, cancerous, and ultimately fatal (for Kylo as well as Rey’s popularity) version of “Reylo” for the films; the ‘ship itself has been written better by countless fangirls because they at least didn’t make it about Rey being attracted by torture, mass murder, personal violation, and maiming and murdering of her friends… and nothing else.

Rey after TLJ really isn’t a lead character - and in fact, isn’t much of a character at all. She’s a personality-lacking tool the film deploys to tell the audience to care about Kylo (frankly, Daisy Ridley deserves all the credit that Adam Driver got for supposedly playing a “complex” character - Driver’s acting is wasted on a script that lacks any complexity for his actual role) or to score some shallow “performative” points as a female character in a film that is still inherently about white dudes being entitled to more than everyone else.

TLJ is mostly saying “Women can be strong too!… though they will of course be utterly submissive to the nearest white dude, and don’t really have personalities.”

3. Too little, too late in The Rise of Skywalker. TROS is a film of compromise… and sadly, some of that compromise is impossible. Too much of TLJ’s priorities are kept in TROS to actually make sure Rey get’s an adequate story; what parts of TLJ TROS respects still deprive Rey of her best enemy (Kylo), her best internal conflict (resisting the urge to murder Kylo and thus fall to the dark side), her best on-screen partner (Finn, because LFL wants that to be Ben Solo), and her best significance to the the plot (as either a Skywalker or as their only true heir as heroes.)

Rey can’t be the main star of the story if the story is resurrecting Palpatine just so Ben Solo can help fight him, but Abrams is doing his best to avoid just making the film about Ben the way LFL wants - so you get this rushed, would-work-better-if-Rey-were-a-Skywalker reveal that Rey’s Palpatine’s daughter, some hogwash about possession and a little necromancy so that Ben can “save” her twice, and clearly reluctantly-added-in kiss with Ben - and the film still kills off Ben, and thus the Skywalker family, because we all know that LFL and the audience would have seen the next story, where Ben would take center stage if alive, as the “real” sequel…

TROS, in a lot of ways, just showcases how much TLJ was a horrible film for Rey and the very concept of Rey, since it’s just keeping all the things TLJ did to her, but not concealing it by slavish devotion to Kylo/Ben itself.
    Actually it's not about Rey/Kylo Ren, but Rian Johnson chose to bring up Kylo Ren as the main villain and set his main issue to be with Luke.

Then he made Rey a nobody, so Rey could have little to do with the main conflict at all.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Slowpokeking View Post
    Actually it's not about Rey/Kylo Ren, but Rian Johnson chose to bring up Kylo Ren as the main villain and set his main issue to be with Luke.

Then he made Rey a nobody, so Rey could have little to do with the main conflict at all.
    I think the intent was to make it about Luke first and foremost, but both the way the film tries to blame Luke for Kylo, and the natural consequences of ignoring Rey except in how she can help the story make it seem like Kylo has a point or a reason to be vindictive makes Kylo more important than just an antagonist (even if he’s insubstantial and inadequate as anything else).

And then , once Luke is dead, the formula for Rey and Kylo is the same - Kylo is the “real” attraction to TLJ fans, not Rey, and Rey isn’t even really a character, but a tool for making Kylo’s story work. You’re dead right that it’s not about Rey - but the second Luke’s dead, the fact Kylo has an unequal, parasitic relationship to Rey *and even to Luke* means that it *does* become about Kylo.

LFL’s visions for Episode 9 became Kylo/Ben propped up by the Former Character Known As Rey because Luke dies at the end of TLJ, making it so that, to LFL, the only real plot-line they wanted seen across all three ST films was of Ben Solo emerging as the main attraction and story, with Rey simply facilitating that and reflecting their obsession with Kylo.

It’s one of things that made Rian Johnson’s story in TLJ so poisonous for Rey overall. He was already “demanding” the audience reinterpret and retcon the torture/violation scene in TFA into some kind of pseudo-“meet cute” in favor of Kylo, whether he relaized that or got lost in his own privilege… and because he was already having that kind of impact going backwards into the better written movie, that impact of course carried over into the next films as well.
    Like action, adventure, rogues, and outlaws? Like anti-heroes, femme fatales, mysteries and thrillers?

I wrote a book with them. Outlaw’s Shadow: A Sherwood Noir. Robin Hood’s evil counterpart, Guy of Gisbourne, is the main character. Feel free to give it a look: https://read.amazon.com/kp/embed?asi...E2PKBNJFH76GQP

Rey reminds me of the 13th Doctor from Doctor who. They are both likable but undercooked as characters. Focusing on who her parents were was a mistake and I prefer 8's approach over 9's. But I'm biased as I'm not a huge fan of the original trilogy and Palpatine was a character I never liked. So Rey being his grandkid was always gonna be unappealing to me. It might’ve worked better if she already knew it and was hiding it from Finn and the others.
    Last edited by the illustrious mr. kenway; 10-31-2022 at 05:39 PM.

Mighty Member

The main issue, there was no strict plan. Rey being a nobody was actually kind of great, it went away from the eugenics of Episode 1 and said "Anyone can be a Jedi" which... yeah, is a much better message than "Only People with good blood can be Jedi".

The problem, there was a good set up to clear everything up. You could have easily explained Rey knowing the force with a simple "She was a pupil of Luke's".

They could have done 100 different things, but they went with the laziest option.

Quote Originally Posted by FFJamie94 View Post
    The main issue, there was no strict plan. Rey being a nobody was actually kind of great, it went away from the eugenics of Episode 1 and said "Anyone can be a Jedi" which... yeah, is a much better message than "Only People with good blood can be Jedi".

The problem, there was a good set up to clear everything up. You could have easily explained Rey knowing the force with a simple "She was a pupil of Luke's".

They could have done 100 different things, but they went with the laziest option.
    This is never a issue, Obi Wan and Yoda are both nobody, same with all the PT Jedi.

I think the lack of planning didn't help. Case in point, we've had interviews confirming that her backstory was always in flux (to the point that Daisy Ridley herself went on record that she didn't know for sure who Rey's parents would be in Rise of Skywalker until the movie came out). Kinda seems like both Last Jedi and Rise of Skywalker covered the same ground ("who is Rey and what does she do with that knowledge when she discovers it?") from different angles (Last Jedi going for the idea that she's don't have any past to speak of, with Rise having her discover that she came from the worst place imaginable). Heck, both even had the same conclusion that the person she is is what matters, not who her parents were and what they'd done. Had we gotten just one movie with dealing with that and the other one either building up to it or taking her beyond it (depending if you want the revelation to be in the middle or end of the trilogy), that might've made for a stronger arc.

I think Force Awakens and Last Jedi work together pretty well, with Rise of Skywalker being where things go off the rails (all the stories get pretty muddled, IMHO), but pulling of a good ending that deserved a better setup. I'd also argue that Daisy Ridley deserves credit for soldiering on through the rough patches and making them work as much as they can. So, I'd rate it overall as a good concept that had a few flaws in the execution.
    Doctor Strange: "You are the right person to replace Logan."
    X-23: "I know there are people who disapprove... Guys on the Internet mainly."
    (All-New Wolverine #4)

Astonishing Member

Her origin with influx from TFA to TROS. For example according to Ridley in TFA she was suppose to be related to Obi-Wan. In TLJ, she's Rey Nobody. And in Trevorrow's Duel of the Fates she's Rey Solana and of course in TROS, she's Rey Palpatine. It seems like the directors never agreed on an origin and were constantly undermining each other with their own ideas.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by the illustrious mr. kenway View Post
    Rey reminds me of the 13th Doctor from Doctor who. They are both likable but undercooked as characters. Focusing on who her parents were was a mistake and I prefer 8's approach over 9's. But I'm biased as I'm not a huge fan of the original trilogy and Palpatine was a character I never liked. So Rey being his grandkid was always gonna be unappealing to me. It might’ve worked better if she already knew it and was hiding it from Finn and the others.
    I don't see how 8 (TLJ) could possibly be considered a good turn for Rey, whether as to who she is as an individual person or who she is in relation to others.

Rey Random is a hard sell in the first place as anything special or meaningful, in spite of what others may try and argue - there is NO actual eugenics story, or "blood supremacy," or anything like that except in TLJ, which is really more just the story being biased towards the family story because of course it would. Everyone already knows Jedi come from anywhere - and since the Skywalkers emerge from nowhere, even they don't contradict that.

What the Skywalkers DO actually bring to the table is a family story the audience is already invested in and desire to be repeated - and generally, that even holds true for people who claim that Rey Random is a good idea, since they generally tolerate or even like Kylo Ren, who only gets treated the way he does because of the family connection.

Seriously - I can't take defenders of the Rey Random plotline seriously if they still think there's anything remotely interesting or compelling about Kylo in TLJ.

That film just supplants Rey in a sexist and disgusting way for Kylo's "story" just because Kylo has the family connection, while all of Adam Driver's talent is being put into playing a shallow, unsympathetic and uncomplicated monster.

Rey Random COULD work... but TLJ shows why it almost certainly wouldn't; if professional Star Wars fans like Pablo Hidalgo and film professionals like Kathleen Kennedy could immediately start objectifying and overlooking Rey as just Kylo's arm candy when she wasn't a Skywalker, then it really shouldn't be any wonder that, after TLJ, the only fans of Rey that were happy were also fans of a toxic, abusive Kylo-centric relationship, or who weren't really interested in the characters compared to the setting in the first place.

I don't see how 8 (TLJ) could possibly be considered a good turn for Rey, whether as to who she is as an individual person or who she is in relation to others.

Rey Random is a hard sell in the first place as anything special or meaningful, in spite of what others may try and argue - there is NO actual eugenics story, or "blood supremacy," or anything like that except in TLJ, which is really more just the story being biased towards the family story because of course it would. Everyone already knows Jedi come from anywhere - and since the Skywalkers emerge from nowhere, even they don't contradict that.

What the Skywalkers DO actually bring to the table is a family story the audience is already invested in and desire to be repeated - and generally, that even holds true for people who claim that Rey Random is a good idea, since they generally tolerate or even like Kylo Ren, who only gets treated the way he does because of the family connection.

Seriously - I can't take defenders of the Rey Random plotline seriously if they still think there's anything remotely interesting or compelling about Kylo in TLJ.

That film just supplants Rey in a sexist and disgusting way for Kylo's "story" just because Kylo has the family connection, while all of Adam Driver's talent is being put into playing a shallow, unsympathetic and uncomplicated monster.

Rey Random COULD work... but TLJ shows why it almost certainly wouldn't; if professional Star Wars fans like Pablo Hidalgo and film professionals like Kathleen Kennedy could immediately start objectifying and overlooking Rey as just Kylo's arm candy when she wasn't a Skywalker, then it really shouldn't be any wonder that, after TLJ, the only fans of Rey that were happy were also fans of a toxic, abusive Kylo-centric relationship, or who weren't really interested in the characters compared to the setting in the first place.
    True, EP8 set the plot to be a Skywalker family drama, so Rey Random would be cast out from the center.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Slowpokeking View Post
    True, EP8 set the plot to be a Skywalker family drama, so Rey Random would be cast out from the center.
    And again, you *can* tell a Rey Random story - but it has to be a Rey Random story.

It then can't be a story where Kylo's parentage matters or even where Luke's story is anywhere even approaching the same importance as Rey's. There's too much weight in the family story, and for Luke by himself even, to treat any non-Skywalker or non-Luke character as the protagonist if either the family or Luke are significant to the story; there's too many "acts" and way too much time in the Skywalker and Luke stories already for anyone who doesn't have a comparative importance to try and make them "co-stars."

I'd argue that, on a slightly different but related note, the Rey Palpatine story *is* a Rey Palpatine story in TROS... but is still handicapped because Kylo can't be her co-star and co-protagonist and not strictly her antagonist, no matter how much his own story is handicapped - because again, the family story has too much significance.

Even adding in Palpatine's own history and importance to Rey's as background fodder still leaves her at a deficit compared to Kylo with the Skywalkers as his - because Rey has just Palpatine, while Kylo has Han, Leia, Luke, Anakin, Shmi, Padme, and even Obi-Wan in a surrogate manner behind him. He *could* maybe not be a parasitic co-lead if he were just the villain, and Rey and the audience were allowed to hate him - because then, he's strictly subservient to her story, and she's allowed to react to him as a person... and as a person, Ben/Kylo is a reedy, insubstantial jackass who's not overshadowing anyone.

But make his heritage matter, and Rey's in trouble - even as he's doomed because Rey being in that much trouble would ultimately force LFL to take action to preserve face after the farce they let their "female lead" become.

Even Rey Palpatine would have worked better if Kylo were just a detestable scumbag she could hate and the audience would be glad to see dead... but that of course again highlights how much the family matters, because no one ta LFL was ever willing to consider that.

Ep7 felt more of Finn's movie while 8 did more for Rey and Poe to me. In 7, she's Finn's morality pet/tagalong rather than a secondary protagonist. The stuff with her parents and her reluctance to leave is OK just undercooked. 8 explored it more and made it a flaw she had to overcome. She's desperate to belong and wants a larger than life reason for her problems. Turns out her life is completely random and that's normal. It puts the onus on her to live a good one. Kylo works as a foil because he's someone consumed with the past and his legacy that he uses it as an excuse for what he does. He squandered his chance at redemption.

I saw at as a deconstruction of the Vader Twist. Rey Palpatine felt more like a cheap attempt at recapturing that magic without understanding why it worked in the first place.

That doesn't mean 8 is flawless cause it botches Finn's arc and the romantic angle could've been frame better but that doesn't mean it didn't have good points.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by the illustrious mr. kenway View Post
    Ep7 felt more of Finn's movie while 8 did more for Rey and Poe to me. In 7, she's Finn's morality pet/tagalong rather than a secondary protagonist. The stuff with her parents and her reluctance to leave is OK just undercooked. 8 explored it more and made it a flaw she had to overcome. She's desperate to belong and wants a larger than life reason for her problems. Turns out her life is completely random and that's normal. It puts the onus on her to live a good one. Kylo works as a foil because he's someone consumed with the past and his legacy that he uses it as an excuse for what he does. He squandered his chance at redemption.

I saw at as a deconstruction of the Vader Twist. Rey Palpatine felt more like a cheap attempt at recapturing that magic without understanding why it worked in the first place.

That doesn't mean 8 is flawless cause it botches Finn's arc and the romantic angle could've been frame better but that doesn't mean it didn't have good points.
    I think you put it well in concept, but you’re overlooking the actual substance in the context - no one in LFL or the larger fandom of TLJ really gave a **** about Rey because that’s not enough of a story to stand tall in a multi generation story, or even just compared to the stories for new characters in the ST itself.

Who really gives a damn about Rey being from a random family if Finn is as well and has a clearly superior story? Not many, it seems - and LFL also shows they didn’t give a damn about Finn *because* he was “just a random dude” when they wanted to focus on Kylo because Kylo has the family connection.

Who really gives a **** about her “having the onus on her to live a good life” if that's on *everyone*? Hell, who gives a **** about that when Kylo’s got a multi-decade and multi-generation long story that he fits into? Certainly not TLJ, and I’ll be honest, it doesn’t seem to correlate to any interest in Rey as a character either.

Who gives a **** about Kylo being a foil to Rey when, in practice, this really just means that Kylo’s story has substance and weight to it, because that substance comes form multiple other characters for Kylo and Rey has nothing - except Kylo’s abusive interest in her? Certainly not Rian Johnson - thus why it’s a toxic, cancerous story of no artistic merit whenever they’re on screen together.

Hell, even in a concept level - who really gives a **** about “deconstructing the Vader reveal” that way if all it means is “there is nothing interesting about this character? 99.9% of Star Wars characters aren’t related to anyone interesting and that fact isn’t interesting - their stories are.

Vader being revealed as Luke’s father WAS the deconstruction - it’s what elevated the story in the first place, so deconstructing the deconstruction just demotes the story.

All TLJ does is make Rey “some girl with powers,” much like how it screwed over Finn for being “some dude in the story”… and that’s exactly why the film took a **** on Finn and made Rey and Kylo’s relationship toxic. Rey and Finn are BOTH actual characters in TFA - one reason why her story is better there than in TLJ, where their both archetypes the story isn’t interested in.

Flat out - no one really cares about Rey Random, because being Random doesn’t actually matter.

TLJ is a movie where only Somebodies matter, and Nobodies are only plot tools - and by TLJ’s own calculation, Rey is a Nobody.